Wii U playtest: Miyamoto’s gun is shooting blanks

Wednesday, 13th June 2012 07:58 GMT By Alex Donaldson

Now Nintendo has made Wii U’s final pre-launch pitch to the west, Alex Donaldson took the hardware to E3′s firing range last week. The conclusion? Iwata better start investing in some hollow points.

We’re a matter of months until launch. Wii U is a powerful weapon, a gun who’s firepower could change the industry’s course as much as the Wii and DS did, but it has no ammunition. The software isn’t there. It’s shooting blanks.

After two hours with every game in Wii U’s playable first- and third-party line-up at E3, I can say this: the console is a gun to the head of the industry.

The tablet is genius, comfortable, light and naturalistic, the interaction between it and the TV screen feeling unforced. The options it opens for multiplayer are plentiful, original and fun – but there’s a problem.

The gun isn’t loaded.

While Wii U is incredible hardware that feels as strange and brave as that weird little stick on the N64 controller, at the moment it’s being let down by lacklustre software, mini-game collections and current-generation ports. Where the N64’s stick had Mario 64 to sell it, the Wii U screen currently has nothing I’d call a killer app.

It only felt natural to begin my tour of Nintendo’s E3 showing with Nintendo Land, the press-conference-closing title which tries to simultaneously leverage Nintendo’s best-loved franchises and the atmosphere of Wii Sports or Wii Play.

It’s more like the latter than the former, though, and many of these demos are built up from the simple ‘experiences’ I played at E3 this time last year.

The hardcore faithful will be looking to Pikmin 3 for salvation through gameplay revolutions, but that too left me cold. Presented with two control schemes, one has you merely using the remote and nunchuk as in the Wii ports of the original GameCube titles. The gamepad, meanwhile, is relegated to a mere map.

If you choose to play with a gamepad-only scheme it plays more like the GC original. The controller’s gyroscope is used for aiming the various types of Pikmin – feeling less accurate than the remote option. It’s a disappointing use of the clever hardware.

The game itself feels a safe bet, mind. It’s evolution over revolution, adding new rock Pikmin and promising twists on puzzles loved in the originals. If you wanted more Pikmin this is great news; it’s just a shame the game isn’t as brave as the machine it leads the charge on.

Pikmin 3 seems solid, but doesn’t showcase
the Wii U’s unique capabilities.

Takamaru’s Ninja Castle echoes the Ninja Star throwing mini-game from last year’s introductory trailer, for instance. It’s essentially a shooting gallery that sees you holding the Wii U Game Pad side-on and swiping your hand across the screen to send stars flying into the TV. It works well, but one wonders how much scope there is in this, especially given how much more tiring it is to rapid-fire by swiping a screen.

I’ll take a light gun with a trigger any day, and a comment made by a colleague as I played – “You’re going to need a screen protector for that thing” – made a little too much sense.

Luigi’s Haunted Mansion, meanwhile, has shades of Chase Mii from last year, one player having an advantage over the others via additional information shown on the Game Pad screen. It’s essentially Pac-Man with one invisible ghost and four vulnerable players. This was shown at the end of Nintendo’s press conference.

It’s a fun multiplayer mode, but with only one variant of the map on show and Nintendo not talking the finer details, who can say how many times anyone will play it? Donkey Kong Crash Course, a tilt-based puzzle-platformer is similar, a fun and challenging experience with very narrow scope.

That story continues across all of the Nintendo Land mini-games on show. They do their job, working well as excellent five-minute demonstrations of exactly why the Wii U Game Pad is a compelling piece of kit that could revolutionize gaming, but none of them are what I’d call actual games. It’s a problem.

A title that appears spun-off from the WarioWare series offered one of the most fun demos at the show – and only required one controller for a five-player game. One player holds the Game Pad and commands a thief in a busy intersection full of NPCs. Everyone else looks at the TV – and tries to spot which character out of the many on screen is stealing apples.

For the thief it’s about remaining inconspicuous and blending in with the AI, grabbing apples at non-obvious moments. The rest must watch like hawks. When all the apples are stolen, the Game Pad is passed around to allow the other players to pick who they think the thief is. I got it right first time, making me a veritable Sherlock Holmes, but the demo itself was great fun and a perfect example of one-pad multiplayer.

Lego City: Undercover. Looks pretty good,
but does it really need a tablet?

Ifs and buts

Others left me disappointed, though. New Super Mario Bros U is a prettier version of a formula of which you’re already way too familiar. The awesome-looking LEGO City title looks like GTA for kids – a great idea – but most of the time only uses the tablet screen for basic map functionality.

For core players there’s Batman, mostly running well but with occasional optimization issues that will hopefully be fixed for launch. Ubisoft’s ZombiU looks to be one of the best titles at the show for Wii U, a shooter that plays well on the Game Pad and makes unique use of some of its features.

But every time I look at it I’m reminded of amazing Red Steel demos for Wii – and thus remain cautious.

Scribblenauts looks gorgeous in high definition, but I can’t help wondering if anyone will pay full price for this seemingly definitive version of the game when they can get a very decent iOS version for a couple of quid.

In general the games look great – but by current generation standards. Nintendo’s colourful, bold art styles really pop in HD, but what happens in 12 months time when the true next generation arrives. Ifs and buts are the theme of the Wii U.

Most of the positive aspects of Wii U from the hardware itself. The Game Pad and machine look great in both black and white – though Nintendo wouldn’t confirm if both would be available at launch – and the Game Pad feels lighter, more comfortable and perhaps a little smaller than it did last year. It’s clearly been improved.

I can’t emphasize enough how little you all need to panic about the Game Pad. I know at first sight it looks massive and unwieldy, but it isn’t. It’s light and comfortable to hold, and I could very happily use it to play through something more intense like a 40-hour RPG. Put those particular fears to rest.

The screenless ‘pro’ pad seems to indicate to me that Nintendo’s R&D department picked up a couple of Xbox 360 controllers – not a bad thing. It feels very similar, with button layout tweaks, and eased my worry that I would have to play the new Smash Bros with the Game Pad – as that’s a game I can’t see benefitting from it.

Predictably, Nintendo Land best demonstrates
the Game Pad’s strengths.

The smaller Nintendo-crafted demos from Nintendo Land make a compelling argument for how the Game Pad augments and improves existing game experiences, but Nintendo Land itself is not a solid product. Right now it feels an awful lot like a pack-in. I’m sold on the Game Pad based on the E3 offering, but the software simply isn’t there.

I come out of E3 excited for Wii U but certain that Nintendo needs to step up and find system-selling software – and ideally before launch.

1. Ignatius_Cheese

Agreed. Great hardware backed up by less than compelling software.

Typical Nintendo launch of late…

2. G1GAHURTZ

This could get messy.

3. back_up

nintendo fooling people again lol
    wiiu – u=underpowered
    Wiiu graphics are of PS1 level

4. Ignatius_Cheese

@#3 PS1 level? You’re giving it too much credit! Atari 2600 more like

5. back_up

atari ? WTH is atari
    watever i will make u happy
    Wiiu graphics are of atari 2600 level :P

6. Ignatius_Cheese

Seriously, go back to school and learn about the origins of modern gaming. You’ll be surprised to find that gaming didn’t start with the PS1.

7. back_up

@6 are u blind ?
    when did i say gaming started with PS1

8. Erthazus

Great hardware?

Since when it is great?

9. Ignatius_Cheese

@8 Clearly you didn’t read that part of the preview which focused on praising the hardware but lambasting the lack of compelling software.

Virtually all reports out of E3 by most websites have been full of positive comments on the actual hardware, massive graphical leap notwithstanding.

From the looks of Star Wars: 1313, the leap to PS4/Next Xbox isn’t going to be the siesmic jump that it was from the previous generation to this generation. That said, I’m very much looking forward to seeing what MS and Sony come up with next year as this year’s showing was severely lacking a lot of the creativity that normally surrounds the tailend of a hardware generation.

10. Erthazus

“massive graphical leap notwithstanding.”

What? Since when? Give me the link when journalists say that it is a next leap in graphics from this E3. OK?

What is so great about that hardware and tablet that can’t even do multitouch? It’s 2012. There is no multitouch. Screen quality image is not even close to what iPad or Android devices offer so where it is impressive?

What is impressive in that hardware? Can you tell me what does it do that no console of this gen do. (I’m asking just for the console hardware, not a tablet or anything else). That thing does not even have BLU-RAY Disc.

“From the looks of Star Wars: 1313,”

From the look of it you have no clue what is graphical big leap. Star Wars 1313 is not even a next generation game in it’s full potential.
    Have you seen Unreal Egnine 4 or SE engine demo? That’s not even it’s full potential.

11. G1GAHURTZ

@9:

We haven’t seen any next gen visuals yet.

The most you could probably say is UE4, and that’s a huge step up from current gen stuff.

12. Ignatius_Cheese

@10 I think you’ve misunderstood me. There is no massive graphical leap in the Wii U. Everyone knows that.

It’s true that we haven’t seen the “full potential” of any next-gen hardware from MS and Sony, nor are we likely to until this time next year but suggestions from most sources are that any leap is less likely to be as big as the SD to HD leap.

Of course I can’t say that the Wii U hardware is good or bad. I haven’t used it yet but how many reports can you point me to that suggest it isn’t good? It’s the software that is currently letting it down.

13. DrDamn

How do you measure a graphical leap?

14. Deacon

Ok so they have approx 6 months until launch.. I definitely think they would benefit from another 6 months on top of that, but they want (need) to get this out asap before the other big two.

It would be great if all 3 launched at the same time. Pat & the gang would be jacked up on speed for like a month.

15. manamana

Shouldn’t the headline be: Iwata’s gun is shooting blanks? Just sayin….

16. Ignatius_Cheese

@13 A tape measure…?

17. Joe Musashi

@13 Take a bullshot, divide it by the voxels in the X axis, add the anisotropic average of the root of the pixels in the Y axis, apply a ‘to spec’ render allowance of 0.35 and there you go.

Simples.

JM

18. OlderGamer

@manamana Nagh it should read: “Alex is impressed by the hardware, but doesn’t like Nintendo games.”

Perhaps if he had been able to demo the new CoD Blops II or Ass Cred he would have felt differently.

“New Super Mario Bros U is a prettier version of a formula of which you’re already way too familiar”

What do you think your going to see on other platforms? Updated franchises with glossier graphics. Same horse with a new coat of paint.

Esp, on other platforms. You don’t think Halo, Gears, Uncharted, LBP, Resistance, CoD, BF, Ass Cred, RE, Forza, NFS, or anything else is going to actualy play any differently then what you already have do you? If so your being niave. My guess is that it won’t bother a CoD fan if the first CoD on MS/Sonys new systems plays exactly like the current ones. Just like TNSMBWiiU playing like the current one won’t bother its fans.

Lest with WiiU you have a tablet touch screen, what will a new Xbox bring gameplay wise? Kinect 2?

When I talked about bias against Nintendo in the game media, this is what I was talking about. Basicly Alex your preaching to the faithful, most of these guys already hate Nintendo.

19. The_Red

At first I read the title as “Miyamoto shooting blanks” and I was like…

Then I read the article and while I agree with the concerns about lack of software, I don’t think it’s the Nintendo that should be worried. Wii launched with pretty much the same lack of software and masses ate it up because of that simple “Wii Sports” which to this days I can’t understand its appeal.
    Compared to that, NintendoLand feels like an actually interesting mini-game collection. Maybe it’s not as obvious as Wii Sports but knowing Nintendo, they’re gonna sell a ton of consoles at launch and then sell even more when heavy hitters like 3D Mario or Zelda arrive. In short, they will have their sales and only people hurt will be core gamers that adopt the system early. Casuals will be happy with their “Wii Fit U”s and NintendoLands.

20. stealth

This article is completely ridiculous

the wii u HAS THE BEST LAUNCH LINEUP IN HISTORY

The software isnt there?

For launch window I want

mario
    pikmin
    game and wario
    p 100
    rayman legends
    scribblenauts
    AC III
    sonic racing

and more……..

for a launch thats loaded

Mario U is a 30 million seller
    wii fit U is a 30 million seller
    just dance is a 30 million seller

those will be at launch like the other games I mentioned

If anything its set to sell out at 299 with nintendoland packaged in

Excuse me but what game exactly sold the ps3? or 3ds? or any system at LAUNCH???????

The 3ds is number 1 in the world now, and its launch library was abysmal

This is the best launch lineup of games ever

And most of them ARE NOT PORTS

21. DrDamn

I thought it was pretty balanced. It raises a number of points which lots of people have been picking up on. It also praises a number of aspects of the system and software.

22. Ignatius_Cheese

I agree. Nothing wrong with the article at all.

As for the Wii U having the best launch lineup ever? Do me a favour…

23. ManuOtaku

#10 Regarding the topic about the not giant leap between the ps3/ps4 adn 60/720,graphics wise, you can clearly see the concerns on epic over this when they stated in the past, it was not enough, or something on those lines, therefore i think if epic is saying something like this, you can argue that the leap are not what they were hoping, although this could change in the meantime, but if epic is aiming for a current PC like console counterpart, then one has to wonder then what it will be its price tag, and if sony and microsoft will decide to have a so powefull machine with a higher price tag.

Regarding the topic at hand, i think this has some positive news, the hardware and the controller are good, and i think that is what matters the most, now having said that i think the WiiU fate will rest on how well is percieve the nintendo land game, instead of the core ones, much like wii sports, if this mini collections of games have the same impact as wii sports, or something on those lines, then it will sell a lot, of course the core nintendo franchises like pikmin will help, speaking of pikmin, thats what i waiting a evolution rather than a revolution, although i hope they will use the new controller in other ways rather than just for map.

By the way i didnt see anything about p-100, and zombi U, two tittles iam very interested, hope you could also put your inputs on this ones.

24. stealth

There has been no better launch lineup. At least for nintendo I cant find one

Its funny they say mario 64 is a killer app, it sold respectively but not over 20 million……..

Mario U has 30 million sales potential. THATS a killer app

25. dreamcastnews

@7, I suggest you maybe book in to get your eyes tested? Calculators can do better graphics than a PSOne. Wii U is a high definition console?

26. G1GAHURTZ

Bear in mind that NSMBW sold >25m to an install base of ~100m over a period of more than 2 years.

There’s a long way to go before even thinking of the Wii U hitting those numbers.

I don’t see it myself.

The Wii was new and fresh. Casuals saw it as a step towards virtual reality.

I’m not sure how they’re going to react when they see that they touch pad and screen isn’t even as good as the one on their old phone.

And as for this Nintendo Land thing…

The fact that it seems to take official people such a long time to explain why it’s ‘fun’ should be setting off alarm bells.

27. DrDamn

RE: Nintendo Land – agree. For me I’d love to play it. Nice asymmetric gaming. It would be great with a few friends sat on a couch. I see it as a lot more gamer oriented than something like Wii Sports though. There just isn’t the same connection to the wider audience.

28. StolenGlory

“Everyone else is welcome to wait and pay an extra £150-£200 for MS or Sony’s next box… I’ll buy this, thanks.”

Using ShopTo.Net’s price as some sort of reference (by god I hope it isn’t an accurate price point), you are reckoning that by proxy, the next lump of piss and plastic from MS/Sony will be £429.99 – £479.99?

That seems more than a tad sensationalist to me; though i’ll grant you that Sony hasn’t exactly set a healthy precedent with their PS3 launch price :)

29. ManuOtaku

#28 i believe thats a pretty reasonable asumption, i mean that the new consoles will cost between 350-450$, of course if epic doesnt get away with their priorites, wanting powerfull consoles almost like current PC tech, if thats the case well it will be a lot higher than that IMHO.

30. StolenGlory

Don’t mix up your currencies there – $350 is £225 and $450 is £289.

Both of which are hugely more reasonable than £429 – $667 and £479 – $744 respectively.

Personally, I think it’s tantamount to commercial suicide if either manufacturer prices their console anywhere remotely north of the £329.99 mark.

31. jdfoster00

Great hardware? It’s BARELY more powerful than the PS3 and XBOX360… 6 YEAR OLD MACHINES…

32. ManuOtaku

#30 oh sorry i didnt focus on the currency, ooppps, well but either way i think you got my point, the more puch on power means pricier.

33. ManuOtaku

#31 at least it will have newer chips graphics and gpu speaking, therefore is not like a 6 year old machine, it will have 1080p and 60 fps, thats something the next gen consoles for microsoft and sony will do too and better, therefore in reality is not old.

34. Erthazus

“it will have 1080p and 60 fps”

How do you know that?
    some of the current gen videocards can’t even do that for all games.

35. DrDamn

Well the PS3 and 360 can both do it too. It’s a meaningless point without context though. How well can it do 1080p and 60fps? How does the use of one and two gamepads affect this.

36. ManuOtaku

#34 i dont really get you man, on some posts you said that pc are light years ahead of consoles, and others like the previous one you are stating otherwise, man made up your mind, iam not tech savy, but seeing your posts you indicated the resolution is 3000*3000 in your pc, etc,etc, it is light years ahead, poor console players,etc,etc.***insert scratching head noise*

37. Erthazus

@DrDamn,
    “Well the PS3 and 360 can both do it too.”

@36, does not mean that current gen technology in Wii U can produce 60 frames per second and 1080p for each game.

when i say about great resolutions, cool graphics and great frames per second i’m talking about the latest videocards like GTX 680 and etc. that are very powerful and even rumored next gen systems won’t have that.

and if you really believe in Nintendo that has a horrible R&D for the tech stuff can produce true 1080p and 60 FPS? Oh come on.

38. ManuOtaku

#37 iam based on the attachment, it indicates it supports 1080p, something than the ps3 and 360 mostly dont do, as for the 60fps, is based on rumors which indicated the probable videoacard the wii u will have inside, i am trying to find the link as i write this, but like i said it is not old tech, if can do these things.

p.s “and if you really believe in Nintendo that has a horrible R&D for the tech stuff can produce true 1080p and 60 FPS? Oh come on”.

Correct me if iam wrong but a 2 year old graphic card, i dont know which because like i said iam not tech savy in this things, cant do 1080 p at 60 fps?, according to you, or in reality they can?, iam asking, and i know nintendo will go with the best right now, but something about a few years back yes, now i dont know if thats possible with those said cards, like i said, man and if thats not the case that some cards right now cant handle that, then why is all the fuss with the PC oviblirates consoles in the graphics department, i remember a post where you indicated a resolution of 2600*1900 or something like that, therefore i really dont understand you

39. DrDamn

“95% of games running on the PS3 and 360 are in 720p barely using 25-30 frames per second. Some of them are not even in true 720p.”

I was actually agreeing with you to an extent. Saying a GPU supports 1080p and refresh rates of 60fps is meaningless without some idea of what it is doing when it does it. For example the PS3 and 360 can both do it with within some boundaries. So whilst I have no doubt the Wii-U can also do it we have no idea at this stage what restrictions that places of the game. Does it still have enough video memory to produce and stream output to the gamepad? Does streaming to the gamepad even use video memory? From what has been said – probably – but we don’t have solid info.

40. ManuOtaku

#39 “Does it still have enough video memory to produce and stream output to the gamepad? Does streaming to the gamepad even use video memory? From what has been said – probably – but we don’t have solid info”

That is a fair question, and one that should be pounder, because like you said the streaming to the gamepad, can low the resolution on the screen an the 60fps too, that is another thing entirely, and i dont know, becuase iam not tech savy, like i said, but something we need further official confirmation .

41. G1GAHURTZ

Games like SFIV and all it’s versions run @ 1080/60 on PS360 afaik, but not much else does.

I can’t imagine Nintendo caring enough to make a machine which would hit such a ‘hardcore’ type standard.

42. jdfoster00

Pikmin 3 was running at 30fps haha :P

43. OlderGamer

“60fps isn’t really a selling point, when most people don’t even know what it means.”

Or can’t see the difference anyways.

44. Clupula

We get it, OlderGamer, you’re up attached at the ass to Nintendo, but Jesus, don’t act like the rest of us who see through their smoke and mirrors are delusional. The Wii U is a disaster, at the moment. I can’t speak on the hardware, because I haven’t played it, but that launch lineup is awful. Port after port and games that only Nintendo fanboys have any interest in.

I see ONE exclusive title I have any interest in and that’s only because Platinum are making it. Otherwise, the hardcore are not going to touch this system. Unless Nintendo start going on The View or whatever and start pushing Wii Fit U to the soccer moms, they are looking at a bomb here.

45. Dragon246

I dont think Wii U offers ANY significant advantage over existing HD consoles (none to be precise), so I dont see any reason why “core” gamers playing on these platforms would make a switch to Wii U and not wait for true next gen consoles in 1-2 years time.
    Also why would “casual” gamers like moms and grannies buy another console? Wii was enough for them and lets face it, casual console gaming was one time jackpot which was emptied by wii.
    So really, who should buy this?

46. ManuOtaku

#44 “The Wii U is a disaster, at the moment. I can’t speak on the hardware, because I haven’t played it, but that launch lineup is awful. Port after port and games that only Nintendo fanboys have any interest in”.

8 games from the launch line up are not ports, are exclusives to the WiiU, thats pretty good if you ask me, and for that is not a disaster, we can debate if will have a major impact or dont, but is not a disaster, especially when you have a game like nintendo land that for the hands on of multiple people, could be a system seller in the same vein as wii sports.

Also youre logic has some fault iam an avid gamer, and i will play the heck out of it, at least 9 games from the launch line up interest me big time, dont say things like that a hardcore gamer will not touch it, because you are doing the same thing you are criticizing OG for.

#46 the funny thing is The wiiU will be competing agaisnt the “true next gen consoles, much as the dreamcast was did compete with the ps2 ,and the ps2 did compete with the gamecube and xbox.

“Also why would “casual” gamers like moms and grannies buy another console? Wii was enough for them and lets face it, casual console gaming was one time jackpot which was emptied by wii”
    Look a t the 3DS and you have your respond.

47. OlderGamer

“and games that only Nintendo fanboys have any interest in.

I see ONE exclusive title I have any interest in ”

I get that. But that speaks of your game tastes. Not everyones. Your gaming palate falls into a certian demographic. And that is ok. And a site like this is loaded with other people that also would fall into that same demographic, including much of the staff.

Look everyone speaking out(and it is fine to do so) is basicly saying the samething, “I don’t like it, it doesn’t have games I enjoy, therefore it is utter shit and will completly fail.” I mean that is it in a nut shell.

I don’t hate Nintendo. And as far as seeing past smoke screens, I do. It is what it is. Because of that, and the fact that I enjoy playing Nintendo games, I often find myself trying to defend the company. That paints me as some…what, really? A fan? A gamer? Or casual? Is that really a bad word anyway?

I play PC far more then I play anything else. Anything. I play PS3. I play xb360. And yes I play Wii. I also fired up TG16 and Sega Saturn the other day, not too sure what that makes me.

I am not some company fanboy. Really. Infact being able to enjoy a larger range of games prolly makes me less of one then a some of the people reading this. It amazes me how insecure some people can be over their choice of video games.

These things, video games, are just that games. Why spend so much time and energy proclaiming that something you don’t even like is worthless? Who are you trying to convince and why is it important for you to convince them? That is a general comment, not aimed at just Clupula or any one person.

48. Dragon246

@47,
    “And you folks hate the WiiU. Here is my counter point. You guys have hated the Wii as well, yet its sales numbers over the scope of this generation, have been steller, industry leading even. And that is where the anger comes in. Well, yours. I am not angry.”
    Do you really think wiiu can hit the same emptied jackpot again and will the demographic that bought wii (not many people here fall in that, so I think it was reasonable not to like it) buy a brand new console again?

49. ManuOtaku

#48 again look at the 3DS, it is in the same position as WiiU, according to your logic, and look how is doing man, the same thing applys to the WiiU, really, it will do fine, the key thing is price point, software, and i think they have both covered, now this is by no ways meaning it will surpass wii, it can happen but i do think it will be hard.

50. OlderGamer

I don’t know if WiiU can match the Wiis sucess. I kind of doubt it, the type of run away sucess that the Wii had was unheard of(it is possible the new systems from MS/Sony won’t sell that well either). But it isn’t new to Nintendo. The Gameboys are almost always run away hits (almost, still have red visions of Vitural Boy).

Nintendo is very good at what it does. I think if priced right the WiiU stands a great chance of selling very well. I don’t think Nintendo hit the jackpot with wii. In that I don’t believe that the sales of the system or its games were akin to some lucky strike of gold. It wasn’t a fluke.

I think the system had merit. New game concepts, solid first party games, creative new way to play old franchise fan favs, and a good price point. That was a solid strategy if you ask me. Will it happen again with WiiU?

Hard to say.

51. Dragon246

@49,
    3ds is a handheld , I dont think it can be used in comparison between wii and wiiu.
    @50,
    Everyone knows that wii did great because of its casual gamer appeal, what I really doubt is whether those people will buy another console again. They are unlike people here who wait for next-gen consoles and games to arrive , they are satisfied with their wiis. So wii was certainly a one-time jackpot in that regard.

52. stealth

Anybody dooming a system before launch=ignore

Anybody saying it will be number 1 = ignore

Based on the best launch lineup nintendos ever had all we can say with any certainty is it will do well at launch

53. poketrainer

Nintendo does need some system selling software for launch because next gen consoles are just around the corner. The PS4 will be more powerful than the Wii U, no doubt.

Whether that power matters or not remains to be seen but it would be best for Nintendo to come up with some innovative use for the second screen.

I mean, it has great potential. I think a lot of the stuff looks innovative to me, and I’m getting it day one regardless but they need a fool-proof Wii Sports for dummies type game for the masses.

54. livewired500

Welcome to the HD generation Nintendo. 6 years late and relying on silly gimmicks, but at least you made it. Congrats.

55. ManuOtaku

#51 yes we can, based on:

1.-The main targets are the same
    2.-Both uses motion control and new ways of interaction for playing games.
    3.-Both made the transition adding new things under the same philosophy and/or mentality, but keeping the core the same, adding an upgrade on graphics, you can see they have so much in common, because in the case that the DS would be a failure, for instance, the wii will also be a failure, but Ds was a success and the wii follow suit therefore, even if they are in a different market, they do hold the same philosphy and shared the same fate for that.

Therefore, to me they share a lot of things, even if they are handheld and console, they had many things in common that represent the main focus of the company, and the similarities of the consumers likings.
    #52 and53 i agree 100%
    #54 i think is not a point of nintendo arriving to the HD era, instead is the HD arriving to the time were it dominates the market, just because two manufacturers wanted to bring the HD era sooner than it need to, from the adoption rate of HD tech on consumers, doesnt mean nintendo should do the same, now is when in reality an HD console is really arriving in the perfect time, of course this is a debatable opinion, but it is an strong posibility of the early success of the wii, and that now the adoption rate of the 360 and ps3 is increasing at the same tiem of HD tech is increasing also on households, almost to the point of being 70% plus.