Tekken creator “can’t continue to engage the negative” fans

Tuesday, 26th June 2012 05:38 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Katsuhiro Harada seems to have reached the end of his patience when it comes to the constant complaints and demands of Tekken fans.

The Namco veteran posted a lengthy rant to Twitter asking fans to think before voicing negative comments, and refusing to engage with detractors any further.

“I believe that, before whining and complaining about everything, you need practice at taking a step back and analyzing things objectively. And also at being an adult,” Harada said, apparently in response to fan complaints about voice actors.

Harada then provided a lengthy explanation for why voice actors change over time, noting that even when Namco continues using original recorded data fans complain that the sound has changed.

“I have even complied to the requests of you all spamming me to ‘bring back characters’ from previous instalments. You often say, ‘Let’s show the dev team how sincere we are by buying two copies if they bring back character X’, but did you really go through with it?” Harada added, segueing into another frequent source of arguments with players.

“I will continue to sincerely comply with fan requests. However, I can’t continue to engage the negative ones that, without knowing what you are talking about, or even thinking about what you are saying, blindly repeat ‘bring back, bring back, bring back…’

“After this lengthy explanation, I will be quite surprised if there are still people who still don’t get it. Thanks for understanding or not understanding. Whatever,” the frustrated developed concluded.

Despite language barriers, Harada is among one of the most responsive development figures, often spending hours engaging with fans and detractors on Twitter and through other social and community forums.

1. shogoz

how absolutely unprofessional. I hope people stop buying stuff that he’s helped create over the comments he made. what a douchebag. i for one aren’t going to buy the horseshit games he will help produce just like I won’t go into a shop anymore after i’ve been treated like shit by employees

2. khemphoud

@shogoz I’m afraid you’re totally wrong about Mr Harada. He’s one of the few honest guys in the video game’s industry, you better check his stance regarding DLC policy. There’s nothing to criticize about his behaviour, I suggest you to have a look to what some idiot are saying to him through Twitter. I believe no normal human can deal with that much stupid comments … however Mr Harada is facing the heat daily and doing his best to read and reply everyone’s tweets.

I personnaly am following a lot of Video Game directors and I can guarantee you that Mr Harada is the only one who interracts a lot with his fans, he’s an amazing guy. You should reconsider your opinion about him, shogoz.

3. YoungZer0

@1: Yes, punish him for his honesty.

I think it’s actually a breath of fresh air to hear none of the typical PR Bullshit, but honest frustration. I can respect that. Developers are people too, and like all people, they have their limits.

4. SplatteredHouse

@2′s Khempoud’s right about Mr. Harada. He took a moment yes, to vent a little, but also then to point out the issues which prevent him from complying with certain popular requests from fans. He wasn’t unreasonable, or rude. But, explained what happens during the production process, and around voice talents, and contracts for anybody who might not see the reality of the situation. Mr. Harada deals with people very fairly, and engages with people of all sorts of opinion about his games.

5. Yoshi

To be honest the last single Takken game I was tempted to buy but then it has all that gun shit.

6. Gheritt White

Can’t wait for Tekken Tag 2 – hopefully it’ll turn out to be the fighting game of this gen after the bitter disappointment that was Soul Calibur 5.

7. gamergirl

i just made an account to say i absolutely love tekken ever since i played it on te sony then was happy to see it on xbox, it is still my favourite fighter game. The story te designs its all amazing and keeps gettin better, I am drawing Devil Jin by hand =) its challanging but lovin it Thank You for creating Tekken!!! so dont stop tekken take all te time you need =D its inspiring