Crytek: CryEngine “pushing the boundaries”, “way beyond next-gen consoles already”,

Friday, 8th June 2012 15:42 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli has told CVG the next-gen CryEngine is “way beyond next-gen consoles,” adding it’s “pushing the boundaries” on the new hardware.

Yerli said two teams were working on CryEngine: one working on updating CryEngine 3 and the other on the next major iteration.

“We’ve been touting CryEngine as a next-gen technology for about two years now. Since 2010 CryEngine has been next-gen ready. You look at today’s next-gen offerings with supposedly next-gen graphics… That’s exactly what we were talking about two years ago,” he said.

“People have by now caught up but we haven’t been sitting around – we’ve been pushing the boundaries as well,” he added. “A lot of these features will be visible in the next iteration for the engine.

“We were one of the first studios in the world to get access to all of the next-generation consoles. Obviously we can’t talk about what they are but we know what next-gen entails. I think people… I’m not going to judge it because it’ll get me in trouble, but next-gen is actually not a clear picture right now.”

Yerli said in an interview overnight that Crytek was transitioning into a F2P company once the contracts on its boxed efforts were completed.

1. Gekidami

It can even beat up Superman AND Goku!

2. Beta

I’m brought back to the publicity of Crysis 2, Our story is The best story in gaming history, other stories wish they were executed as well as ours, our graphics will blow all others completely out of the water on consoles.

God they were arrogant! I’m gonna take this with a pinch of salt :)

3. YoungZer0

@2: To be honest the story was pretty good, the execution was a total joke, the graphics were fantastic … after you’d install the DirectX11 Patch.

4. Beta

#3 I agree with you on PC they were indeed brilliant! But on Console, they were good, but I was expecting better for some reason.

It wasn’t what they said that really irked me, it was the way they went about saying it, with an air of superiority, I dunno I’m easily annoyed I guess :)

5. YoungZer0

@4: Nope, i think you speak for everybody. All this hot-air was just annoying.

6. Ireland Michael

Oh god, will they ever shut up?

Next they’ll be claiming their AI is so advanced that it’s gained it’s own consciousness.

7. ManuOtaku

“Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli has told CVG the next-gen CryEngine is “way beyond next-gen consoles,”

So if according to you the next gen consoles will not exist,because they will die or fade away this next gen, then this game will not exist either, therefore it will have no story, no gameplay and no AI, well then it will be not that different from Crysis 2 isnt it, you just could say it will be like crysis 2 then, more suscint please next time.

p.s sorry, i will not erase my comment, even if it doesnt make sense, for one time i did thought he did mentioned Crysys 3 And not Cry engine, as it is the case here, really sorry, man fridays my tiny brain is at is half capacity.

8. Kuwabara

I wish sony and microsoft would get together and come to agreement and release a console , at the minimum being $599/699. So it could be a true next gen system…

9. Beta

#8 It sounds like a good idea until you consider the fact that there’d be no competition and they wouldn’t have to try as hard. And you’d seriously spend $700 on a gaming console? Or were you being sarcastic? XD

10. Phoenixblight

Sony has learned their lesson on putting their system at that price point it end up costing them 3 years and since we are still recovering from a recession I doubt they will do that again.

11. Maximum Payne

New consoles need to be way more powerful then just upgraded ram and newer graphics architecture(dx11 for example).
    Stuff like Final Fantasy tech demo should be standard for next gen.

12. OlderGamer

“I think people… I’m not going to judge it because it’ll get me in trouble, but next-gen is actually not a clear picture right now.”

I wonder what he means, what was he going to say?

I bet he doesn’t think much of next gen console graphics. Could be wrong tho.

13. Kuwabara

@9 I live in australia and i paid $999 for the ps3 when it launched here! as did many others. Secondly it shouldnt take you more than a week or 2, assuming you have a job, to be able to buy a console at $700. even if it takes a month. Think about , a 700 dollar investment which will last you atleast 6 years.It is worth it.

Also you are WRONG about no competition if they were evenly priced. The reason why is because both systems have something unique to offer. Xbox has live and their exclusives, and services, while playstaion has their own market of gamers and exclusives, own kind of established services. having a console being priced the same doesn’t mean a thing.

yes i know that won’t happen, unless they come to some agreement with microsoft. I wish they could atleast set a standard between the two, such as cpu, graphics, ram etc after having a talk with the big developers.

14. Phoenixblight

“a 700 dollar investment which will last you atleast 6 years.It is worth it.”

Same can be said about a PC which also allows you to upgrade it which 700$ for a console is moronic when I can buy a PC that is a bigger power house than the console. And the exclusives and online functionality do not warrant that price either.

15. Beta

I do have a job I’m a night care worker and I live in Britain so I can’t help but think about money in pounds and £700 would be a pretty big investment for a hobby.

You said you wanted them to get together, come to an agreement and release a console which would imply they are creating one console between them hence no competition.

If I misunderstood then sorry :)

16. fearmonkey

Why buy a $700 console when you can buy a PC with HDMI for around that?
    Most PC games these days support a controller so you get roughly the same experience.

I love consoles but anything over $500 is too much. I do expect an awesome console, previous consoles were $299 to $399 at launch, I feel that is fair. If the Console is REALLY awesome, then I will pay up to $499, but that means it better have the absolute latest technology.

Crytek makes impressive engines, but I haven’t loved their games as much as I wanted to. I enjoyed far cry, crysis, and crysis 2 for awhile, but never finished them.

The next gen game I am mostly excited about is Watch Dogs so far, and that may or may not be released on next gen consoles.

17. Kuwabara

@15, sorry for the confusion.

@14, the exclusives on a console are worth it! well for a ps3 anyway, as u can get most xbox 360 games on pc. But as a whole the exclusives and multiplats, you are better off on a console.

@16 If a console had the highest specs or even tech not released yet for pc, why wouldn’t you pay that much. It’s hard to get a across to someone who is a avid pc gamer, but for those who have grown up with consoles and what the games that are only released on consoles, not only looking so great, but having the specs to create advancements in gaming, technology, ai, physics,, to go beyond what he have today. Even if you are a pc and console gamer, wouldn’t you want to see exclusives that look amazing, and up there with pc games? or even further.

But the whole point to this is that we need a console that cost alot, if it is to be considered next gen worthy. Graphical upgrades is not next gen. You need major advancements in graphics, ai, physics, otherwise they shouldn’t bother for another few years if they’re aren’t willing to take a giant leap.

18. Phoenixblight

“the exclusives on a console are worth it! well for a ps3 anyway, as u can get most xbox 360 games on pc. But as a whole the exclusives and multiplats, you are better off on a console.”

A handful of exclusive IPs do not warrant a price for 700$. Thats as moronic as buying a system so you can play a single game.

SOny only has a few of IPs, I am interested in and that is Infamous,God of War and Last of Us.

200$ worth of games some how warrants 700$? Yeah that makes sense…Not.

19. Dragon246

“pushing the boundaries”, “way beyond next-gen consoles already”
    Ok, so which hardware can play it? Why develop something which is not useful.

20. Calin Banc

@19,
    For the PC.

21. Dragon246

@20,
    Yeah knew it .But like he says “waaaaaaaaaay beyond next-gen”, looks like even supercomputers cant handle their software.
    On a side note, how do they develop it then?

22. Erthazus

@21, For your information. You can create the engine with visuals that no hardware in the world can support for example.

Id Software long time ago started to develop id Tech 6 that supports voxels. Only in 2009 we started to get graphics card that could at least support them.

23. Calin Banc

@21,
    Crysis was one of those games, way before it’s time. If you add mods to it, I’d say it looks pretty much as “next-gen” game.

24. Dragon246

@22,
    idtech5 was first shown in 2007, so how the next iteration be in development for a long time.
    I was saying that if a software cant even run on your own computer, how can you develop it. It will just be an hypothetical algorithm with no proof of concept as nothing can support it.

What I meant earlier is that they are exaggerating the facts.

25. Calin Banc

@24,
    Again, Crysis wasn’t able to run at he’s full potential until relatively recent. You probably run that application in low res or at low FPS, but still, it can be made to work.

26. Dragon246

@25,
    You are still not understanding what I am saying, the workstations used by engine devs use industrial gpus and no consumer grade gpus match them.

27. Kuwabara

@18, your an idiot. i could easily list over 25 exclusives that’s worth it.

28. lexph3re

Pheonix, Kuwabara you both have valid points. To be fair the amount of money you can put into a console would practically be identical to buying a high end pc with no games. Only perk about buying the high end pc is the ability to get the games for free.

Probably the best thing about consoles is the factor that you don’t have to spend money on hardware upgrades like a pc. You can just buy and go very handy.

29. Calin Banc

@26,
    Well, as long as you have a design (DX for example), it should be enough. You make a engine that it will be proper for your game (or buy the license to use it) and make sure that it runs on current hardware’s specifications – DX9/10/DX11 or DX11.1, OpenGL etc. They test that anyway on commercial GPUs.

To make a game “more powerful than the future hardware will handle”, it could use a lot more tessellation, better lighting and shadows, higher detail, an improved LOD and drawing distance and so on.

That goes in line with my previous statement, CE 2 was design on hardware that was unable to run it at 60FPS in FullHD or even 1680×1050. They didn’t have a GTX680/7970 back in the day for that. :)

30. OlderGamer

“From another point of view, maybe the future consoles won’t be as powerful as we and they would like them to be.”

Thats what I am thinking. I have also read that the new xbox graphics cards can be bought at best buy for 60usd. I believe MS will be using a modified version, and I am guessing that could make a huge difference. But, and I am not a techie guru, I believe that there is a slider scale of power vs cost.

I am guessing next gen systems from MS and Sony, will be in multi SKUs that range in price between 499usd and 699usd. And I think they will be nice, but I doubt they will be amazing, graphicly. I am guessing the graphics will be on par as a medium high PC game rig right now, maybe.

31. Calin Banc

Those rumors can’t be true. I think they’re gonna push for 1080p as the new native resolution in which case, a weaker although modern GPU, will only manage to do that in the current conditions. They’ll need something powerful to drive on the sales and to really show that the new consoles are worthy of the clients money. A detailed world, even a virtual one, needs processing power, especially in the long run – 6-7 years down the road.