No 2012 launch for The Last of Us, confirms Yoshida

Wednesday, 6th June 2012 08:11 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida has killed off any chance of a 2012 launch for The Last of Us, telling VG247 it won’t launch this year.

Yoshida confirmed the news when talking about the company’s line-up for next year, confirming the near-future focus was providing growth and investing respectively in PlayStation Vita.

“We are not ready to talk about 2013. But some of the games we showed like God of War and The Last of Us are not coming out this year,” he said in an E3 interview due to go live shortly.

“We will talk more about what our line-up of games will be like in 2013. PS Vita we just launched. It’s been just four months.

“It’s its second year next year; it’s a really crucial year for us so we will continue to invest in making games from our first party studio standpoint, and at the same time, we would like to see more publishers do games like Assassin’s Creed III Liberation; that is fantastic.”

This is the first time a release date for the game has been narrowed by either Sony or Naughty Dog down since its announce at the VGAs last December. An early 2012 or early 2013 release had been previously on the cards for the new IP from the Uncharted developer.

Watch the stunning E3 demo of TLOU here. The full Yoshida interview goes live soon.

1. HauntaVirus

That’s a shame it won’t be out this year, take as much time as you need though. It’s looking really good although a bit similar to uncharted. Someone could almost say that’s old Drake and his Daughter, and honestly there’s nothing wrong with that…just thought I’d point it out.

2. Dimaco

Well, then, 2013 is going to be a hell of a year on PS3: this, Beyond, Ni no Kuni, Bioshock Infinite, Gta V, The last Guardian… Need to say more?!? A perfect transition to the next gen! Wallet’s already begging for mercy!

3. Maximum Payne

I liked E3 demo , but how much was it script ? Can you pass them without alert ? Can you do it in stealth way ?

4. loveaya

There are already so many interesting games in this year, so i don’t really care about the launch date of TLOU.

5. Gekidami

“You could have actually skipped all of these people”

6. polygem

that´s totally fine with me. there will be lots of games this fall/winter. more than i can play. halo 4 will suck up lots of my gaming time alone. i hope for a q1 13 release though…this game is a must play for me.

7. OrbitMonkey

@2, Last Gaurdian for 2013? *optimistic*

8. Erthazus

I was not impressed at all to be honest.

Uncharted – slow – scripted edition. Of course the thing that surprised me that there will be no regeneration. However, there will be inventory, hell yeah. Now that’s cool.

but that was just like Uncharted… Dunno really.

9. Beta

A non-regenerating health system, a crafting system, freedom in how you deal with enemies (guns blazing, silent takedowns or avoiding them all together)

I mean I really love Uncharted, but I felt like the team were losing interest in the IP. This already feels less focused on the big set pieces of the Uncharted series, and more focused on smaller scale personal conflict and survival which I think is a good thing.

10. speedxl01

Hideo Kojima and Atsushi Inaba Approve of The Last of Us

Said Kojima: “‘The Last of Us’ was, of course, amazing. The first time I’ve wanted to play a game in a while.” In a subsequent Tweet, he added “As a creator, The Last of Us demo crossed beyond envy and brought me delight. It brought out the desire to create again. Thank you.”

Wrote Inaba: “I have no idea how it’s being controlled, but this expression for something interactive is absolutely amazing! Naughty Dog is too amazing!

All other comments overridden! sorry, hehe.