Shopto lists Wii U for £280, Swedish retailer asking £135 for GamePad

Friday, 8th June 2012 13:20 GMT By Johnny Cullen

UK online retailer Shopto is the first to place a price on Wii U at £280

Both the white and black versions of the hardware listed by the site for £279.99.

Nintendo has actually yet to price or date the console beyond just holiday 2012.

The Swedish arm of GAME has also gone up with a separate listing for the GamePad at £135. It was confirmed during the Nintendo E3 press conference that two GamePads could be used on one Wii U.

Again, Nintendo has yet to price the GamePad for a separate release. The Pro Controller is also listed for over £60.

Thanks, Videogamer.

1. AHA-Lambda

eh?! £135 for the tablet? That can’t be right! D:

2. Froseidon

If that is the right pricing (I’ assuming change), Nintendo really want to burn a hole in your pocket on release (Similar to what Sony did w/PS3 / Vita).

I kind of want this (depending on release games), and I want a Vita, yet they’re really expensive =S

3. OrbitMonkey

Place holder prices surely?? Otherwise *ouch*

4. DrDamn

How much do you think it would be? It has to be the best part of £100 at least. £120/£130 is not going to be far off.

5. The_Red

They’re definitely place holder prices. Nintendo tried the overpricing thing with 3DS and it backfired on them… Unless they want to do another drastic price cut with Wii U and Wiipad. I really hope they learn from 3DS and price their console properly.

While most people were discouraged after Nintendo’s conference, I actually kinda got interested in the console thanks to superb showing of Rayman Origins. That along with some ideas shown in ZombiU (The instant death part, not the gimmicky “Use pad to open inventory or lockpick” stuff) have kinda made me curious about Wii U.

6. DrDamn

I think about £250/$250 for the main unit and a gamepad, but an extra gamepad has to come in at £100/$100+. That’s actually not far off what a Wii-mote + nunchuk + wii-mote plus RRP cost at one point.

7. AHA-Lambda

@4 – and then no one will buy them though?

8. DrDamn

They will. People tend not to look at those extra costs when buying a machine, but will want one when they have a game which uses it well. Nintendo don’t sell stuff at a loss, so think about current costs, add a sizeable resistive screen, add built-in rechargeable battery which they haven’t traditionally done, the fact it can be used separately from the machine so needs processing power. Why wouldn’t it be about that price is the bigger question?

Edit: Just found that it’s a resistive screen … ewww. Suppose that will save some cash.

9. AHA-Lambda

oh yeah i understand the costs of why the tablet would be that much but no one will pay £99+ for an extra controller, they just won’t.

10. Razor

And I thought £40 for a DualShock 3 was a rip-off :P

11. The_Red

Yeah, $250 for system and pad makes sense but £250 would be too high. Really hope it’s the former. I’d be fine with a single Pad.

12. Erthazus

£135 for gamepad?

LOL?

for £135 you can buy RAZER keyboard and mouse for your PC or buy a lot of Dualshocks or Xbox 360 controllers.

Not to mention that this controller does not have MULTITOUCH.

13. poketrainer

Pssh. Why would anyone believe this? They are place holder guesses. GameStop has Wii U games listed for $100 while others have them at $60. But it looks like the Wii U could come out in October so maybe they’ll charge a premium to early adopters

14. laxan96

My guess would be 299£ 399€ 449$ for the main console with gamepad maybe they will price it at 250£ 349€ 399$ who know. I mean The gamepad it self surely costs around 100€ to manufacter and ship to retailer, and then theres the console which probably costs around 150-200€ cause it´s like I think it was 15 or 20€ better then the xbox.

The second pricing I mentioned with 349€ would make more sense.

15. Dragon246

My guess is pathetic sales till -
    1.Price Drop AND,
    2.Mario and Zelda comes(which some like, I frankly dont).

16. pukem0n

the console itself is propably cheaper than the gamepad.
    microsoft makes a profit while selling an xbox for 100$ and the Wii U doesnt seem to be a lot better than that