You’ll need to “protect” the new Lara Croft, Crystal Dynamics says

Tuesday, 12th June 2012 23:17 GMT By Debabrata Nath

The new Tomb Raider game seems to be a far cry from those made in the past: Lara isn’t portrayed as a fearless treasure hunter capable of taking down ten grown men by herself any more.

The new Tomb Raider reboot features a younger Lara who’s yet to become the powerful figure from previous games, and you, the player, will be required to protect her.

Speaking to Kotaku, the game’s executive producer Ron Rosenberg explained:

“When people play Lara, they don’t really project themselves into the character, they’re more like, ‘I want to protect her.’ There’s this sort of dynamic of, ‘I’m going to this adventure with her and trying to protect her.’”

Rosenberg added: “She’s definitely the hero but— you’re kind of like her helper.

“When you see her have to face these challenges, you start to root for her in a way that you might not root for a male character.

“The ability to see her as a human is even more enticing to me than the more sexualized version of yesteryear. She literally goes from zero to hero. We’re sort of building her up and just when she gets confident, we break her down again.”

Rosenberg went on to say that the game is going to be a more mature take on the character, and compared it to the origin stories of comic book characters like Spider-Man or Batman.

At one point in the game, Lara will face an attempted rape.

“She is literally turned into a cornered animal,” Rosenberg said. “It’s a huge step in her evolution: she’s forced to either fight back or die.”

It’s dark material, the type of content you might not expect from an action-adventure game like Tomb Raider. But Rosenberg isn’t worried about alarming people too much. He says players will see right away that this is a darker, “more mature” version of Lara’s story.

“We’re not trying to be over-the-top, shock people for shock’s sake,” he said. “We’re trying to tell a great origin story.”

The new Tomb Raider is in development by Crystal Dynamics and is going to release on March 5, 2013 for PC, Xbox 360 and PS3.

1. jacobvandy

So how long until people cry sexism over Lara being portrayed as a weaker, more vulnerable female that “you’ll need to protect?”

2. Aimless

“She is literally turned into a cornered animal”

Beast Mode confirmed?

3. Ireland Michael

Wow, talk about unintentionally sexist.

I want her to be green, not a whiney, abused weakling. I don’t want to “protect” her. I want to see her learn the ropes and fight for herself.

And what about… oh… I don’t know… the actual female gamers playing the game? They can’t relate to her either? This reeks of men failing to understand how female character work, and turning them into what they want, not what they are.

4. xino

saw the trailer on my ps3!

this is one deep intense game!
    The gameplay aspect will be divided so you’ll be climbing and doing platforming, QTE segments and shooting segments.

Loving the new Lara Croft, Square Enix are on a roll man, I can’t believe they have money after the stuff they went through.
    I’m sure they are depending on their new games coming out 2012 and 2013 to bring some money back.

5. absolutezero

This approach worked really well with Samus.

Oh wait that never worked at all and was actually fucking stupid.

6. Old MacDonald

Didn’t look like she had to be protected much in that stupid E3-trailer.

7. Da Man

Oh no she isn’t unisex, that goes against everything I fight for on the internet. I won’t be able to press the buttons now.

8. back_up

best game of 2013
    can’t wait for more gameplay