Sony – our competitors “are losing the plot” with gamers

Thursday, 7th June 2012 17:23 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony’s head of digital games, Jack Buser, is of the opinion the firm’s console rivals “lost the plot,” during E3 as the event is more about showing great games than trying to “legitimize themselves in the non-game entertainment space.”

Speaking in an interview with VentureBeat, Buser felt Sony did a “very good job of drawing a solid line in the sand,” at E3, proving to the community that when it comes to entertainment, Sony is “for gamers.”

“We are for the gamer first and foremost,” he said. “Everything we do at PlayStation, we ask ourselves first, what’s right for the gamer? And at our press conference, we really stood up and put both our hands in the air and said, look, we are for gamers first and foremost. While some of our competitors, seemingly, are losing the plot, forgetting what built this industry. It was the gamer. We remain incredibly focused on the gamer, and our press conference really drove that home.

Buser said first-party titles such as Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls are just two examples of experiences gamers want, and are “pushing what a console game can be to the next level.” Anything not included as part of the gaming space, such as Netflix, Amazon Video and the like, are just an added bonus from a company gamers and those confident in Sony products receive as part of the PlayStation experience.

“It’s not yet another rehash of the same old thing, these are truly innovative, genre-breaking experiences that can only be found on PlayStation,” he said. “Everything we’re doing is for the gamer first and foremost, and I think that… I was proud to be a PlayStation employee at this E3.

“You will see other companies really spend a lot of time and energy trying to legitimize themselves in the non-game entertainment space, because it’s not part of their company’s DNA. Nor do customers trust that they can bring that type of entertainment to the living room or on the go. With the Sony brand behind a PlayStation, our customers intuitively know that non-game entertainment is a core part of our DNA.

“We’re seeing other companies spend a lot of time and energy trying to legitimize themselves in the space, and unfortunately what happens is they can very quickly lose the plot with gamers. That’s quite dangerous. That’s why we at PlayStation very much put the gamer first and foremost. We are interested in bringing the kinds of non-game entertainment to the PlayStation that our gamers expect to see. That’s why you see services like Hulu and Amazon Instant Video deploying on PlayStation 3 first.”

You can read the entire interview through the link.

[image]

1. mongbatstar

ruh-roh.

I’ve lost my parachute.

2. OrbitMonkey

Well this thread could get messy :-P

3. reask

^ most likely.

4. daytripper

I understand where he is coming from and it’s obviously another dig from them at Microsoft

5. ManuOtaku

I understand also, but this is not they way, i know they care about gamers, but they also did almost the same thing with vita, so if your house is made of glass, dont throw rocks at your neighbours house man

6. Sadismek

@2 Could get? I could predict Da Man’s appearance, followed by Gekidami counter-attack, all adorned by Jesus Raptor, LOLshock94, or whatever his name is and Erthazus. Perfect scenario for a disaster, or another 100+ comments news.

7. DLTDawnlight

You know what? He’s absolutely right.

Nintendo promised that they would finally appeal to the core audience at E3, and from what they presented, we did not get that. Instead, we were treated to casual software with the Wii U logo on it and multiplat games released months ago on other platforms. Pikmin and Mario were the only core titles shown at their press conference.

8. Christopher Jack

Someone has to start this, may as well be me. $ony fuckin’ sux an’ evry Phonybot iz ju3t a butthurt retrd! Microsoft rulz! Hal0 iz da bst, Phonybotz is just jellus!

9. G1GAHURTZ

Come back when you can sell enough *games* to actually make a profit, Buser!!!

/leaves.

10. DSB

Once someone makes a console that can actually compete with the Sega Genesis, I’ll start listening to what they say.

These are all just runners up argueing about who is less ugly and stupid.

Seriously though, the whole PR strategy with talking down the competition just to sell your own stuff is pretty sad. Who is going to listen to that sort of talk, apart from the Sony fanboys?

You already have those customers, dummy.

11. WFMMK

@9 Come back when you can put a coherent sentence together

Jokes aside I think Sony is right on both ends. Microsoft keeps giving us the same games while Nintendo keeps ignoring the core.

12. Gama_888

Other than trolling criticism theres not much to argue about. Its a pretty solid statement.
    M$ have clearly lost their way. No doubt. All you have to do is rewatch their E3 conference to prove that. Kinect & usher. Nuff said.

And i dont think ninty have announced propper AAA new Ip in a longg time.

13. YoungZer0

@9: What are you saying? The only good games are games that make a profit?

14. G1GAHURTZ

I’ve already left.

Fight amongst yourselves. I’ll watch, then come back and snipe every now and again…

15. Gadzooks!

Funny how those tossers at Sony changed their tune. They spent years selling the PS3 as a multimedia device.

In fact for a long time Youtube, their ‘browser’ and iPlayer were the main selling points.

Game sales on 360 and Wii still eclipse PS3 so this corporate dick obviously doesn’t know what the hell he’s talking about.

That’s Sony all over. Directionless, clueless, out of touch.

16. reask

Are MS getting lazy though?
    Fair question really when you look at + compared to live.

Could MS make the same mistake Sony made and get all cocky and expect the fanbase to just be happy they have the superior on line.

Just a thought as a ps360 owner.

17. YoungZer0

@15: Have you watched this years E3 at all?

18. Froseidon

Personally, I don’t think anyone at E3 did particularly good. Only the developers seem to have the right idea. Microsoft banged on about Smartglass, Sony about Playstation Mobile or whatever it is and Nintendo about Nintendo Land. I don’t think any of the main three are in any position to comment about any others presentations.

It’s also comments (from Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo) like this which sparks fanboy rage wars, which just shows how poor this community is. In truth, the rage is spawned by the companies themselves. Comments like this really lower my views of the company, no matter who they’re from.

19. G1GAHURTZ

And let’s not forget Steph, who knows exactly what she’s doing…

20. daytripper

@18 The community always has a choice, I don’t believe there are many fanboys here, perhaps a few who’s insensitivity comes racing to the surface at times but nothing on the scale of a N4G imo

21. polygem

@14: :D

22. manamana

I would say that Gadzooks! threw the first stone :-D

23. OrbitMonkey

^ He’d only blame Buser ;-)

24. TD_Monstrous69

Mr. Buser speaks the truth. The Last Of Us and Beyond: Two Souls are games that push boundaries of what exactly is possible out of a console game. Those projects are games Microsoft wouldn’t touch with a 10 foot pole, for they’re a company that [I believe\ doesn’t care that much about making games.

25. polygem

on the serious side: yea he kind of has a point. ms really seems to focus on social, and apps and whatnot, they still focus on getting good third party support though as well as getting some timed exclusive dlc deals (which i hate), and 1 or 3 full blown first party AAA´s. not enough for me. as a gamer.

26. fearmonkey

I hate to say it but he is absolutely right, and this is coming from an Xbox supporter who doesn’t own a PS3.

MS is focused on things that aren’t what we want for E3. This year we got a bunch of entertainment announcements and no surprises for games, a far cry from the days of Peter Moore with the Tattoos on his arm.
    Go to Major Nelson’s site and look at the comments for E3 related posts, hardly anyone has anything nice to say.

Jack Trenton is a GREAT spokesman for Sony. He acts comfortable, excited, and even when he had to appear during Sony’s most troubling times, he did ok. The wonderbook guy, not so much…..

E3 should be about the games, Sony did this better than anyone else at this years E3. MS had Usher, what the heck was that? A conference about games has a live music performance to support a sequel to a kinect dance game, how is that exciting?

Ms needs to stop with the kids acting to kinect, the focus on entertainment apps, the extra crap like Usher – Cirque Du Solei – hiring celebs to come to parties – etc.

Don Mattrick should not be on stage, they need someone who is comfortable without a teleprompter like Tretton or peter moore. Harrison should be able to help with that role, that will be surreal though watching him talk about a next gen Xbox next E3.

MS should also take note of the free games that Playstation plus offers. It’s a much better value than what we gold members get for our money.

27. polygem

@26: agreed

28. Froseidon

@24 – They only push the boundaries graphically in my opinion. Anyone can make a good story. To me, Alan Wake was amazing. I loved the story to that and the gameplay was also good.

Graphically, yeah, they kinda push the boundaries. Story / Gameplay wise, you can get that on every console. If gameplay and story are good, graphics kinda seem obsolete, as long as they’re as good as every other game, they do not need to push boundaries.

Also, doesn’t care about making games? (list coming up :P) I admit, Microsoft does not make games themselves, but they publish some awesome games.
    1. Halo series
    2. Gears of War series
    3. Fable (Mainly the first and possibly the second, to me, they have gon down hill)
    4. Mass Effect (the first of course, the other two were available on PS3)
    5. Crackdown (1&2)
    6. Forza is considered good (Not sure myself, never played them – Am aware PS3 has Gran Turismo, not played that either)
    7. Alan Wake

So yeah, I’d say they care just as much as Sony. They all care but this current E3 just seems more like a filler for me.

29. Golden

I’m with @26 all the way on this one. As a sole 360 owner I’m pretty sure I’ll be transferring over to playstation unless xbox dials back from there current approach. I just want to play a diverse range of games.

30. Sini

pc+ps3, best combo without a doubt.

31. polygem

360 was my main gaming platform this gen. always had a soft spot for sony ip´s though. had a ps1 and 2 back in the days (as well as many other gaming devices, but the sony and nintendo ones are probably my most played ones). some of the sony ip´s are among my most beloved games. if i had to choose one console right now i would definiteley just keep my ps3. (and then rent a 360 for halo 4!!!)
    atm i really cannot see a reason to keep the 360 other than for halo 4. i am a big halo fan so this is enough of a reason for me…but next gen i will really really look closely at ms´s console. with bungie now creating destiny and going multiplat with it i am not so sure if i will need another ms machine again.
    i wish sony will finally redesign the dualshock a bit next gen though.

32. majicship

I thought I’d be clever this year and watch the MS press conference via Xbox Live. Thanks, but I shan’t be bothereing with any further streaming services from MS and Xbox Live such as Netflix etc. I missed a good 15 minutes of it due to drop out.

Now that I have established myself as an Xbox console user I think Sony has a point. MS is moving away from ‘core’ gamers at a rate of knots, but I think this is because it wants to be firmly established as the ‘go to’ home entertainment system of choice. Sony ballsed up its PS3 launch with its ‘no backwards compatibility’ issue which left my family and its large collection of PS2 games firmly out in the cold. So we voted with our wallet and went down the MS route. Some 18 months further on and I am left wondering if I made the right choice. I don’t care for Halo nor Gears of War, and I don’t much like any of the other ‘exclusive’ titles either, and I don’t play online and neither do I really want motion control but it seems I can’t avoid it. Everybody is waiving their arms about these days it seems. I also don’t want to watch YouTube nor search the internet on my TV – I just want a console to be a games machine and not be a bloody PC, but it would seem that MS is hell bent on building the ultimate ‘home’ PC with Xbox. Yes, Sony did try to be a ‘home hub’ with PS3 and I think it has finally woken up to the fact that not every gamer wants a poxy bleedin’ Blue Ray player built into their console; they just want to shove in a game disc and lose themselves for a few hours. Oh, and why do I use a console and not a PC? Simple. It keeps the kids off my computer which I use for my work. I’d rather play games on my PC but I’d have a hard job not playing games on it all day long. I kicked that habbit along with Solier of Fortune 2 some ten years ago. I drank long and hard from that particular cup.

33. G1GAHURTZ

Don’t forget that MS and Sony are both very busy preparing for the next gen right now.

The reality of the situation is that this E3 came at a time when it wasn’t needed.

We probably only saw about 30-40% of what both companies have in the works, so there’s no need for tears or tantrums.

I’m sure that there are loads and loads of games on the way for the next gen consoles that they aren’t telling us about yet.

34. G1GAHURTZ

Having said that, obviously MSs next gen games will be better than Sony’s.

35. polygem

@34: i really hope they´ve learned their lesson. they are pretty succesfull saleswise with their bsinessmodel though, so i don´t know if they really wanna focus on unique first party gaming experiences that much. if ms really wants to shine and surprise with their next gen console, they have to launch it with some outstanding and brandnew first party AAA ip´s. that would surprise me, but could convince me too. it´s not too hard to win me over. it just needs awesome games.

36. daytripper

@35 I think they will go out more to attain 3rd party exclusive new ips like the 360 did in its earlier life span like Mass Effect, Dead Rising 1 etc. The Xbox World mag guys are pretty good at attaining sources for solid news, such as Ryse development, Forza Horizon and Gears spin off. They are adamant the next box will see a lot of exclusive games alongside a box with a lot of power so we shall see.

37. OlderGamer

Well said Fearmonkey.

If I had to recomend a current gen system for someone to buy that doesn’t yet own one. It would be a PS3. Great exclusives, all of the multiplats, no required online fees(through I would recomend PSN+ because of the games included), Netflix, BluRay, rechargable controlers/cords(no “kits” needed), and more.

It is a quality system, a very solid value at thos point.

Next gen? No clue at this point.

But I like Sonys focus on games.

38. Kuwabara

Bravo John Buser! I’ve been saying the same thing for too long. The wii, nintendo have lost the plot, nothing like the glory days of nintendo. You gotta wait 4 years for a game like zelda to pop up. Besides mario again and again. Xbox 360, seriously anything other than shooter, gears and halo??, kinect, kiniect amd xbox live features, LOL, seriously what do you expect from Microsoft when all they care about is money! hell why bother investing in exclusives other than one month early call of duty when a game like halo can sell millions. What do you expect from microsoft when a douche like “DON MATTRICK” running the show.Lol who doesn’t just want to punch his face when he walks onto stage looking the way he does. He doesn’t know anything about real gaming. Sony is the only company that caters %100 to the core and casuals. How many quality exclusives does sony have to keep shipping out for people to realise that??!