Treyarch: “Black Ops 2 to be the most provocative, shocking Call of Duty yet”

Monday, 11th June 2012 23:12 GMT By Debabrata Nath

That’s according to Call of Duty: Black Ops 2′s game director David Anthony.

Speaking during an interview with CVG, Anthony said that fans can rest assured that Black Ops 2 is going to deliver the goods.

“Obviously I can’t give anything away, but I can tell you, absolutely, that Black Ops 2 is going to be the most provocative, shocking, engaging story that a Call of Duty player has ever seen,” he said.

“I am very, very proud of how hard the team has worked, and how the game has turned out, and I can’t wait for the fans to get hold of this thing.”

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 is in development for PS3, PC, and Xbox 360 and will be releasing on November 12, 2012.

A Wii U version was outed by Nintendo Power magazine today but is yet to be announced officially.

1. Talkar

Of course it will be provocative. That is how they get free advertising after the game has released, and that is also why they’ve done that for years, and will continue doing it.

2. TMRNetShark

I wholeheartedly believe that my disbelief is by far the most profound, shocking, and truthful point of view when I say… taken with a grain of salt.

See? I can use adjectives too… >.>

3. DSB

It’s pretty silly really.

4. Ireland Michael

The irony of this after the big debate on war on the website earlier today is not lost on me.

Good for you Treyarch. It’s still going to be shit.

5. OlderGamer

It is how the game(retail console/marketing) is played. This game will have the shit hyped out of it, all CoDs do. And the bulk of the targeted demographic will eat it right up.

To each, their own.

6. OrbitMonkey

Keeping the same engine for 6 games is not controversial, it’s cheap.

7. DSB

@5 Honestly I don’t think that’s the case, and that’s what makes it silly.

Nobody plays CoD so they can experience a terror attack of any sort. At least I haven’t met anyone who thought that those scenes were awesome, outside of maybe one Norwegian lunatic.

If you’re marketing a less known game and you make it onto Fox News, then that’s a lot of valuable marketing for no extra expense (see Hitman) but I’m pretty sure that people know what CoD is at this point, and I’m pretty sure they don’t need more than gratuitous gunfire, legions of nameless henchmen and explosions to keep those people happy.

Didn’t Kim Kardashian say she played?

8. The_Red

Couldn’t agree more.

COD games have become so huge, so insane and so over the top that most supposedly “shocking” scenes end up being silly at best. Now I’m not saying that bombing children or killing innocent people is silly but they way anything is shown and handled in a COD game is way too silly to be considered provocative.