Google Nexus 7 priced from $199/£159, out July

Thursday, 28th June 2012 07:26 GMT By Matt Williams

Google made a slew of Android announcements in San Francisco overnight, including confirmation that its Nexus 7 tablet will release this July at a $199 starting point.

Speaking at Google I/O 2012, the company announced that Android has now surpassed 400 million device activations, with 1 million new Android-powered devices being activated every day. According to Google Android product management director Hugo Barra there has been nearly 300 million activations since I/O 2011.

Google also revealed that the latest version of the operating system will release sometime this July. Android 4.1, nicknamed Jelly Bean, will feature voice typing, a more intuitive arrangement of icons, and the introduction of a new service called Google Now.

Jelly Bean will come pre-installed on the Google Nexus 7 tablet, due for release this July. Unveiled during the company’s main presentation, the tablet will feature a 7-inch, 1280×800 IPS display, and will be powered by Nvidia’s Tegra 3 quad-core processor.

In terms of pricing, the device will cost $199 for an 8GB model and $249 for a 16GB model. Pre-orders are available now through Google Play. The 8GB version is coming to the UK in mid-July for £159. The 16GB device hits retailers July 27 for £199.

Google’s move will be seen in certain circles as yet further confirmation that the future of video games is tablet-shaped.

1. GrimRita

No matter how you look at it, this is cheap. Especially when compared to the over priced fad ipad.

2. Patrick Garratt

About £125 is fucking crazy cheap. A Kindle Touch costs £100.

3. Christopher Jack

@2, Don’t expect it to be that low in Europe, I’d be expecting $300 for Australia & that’s still not bad for what this offers. However, I’d like to know why they have forgone HDMI & SD card support, why do so many of these OEMs forgo SD? It’s a cheap way to add an extra 32 or so GB to the device.

4. Dave Oshry

I just ordered mine. ^__^

5. OwnedWhenStoned

Wanted to pre order, can’t because I’m in Germany.

6. JimFear-666

i was thinking about getting the MS tablet but for 200$ im gonna get the google one.

7. Patrick Garratt

@3 – Yeah, it’s a bit featureless. V1 though, I guess, and it is really cheap, although I’m sure you’re right about it being more over here. I just hope it’s more than an Angry Birds screen.

8. G1GAHURTZ

Pat!

One question. Did you fire Johnny?

9. Patrick Garratt

@8 – Come on. It’s private stuff. Ask him, if you like.

10. StolenGlory

I think for the amount of dosh that they are asking for, the tablet is hugely awesome value for money. From a spec and OS point of view it’s positively orgasmic.

Also, while the omitted SD card support is a bit shit, surely the fact that it has USB functionality would hopefully mean that you could jury-rig some sort of external USB storage or card reader?

@8 Holy shit mate, that’s a bit brazen. Especially in a public forum and all.

11. GrimRita

@7 It will probably sell. The first iphone/ipad had sweet FA on it and sold like hot cakes. Providing the wifi works and you can browser the web, and a few other tricks, it will sell.

Pricing in Europe of course will be the biggest issue. But I cant see it being anywhere near as stupid as an ipad

12. G1GAHURTZ

OK, I apologise…

13. Kabby

This looks pretty good and it’s relatively cheap. Well done Google and Asus. Possibly too late to the party but a good try.

If Google+/Play wasn’t a ghost town it would offer even more value to consumers. Some work to do there, Google.

14. Patrick Garratt

UK prices added.

15. Kabby

Do you have a tablet, Pat? Just curious.

16. aseddon130

Android blows chunks. fact.

17. tenthousandgothsonacid

I was sacked from my last job (which was fine as I hated it and I’m much happier now and officially I resigned anyway) for internet overuse. vg247 was specifically mentioned in my disciplinary hearing :)

18. Patrick Garratt

@15 – Nope! I reckon I’ll get one in the next year. Maybe two, tbh. I’m going to need an iPad for work before too long, and it seems silly to not have a Google tab if they’re only £150.

19. Patrick Garratt

@17 – Ha!

20. OwnedWhenStoned

Mine is ordered thanks to a UK friend. For this price, why not.