Sony locked for gamescom 2012

Friday, 8th June 2012 10:21 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Koelnmesse’s announced that Sony will be at gamescom this year after news emerged yesterday that it had yet to sign a contract for the German show.

“Hey community, we are for you currently in Los Angeles, the gamescom to advertise and bring good news,” reads the very poor machine translation on its Facebook page.

It comes as it was discovered that SCEE had yet to sign a deal to be at this year’s show with Koelnmesse and German games body the BIU.

So far, only Sega and Nintendo have pulled out of the show. Sega’s withdrawal is due to “business reasons”, while Nintendo will rep Wii U as part of a roadshow in Germany ahead of its holiday release.

THQ is also weighing up its options for the show in a business sense, but it won’t have a booth there regardless.

Gamescom takes place from August 15-19 in Cologne.

1. Cozzy

Show me some more Last of Us…and give us a release date while you’re at it!

2. Johnny Cullen

I’ve got two weeks off after today. The day I’m back, I’m immediately jumping into gamescom planning (not because I have to, because I want to).

Can’t wait now for this year’s show after the lineup of games at E3.

3. Cozzy

Enjoy your two weeks off, after the coverage you guys gave us for E3 you definitely deserve it.

I’m not surprised, this Gamescom looks like it’s going to be awesome!

4. Moonwalker1982

Awesome job VG247, that’s all i can say. Non stop news is an understatement :)

As for Sony, only looking forward to The Last of Us and Beyond. I don’t have any good words for the so damn unnessecary Smash Bros ripoff.

5. SolidGamerSnake

Hey Community, we are currently in Los Angeles to promote the Gamescom and got some good news: Sony will also be exhibiting this year on the Gamescom…We are looking forward to the news… (<– news= new games)

a better translation^^ (made by the machine in my brain)

6. KAP

This news should shut the haters up a little…

7. Gadzooks!

#6

Why? It doesn’t matter where they show their semi-interactive ‘games’.

Focussing on gameplay instead of technology might ‘shut the haters up’.

8. Cozzy

@7 Have you seen The Last of Us demo? If that doesn’t focus on gameplay (as well as look stunning) then I don’t know what does.

Beyond’s gameplay is mostly QTEs but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

9. Beta

#7 But if they did it could go the opposite way and the “haters” would then go “ahh your game suxxor teh ps3 badd wish they had gears awsum grafics”

I like Quantic Dreams style of gameplay. There aren’t actually many Games that I can think of that play like their’s do and Heavy Rain actually sold decently so there is an audience for that type of game, you obviously aren’t in their target audience.

10. Joe Musashi

@6 You know what they say about haters and hating.

Yeah.

JM

11. Moonwalker1982

Heavy Rain was awesome, i got all cought up in that story and i truly felt almost…down after some play sessions and eventually the ending. I don’t have that with many other games. I wouldn’t say it’s mostly QTE though, you still do walk on your own, so that’s at least something :)

Does this mean they will be in the Business center at Gamescom or both businesscenter and normal showfloor? I’ll be going to the show myself too, along with my friends for our own little website. So its great to know we can definitely expect The Last Of Us and hopefully Beyond too.

12. TD_Monstrous69

@11 I know what you mean about feeling down after some play sessions of Heavy Rain, because two of the characters died the way I played it (one midway, the other at the end, Norman Jayden and Ethan Mars).
    I more than look forward to hearing and seeing more on The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls (that’s its full name people), God Of War Ascension, as well as seeing if they’ve got any suprises in store for gamescom, seeing as how this is where they usually break more news.