Molyneux to offer £50,000 DLC with Curosity

Thursday, 7th June 2012 14:29 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Peter Molyneux’s told New Scientist 22 Cans’ first game Curosity will have DLC priced at £50,000.

The iOS and PC title, unveiled earlier this week, lets players pick away with chisels at a black cube with a prize lying inside the cube for the first person to get at it.

New chisels can be bought as DLC from 59p to a diamond chisel for £50,000 that is 100,000 times more powerful than the bog standard chisel

Molyneux says this is not not an attempt to make a profit from it.

“It’s an insane amount of money,” he said. “This is not a money-making exercise; it is a test about the psychology of monetisation.”

Molyneux’s thinking behind the experiment it is to “record and study how news of what’s inside spreads across social media in an attempt to explore the psychology of social media users. We will rely entirely on social media.”

The results of Curosity will form part of 22 Cans’ next game in two years time. Curosity launches in a few weeks time for iOS and PC.

1. Erthazus

Molyneux is nuts.

2. Vastluck

I remember that particular ‘thing’ being called ‘irony’. Still, not sure which one it was… perhaps sarcasm, kids above?

3. viralshag

“Those are the best stories I can tell him – better than Harry Potter, better than anything else because they pull his life into the story.”

This is what Peter doesn’t seem to get about gaming any more. I don’t need everything to relate to me and my life and what happens in it because I was there, I live in real life. I game to see something interesting and different and do things I couldn’t do, like fight dragons and be a future soldier.

Not run around having to “work” by playing a lute and making pies for fuck sake because “working” is something we have to do and it isn’t “realistic” for money to drop out the arse of a dead hobbe.

4. mojo

5: excellent!

5. freedoms_stain

Wonder what the prize could be.

Worth £50 grand?

6. sasanjfr

I just signed in to give my thumbs up to viralshag and Jesus Raptor.You’re the king.God bless you two:D

7. TheWulf

It’s not April 1st…

But it must be April 1st…

/leaves thread

8. ejams

Makes item worth 50,000, says he didn’t do it for the mon- HAHAHA what? Unless it really is worth that much in reality and it isn’t something completely stupid, this guy is bollocks. If it really was for the psychological aspect, why didn’t he start with something more reasonable but still astoundingly expensive for a random item, like maybe $5000?

9. sh4dow

Considering how much hot air this douchebag has spread over the years, I wouldn’t be surprised if that was all that was in that thing.
    On the other hand… if the “prize” was to meet him in person and be able to punch him…