Microsoft to hand out rewards for Xbox Live Achievements starting this fall

Tuesday, 19th June 2012 18:36 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

A tweet from Xbox LIVE Rewards suggests that soon, 360 users may earn rewards for earning Achievements in games. Here’s the tweet: “We’ve hit 50,000 followers, which means it’s time for an announcement! Coming Fall: a new way to earn Rewards based on your Achievements.” That’s pretty much it, but since Xbox LIVE Rewards hands out free Microsoft Points when users complete objectives and other XBL interactions, it’s assumed players will earn points in some capacity for this. Thanks, Videogamer.

1. ManuOtaku

Well thats a good thing, this should be part of the whole idea of achivements/trophys since the very beginnig, but is never to late, good thing

2. OrbitMonkey

To all those guys who think cheevo whoring is silly… Bet your feeling silly now eh?! Eh!!?

3. Gadzooks!

I’m not going to get too excited. I bet they only give out virtual T-shirts or something. MS don’t usually let money flow AWAY from them. ;)

Not gonna stop me being a cheevwhore though. Willy-waving numbers aside, I’ve found plenty of cool hidden things and tried new ways of playing certain games because achievements have required it.

Of course I wouldn’t cheevewhore a game I didn’t enjoy, but I definitely get more value from games because of achievements.

4. Anders

Thousands of hours in front of my TV, justified!

5. OlderGamer

I bet Gad is right, prolly just gonna be avatar swag, but that us better then nothing. If your into that type of thing of course.

6. Da Man

I bet it’s NA only..

7. absolutezero

Sales of the Xploder save system just jumped up I guess.

The addition of Achievements and Stat whoring in general added nothing positive to the online space. It made people more angry and more attached than they ever should be reducing something to have fun with into some to get angry over.

8. drewbles82

Achievements definitely give games more play, otherwise how many games would you just stop playing once you complete the game. Instead you can get achievements for 100% the game which involves, collecting, side missions and all sorts.

9. Gheritt White

@ #6: I bet it’s a Kinect initiative.