Kojima working on new series of games based on human issues

Wednesday, 6th June 2012 09:16 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Hideo Kojima has told CVG he’s working on a brand new set of games that focus on human issues, such as the concept of love or raising a family.

It isn’t clear if the new series is related to Project Ogre or something else entirely, though. He did say, however, the issues raised in this new series would be different to those in Metal Gear Solid.

“There are a lot of real world issues I want to address, but the reason I kept making the MGS saga and its sequels is that it allowed me to explore my ideas,” the MGS creator said in an E3 interview.

“But now I’m starting a new series, focusing on new set of issues. It’ll probably be different to what MGS addressed. Of course, I’m turning 50 now, so if I’m going to approach new topics, it might be something more on a human level, like the concept of love, or rearing a family, things of that nature.”

Kojima is working away on Project Ogre, his first fully-fledged game since Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker. He noted previously the game would have a taboo subject. Talking with CVG, the subject will be included to tell a story, not take on a pressing issue.

“I’m not going out of my way to tackle a taboo subject. It’s just that to tell the story I want to tell I may have to cross that bridge. I’m not doing it just to tackle an issue.”

1. loveaya

Hideo Kojima is one of the japanese developper who could change the video game industry.

Maybe he is tired of creating MGS so we could wait for his new IP.

2. voxelman

@1 Kojima has been saying he wants to get away from the MGS series since MGS on the PS1.

Unfortunately for him they are pretty much the only Konami blockbuster series so they keep making him make more.

3. OrbitMonkey

Oh joy, Mr Miserable wants to do some more navel gazing… Cue half hour cut-scenes where your character spouts waffle after every five minutes of gameplay :|

Still if the fanboys get restless he can always chuck out some more HD remakes of his back catalogue to keep them sweet.

4. loveaya

@2, i know that well.

Before MGS was KONAMI’s hope. Now as KONAMI has decided to developpe more social games and IOS games so maybe Hideo Kojima’s titls are not ever as important as before.

That’s why Hideo Kojima could finally create a new IP.

5. Joe Musashi

Human issues? What’s the odds those issues involve nanomachines?

JM

6. osric90

Be more respectful to GOD. Kojima will change the world if he didn’t and the MGS series is a more powerful product than the Bible itself. If the whole world would be able to explore it as a piece of art and history, everything would be different. So bye and good luck. In Kojima we trust.

7. speedxl01

He Said: “‘The Last of Us’ was, of course, amazing. The first time I’ve wanted to play a game in a while.” In a subsequent Tweet, he added “As a creator, The Last of Us demo crossed beyond envy and brought me delight. It brought out the desire to create again. Thank you.”

So it seems he really want to explore more human issues..