Liveblog: debate on Tomb Raider’s “rape” elements

Wednesday, 13th June 2012 20:02 GMT By Patrick Garratt

New Statesman’s Helen Lewis and Guardian columnists Mary Hamilton and Sarah Ditum joined us this afternoon to live-chat on the subject of Tomb Raider’s attempted rape scenario. Read the entire thing here.

Following the release of an E3 interview confirming Tomb Raider will feature a “rape” attempt – in which Lara “is literally turned into a cornered animal” – we debated the subject here today.

Crystal Dynamic has now issued a clarifying statement, saying comments made by Ron Rosenberg in Kotaku’s E3 interview were “misunderstood”. GamesIndustry is reporting that CD has said Rosenberg “misspoke” on the matter.

Joining us were New Statesman deputy editor Helen Lewis, who yesterday published an article titled, “Hey, let’s ‘evolve’ Lara Croft by having people try to rape her!”

The Guardian’s Mary Hamilton was also here, having this week written to ask whether or not Lara really has to survive a sexual assault as part of her back-story.

In addition, Sarah Ditum was here. Sarah writes for the Guardian, New Statesman and other titles on games, women’s issues and more.

1. Talkar

Oh yeah a writer from The Guardian is a great idea… Or something -.-’
    Ontopic though, why even discuss it when you don’t know all the facts? Like what is leading up to it? Who has taken her captive? Why is she taken captive? What kind of person is it that is trying to rape her? How does it fit in with the story of that particular mission? Seriously, don’t get offended by what a game does, the the whole sexism thing that was being written about a while back. If you do get so easily offended, you might as well pick up a book. Oh wait, there is rape, genocide, molestation and murder in those, ah well, best idea is to isolate yourself from the world then i reckon ;)

2. TMRNetShark

Quick time event out of rape!

In all serious… no rape in games please. Video games have a bad enough rep for having murder and hookers in them.

3. Mineral4r7s

Rape as part of the story? Thats “nice”. I wouldn’t want rape as a feature for any game that you have to rape people but getting rape attempted gives a bit of realism to it considering the circumstances.

And we all know what the rape attempt on Lara will end like.

Even without playing the game.

4. YoungZer0

Context and presentation here is important. Just look at the way ‘Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’ (Both Finchers and the swedish version) did it. The scene was highly disturbing, showed her completely helpless and vulnerable. Yet we don’t see her as a victim, she was a victim of the crime, yes, but she is not A victim.

For me it actually shows strength. The fact that she could endure something so disgusting and horrible and yet not only live on, but seek revenge (not impulsive, but thought-out). She would punish the person who did that to her and after that, go on.

It was a traumatizing event, but it would not change her.

It showed that she wouldn’t go down, that she could endure.

So if the developer thinks they want Lara to endure this, if they think that this is what it takes for her to be a Croft, they should do it. But they have to be really, really tricky about it.

5. Dragon246

WTF is this. Out of the entire trailer of TR , they manage to pick out a 5-second part where frankly NOTHING happened (it was more like attempted molestation and nothing I mean not something out of the world) that these people are barking about. Its not that she was raped, these useless “mainstream morons” assumed so based on their thoughts. These kind of crimes are mainstream things in other entertainment mediums, so why the is there so much ruckus when something this small is shown in games. Also I think the game rating agencies like PEGI are more than capable of rating games, so these people from guardian can just stop whining and stop defaming games (good games I must say)

6. KAP

If the game case as an 18 on the front then who the fuck cares?
    Its like 60years ago film critics having this exact same discusion about film. I mean, games are in its infantcy in terms of story and the way its told but talking about such things is just stupid to me… Specially when you here worse on the 6 o clock news EVERY DAY!

7. gtvdave

“Hey, let’s ‘evolve’ Lara Croft by having people try to rape her!”

What? It is quite obvious that you as the player are protecting her from being raped. The person who is trying to rape her is portrayed as a villain. I can’t believe that video games are still seen as a medium in which you can’t have any mature themes. Grow up, people! And she will kick his ass for sure.

8. Dragon246

@8,
    “Specially when you here worse on the 6 o clock news EVERY DAY!”
    That is precisely the reason I stopped watching news a long time ago. I never have good things to show.Just rape this and murder that and the show is over.

9. fightclubdoll

Let’s get one thing straight from the start. The victim or would-be victim of a rape is not the animal in the equation. I have plenty of respect for real animals, but I think we ought to avoid the comparison in this context altogether. But if we are portraying anyone as being somehow less-than-human, let’s reserve that for the attackers and predators who actually see sexual violence as sexually gratifying. They are neither like humans nor like animals, but they are more accurately true monsters.

10. Ireland Michael

Jesus Christ. The complete inability of this community to have any sort of mature discussion about an adult topic without responding with vitriol and anger is fucking appalling.

I have tonnes of thoughts on this subject, but I’m not going to waste my breath. It’s just going to end up being blasted apart without any serious discussion anyway.

11. endgame

Wow! Some of you people.. are so weak and out of touch, scared of even what happens in videogames. You are so lucky you live in this age. You would be dead otherwise.

12. Dragon246

Also I dont think something like this (rape) would happen in TR , it would be disastrous for the series as it might lose many of its fans. Its just suggested in that part of the trailer and films go WAAAAAAAAAAY beyond this. Everyone knows that and they dont give a shit to that but if its a game, then OMG this is bad. This discrimination towards games must stop.

13. YoungZer0

@11: Don’t leave me! \o

14. DSB

I just enjoy the fact that no one would raise an eyebrow if this was Natalie Portman in some big pretentious Hollywood production.

This is more a case of “videogames shouldn’t do this” based on a general bias, more than it’s ever going to be about rape imagery. It’s just another witch hunt.

I don’t want rape attempts in my games. But people do get raped on a daily basis, so I don’t see how you’re doing storytelling any favors by trying to censor it, if it ever pops up as part of a narrative. And you wouldn’t in any other medium, from books to cinema.

Has anyone watched Game of Thrones lately? Where’s the outrage?

HBO and George RR Martin can slit babies throats, but Crystal Dynamics can’t subject a woman to an attempted sexual violation? Fuck right off.

15. Moonwalker1982

Rape attempt…..right…the part where Lara kicks that dude? Barely a rape attempt, people are exeggerating like hell.

16. StolenGlory

Christ on a bike.

Judging by the reaction of some, you would think that this was a licensed videogame based on I Spit On Your Grave or something.

Honestly.

17. Night Hunter

Even just having a discussion about this shows how limited creators and audience are. Rape scene in The Sopranos? No problem, rape scene in Sons of Anarchy following a long arching storyline? No problem!

Rape in Tomb Raider? No fucking way!

Why? The only problem I would have with it is if it was executed badly, which it probably would be considering what passes for writing in a video game nowadays.

Just my 2 cents.

18. KAP

Totally agree. Lets pretend this shit does not happen and let me sit in my room playing a game where I murder 1000+ baddies because I comfortable with that. Rape…. No, no i’m not comfortable with that reality yet.

Thats what most of these commenters in here are basically sounding like.

I like to think that “games” can say more then just COD etc. How much points or headshots you get is becoming….. I cant even find a word to describe it. Someone help me out.,….

19. endgame

Also http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0290673/..

20. YoungZer0

@18: “nowadays?”

21. viralshag

If it is treated correctly and with respect I don’t see the problem with it. Especially if, like #5 says, it adds to the story and character development. It’s a mature situation to deal with in the sense that it is something quite horrific but we have seen it in lots of other media and I don’t see why we can’t give developers the credit to actually create something serious like this.

Some reactions make me really think that it’s not the devs that hold games back from becoming more mature but the gamers themselves. If you can’t deal with real life situations happening in games then do not ever ask for more realism or maturity.

@18, +1 fella. Great examples used there, especially SoA as I’m a fan. And that storyline was exceptional in building the character and others around her.

22. KAP

Exactly. I think this and the saints trailer argument is blown waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out!

23. Night Hunter

@22: You’re right. Since the beginning of time. But well I think there really are some exceptions, I just can’t think of one right now.

@23: maturity for a lot of people means more blood, gore, intestines, headshots and so on.

24. Sini

Blowing npc brains out with shotgun has become stale since it has been done first back in 1993. Time to move it up a notch. It’s either this, or I’m going to be collecting yet another 7 pieces of a broken amulet and saving the game world I don’t give a fuck about. I mean, if a villain rapes me, I might just try to finish the game.
    I’m sure feminists will start shrieking, but as a male or as they call us, potential rapist, I am willing to give this a shot.

25. KAP

I fucking love you man.. couldnt of said it better.

26. Ireland Michael

There is far more to this than…

Why am I wasting my breath..?

There is far more to this than the fact that it’s an attempted rape / molestation scene. The problem is with how they’re inherently portraying Lara.

Yesterday’s news story discussing the developers’ portrayal of Lara had an uncomfortably sexist tone about it. There is nothing more condescending and degrading to the development of a female characters grown than the idea that it somehow has to stem from or be associated with male power trips. It’s lazy and ignorant.

Everything we’ve seen so far shows Lara being abused by men. She’s always the victim, always being afraid, and constantly in a state of pain or abuse. It’s lazy, and it’s a cop out. And when the developers talk about people only bonding with her through a desire to “protect her”, it’s just giving strength to more power fantasies.

We’re not seeing Lara through the eyes of a woman. We’re seeing Lara through the eyes of a man.

27. Da Man

You tell ‘em KAP.

Marry in a dating sim, serve in military in an fps and care for your kids in a point & click adventure.

28. YoungZer0

@28: Power Fantasy? Really? Wow, i think you’re way off on this one.

29. Night Hunter

@28: Well said, but we already had the alternative. The problem is before she was a sexual object, now she still is, just in a different sense (and really, what else are power fantasies). But isn’t exactly this the goal of C.D., to empower her as the game plays out? So the actual problem is that we haven’t seen anything yet from a later stage in the game (which makes sense marketing wise).

30. Dark

“Live debate: should Tomb Raider include rape elements?”
    Yes , and i want to see lara Take Her Clothes Off and have a good shower from all the dirt that cover her ( QTE shower ftw! )

it is just a video game , god damn it.

31. Debabrata Nath

I don’t see what’s wrong with including it in a videogame. Rape is something which happens all the time. It’s harsh but it’s the truth. Do you expect some thugs who find a girl in the jungle to tend to her wounds? No? Me neither. That’s what they’ll try to do; rape her.

Also, it’s not like rape is something the entertainment industry has totally ignored. Various movies feature rape scenes, without being vulgar or offensive in the slightest.

If anything, Crystal Dynamics must be lauded for daring to include such a scene. Whether they can pull it off or not will depend on how they inact it, but I’ve no issues with such a scene being in the game.

As long as they don’t use it in a way which is offensive and can make it a progressive part of the story, I’ll have no issues with it.

I also find it very funny that gamers, and the media has no issues with games which feature people being amputated, harmless bystanders being run over for no reason, and so much more “sensitive” things, but find it offensive that a developer has decided to include a subject which is both gritty and real. If anything, it goes to show that they are willing to portray a woman as someone who’s able to do a lot more than being an object for half-grown men to fantasize over.

I for one, don’t find it offensive that a developer has decided not to portray a female character with a bosom bigger than the size of your underwear who is meant to make you fantasize about being in bed with her; and has actually tried to give out a more real picture of a woman and how she’ll react in such tough situations.

I’m looking forward to playing the Tomb Raider reboot, and it’s not because it features a rape scene. It’s because the direction CD’s chosen has really caught my attention and I want to see how good a job they can do in doing justice to it.

Oh, the game’s releasing in March, 2013. BUT NO, let’s not wait until we play the game to see what exactly happens and if this “attempt to rape” is justified or not. Let’s all come to the conclusion that it’s grossly wrong to try and include a storyline in a videogame which is even remotely similar to a real life scenario be…cau..see itz a VIDEOGAMES!! It’s not MEANT TO BE REAL, it’s NOT SUPPOSED TO MAKE SENSE!

32. fightclubdoll

What I have to say is not PC, but neither is the topic we’re confronting.
    It would be unrealistic for Lara to NEVER experience any scenarios where her foes try to use sex as a weapon, but whether it’s suitably handled in the game remains to be seen. That said, not everything that happens in real life should be in games. Many members of the gaming community lack the maturity to deal with this subject matter appropriately, if the comments I’ve read in stories all day are any indication. Still, there have been plenty of others voicing genuine concern, who see the potential for something sincerely disturbing… I’m with the latter crowd. I don’t think sexual predators deserve to walk the planet among us, whether they target men, women, children, animals or all of the above. If we are putting a video game heroine in a situation against a would-be sexual assailant, how it’s presented matters tremendously. That it happens, is not the main issue. As a female, I don’t think it’s fair to say we can sexually exploit females in games all the time, but not show the ugly side of things. It’s absurd to constantly depict sexually exaggerated depictions of women, and make them always ridiculously eager and randomly consenting. If you’re going to make a more realistic Lara, and she’s going to go up against scary bad guys, at a point it strains credibility that NONE of them would attempt to molest her in some manner. None of this is critical of Lara. It’s all a question of whether we, as gamers, can handle real bad guys.
    I don’t want to see violence against women in the games I play, but if it is presented, handle it respectfully, appropriately and let me, as the player, respond to it with the gravity it deserves. I think we can do without games that depict anything graphic involving children, period. But in a video game, I think someone attempting to assault Lara should end up exactly the same as anyone who would attempt the same against Master Chief, or any others of the baddest male video game badasses you can imagine. What would Death do? How would Connor respond? If Lara gets to respond just as they would, if she comes out the victor, and evil gets punished in a way that satisfies the story and the righteously indignant player, then it’s subject matter that I think Lara is equipped to handle. At least bring the power of video gaming to bear, vigilantism is illegal in the real world, but in video games, villains can get immediate justice. The would-be victim generally has the most to lose, and therefore takes the threat most seriously.
    I don’t mind a game asking me to kill some foes who really deserve to die. Most game villains commit the crime of looking tough, that’s it. They’re on the wrong side, that is sufficient. I’m up to the challenge of dealing with foes really depicted as evil on the inside. But I’d still prefer this to remain “the year of the bow” not the year of the rapist …honestly, that goes for every year.
    A quality exception is okay here and there, but the majority of the gaming industry does not seem ready to handle this subject matter at all, not while so much exploitation is still glorified.
    I’m hopeful, however, that if anyone is best equipped to tackle such a scenario, that a strong female icon could really do the job well.

33. OrbitMonkey

Games are seen as for kids and no matter how you look at it, it will be some years yet before it’s really accepted as a genuine medium for the telling of mature stories…

So kudos to Crystal Dynamics for pushing the envelope on that one…

34. fightclubdoll

@26 & @27 Men and boys are victims of rape, too.

35. fightclubdoll

So, that’s that.

36. Hunam

Jesus Christ, a studio tries to (tastefully) cover a real world scenario and it turns into a fucking international incident.

I’m all for rights and equality, but sitting around naval gazing at every opportunity isn’t worth anyone’s time.

37. DSB

@28 That I can understand, but that’s more of a professional gripe.

Violence against women can and often is used as a cheap emotional device in fiction, by writers who need to rely on shock effect, rather than the basic ability to reach their audience through good writing.

But isn’t that pretty much all there is to say about it?

You can’t exclude bad writers from using violence against women, any more than you can stop them from becoming writers in the first place.

38. Lord Gremlin

Why not. I’m not against display of rape in games or movies as long as it has a strong narrative meaning and generally important for the plot.
    I do not want rape for the sake of having rape though.

39. xino

rape is not a crime, because if it is, gamers wouldn’t be using the word ‘rape’ 24/7 which is annoying. Especially on crappy Xbox Live!
    even the movies use rape as a joke.

this is completely messed up:/

man that attempted rape scene will be intense man!
    it will have QTE segment much like Heavy Rain.

prepare for controversy!

40. Ireland Michael

@39 Then this is just a case of lazy and bad writing.

Like you said, this is just cheap emotiopants rioting that really does nothing to add depth to her as a character. I’ve talked to quite a few women about this already, and all of them have agreed with the point so far, after seeing the context of it all.

@40 The problem is that media is completely chock full of countless examples of female characters whose *only* true character development has been through submission to or abuse from men. The comic book industry is especially bad at this. It’s not deep and its insulting to women, full stop.

41. DSB

@42 I don’t see why it has to be a women’s issue. It’s as much about how everyone percieves women, and writing, including men.

The only reason why damsel in distress works, is because women are still perceived as damsels.

I don’t personally have a problem with that, and I’m not sure a majority of women do either, but you can’t use the argument that “this makes some quantity of women uncomfortable, so it’s unacceptable”.

I just don’t see the cause for alarm. Of course now they’ve clarified it and used some different terminology, but even so, what’s wrong with a woman being called a cornered animal?

Why aren’t we offended when that terminology is used on military enemies, or just any sort of male? Even if some tend to focus on the word animal instead of the context, a cornered animal is in fact pretty damn dangerous.

It’s too semantic for my taste. Damsel in distress has been a theme of the medium ever since Donkey Kong or Mrs Pacman.

42. lexph3re

If portrayed correctly. I don’t see why it wouldn’t be ok to display. Although, it is almost unheard of to call rape tasteful. In a narrative there becomes a since of tasteful execution. No need to show more then what’s needed. Suggestive is almost always better then full on enactment.

Also, remember I say almost. If your trying to capture the intensity of the situation in an attempt to show a woman excelling from said circumstance? Then sometimes the more detail you can give to make the viewer feel as helpless as the victim is a good thing. It invokes a strong sense of determination in the viewer to want to see that person come out of it. And to also come out of it with them.

However, in this game suggestive is probably the best manner to go by to preserve whatever goal they are trying to achieve with this new Lara. Giving to much of her away can make the player look at her as a pointless object once again.

I say go for it if it gives me a Lara that not only becomes stronger in execution but in the players hands. It can become an strong bond between the player and the character.

43. LLLookAtYouHacker

I think the only “issue” here, is the reaction itself. I didn’t even imagine there would be a reaction, and in my perspective I question as to WHY such a reaction has occurred. I really do.

Utterly restricting its usage or promptly classifying it as surreptitious sexism, is to me an unassuming personification of insincerity and cowardice towards the crime (and victims of it.)

Cowardice partly being the cause of victim-blaming.

Rape is a catastrophic crime, with countless implications.

If the depiction is appropriate and realistic, then I believe It has its place, in pertinence to how those who subject it to jest can visualise a considerable representation of its realities.

44. Patrick Garratt

Well, the debate should be good tomorrow. If you have any question you want asked during the chat, post them in here and I may include them.

45. absolutezero

I want you to ask “Do you think Irreversible should not have contained a rape scene?”

DO IT. I DOUBLE DARE YOU.

46. Ireland Michael

I personally feel like many of the scenes we’ve seen so far have unomfortable undertones to similar to the scene that’s been criticised recently. Do you feel like this is something that will be isolated to this instance, or do you worry, like me, that there is a broader problem with the game in how it’s choosing to portray Lara?

47. OrbitMonkey

Two alleged ladies in the comments say, why not a rape scene? The rest? A bunch a whiney guys convinced this is some feminista plot against their genitalia.

(ok, so honourable exceptions to… Um… I’ve been drinking…. So um…. Ireland, DSB, youngzero?)

48. xino

question about raping Tomb Raider=

“should Tomb Raider’s ‘rape’ scene be considered offensive more than Man Hunt or Grand Theft Auto’s Hot Coffee?”

“why should this be considered rape if there isn’t an actual rape involve? as the player would eventually escape from the man?”

“don’t you think it would be obvious if a dangerous man stuck in an island, and sees an helpless woman attempt to commit crime against her?”

you can pick any of the rape question.

49. Hunam

I think it’s worth mentioning now, before we all get carried away:

There isn’t a rape scene in Tomb Raider. There was never a rape scene in Tomb Raider. There never will be a rape scene in Tomb Raider.

Ok, cool.

50. HauntaVirus

^ exactly!

51. OrbitMonkey

@51, No point closing the door after the horse has bolted mate ;-)

52. anik_lc

Seriously? People should try to do some research before writing articles like this.

First off: The rape scene makes perfect sense. Lara is stranded on an island which many people have stranded on before. The group of men which her attacker belongs to has been there for several years (maybe even decades). They already seem to be extremely violent (What with forcing everyone who gets to the island to join them/accept their leadership. They practically seem to treat every new arrival as cattle.) and the guy in question probably hasn’t seen a woman in several years. Combine all of these things and you’ve got a rapist.

Furthermore, they don’t show Lara as a “weak” character because it wouldn’t make sense for her to simply be strong without having been “weak”. I mean, she isn’t even weak. She’s normal. In previous games, Lara’s personality was flat. She was cool, “badass”, sarcastic,…and that’s about it. Now she is a normal person. She’s as strong or weak as you’d expect a normal 21-year-old to be. The reason why they’re doing an origin story, why Lara has to go through this transition from normal to “badass” is to create a connection between player and character and to give the character some depth and credibility. I mean, have you seen the kind of stuff she has done in some of the games? No normal person would do that. Of course, there has to be some sort of catalyst, some event that turned her into that adrenaline-junkie. And in the case of the rape scene, that is the catalyst for her to kill someone for the first time. In self-defence, of course, but it’s still the first step towards becoming the gun-toting adventurer we all know and love. I mean, that’s understandable, right? As a normal person, you wouldn’t just strand on this island and start shooting people.

Furthermore, the argument that male “heroes” are never presented as weak before they become the “heroes” we know is wrong. May I just remind you of Uncharted 3 and the flashback chapters in which a scared, teenage Nathan Drake gets chased by thugs and almost gets shot only to be rescued by his soon-to-be mentor Victor Sullivan? I mean, I’m not going to argue that men and women are still being perceived differently in our society and I, of course, also agree that that’s a bad thing. I just don’t think that it has got anything to do with this reboot of the Tomb Raider franchise. Even those male heroes would have needed some sort of catalyst to turn into who they are. If anything, those games have to be blamed for portraying their protagonists unrealistically. Why blame Tomb Raider for wanting to give Lara Croft a credible personality? People should just stop thinking that every time sex pops up in a video game it has to be anti-feminist. Of course, that has been true for a lot of games in the past but generalisation is never a good thing, so don’t use it just because it benefits your stereotyping, unqualified opinion.

And maybe it is used as a story gimmick but so what? Murder is being used as a story gimmick in pretty much every episode of every crime thriller TV show. I’ve never heard anyone complain. Rape happens. In an ideal world it wouldn’t but this is the real world and rape happens. Would you rather nobody talked about it and we just ignored it altogether? No? Then why are you against it being displayed in a mature and realistic way as part of a story? Oh right, because it’s a video game story. And we all know that video games are being developed and played exclusively by socially deprived, heterosexual, horny nerd-weirdos whose only reason to put a female into a game is because they find her hot, right? Stereotyping goes both ways. Remember that the next time you write a poorly-researched article that tries to condemn the very thing it does.

53. TheWulf

My opinion is that if it’s a part of the story, it can be a powerful tool in helping people to understand how much of a horror rape can be. If it’s just there for shock value then I’d say to do away with it.

The average person absolutely cannot wrap their mind around how it feels to be violated in that sort of way, and to increase empathy by making them understand is a good thing. I think that entertainment could serve a purpose to actually do that.

On some levels, I’m actually kind of liking what they’re doing with this, and making people understand what it means to take a life, graphically so, or what it means to be a participant in rape. Violence, sexual or not, is not a fun thing and I can tell you this from my own experiences. Neither is dealing with someone who has murderous urges.

So I think it can be a powerful tool for increasing empathy with victims of rape and violence, but it has to be done right.

54. Night Hunter

Just for information, you do understand that there will be no actual rape scene in this game? Molestation yes, and it will be implied of course, but it will never come close the actual act of rape, which actually makes this whole article kind of redundant.

I agree though, that the actual gravitas connected to the scene is not the molestation/attempted rape but Lara killing her first human being (which makes this article even more redundant). Although in self defense this could be some powerful stuff character wise if they can pull it off (which I doubt, but at least this way I’ll maybe be positively surprised when I play the game :) )

55. Jimaroid

So it seems people think there’s no issue because it’s not actually rape? Good grief!

The game might not have an actual rape scene in it but sexual violence is more than implied. What’s really outrageous is the fact that certain people thought it acceptable to use rape as a vehicle on which to try and hype and sell a product. That’s pretty disgusting. Rape is a crime, not a feature. There should have been some fairly loud alarm bells ringing in their heads when they starting spouting off in an interview about using rape as a character and player motivation, regardless of whether or not the game contained it. It’s a massive error of judgement.

Effectively what’s been implied is “rape makes you stronger” and that’s stratospherically wrong.

56. OrbitMonkey

^ well put.

57. ashdcuk

#57: “What’s really outrageous is the fact that certain people thought it acceptable to use rape as a vehicle on which to try and hype and sell a product.”

Yes, this is exactly right. People who say, “Hey why can films do this but not games”, it’s all about context. A film wouldn’t promote itself by putting this scene front and centre in the marketing and talking about how we, as a player, should react to it. Also it’s pretty messed up messaging to combine that with quotes like,
    “Her skin is still bare on the arms and there are going to be rips and tears on her clothes, but it won’t be about being revealing. It’s a way of saying that through these tough situations, there is a beauty and vulnerability coming through. I think that is sexy in its own way.”

Maybe you can cover difficult and potentially taboo subjects in a sensitive, insightful way within video games….but it looks like this is completely removed from anything close to that.

58. Patrick Garratt

The liveblog’s live now. We’ll be starting in 15 minutes.

59. TheBlackHole

For christ’s sake people.

We constantly talk about the validity of gaming as a medium, as an artform and as a method of complex storytelling, then the minute something comes along which is quite common in ALL other forms of media, we throw a shitfit!

No one is going to take games seriously if WE are constantly questioning its ability to handle grown up themes.

Sometimes I fucking hate this industry.

60. DGOJG

I have a question; why are you all reacting to reactions rather thasn waiting for the game to be released and see what elements are actually in the game context rather than small snippits taken out of complete context.

61. Gheritt White

Would the panellists agree with the position that if this were a scene in a movie, nobody would bat an eye-lid?

62. G1GAHURTZ

Games are not art.

They’re escapism into a world where you can do the things that you can’t do in real life.

You can’t compare them to paintings, theater or movies.

63. Ostercy

Now that Crystal Dynamics have confirmed that there is no attempted rape in the game, is there anything left to discuss with respect to the new characterisation of Lara Croft?

64. absolutezero

Then surely something as horrible as rape is even worse in those mediums because theres nothing you can do to stop it. You have to sit and watch, which is even more uncomfertable than being able to stop it yourself which the addition of interactivity would bring.

Games as entertainment can be viewed on the same level as cinema, literature and whatever else.

65. YoungZer0

@61: That is the dumbest thing i’ve ever heard.

66. djhsecondnature

Master Chief as an example is awful. He was ripped from his life and became an experiment. A character like Drake would be much more appropriate and given that we know he was an orphan, a scenario that could certainly have played out…

67. djhsecondnature

Also Mafia II is a clear example of a sexual act happening to a male protagonist. There’s an attempted prison rape scene.

68. Joel Snape

Helen, Pat, the only game I can think of that has a genuinely vulnerable male character is the dad in Heavy Rain – and even that has a played-for-sexiness bit where a female character is forced to get undressed (she kicks the guy’s ass afterwards, which I guess makes it okay in Quantic Dream’s eyes).

This whole thing feels like comics’ attempts to be more ‘mature’ in the late 90s – most writers seemed to equate that with female characters being sexually assaulted and male characters getting addicted to heroin, rather than genuinely trying to portray a greater range of emotion. And to the people saying ‘Oh, you don’t just become a hero without a catalyst,’ – really? You can’t think of a real person who’s become strong and confident without a horrible, traumatic event in their lives? Or is that just something you’ve got from Batman?

69. G1GAHURTZ

@66:

Not by any means.

Film/theater/etc are all just stories.

They’re either true or not. It’s just like watching the news to a large extent. You see/hear what happened or what someone says happened, and you react to it as you want.

When it becomes interactive, now you’re getting involved. And for every 100 normal people who would be horrified at the thought of letting a sexual crime be perpetrated on a vulnerable woman, there’s an Anders Breivik or a Graham Coutts, who will get some sort of sick arousal out of intentionally failing the mission.

So where do we stop?

Do we start making games that explore child abuse and peadophilia, justifying them as being a similar artistic exploration as Lolita?

70. djhsecondnature

Re: response. Well you clearly don’t want it to happen. I think there’s been a miscommunication somewhere that has drastically altered the discussion. Regardless of whether it was a man or a woman, you would want to save/protect them from any form of sexual assault surely?

71. TheBlackHole

#67

Well, that was an intelligent comeback. Congratulations.

72. Gheritt White

@ Helen Lewis: How does the interactivity affect it when this only occurs (as far as we know it) in a cut-scene?

73. djhsecondnature

Re: developers talking to the press. I think it’s very hard for them when there’s often such a huge backlash to the things they say. Why risk putting yourself in the firing line?

74. absolutezero

If the game in question stood to benefit from the inclusion of themes like those, I see no reason why games can not handle the same level of subject matter as anything else. Heavy Rain already tackled the subject of a child killer, not all that well but I would say it did just as well as The Lovely Bones did.

Simply saying because its interactive is a cop-out. Before video games people were scared on movies, then books, then music then whatever else they could easily pin blame on.

75. Da Man

Postal 2 is the biggest work of art, it’s only as violent and erm, chaotic as you are.

I wonder what will come after the video games?

76. absolutezero

Postal is actually a good example because it went through the same kinda thing as is happening now.

Then it got a movie version just as offensive, if not more and no one gave a single shit.

77. djhsecondnature

I also find it very interesting the general differing reaction to both sexual assault and murder. No-one bats an eye at a murdered, hell, you often play one, but sexual assault is deemed as something far far worse. I’m not debating as to whether one is worse than the other as both are deplorable, but it’s a widely had belief that a rapist is a far greater evil than a murdered.

Can this then be used as a means to portray the evil of someone, rather than the oddly perceived weakness of the victim?

78. Da Man

Oh dear.

The modern, free thinking, democratic age. Nothing is certain, everything is relative.

Postal2 should’ve been canned. Disagree? Oh well, hurr.

79. djhsecondnature

Re: Lara is an action character. She WAS an action character. This is both a reboot and a prequel/origins and as such everything can change, that’s what a reboot is.

80. Gheritt White

Sounds like this is turning into a discussion about the “rules” around re-booting particular IPs. Character [x] can do this, but shouldn’t do that etc. If so, you’re all straying into whiny fanboy territory.

81. Joel Snape

Okay, I’ve tried quite hard to articulate this properly:

Nobody’s saying that you can’t have rape/sexual assault scenes in any form of media. Nobody’s even saying that they have to be tastefully handled, whatever that means. I won’t seek those films/games/books out, because I don’t like them, but that’s my own taste.

The problem is very much that it’s Lara. As has been pointed out, she’s one of very few strong female characters in games, and people – including me – don’t like that she’s being made into a victim because the developers don’t have the wit or imagination to make her character more interesting in other ways. It doesn’t matter that one guy in Mafia has been the victim of an attempted sexual assault: what matter is that it wouldn’t happen to Solid Snake, or Leon Kennedy or Ryu. And it doesn’t even matter that rape is something that happens in real life, or that it would be a threat that some sort of ‘real life’ Lara Croft would face from ‘real life’ enemies, because videogames like Tomb Raider aren’t about real life. That’s all.

82. G1GAHURTZ

Har-de-hat… Helen Lewis eh?

No thanks.

Anyway, I’m just speaking in general. My original comment in this section was in response to #61. So I’m not talking about this specific game.

@76:

It’s not a cop out. The danger here is that you end up giving giving sick people the opportunity to, to a certain extent, live out their fantasies by physically and visually getting involved in doing things that destroy lives.

That doesn’t happen when you read a book, watch a film or watch Crimewatch.

There’s a clear difference.

83. G1GAHURTZ

@79:

Interesting point.

Just out of interest… Has anyone here ever ‘used’ a prostitute in a GTA game and then ‘killed’ her?

84. djhsecondnature

@85: Discussing the moralities of prostitution is a far more complex discussion, but it would be an entirely different game if you took a woman to your car and raped her, over paying for a prostitutes time.

85. viralshag

@84, Just because a book isn’t visual or a movie interactive doesn’t mean scenes of rape wouldn’t influence those types of people.

I don’t see how there is a clear difference between games and other forms of media. They still represent the same thing and in most cases, it will always be down to how the individual responds to what they’re seeing.

I don’t see what the difference is in what you’re saying about this and others saying that violent games have an effect on people… which a lot of people would write off.

*Sorry, edited this comment a fair bit.

86. Gheritt White

“My main problem is that it’s lazy”. So, we’re all okay with arguing *completely* subjectively here, then? There’s no objective point we’re trying to get across anymore? /shrugs.

The problem with any rape scene is if it was out of context, or sought to glamorise rape and/or make it an erotic act. This is the same in interactive AND passive forms of entertainment. As far as we know, Tomb Raider does neither.

Sarah says Lara is “raped into being awesome” and that it’s crass. Far from it, the scene appears to put Lara in a relatively believable situation (pretty girl stranded on island surrounded by nefarious males). Having one of these males attempt to exploit their isolation and Lara’s vulnerability doesn’t seem all that out of place, given the context. As a narrative device to explain the first time Lara kills another human, I’d say it’s pretty believable – again, given the context. Whether or not it’s crass depends on how it comes out in the final edit and is *intensely* subjective.

Personally, I don’t think you ought to ring fence rape and forbid its use as a narrative plot point. If presented intelligently, it can be a powerful, emotionally engaging dramatic device – like murder, torture or other forms of abuse.

Above all, I certainly don’t think we should be in a position to impose restrictions on developers as to how they can reboot characters. Strikes me, there’s too many shades of the ME3 ending fiasco towards the end of this discussion.

You don’t want Lara to be involved in an attempted rape scene because it’s Lara and it doesn’t fit in with your previously established understanding of her character? That’s hardly the most open minded, creativity-embracing attitude, is it? It implies that you don’t like your preconceived notions being challenged – a very conservative and reactionary viewpoint.

87. G1GAHURTZ

@86:

Exactly.

Maybe that’s because IRL, killing occasionally becomes justifiable. It’s ok to kill a bad guy, so ‘killing’ polygons and textures doesn’t really conflict with our innate nature when we put the pad down.

We see it as being different to rape, which is never justifiable in any situation.

88. G1GAHURTZ

@87:

I never said that violence is down to people playing violent games.

My main point is simply that you can’t justify what freedoms we should allow people in games by using non-interactive media as a reference point.

The two things are different.

Basically, I’m saying that if you want to give justification to putting content that involves sexual crimes into games, you (not specifically you, viralshag) need to find another reason.

89. viralshag

@90, I probably haven’t been following this as much as I should have but has it been confirmed if this is an interactive section of the game or just a cut-scene?

If it’s a playable part of the game then I can understand where you’re coming from, and I would say I agree.

For me, my point is if it adds to the character and story and is done in the right way – I don’t think it would hurt either character or game.

90. Joel Snape

Gheritt – yes, I am being subjective. Am I saying that it shouldn’t be *allowed*? No, apart from real extremes, then obviously creators/developers can do what they want. Am I saying that I, personally, have a problem with it, that it makes me less inclined to buy the game, and that I’m disappointed in the decisions that have been made up to this point? Yes: that’s exactly what I’m saying.

>>You don’t want Lara to be involved in an attempted rape scene because it’s Lara and it doesn’t fit in with your previously established understanding of her character?

That’s right. And also, as I mentioned further up, because she’s one of the only strong female characters in games. And because it’s something that is difficult to retcon later – once Frank Miller made Catwoman a prostitute, that was pretty much a part of her character forever, whatever anybody thought about it.

>>That’s hardly the most open minded, creativity-embracing attitude, is it?”

I’m not saying that they shouldn’t do it. I’m saying that I’m not going to support it. Especially when I don’t think there’s anything really ‘creative’ about it.

91. Gheritt White

Hey Joel, my comments weren’t directed at you, more towards the panellists who clearly moved the goalposts of their main argument as the discussion went on.

Now *that’s* lazy, IMHO.

92. OlderGamer

I don’t like Rape in games. Here is my thinking: video games are a visual and interactive entertainment. I don’t find rape entertaining in any sort of form. Rape is a horrible, horrible thing. I don’t need or want it in my games.

It has zero to do with realism. Zero to do with enhancing a story. Zero to do with a game reflecting real life. It has to do with class and respect for the people that have been attacked. There are some subjects that simple do not need to be in video game entertainment. Rape is one of them.

My two cents.

93. djhsecondnature

@94 – I don’t think it’s supposed to be ‘entertaining’, but used as a strong narrative point. And by burying our heads in the sand and saying “I don’t like something so I don’t want it discussed in my games” is perhaps a greater insult to those who actually have to deal with it.

94. xino

ok i missed the rape discussion.

so what happened?
    who got raped?

95. G1GAHURTZ

@91:

They’ve said it isn’t in the game at all.

I’m not 100%, but from what I understand, during E3, some guy claimed that there would be a part of the game where players would need to ‘protect’ Lara from attempted rape. There was a reaction to that, and now CD are claiming that the orignal guy was misunderstood, and there is no such part anywhere in the game.

96. OlderGamer

@95 wow you really have that all backwards. Understandable and I am sure your not alone on the subject.

Strong nerrative point?

Use something else.

As for burying our heads and pretending it didn’t happen…

You hold video games too highly in regaurd. Puting it in a game doesn’t make it better. It isn’t a coaping mechanisim for anyone. Having it in a game doesn’t make soiciety better. All it does is monitize aspects of a horrible crime. Video games are not a meaningful platform for public discussion of societies problems. Your giving games too much credit. They are interactive entertainment only. That is all they will ever be. They are not some grass roots movement to right social injustices.

Maybe it makes you feel empowered to think you can stop a video game rape. Fine. Strange, but fine. But do not, for one moment think playing a rape scene in a video game will benifit anyone.

I worked(albeit, indirectly) with abused women. Trust me your not helping them or the situation by playing the anti rape pov/char in a video game.

You have a very niave way of looking at it.

At the end of the day game pubs can put anything they want in their games. Doesn’t mean anything. Just someone trying to turn a buck over something they feel will get them extra attention.

97. Ireland Michael

I think @83 articulated it well.

Like I’ve tried to explain myself earlier in this thread, the problem isn’t with the scene itself. The problem is with the approach. It’s not because we want Lars to remain a “badass”. It’s because it’s a lazy attempt at characterisation.

98. DSB

99. Ireland Michael

People talk about how it’s okay in films, so it should be okay in games. If you actually have any knowledge of other forms of media, you’d know that it’s considered a lazy cop-out in those mediums too. Male abuse for characterisation of women is chauvinistic at its core, and a distinctly male approach. You rarely see a woman write a story about men being abused by women.

In comic book culture, this has taken on the legendart name of Women in Refrigerators”. it was a list compiled way back in 1999 that showed an uncomfortable trend in comic books in which female characters only relevant character development was death, rape and depowerment. Typically by men.

The only people who think rape / female abuse is a strong narrative point are men. Most women are sick of it, because it’s so nauseatingly common and overdone.

One scene would be fine, but everything we’ve seen about the game so far have an uncomfort focus on weakness, and not in a good way. She’s constantly being abused and hurt, and she’s *constantly* screaming. Oh thats rights, the writers want us to see her pain so we’ll want to “protect her”? What a load of sexist bullshit.

@98 I think it’s a little disheartening to suggest that video games story’s cant have any depth or meaning to them, and I think it’s ludicrous to suggest that the designers don’t at least try.

Whether they succeed or not is of course a completely different story.

100. OlderGamer

I never said they can’t have depth Mike. I just think that somethings don’t fall into the realem of entertainment. And something as poingent as rape is going to be such a tough subject to attempt. My beef was more in the notion that was suggested that by having rape in a game it could somehow be a respectful and positive thing.

At the end of the day, no matter what is done to a game, it is still a just a game.

101. Ireland Michael

@100 Curious why you linked that.

@102 There is no rape in the game. But there *is* an uncomfortable “leering” quality to the way they’re promoting her so far that makes me for one uncomfortable.

102. YoungZer0

@99: “Protect her”? Yep, that’s bullshit, how can the player “Protect her” if he IS Lara? That doesn’t make sense.

“At no point in any of this do we ever see her in control. We never see her instinct take over or adrenaline think in. We just see a week girl, constantly afraid, constantly struggling, constantly losing. It’s puerile. We actually need to see some strength in her come true in these trailers.”

Yeah, because we’ve seen so much material. God, you’re EXACTLY like the DMC-Crybabies. I’ve seen her grab a bow, from a dead body and use it to hunt an animal. She did that all by herself. No one helped her, definitely no man.

“I bet the main male cast will all be tough, scruffy and show little emotion, while Lara is freaking out constantly and not in control of herself. Because women are the only ones allowed to be weak.”

… I think you should stop making stuff up.

103. Night Hunter

Sorry, just wrote bullshit, disregard this comment

104. OlderGamer

@103 yep, I agree.

105. DSB

@101 The fact that it makes you uncomfortable isn’t really an argument for anything, and I’m not sure you should be speaking for women everywhere. The ones in the comment section don’t agree.

Rape is generally associated with those feelings. I don’t see why any writer should be obligated to make it a happy thing.

“I’m being raped, this is so characterbuilding”.

That’s not good dialogue either.

My wife is afraid of roaches. Should I chastize her for perpetuating such a base female stereotype? Sometimes reality is boring and predictable, or even uncomfortable.

106. G1GAHURTZ

@98:

107. viralshag

@98, I think that’s quite a sad way to look at any industry and in my opinion, I think you’re being the naive person here.

Writing off a form of media as anything other than just something for shits and giggles is ridiculously sad. It’s like telling musicians, artists or film makers to stop trying to promote anything outside of something nice for me to dance to, look at or listen to.

108. djhsecondnature

@98 – People said EXACTLY the same things with movies. This is an industry that is booming and will continue to grow, so covering such topics will have an impact of the future outcome of the media.

As for claiming my views are “backwards” or “naive”, it’s easier to have a mature debate without someone belittling your views so please don’t patronise me by believing that your experiences outweigh my own when you have no idea my personal situation.

It’s not about making society better, but by simply saying you cannot cover such a topic in games (which are just another form of media) because it’s too difficult or painful only hinders it’s global knowledge and potential empathy.

109. Ireland Michael

@104 ““Protect her”? Yep, that’s bullshit, how can the player “Protect her” if he IS Lara? That doesn’t make sense.”

Maybe you should tell the developers that then.

“…I think you should stop making stuff up.”

The crossroads trailers we’ve seen so far has Lara begging a man to come help her, and latter when found by a bunch of people, all but one of them are men, and she’s an emotional mess while they’re all calm and collected.

@105 Can’t tell if joke post. If not, feel free to elaborate.

110. ManuOtaku

The thing that amazes me the most, is why the Silent hill 2 rape didnt had the same type of reaction from gamers, and opinion pieces for that matter, and now an “attempt” is really having it, strange how we see things so differently.

111. Da Man

Wow, this is pretty much the first time I wholly agree with the old man.

112. DSB

Men do get subjected to rapey advances too.

113. viralshag

@110, +1.

What I find funny is how one minute gamers will talk about protecting the “artistic rights” of the devs and such when people complain about something in a game – ME3 ending for example – but then if a writer creates a story in a game with something like rape as a subject, people who personally don’t like or want to deal with it, all that stuff about protecting the artists vision goes out the window.

114. Ireland Michael

@107 I’m not condemning it because it makes me uncomfortable. I’m condemning it because it’s lazy.

Boys don’t Cry makes me uncomfortable. But it’s still a great movie. That particular scene near the end was so harsh I had the skip past it, but that was integral to the plot and the message of the story.

Lara is not a transexual trying to find acceptance with people who don’t understand who she, ultimately objectifying her as a woman despite her desire not to be seen that way. The movie’s tragic scenes were harsh, brutal and realistic, to try and hit home the point of tolerance and acceptance of people who are different from the norm.

Tomb Raider is not trying to reach such lofty heights. Surely you can see why the approach to characterisation for Lara is lazy at best, and sexist at worst?

@102 Context.

Silent Hill’s horrors are meant to be the mainfestation of the character’s own thoughts and desires.

The apartments were the “climax” of James’ sexual frustrations (alluding to the daily sexless life he had). The apartments leads into his first meeting with Maria, the outward manifestation of James’ sexual frustration, so after that there was no reason for Pyramid Head to display such behaviour.

115. OlderGamer

I said what I wanted to say. I just read endgames posts from the other thread and wow. Scary stuff.

116. DSB

@116 I don’t disagree with any of that, but why is it a women’s issue?

In all likelihood they’re just bad writers, and that isn’t exclusive to videogames.

What you have here is an explosive reaction based on some lousy PR, by a guy who wasn’t eloquent or likely smart enough to handle the presentation.

Then suddenly that becomes a big issue about how women are viewed, when really it’s a basic human instinct. Protect the females, so they can pass on the genes.

The weaker the female, the stronger the instinct. I don’t see how it becomes more or less reprehensible just because it’s badly written, and I don’t get why this is a big thing because it happens in Tomb Raider.

It’s the same concept as you’d find in the Stieg Larsson books, or Lars Von Trier movies, or Game of Thrones on HBO. Most women I know love Stieg Larsson and Game of Thrones.

117. G1GAHURTZ

@117:

The guy needs locking up.

118. YoungZer0

@111: So you’re going to judge the whole game based on just what one guy said? Maybe he’s thinking about differently then the others? Remember the Guy from Io Interactive who said that Hitman is Grindhouse all of a sudden?

You really choose to see what you wanted to see in the trailer, though. I saw a girl, not a woman, experience complete and utter horror. Waking up in a cannibal cave, the ground covered in bones, dead bodies hanging from the ceiling. Something like that would cripple anybodies mind.

Of course she’s begging, she’s completely alone and she’s no Tier 1 Spec Ops, for fucks sake. What would you do?

“Oh, yeah, i guess you could get me out of here, if you got nothing else to do.” That is exactly the kind of macho-bullshit some lonely comicbook author would describe as ‘strong’. But it really isn’t. It’s inhuman. It’s cartoony and doesn’t belong in a realistic setting.

She’s stranded on an island. Completely isolated from the outside world. Everybody would be begging.

And it’s not a man, she begged, it’s a bunch of people as you could hear from his answer. And if you looked closer, you’d seen that the people who came to help her had no dirt, no blood on them. Maybe they didn’t experience what she experienced. That’s why they seem so to be so calm.

But how should we know, that scene was 2 fucking seconds long.

119. Ireland Michael

@118 Then we both essentially agree on the same thing. It’s just bad writing.

That was my point from the beginning, I’m not a fan of censorship, and I’m most definitely not PC. I just think they could have done a far better job. If they don’t want us to see her that way, don’t present her that way.

@120 It’s his job to present the character properly. If that’s the underlying theme they’re going with, its a little disconcerting.

*Obviously* I’m only working with what I’ve seen so far. If the final product turns out to be completely different and does a brilliant job in developing her character, I for one will be ecstatic.

120. DSB

@121 Absolutely.

But like you say we haven’t actually played the game, so I’m not sure how much I mind just yet.

Did you play Mafia II? The protagonist didn’t show weakness, but he did have a naked fat guy rubbing up against him in the shower.

121. bo_7md

I’m with bad writing here as well. What I don’t get is the objection about
    “protect her” part; surely if you know someone who was raped or see someone being raped you would want to help and protect them –be it a woman, a man or a child.

The second thing is, the chat above was more of a discussion than a debate. A debate, as far as I know, involves people of opposing views.

Then comes the part about the male rape. That was funny especially after someone says, what basically means, “The other sex has no idea how bad ours is portrayed,” then fails to give an example like that, LoL moment right there.

Meh, anywho…lets wait for it to come out, then we talk.

122. roadkill

What 54 said!

123. DSB

@124 I thought that was pretty weak as well.

Next time you really should get someone with a different view Pat. It was a nice chat and all, but it was completely onesided.

124. shogoz

who gives a fuck, it can get raped and have its vagina mutilated by bamboo for all i care because it’s not real. god, what a bunch of nerds. we all know that an attempted rape will occur in the game so why are we having this pointless chat. the game is much more likely to be talked about if it’s featured. fuck me, go to uni already and learn something about life outside of games. studies show those that dont attend university turn out to be wife beaters and rapists while those that do attend university make a fuckload of money. sorry but its true.

125. Ireland Michael

@127 This has to be a troll post.

126. bo_7md

@128 Either that or a retard; in both cases, it’s best to ignore it until it goes away.

127. endgame

@127 Finally someone who understands! I salute you smart person! o7

128. Christopher Jack

I’d frankly be disturbed if Nathan Drake was about to be violated by a lady. But lets be real here, how often do we ever hear of a fully grown male being sexually violated by a woman? I don’t think I’ve ever read a newspaper or seen a news report mentioning such things. However, I constantly hear of fully grown males violating both fully grown woman & children too, some times even other men but that’s mainly prison stories. So I’ve just got this to say, is a stereotype really a stereotype if it’s true? My only problem is the way they’ve got Lara reacting, it’d be natural for anyone, regardless of gender, to not react well to a rape attempt, however, she’s a renown badass, she ain’t gonna let no dirty man touch her but she’s clearly afraid & hesitant in the trailer. I reckon everyone would be happy if the man attempted to grab one of her breasts & she simply punched his lights out, but that’s just not the case here.

129. OrbitMonkey

^ it’s funny you say that, I recently read a agony aunt story where some guy got wasted drunk & the next day was told he’d had sex with some women. Now he couldn’t remember a thing of this and didn’t really like the women.

The result? He felt violated. He knew if sober he wouldn’t have touched her, he felt taken advantage of.

Just goes to show male sexuality is just as complex I guess. Nothing to do with videogames I know ;-)