This is one Borderlands 2 dev’s wish for Borderlands 3

Tuesday, 12th June 2012 22:16 GMT By Dave Oshry

We recently spoke with one of the Borderlands 2 devs.  Here’s the one thing he wishes for in Borderlands 3.

In our PC focused discussions with Art Direcor Jeremy Cooke about the game, I asked him what was the one thing he wished for in Borderlands 2 that they simply couldn’t accomplish. The one thing that he wishes they could do with their next title.  His reply?

Jeremy wishes Borderlands 2 didn’t have load times.

He wishes Pandora could be one giant seamless world without instanced “dungeons” so to speak.  And they’ll “get there” – he’s certain.  It’s just not possible during this console generation.

Could they do it on PC?  ”Absolutely” says Cooke – but Borderlands 2 is not a PC only title.

I’ve always felt that Borderlands would make a great MMO and that in many ways it “feels” much like an MMO with its instanced dungeons and loot structure.  However, Jeremy told me he has no wishes to see a Borderlands MMO and much prefers the cooperative nature of the game as it stands currently.

What say you?  Do the load times and instances of Borderlands bother you?  Or is Jeremy just nit picking from a developer point of view?

1. TheWulf

I’m not bothered by load times. The fact of the matter is is that every game that’s had load times has had more detailed, packed in world than every game that hasn’t. The only exception to this has really been Rockstar’s engine, but that’s the exception to the rule.

Plus, a lot of that has to do with the simplicity of the games that run on Rockstar’s engine. They’re hardly open-ended RPGs. Now, with something like New Vegas you have complexity, but the world simply (admittedly) doesn’t look as good as it could have if it wasn’t seamless.

When you look at seamless MMORPGs, for example, they’re big, empty, bland things. The detail is very sparing and sparse, the textures low quality, and so on. The technology isn’t there. But my most recent experiences with a zoned MMORPG (Guild Wars 2) has given me loveliness.

If I had to choose between loading screens and loveliness, or seamless and barren? I’d choose the former. Give me loveliness any day.

2. freedoms_stain

Nobody likes loading times.

3. Maximum Payne

Considering on PC loading are way faster then on consoles they are not a problem

4. Edo

Yeah…loading times definitely suck,and it could be done on PC?Who knew……………

5. Telepathic.Geometry

I think it’s a decent compromise if you can hide your load times in long tunnels, elevators and glitchy mechanical doors a la Metroid Prime.

6. Dave Oshry

@5 eh, I hate that tbh. They did that in one of the Tony Hawk games and it felt tedious. I think Max Payne 3 did it very well by having the cut scenes double as the load times.

7. kickass5946

Load times are a pain in the butt but its not something im going to say im not buying that game because it has loading screens. Id love to see borderlands seamless like skyrim is, and if it happens in the third installment it would be spectacular. But skyrim is alot smaller than borderlands is. four towns on borderlands equal all of skyrim. It would require a metric shit ton of data. But if borderlands comes out on the xbox 720, which will be released in coming years, it may be possible. I wouldnt mind seeing borderlands 3 go to a pc and xbox release only. similar to god of war being ps3 only. I know this wont happen though. Im thinking this : Borderlands 3, coming October 2014 – march 2015. (supposing the world survives 2012 and the asteroid “2012 da14″)