Blizzard changes security measures in preparation for Diablo III real-money auction house

Saturday, 9th June 2012 20:10 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Blizzard has announced that in preparation for the launch of the Diablo III real-money auction house, it has made some changes to account-security measures required to use Battle.net Balance.

In a post detailing the changes on Battle.net, Blizzard said updates will be made to the Terms of Use available the website, and when the real-money auction house goes live, all players will be asked to re-read and accept the changes the next time they play Diablo III.

The firm has also made adjustments to “how players can use and access their Battle.net Balance.”

“Starting today, in order to add to your Battle.net Balance, players will be required to have a Battle.net Authenticator or Battle.net Mobile Authenticator attached to their Battle.net account,” said the firm.

“For clarity, this means you’ll need to have an Authenticator to add to your balance via Battle.net Account Management or to send the proceeds of your real-money auction house sales to your Battle.net Balance.

“Please note that players who previously added Battle.net Balance to their account prior to this change will be able to use it to make eligible purchases on Battle.net and in the auction house without attaching an Authenticator. However, an Authenticator will be required to add to your balance in the future, as explained above.”

Blizzard said it realizes the addition “crates an extra step for players during the login process,” it feels the added layer of account protection will “foster a safer auction house environment,” for all players.

Still no date on when the real-money auction house will go live.

1. Talkar

It is important to note that both Diablo 3 and StarCraft 2, along with WoW i’m told, only requires you to enter the authenticator code very rarely, since it remembers from what IP you’re logging in from, and it will just require it at random times to confirm, or when you log in from a new location.

2. DSB

@1 Really? I haven’t used mine in about a year, but it required it on every single login.

I’ve also had my account locked twice within 48 hours because I let a friend play on his account using my PC, on a different server region. It seems to me like security is pretty stringent.

3. Giskard

@1,2

They changed it recently, about 6-8 months ago. Now Battle.net remembers your hardware setup or IP, and if you login from the same computer multiple times, you usually only have to enter the authenticator code the first time around.

4. OlderGamer

I enter mine each and everytime. But maybe I am not fully understanding what your saying.

5. Kabby

When you log in using an authenticator it records a software ‘token’ too. This token is valid for that PC on that IP address and lasts for about a week. This means that you usually only need to use your key once a week(ish).

This is a convenience measure and is enabled by default. This was added about 8 months back as mentioned.

You can force Blizz games to ask for the auth code on every log in, like it used to, by changing a setting on your battle.net account web page.

6. Talkar

Maybe you’re not using a static IP and thus it can change every single time you need to obtain one. Try asking your ISP for a static one if it isn’t already ;)

7. fearmonkey

This is not true for me, I have to login with the authenticator everytime. My Ip hasnt changed either…
    I dont mind having to use it, i prefer it this way.

8. Hirmetrium

The setting is in your battle.net account management. I’ve disabled mine for the moment, but I might enable it again later on.

9. GwynbleiddiuM

@DSB actually you can set that. When I was adding mine it asked if I want to use a new key on each login or once every week which I chose every login option.

10. TheWulf

Probably a good idea, Blizz, considering the hacks (and even that people with authenticators got hacked, despite claims otherwise).

11. Kabby

If the auth process for Diablo is the same as WoW there is almost no way you can be hacked with an authenticator on the account.

Blizzard have publically stated that no accounts with authenticators have been hacked.

So either:-
    Blizzard are lying,
    the Diablo authentication process is completely broken or
    a pile of non-auth key users have been phished

12. GwynbleiddiuM

@11 It’s the same thing they all use the same login and authentication credentials.