EA Origin sale offers up to 87.5% discount

Monday, 18th June 2012 12:09 GMT By Stace Harman

EA is offering substantial discounts on 18 titles available through its digital distribution service, Origin. The discounts come despite comments made earlier this month by Origin head, David DeMartini, who said that Valve risked cheapening intellectual property by offering heavy discounts through its weekend Steam sales.

At the beginning of June, Origin boss, David DeMartini said of the deep discounts sometimes offered through Steam:

“We won’t be doing that. Obviously [Steam] thinks it’s the right thing to do after a certain amount of time. I just think it cheapens your intellectual property.”

However, Origin is currently offering 18 titles at £5 each, with discounts ranging from 37.5 percent on action-puzzler Warp to a whopping 87.5 percent on RPG Dragon Age: Origins, which has been reduced from its list price of £39.99. A number of titles have been reduced by 50 percent or more.

Thanks, RPS.

1. Gheritt White

I don’t understand the hatred for Origin, seems to be a perfectly reasonable online retail and distribution platform to me.

2. Erthazus

^ Crappy service, worst support, lags, not enough features compared to Steam or other alternatives, “Single publisher vs. multiple”. I don’t want to install another service that will eat my memory, pricing issues.

3. roadkill

Woah Erthazus! Hold it right there! I agree with everything but 1 thing.. lag? How is Origin laggy?

edit: Hmm. Prices are good. Too bad I already own almost everything from there. :)) But Warp is interesting. Has anyone played it? How is it?

4. GrimRita

So they slate Steam for discounting and then they follow suit. What a bunch of tits. So essentially, these IPs must feel really cheap, if you are to believe David DeMartini.

5. Maximum Payne

@2 eating memory ?
    Come on dude , you have 8gig or even more ram :D

6. Giskard

@2 Support is fine, hasn’t lagged for me ever. I have enough memory to support a tiny tiny application. Nothing wrong with Origin, really.

@4 Warp is good fun. It’s sort of a top down action puzzler.

7. Erthazus

@5, when Origin is glitchy it does not matter. Your PC is a clusterfuck when that thing tries to download something.

8. Yoshi

Ohh but Origin… I thought you said you hated sales because it devalues the product?

9. sh4dow

And not to forget that EA supported SOPA

10. TheBlackHole

Never had an issue with Origin. Works fine for me.

Prefer Steam, but then who doesn’t.

11. DSB

I guess they’re trying to get in before the Steam Summer sale.

It does make them look like complete idiots considering their recent statements though. Welcome to Target!

12. OlderGamer

Ima stay with Steam thnx anyways EA.

13. runbmp

Thanks EA, but honestly, you’d have to pay me to play your games. I have a lot of the respect for the artist and dev teams but the upper management echelons have seriously damaged this company.

It answers to its shareholders before its gamers. Steam doesn’t, its that much closer to its consumer base.

14. NeoSquall

If Origin supported Steam Achievements or put out something as pervasive and universally sought after, I’m pretty sure that 99,975% of the Origin haters would quiet down.
    The rest is just Erthazus.

Even the possibility to cross-register your Origin games into Steam (the other way around already works, I did it with my Alice: Madness Returns grabbed at its recent Steam Sale) would tremendously benefit EA, IMHO.

15. TheBlackHole

“Ima stay with Steam thnx anyways EA.”

Because of course having both is not an option?

Never saw you as a typical fanboy OG.

16. DSB

@14 I think that’s exactly why that isn’t going to happen.

EA doesn’t do anything just to improve their service. They don’t lift a finger unless it makes money on the dollar.

They could’ve finished Origin and made sure it had basic functionality, but instead they released a client that made you do everything yourself. Want to uninstall a game? Here’s the control panel, enjoy.

Wow, thanks Origin. If it wasn’t for you, I’d be doing the exact same thing!

They did release it, because they knew that it would make them more money on the short term, than if they took their time and did it properly. Quality was never an object, it was just a question of head-over-heels profiteering.

That mentality pervades the whole company, and I don’t see how they are ever going to change.

Their equally boneheaded approach to PR won’t do them any favors either. David DeMartini obviously doesn’t realize that people will remember what he said a week ago, today.

What EA and countless other corporations have chosen to completely ignore is that trust is money. People trust Steam more than they trust EA, and for good reason.

Valve believes they win if they provide a better service point for point. EA believes they win if they find another way to rake in more money right here, right now.

17. OlderGamer

TheBlackHole, I don’t see it as a fanboy type thing.

More of a situation where I have all of my games in one place. I have my friends and family there too. There just isn’t a need for me to suport another front end game distribution interface/store front.

Community is one of the great things about Steam. Origins just devides that. Basicly EA just wants their “own” Steam. In truth I think we will start seeing more an dmore of this type of thing going forward. I really believe that PC will win out in the long run over consoles. Well, let me clarify. Game “services” will win out, and PC will be a huge part of that. I fully expect MS to expand LIVE next gen to cover multiple devices like Tablets, Phones, and PC. I know they dable now, but I mean full fledge Steam/Origin style services. I think it is reasonable for Activision to use battlenet. And I think publishers will carry their franchises and brand across multi platforms. Maybe they stream them, maybe just downloads, but I think that is where it is heading. I think the platform you play on will matter less then it does now, might be an xbox interface, a Playstation one, an Apple one, a PC, or even a tablet.

I just don’t like it. I want to stick with steam. One place, all of my games, all of my friends. No need for multiple accounts, each with their own log in and interfaces and community. I play a lot of MMOs and when I do I am the type that puts all of his toons in the same guild. I don’t like to seperate my toons into three or four or more different guilds. I look at these type of services the same type of way.

I am not gaming to support EA. Or Steam for that matter. I am a gamer, and those services need to bend to support my needs and wants. Steam does that, it gives me what I am looking for, and does so at very fair prices. And as for price, remember the crap EA spewed about not doing Steam style sales? And now look…

I am a gamer first, but some companies I don’t realy like doing bizz with. MS, EA, and blizz for example. That doesn’t mean I won’t play their games. I play EA sports games every year, and am activly playing WoW, and I own a xbox360. But EA can’t launch Origin, claim they are just like or better then Steam and expect me to come running. I looked at Origin, wasn’t impressed and don’t feel the need to use it.

I am VERY happy with Steam.

So, to me, it is more of a situation of me going with the service that I like more, rather then having unfounded hatred for a different service. Thats just being a consumer, really.

18. bo_7md

Agreed, Origin have no issues here as well. as for service I’ve had issues with steam far more times than origin– I have more games on steam– It’s not about the number though it’s about the nature of the problems.

Steam for example will let you rot if you have an issue in the weekend, and they more than once sold me a game –and kept it on for sale– when they had no access codes left.

Anyways, everything has the good the;the bad; and the ugly so it’s a valid option to go with all of the current E-sellers.

EA, even as a single publisher has many titles you can’t get anywhere else-ME3, Sims, BF3 and DA- they also picked up a few 3rd party publishers.

19. DSB

@18 In my experience it’s only Sundays and certain holidays. I’ve never had to wait for more than 24 hours on a response, even during sales.

Honestly I prefer that over someone who barely speaks English and just feeds me pre-read lines in an unintentionally condescending tone.

“Hello %Name, I’m Nancy, I’m SO SORRY you have problams wit our service!”

I guess it depends on your temperament, but I can wait a bit if it means getting someone who speaks English, and actually knows what they’re doing.

Outsourcing support to people in hamster cages somewhere in India or China is just more trouble than it’s worth.

20. Len

Origin is ok, nowt special but it’ll do so I can play bf3. They fixed the mem issues with the last beta of it. Just opt in for the beta releases… :)

21. Takeshi

Well, I am interested in getting a legal copy of ME3 since playing it again could be fun, and I also remember the multi-player being kind of fun. However, still too pricey for me, especially with Steam sales around the corner…

22. splashofartstudios

Ea whatever happened to ” Games on sale, devalue them.” Bunch of hypocrites….