There isn’t “a need for a re-look,” at Vita says Sony’s House

Tuesday, 19th June 2012 14:58 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

SCE president and group CEO Andrew House doesn’t think Sony needs to pull a Nintendo by dropping the price of its new handheld in order to sway the market in its favor. At least, not yet.

Speaking in an interview with MCV, House said even with a bit of a slow start, there isn’t “a need for a re-look,” at Vita as Sony proved during E3 the system can “deliver very differentiated ‘only on Vita’ extensions of great console games.”

“We thought we gave Vita a good shout during the conference. We demonstrated by highlighting things like YouTube, that there is commitment to give the range of network services, making sure that it has a multi-functional aspect,” he said,” and then I think there is another opportunity, a sort of third pillar to the strategy, which is how we can fully take advantage of a digitally connected device.

“To explore access to different kinds of content and new content models – starting with PSOne and leveraging the assets that we already have. I joked that the movie studios have been doing this for 50 years. And we as an industry are starting to get to grips with that.”

House said due to the “very competitive space,” in the market, Sony needs to put more emphasis the various experiences which “define and differentiate Vita.”

“That is always going to be one of its objectives. But there needs to be a reinforcement on that,” he explained. “It is for us, the first truly networked portable device in our proprietary gaming space, there is a need to think more broadly about the implications of that for our business model, and to think about how the consumer wants to acquire content.”

House said that over 20% of content on Vita is being delivered digitally, proving to Sony that the consumer has “an appetite in this space.”

“It just creates a need for us to think through our business model in a broader way than before.”

1. Noodlemanny

I really hope the vita starts picking up soon, its a good piece of kit and it could create some real serous innovation not only for the handheld but for gaming as well. Hopefully games like Ass 3, Bioshock and even COD will show developers and publishers alike that there is a market in the vita and that it can bring revenue. Then we’ll start seeing the goods.

2. Razor

I beg to differ, Mr. House.

3. OlderGamer

TBH Noodle, I am not sure if there is an actual market for something like Vita in the west. Almost everyone I know that owns a handheld is a kid under that age of 16. And it is one form or another of a gameboy. Now if you count phones and tablets, then I know a lot of adults that own handhelds.

I think Vita is just too much tech too high of a price for the NA market. If I was buying a handheld for my 11yr old, it would be a Nintendo system. Cheaper, tons of games, doesn’t do things that an 11yr doesn’t need, etc.

4. DrDamn

I don’t know whether it is symptomatic of the system or the particular game, but Everybodies Golf has leaderboard which give you an indication of the age the player said they were. Vast majority were in the 20-29 and 30-39 brackets. Quite a lot in the latter. Mostly male too incidentally.

They do need to appeal more to a younger audience, but that push should be centred more around Christmas.

5. Moonwalker1982

I hope the Vita gets some great games. But at the same time i don’t care that much, cause when i play games, it’s always at home. And at home it’s consolegaming and handhelds are used for collecting dust…sadly.

6. lexph3re

Well problem with appealing to the younger audience is first appealing to the parents wallet. I have tons of kids that see me with my Vita because of my Job and go nuts for it. however, the first thing they ssy is “I want one of those!…. but my mom/dad says it cost to much.” Kids now and days aren’t like us when we were little.

10 year olds use tablets with general ease. And the way tbe Vita is laid out its perfect for their Generation. Unfortunately it is just to expensive to the parents.

If Sony were to drop the price i think the Vita will have a very comfortable home in NA

7. Khan979

I bought a vita at release and am very happy with it. People complain about content, but to be honest I think that there are quite a few good games on it already for as new of a system as it is. In my opinion, I have no doubts that sales will eventually pick up whether that is because of new titles coming out, or because they eventually drop the price, or maybe even a combination of both…eventually it will sell, it’s too good of a system supported by a good company not to.

People want the price drop, and I am sure that cutting the price will make them sell a significantly larger amount of PSV’s but in my opinion it is well worth the price it is at now. the system is absolutely amazing, I have not heard one person that has actually bought the system and played it say that it isn’t. And as far as content, there are alot of games on the horizon, in combination with the games that are out there.

8. Dragon246

@7,
    People who say vita has bad launch titles are plain foolish or ninty fanboys. What you said is completely true.
    There are at least 60 more games to vita coming this year.

9. Moonwalker1982

Compared to the 3DS at launch…and still really in my opinion, it was alot better. But the expectations for E3 were big and they didn’t deliver at all. Aside from the new Assassin’s Creed and Soul Sacrifice next year…what else is there? I want to see some JRPGs on it or WRPGs for that matter, a new Killzone which was said to be in the making. But especially some great exclusives. Not this shit like Sony Smash Bros coming to PS3 and Vita….or Sly Raccoon…all ports, i want exclusives.

10. TMRNetShark

Phones are the new handheld gaming devices… There is quite a few games (some even amazing) on the iPhone and Android phones… most ranging from $.99-$4.99. Would would I need to buy a $250 mobile device, another $35 for only 8 GBs (when my iPhone has 32 GBs), I have to pay at least $40 for games, AND it can’t fit in my pocket?

Honestly, the only mobile device that I would own now a days would be a Gameboy Micro. At least that can play Advance Wars or Zelda and it can fit in the same pocket as my phone.

Make SMALLER devices… not bigger ones.

11. DrDamn

There is a decent selection of games for the Vita in the lower price ranges, at or under £5. Couple of really good bargains like Everybody’s Golf for £8 and Unit 13 for £15 at the moment too.

12. OlderGamer

Doc, no doubt at this point the user base for Vita is likly in the 25-35 range for the bulk of them. But that is what I was talking about. Because while a lot of the users here are in that range and would prolly disagree with me, I don’t think that demographic alone is large enough to allow the Vita to compete with 3DS. It might not even be large enough to sustain the system long term.

By in large in NA handheld players tend to be kids. Not exclusivly of course. But its true. The same age range that owns Vita, also own 3DS(even I will be buying one of those this xmass)(for me), but the Gameboy audiance goes far beyond just those Vita users age ranges.

That has been industry thorne in the side of games this entire generation really…how to appeal to the traditonal heavy spending “core” demographics and still include a wider audiance. Trust me, expensive hardware is not the right first step.

If sony can match the 3DS price, and start the games flowing they will be fine. I don’t think that will happen. I do think Vita will be fine, but never a monster hit. I tried to say that when the Vita was launching but some folks just went bonkers in love with it. But Nintendo owns the handheld space. It isn’t about tech savy hardware, it is about games and price. And Vita just doesn’t compete right now in either area.