Star Wars 1313 too “grounded” for magical Jedi “demigod complex”

Thursday, 7th June 2012 00:23 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Not to call out your lifelong obsession with George Lucas’s rapidly disintegrating sci-fi epic vision, but Star Wars 1313 is keeping it real, padawan.

Creative director Dominic Robillard told Kotaku he’s not anti-Jedi, but that the team at LucasArts is going for a different feel.

“It’s not that I think that that’s overdone, but the criminal underworld of 1313 is a little more grounded and that has to live in the mechanics of the game,” he said.

“Having mechanics that are limited by human ability makes things more relatable, then we can put all the cool stuff you can do into the gadgets and weapons.

“You still get to do all of these amazing things because of the environment the game takes place in and because of the gear you have, but at the core you still have these vulnerabilities that are a bit more relatable, so you won’t have the demigod complex of a Jedi.”

We still don’t have any platform or release information for Star Wars 1313, but the E3 demo is being shown on a PC using an Xbox 360 controller, so there’s certainly hope for a launch this generation. Check out some gameplay footage here.

1. Talkar

Give me some cortosis armor, and i’ll kill any jedi ^^

2. daytripper

I hope it will be for next generation systems personally, I was blown away by what I saw the other night and PC along with new Xbox/Playstation would be ideal .

3. TMRNetShark

I don’t know about anyone else… but I’m way more fascinated by the Han Solo/Boba Fett fantasy versus a Jedi one. I mean come on, that was the reason why Episode One sucked! No Han Solo/Boba Fett types of heros! Instead, we get Jaja Binks! At least we got Jango Fett in Episode 2!

I loved the Mandalorian series books too. This game will fit perfectly with me. :P

4. Fnoros

Honestly, i only ever liked star wars for the non-jedi characters. It’s hard to care about a character that basically can’t die, and against whom no weapon (other than another lightsaber) is effective. there’s no suspense.

5. roadkill

Good for you guys but your preferences don’t change the fact that this guy is simply wrong. One of the cool things about Star Wars is that you can put any class of character anywhere and it will fit. So he’s either missing it or he simply doesn’t want a Jedi in his game. Which is cool, but.. I still don’t understand the point of lying and treating your customers like they have bantha podoo instead of brains.

6. manamana

They could have make a Republic Commando sequel/prequel.
    They could have make a Battlefront game.

Two great and appreciated IPs by far in the SW gaming universe. Why they are choosing to make Unleashed and now this is beyond me. The graphics looked nice, yes. But the cover shooting gameplay looks so overhauled and this gen.