E3 2012: Wii U conf confirms Mass Effect 3, Pikmin 3

Tuesday, 5th June 2012 11:46 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Nintendo has given a first look at Pikmin 3 on Wii U, as well as confirming a unique Batman: Arkham City version and a version of Mass Effect 3.

Wii U E3 2012 – at a glance

Nintendo didn’t date or price Wii U, but a “holiday” release was reaffirmed.

Pikmin 3 announced. Gameplay was shown, but there was no date.

Super Mario Bros U announced. It’s HD, 2D and supports four players. Again, there was no date.

Batman Arkham City Armored Edition announced. This has unique features via the GamePad. No date.

Darksiders II, Mass Effect 3, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, a director’s cut of Trine 3, Ninja Gaiden 3 and Aliens: Colonial Marines all confirmed for Wii U.

Ubisoft confirmed support with ZombiU, Assassin’s Creed III, a Rabbids game, Rayman Legends, Sports Connection, Avengers and fitness game YourShape.

SiNG a karaoke game, is coming to Wii U from UK dev FreeStyle.

Wii Fit U was announced and shown.

Nintendo’s main Wii U software conference opened with a video including a crowd pikmin in Miyamoto’s dressing room. He walked straight out on stage to say he was going to talk about the game. In Pikmin 3, you have to manage a swarm of 100 pikmin. The spaceman from the previous games was included in gameplay, and the HD graphics packed depth of field and plenty of detail.

Rock pikmin, a new type, were shown. Motion controls will be involved in aiming. An overall map will be shown on Wii U’s GamePad while play is happening on the screen. A Challenge mode, where you need to collect fruit within a specific timeframe, will be on display at E3 this week.

NoA head Reggie Fils-Aime walked out to raucous cheers. He said Nintendo opened with Pikmin because Wii U is “all about the games”. He said 23 games would be shown in the presentation, and mentioned the concept of “asymmetric gameplay,” with multiple players on various screens in the same game consuming different content.

Wii U does three things, he said: it changes your gaming, the way you interact with your gaming friends, and it changes the way it interact with your TV. Netflix, Hulu, YouTube and Amazon Video logos were all shown on the screen, but he said they just wanted to talk about games today.

He confirmed that Wii U will support two separate pads. There won’t be any dual-pad games on display at E3 this week, however.

The GamePad can be used with either a finger or its stylus. It has rumble, as well as stereo speakers, a headphone jack, a home button, a camera, triggers and more.

Social system Miiverse was next. Reggie said to think of the system as “Main Street,” where Miis congregate to “cause a commotion”. Miis flooded onto the screen and crowded around tiles, such as those for Mario and Donkey Kong.

You can interact between Miis on the screen using speech bubbles and drawn pictures from the pad. Miiverse will be accessible across other devices, such as mobile and PC, at a later date.

It’s-a-me. Again.

New Super Mario Bros U was announced. Reggie talked up how Miiverse will work with the game, showing a map dotted with friends’ messages.

The game itself is a four-player, 2D Mario in HD. It can be played either on your TV or GamePad. There was no date.

Batman Arkham City Armored Edition was announced. Martin Tremblay from Warner Bros. said the game will deliver content in a “new special way”. The game was shown, with features specific to the GamePad. You can guide projectiles with the screen, and other exclusive content was promised.

B-A-T mode was confirmed, which provides power-ups through the GamePad screen. The screen is also used as an inventory select system. Explosives were set off via the Pad screen. Warner described it as “the most immersive Batman experience”.

Scribblenauts is coming to Wii U in the form of Scribblenauts Unlimited. It’s in HD and features free-roaming in 2D. You create objects on the screen and are able to drop them into the game, share them with friends and more. It has a multiplayer mode.

A sizzle reel was shown, confirming Darksiders II, Mass Effect 3, Namco’s Tank Tank Tank, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, a director’s cut of Trine 3, Ninja Gaiden 3 and Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Reggie moved on to Wii Fit. More than 43 million copies have been sold, he said, before confirming Wii Fit U.

The game was shown, a woman doing activities on the Balance Board with the GamePad on the floor in front of her. She also used a handheld device – a “Fit Meter” – to upload a run she did that morning to the GamePad.

Reggie announced SiNG from UK dev FreeStyle. The GamePad displays lyrics so you can face your friends while performing and everyone can dance along.

3DS came next. Nintendo’s Scott Moffitt announced a 3DS conference tomorrow night at 6.00pm PST. It’s an hour long and completely dedicated to the handheld. It’ll be at e3.nintendo.com.

Super Mario Bros. 2 for 3DS was shown, however. Gold plays a key role in the game, which even includes a gold Mario. It out in the US on August 19.

Paper Mario Sticker Star was seen. You collect stickers and they become battle commands, such as shoes for stomping and hammers for bashing. It’s out this holiday.

Luigi’s Mansion 2 was the last 3DS title to be shown. Again, it’s out this holiday, new ghosts and all. You’ll see more tomorrow night.

A third-party 3DS sizzle reel showed Castlevania, Epic Mickey, Scribblenauts and Kingdom Hearts 3D.

Lego City

Reggie came back on to talk about Wii U’s Lego City. Gameplay showed crimes being fought using the GamePad, with the screen showing enemies through walls when pointed at the TV. It’s being made by TellTale. A portable version is in the works for 3DS.

Wii U, Reggie said, needs to provide something from the “hardest of the core to the newest of the newbies,” before Yves Guillemot, Ubisoft president, came out on stage. He said he thought Wii U is a “revolution”. Just Dance 4 was the first Ubi game shown, with Reggie directing four dancers with the GamePad.

ZombiU was next. The screen acted as a radar, inventory, X-ray vision, a sniper scope, a waggle device for breaking free from enemies and a hacking device. You can even put your own face onto zombies in the game.

Assassin’s Creed III was shown in a sizzle reel, as was a Rabbids game, Rayman Legends, Sports Connection, Avengers and fitness game YourShape.

Reggie wrapped it up with something called Nintendo Land, which is designed to help people “get” the console. Katsuya Eguchi, Wii U software producer, came out to explain how Nintendo has put beloved Nintendo franchises into a theme park, which is a game including 12 games. Five are at the show. Zelda, Animal Crossing, Luigi’s Ghost Mansion, Donkey Kong and Takamaru will be at E3 this week.

Nintendo Land will launch alongside the hardware this Christmas.

You can get full coverage on the Sony, Microsoft, EA and Ubisoft conferences here.

1. Maxie1992

Damn, that is 2 o’clock in the morning here in The Netherlands. Too bad.

2. Patrick Garratt

Nah, man. It’s 6pm. Same for me here in France.

3. Pytox

@1 No, that’s 6PM In Netherlands, it’s CEST time over here … :D

4. loveaya

I won’t watch it because every year full of Mario, Zelda and other nintendo games.

5. SLARTIBAF1

@4 Funny, thats exactly why i’m gonna watch it =)
    Plus the proper unveiling of the WiiU. I’m so hyped and hope this time Ninty won’t disappoint me like they did with the Wii. But what we’ve seen so far seems pretty neat! Most of all the Pro Controller with the right stick in the proper position for ergonomic 2-stick-controlls. I love Nintendo for always experimenting with new Controllers and so far they pretty much get it right in every generation.
    Only flaw could and will be the online connectivity and community features. Although they seem to be on a good way with the Miiverse.

6. OlderGamer

Looking forward to it, to say the least. New hardware = new possibilities. And at this point, I could really use something new(that isn’t a PC game) to get excited about. I want to see what can be done with the main wiiu controler.

On a side note, anything out Sega? They have PSO2 launching this year for PC(and I think Vita), wanted some info on that.

7. Da Man

Simply amazing. I look forward to playing Mario 58, Zelda 87 and a braintraining video game on an Xbox 360 with an inferior gamepad clone.

8. ManuOtaku

#7 All that 58 mario games and 87 zelda games are so different at its core, that each game is a world of each own, i will get them till the 2.000 iteration each, just like uncharted, god of war, gears of war, halo,although this games are almost the same, but it doesnt matter i do like them too.

9. Da Man

Yeah right.

10. Moonwalker1982

This is the time to do something big Nintendo. A new 2D Mario ain’t gonna cut it. I was hoping for a brand new 3D Mario, but that ain’t gonna happen. But some great third party support with exclusives…that would be really good. Hopefully we’ll see what Retro Studios has been up to.

11. G1GAHURTZ

What? Are people seriously expecting any surprises, since the pre-presser, from Nintendo??

Weren’t they watching E3 the year before…

…and the year before…

…and the year before…?

Hyping yourselves up for a let-down.

12. Maxie1992

#2/#3

Oow that is a relief. I could not take another night of watching those press conferences.

Thanks

13. ManuOtaku

#11 for me those E3 werent a let down especially 2010, maybe the best year of nintendo anouncements regarding wii games, i think this time it will be the same.

14. Moonwalker1982

Come on, that pre-E3 presses doesn’t mean anything. I’m not saying i’m expecting big surprises, but they have a brand new console to show to the world, for me to buy it…they must show some damn interesting games,that don’t come out on the current consoles already.

15. polygem

“@4 Funny, thats exactly why i’m gonna watch it =)”

hehe, same here. wont be home though. will watch tonite, as soon as i can. can´t wait. i hope for at least ONE exciting show this e3…please .

16. poketrainer

I can’t wait. In other news it looks like Mass Effect may be heading to the Wii U

17. Patrick Garratt

Sorry. Added in the link to the streaming video.

18. Patrick Garratt

I’ll be very annoyed if I don’t see someone shot in the face or stabbed in the neck.

19. Dragon246

@16,
    Yeah Mass Effect, the game which released 3 whole months ago on ps3 and xbox 360 right?

On a side note, looks like vg247 source for sony cloud gaming deal was a dud. Gaikai has announced partnership with samsung.

20. Patrick Garratt

I’ve seen FIFA and CoD mentioned as well.

21. Patrick Garratt

I’ve added a stream there.

22. Gama_888

Is there any way to watch this on android?? (galaxy s2)
    Am currently at euston train station without my laptop :/

23. fearmonkey

I want Nintendo to give me a reason to want a Wii-u, so far I’m not that interested. I didn’t buy a Wii as I didn’t want a low res console. Since the Wii-u is HD, I’m possibly up for it.
    Give me a Super Mario World 3D HD style game and I’m far more into it..

24. ManuOtaku

Darn it, iam at work cannot access any internet page to see it, it doesnt allow me to display, darn security meassures at work T_T

25. OlderGamer

Loving pikman

26. ManuOtaku

OG is pikmin, but yeah i love it too, at for the information i have just read, looks great indeed, cannot wait, this is the only reason for me to get the WiiU, everything else will be icing to the cake, really.

27. polygem

i just came home…pikmin…what…the video aint working…freakout….

28. Ireland Michael

I want this for Scribblenauts alone. Fuck yeah!

29. Patrick Garratt

That was nearly amazing.

30. Freek

That’s awfully polite way of saying: most boring thing ever putt on stage.

31. xino

WHAT A LOAD OF HORSE SH*!
    Seriously!
    WTF IS THIS SH*!? MAN!

*no release date
    *no price point!
    *no Metroid
    *no zelda
    *no console tech spec

WTF is going on!?
    i’m so freaking pissed off!!!

when he said he was gonna show 23 games I was like, YES this is what E3 is all about.

but seriously, they only demoed like 1 game on stage!
    the rest were video recorded and walkthrough.

this is worst E3 show man, even Microsoft was better than this trash.

why are they saving all the good stuff for TGS 2012???

23 games to show when half of them were montages….you’ve got to be sh**ing me!

32. Dragon246

Nothing new at E3 Nintendo conference . Rehashes of games released months earlier and NO system seller.

33. daytripper

Dont want to argue with anyone but for me apart from Zombie U (mild interest) I felt that was absolute shit. No way would I pay £250 for that.

34. Sini

worse of the 3 conferences

35. Ireland Michael

No specs. Best thing about the whole conference.

That was great. Can’t wait to see the future potential of the Game Pad.

36. Gekidami

Is it over? Didnt watch it myself, but scrolling down the front page, i’m seeing the names of a lot of games i already played some time ago, and the name “Mario” all over the place.

37. G1GAHURTZ

Terrible conference.

One of the worst I’ve ever seen.

38. Razor

WHAT WAS THAT

WHAT WAS THAT

For a system coming out this year, that conference was terrible.

39. Ireland Michael

@37 Of course you didn’t like it. It was almost completely devoid of violence, cars and guns.

40. Froseidon

Wow people are getting so worked up over this apparently poor conference. It was a conference, it did what it set out to do, deal with it. If the conference does what it set out to do, it is a success to the company. Nintendo didn’t want to reveal specs, so they didn’t. Nintendo wanted to talk about software, they did. That is a win in Nintendo’s books.

Also, they said more talk about the Wii U was coming on e3.nintendo.com tomorrow. Can’t you wait that long? Oh sorry, stupid question I know.

41. manamana

Is a new 3DS coming or not? Will it be tomorrow, then?

42. Patrick Garratt

I think the hardware looks brilliant, but there was just so little content when you look at it from a distance. Alarm bells.

43. G1GAHURTZ

@39:

Try harder, kid.

44. OlderGamer

Could have been stronger, but wasn’t bad at all. Lest they showed games that I would actualy want to play.

I don’t think your going to see Nintendo tout system tech stats. It isn’t about gigles or jigles whats its and does its. To Nintendo it is about the games and the experience of playing them. Don’t need a super computer to do that.

The games were in sharp HD. I thought they looked nice. I liked the Controler. I liked that two pads per system could be used. I had a strong interest in a couple of the games they did show off.

A strong Nintendo first party line up and a stream of ported PS360 games. If I am being honest, that is enough for me, and prolly a lot of people to be happy. What bothers me is the guestimated price tag. near 400usd is too high. But I have never seen a system to launch with a number like 380usd. 399.99usd would be more believable. 300usd makes more sense. If it is 400usd they will have trouble.

Not because it is an under powered blagh blagh, but becauee moving any hardware at 400usd will be tough. Wait for MS/Sony pricing. I am guessing 400usd would be conservitive. Time will tell. But yeah the rumoured price is too high.

Was looking for a solid price point and a release date.

Guess we have to keep waiting and watching.

45. xino

i was even expecting them to show Metroid, Zeld or even Smash at the end of the show…but they showed a FARKING fireworks!

you’ve got to be sh**ing me!

46. Dragon246

@40,
    Win for nintendo -Yes
    Translating into sales- No

E3 BIG 3 Results
    1.Sony (Beyond, last of us)
    2.Nintendo (pikmin3)
    3.Microsoft (Smartglass, Gears of War)

47. Ireland Michael

@44 Pikmin looks awesome.

My sons will be all over Scribblenauts…. If they can get it out of my hands first.

48. Fin

Big load of nothin’. Pikmin and Super Mario Bros for Wii U, they’re all the first party titles they showed (fuck off Wii Fit).
    Two first party titles, maybe two original third party titles, and a load of year-old ports? Count me out.

At least MS and Sony have an excuse – that they’re working on next gen.

49. dreamcastnews

Oh my god, you can rely on VG247 dwellers to take a stab at Nintendo! Most of the negativity comes from comments days earlier condemning the thing from the get go anyway… Why Nintendo is even trying to win over this type of gamer is beyond me!

I have a Wii, I like it; I have a 360 and PS3 also, I’ll be buying a Wii U.

If you don’t own a Wii/haven’t used yours for like, two years/sold it then this clearly isn’t for you – it’s THAT simple.

50. OlderGamer

Dreamcastnews +1

51. Razor

“At least MS and Sony have an excuse”

I don’t think Sony have an excuse, unless they’re purposefully sending Vita to die.

52. manamana

49 +1

53. ManuOtaku

I like it so far, pikmin, scribblenauts, the new mario game, the lego game, nintendo land, and the toping on the cake is the IP with platinum, for me was good, and the ubisoft new ips on the wii, i think it was good al around.

On the 3DS side of things cannot wait for Luigis mansion 2 and paper mario.

54. The_Red

Pikmin 3
    Scribblenauts Unlimited

The rest = Holy hell that was one boring game. I didn’t think it was going to be more boring than MS or Sony conferences but Nintendo did it. They had only 2 small great games followed by 49 minutes of boring.
    Reggie was awesome though. My body is ready!

55. Froseidon

@49 – It is truly a poor community when they make everything into a competition. E3 is about the companies showing off all their hard work, and all gamers can do is say “but its shit compared to this, my opinion is best, this console is best because I say so, fuck you”. I feel I have said this before, but it is a case of small brain syndrome if you ask me.

No one is open to other companies as they so zealous about what they have and don’t want to feel like their money could have been spent elsewhere.

All consoles have their strengths and weaknesses, but owners of that specific console never see the weaknesses. I believe the term is Illusory Superiority. It is truly pathetic when you cannot admire something in something else just because you think what you have is better.

Not turning this into a religious debate, but it is exactly the same. One religion believes that all other religions are wrong. (P.S – I am not religious, and I am truly sorry if this has offended anybody, but I needed something to relate it to, and this was the closest thing I thought of). It is exactly the same for consoles, just because they don’t like it, it is wrong.

This is a poor example of a community and I don’t want to be part of it, but unfortunately, I am.

56. Erthazus

That was so horrible that i don’t know where to start.

Pikmin 3 and maybe scribblenauts was amazing, but beyond that.. ugh..

57. dreamcastnews

@55, that’s the sort of agnostic view I expect from folk who have a strong passion from videogames – not the stupid half-baked commenters who leap on everything Nintendo does, I don’t understand the mentality of those who post Nintendo-negativity on Nintendo specific reports! Surely it’d be better to take ones high horse off to the nearest PS3/Xbox news nugget and let like-minded gamers know such valuable information.

@56 – I’m thinking you weren’t buying one to begin with anyway? You’re a priority PC gamer, right?

58. ManuOtaku

#55 at least is not that bad, nintendo unites the sony and microsoft lovers, both hate camps hate nintendo with a pasion and they forget all their differences while attacking nintendo, that is a great sight in my eyes, thats something only nintendo can do, really.

On a serious note i will say i agree with you and i will like to add that is true when you indicated that “All consoles have their strengths and weaknesses”, and most of the time the brand lovers focuses on the weaknesses of the other consoles without looking their strenghts, and without looking their weaknesses either, but i think at the end life find its balance, because as you will see every manufacturer has its share of defenders and detractors, and at the end it finds balance, altough the nintendo group is the smallest, but is the least mind blinded, iam speaking regarding the vg247 community of course.

59. G1GAHURTZ

What made it worse was when they took about 10 minutes to try and explain the Luigi’s Mansion section of Nintendo Land.

If it takes that long to explain, it’s probably not a good idea.

60. G1GAHURTZ

@57:

Actually, I used to be a 100% Nintendo gamer. The first console I ever owned was a Gameboy. Then I got a NES, then a SNES, (then a Playstation) then an N64, (then a PS2) then a GameCube.

I’ve bought 2 DS Lites and a Wii in recent years, as well as a whole load of games for them.

I’m more than entitled to point out Nintendo’s flaws if I so choose, thanks.

61. dreamcastnews

@59 I totally agree, Nintendo World was far too dragged out…. I would have preferred a focus on Aliens, Darksiders II etc….

62. dreamcastnews

@60 okay then, I see ‘used to’ there so could you clear up where you stand now, then.

thanks.

63. G1GAHURTZ

huh?

64. Erthazus

@dreamcastnews, Yes, i’m a PC Gamer but i have consoles too. I like that they have a bit different experience but what was shown so far is piss poor to be honest.

Pikmin 3 is great, but really nothing special beyond that. Cheers.

65. dreamcastnews

As in, your views on Nintendo; you appear to have taken a little umbrage to something I have said taking this into consideration :

‘I’m more than entitled to point out Nintendo’s flaws if I so choose, thanks.’

to which I never said anyone wasn’t, I was simply pointing out the clear dislike of Nintendo from a scary statistic of users on VG247; not necessarily naming anyone. So, I’d just like to know a little more about where you stand with Nintendo, if I may?

66. G1GAHURTZ

Oh, right.

Well basically, I got fed up of Nintendo under delivering.

it started with the GameCube and it’s gone downhill ever since.

I’m still waiting for them to sort themselves out and get back to where they were when I couldn’t put their controllers down.

67. dreamcastnews

@64 I feel I’m traditional in the sense, I’d always want the PC to offer graphics/gameplay that consoles never could… The PC if used for games is the ‘serious’ gamers option considering the costs involved in comparisons to console hardware, as such I don’t believe the Wii-U will capture that audience.

68. dreamcastnews

@66 you didn’t like the Gamecube? I always thought that was an awesome machine for Nintendo-exclusive turnout…. But looking at it now, the Wii-U could end up being just like the Gamecube… I see your logic now.

69. fearmonkey

Nintendo showed nothing that makes me HAVE to buy a Wii-u, and I wanted that, so I am disapoint.

Pikimin looked interesting, Zombie-u was the only title that I thought looked really good, but those are not reasons to buy a new console.

@dreamcastnews – My Problem with Nintendo is that they have disappointed me after the SNES. Nintendo 64 used expensive cartridges, so i bought a Playstation, gamecube looked Kiddie and I hated the look of it and didnt care for the controller, Wii was all about family games and motion controls. I loved my Dreamcast and it was family friendly but also had adult core games, I guess I wanted a Dreamcast like experience for the Wii-u, especially since the Wii-u is like a very enhanced VMU Dreamcast controller. The Wii-u is essentially what i could have seen the Dreamcast 2 or 3 become. Nothing at the Launch makes me WANT to buy a Wii-u, and I wanted to have a reason….

70. daytripper

I think the word hate is used far too much when it comes to someones negative opinion, the SNES is my favourite system of all time, loved it and still do, it had everything going for it for my tastes. the wii however I sold after a couple of years, there was nothing much enjoyable on it and I wasnt feeling todays Wii U showing either, doesnt make me hate something or someone just for the sake it, I find them sort of claims ridiculous and deliberately over the top in some cases just to try and belittle that persons opinion.

71. ManuOtaku

The gamecube was a great machine, with a great catalog of games, i had great third party games like resident evil 4 (the best iteration),killer 7, baten kaitos, viewtiful joe, etc, of course it was not as prolific as the ps2, but the quantity it did have was top quality IMHO, and i forgot to mention a great controller with great triggers, man i did love those triggers.

72. OlderGamer

Walking into a dedicated web site that caters to the “core” demographics is like walking into a Goth bar. Stay long enough and you can get to thinking that their points of view and ways of thinking, their likes and dislikes represent everyone. You may even wonder what the hell is wrong with yourself if you’re different.

The facts don’t change, prolly why so many people on sites like this spend so much time trying to convince other people that they have it figured out. But the fact is that the game buying public is a lot more diverse then what is most often seen here. For all of the noise and attention it gets, Halo was out sold by Mario Kart, this gen, for example.

Meaning that while everyone is entitled to their opinion and their ways of doing things, this site and the people here are just a small slice of the over all pie. And really, as time marches forward that core demographic begins to fade and blend in, becoming harder and harder to spot. And becoming less and less important.

The industry follows the money trail. The industry doesn’t care about what one shrinking demographic thinks is cool or uncool. The industry cares about sales. I think some people on sites like this feel threatend by that. Perhaps, they think, if they make enough noise and rage enough about the new Nintendo system, then WiiU games won’t exclipse what they enjoy again this generation(like Wii sales did last gen).

73. daytripper

@71 Yep, I remember coming home with my new black gamecube and playing the star wars x-wing game for the first time, blown away. love that console, was disappointed in the poor starfox games released for it though.

74. Ireland Michael

@55 Well said.

75. G1GAHURTZ

Let me put it another way…

Was Mario Sunshine better than Mario 64?

Was Wind Waker better than OoT?

Were any of the Timesplitters games better than GoldenEye?

There’s your answer.

76. ManuOtaku

#75 I dont know if they are or were better, thats a very subjective matter, but i like them as much as i did those you did mentioned, at least they were very different they were very disruptive, at least for what people did expected for mario sunshine and Wind Waker, and for me was for the better.

#73 the rare star fox adventures was good, not a traditional star fox game or what the people was waiting, but for the type of game was good IMHO, although i hope with the Wii U we will be getting a proper star fox game.

77. Da Man

Sigh.

Also, #55 great analogy there brah.. people debating over decisions their life depends on and people debating about videogames bought at the store.

78. ManuOtaku

#77 Double Sigh

79. TraceableX

Welcome to 2006/2007 Nintendo.

80. TraceableX

Welcome to 2006/7 Nintendo.

81. Froseidon

I’m glad people agree with my post (#55) :D Makes me happy to see like minded people.

I’ve owned and sold my Nintendo Wii (reason being, I was more a core gamer than a casual one). I still have a DS, and am looking into the 3DS. With more core games on the Wii U, it might have moved up higher in my expectations, I just feel it needs that little more third party, better on day release games.

I’ve never owned or played a PS3, but I have played a PSP. Considering a PS Vita. I don’t hate Sony, but I have never gone for them, I had an Xbox before and didn’t see the point of having both. I can only play one console at a time and I just preferred the exclusives of the 360 at the time (considering I loved Halo and Halo 2) and Mass Effecr 1 was an exclusive as well (by god I love Mass Effect. All 3 games, all books bar the last one [which I here is being re-written due to plot errors] and even a bloody art book).

Overall, I cannot see the need for hate amongst consoles. I bet 80% – 90% of 360 / PS3 owner’s games are multiplat anyways. Which, the only thing that is left for this is to go where your friends are. No point having a console and being alone on it. The £30 a year for Xbox live does not bother me. PS Plus seems alright for the money as well (although I have recently been told that if you stop subscribing, the games you get are taken away from you) but the overall network is free anyways, so who is to complain?

In conclusion, all consoles are good, it just depends on preferences. Your preferences do not make one console better than the other. There is just little to no respect in this community anymore it seems.

Edit: @77 – If you’re getting at the religion thing, I’m sorry, it was all I could think of at the time. Also, their life does not depend on it, they could quite easily live without it. I have managed to live my entire life quite happily not thinking of some big people in the sky. I went to a school where prayers had to be done, and it just didn’t do anything for me. Nothing in it seemed real, which is the reason I am more Agnostic-Atheist instead of a Theist.

82. Ireland Michael

“Was Mario Sunshine better than Mario 64?”

No, but Galaxy was a vast improvement on both.

“Was Wind Waker better than OoT?”

Vastly. It had a more detailed story, better controls, and a brilliant aesthetic that really set it apart from the rest of the franchise.

“Were any of the Timesplitters games better than GoldenEye?”

Easily. GoldenEye was so fondly remembered because of its split-screen multiplayer, but it’s overall construction was pretty godawful, and it was a poor shooter even for its time.

“The next console is supposed to be better than the previous one, but as far as core gamers are concerned, it looks like Nintendo peaked a long time ago.”

I guess that’s why Super Mario Galaxy is considered the best Mario since 64, and many critically consider it better than it. And Skyward Sword is considered one of the freshest and most original Zelda games in years. And Mario Kart 7 is considered theory many long term fans to be the best in the series since the original.

@79 Indeed. The only thing that can really limit someone’s choice of console is having limited taste.

83. Kabby

Wind Waker was a half arsed game. The story was somehwat interesting but it had no good dungeons and the overall dungeon count was low. It also became very tedious, very fast. Outside of the starter island the detail of the world was non existent.

Wind Waker wasn’t better than Ocarina of Time. The style was great and it seemed like it was going to be awesome. It just wasn’t.

Also Skyward Sword isn’t fresh. It starts out as generic bullshit and gradually grows into a competent Zelda game.

84. Froseidon

@80 and 81 – I always preferred OoT to any of the others, but I could quite happily say Wind Waker was good. Not tried Skyward Sword so I can’t comment on that :P

85. Ireland Michael

@80 @81 See, that’s the great thing about opinions. None of them are right and all of them re different.

86. Da Man

#79 Errr…

I have no interest in your approach and whether you’re an atheist.

I was saying how you become another person, when video games are something you entertain yourself with.

Football fans would be a better analogy. Or probably rockstar fans.

87. OrbitMonkey

Wait, did someone say Wind Waker was better than Ocarina of Time?!

*grabs flaming torch & pitchfork*

88. Froseidon

@84 – In that case I misunderstood you, and for that, I am sorry.

Also, come to think of it, music would have been a much better way to demonstrate my point, I just didn’t think of it at the time. Not too much into football so can’t comment.

89. G1GAHURTZ

1. We weren’t talking about the Wii, we were talking about the GameCube and it’s quality.

Is Galaxy better than 64? Yeah, ok. I don’t personally agree, but I’ll go with the concensus.

2. Wind Waker was crap. It was 10 hours of gameplay, and about 30 hours of sailing around in a boat. See how it fares up against OoT on Metacritic.

3. Anyone with a 0.59 k/d has no right whatsoever to talk about the quality of GoldenEye or any other FPS.

4. Like I said, Nintendo started going downhill with the GameCube, and not even Galaxy could save the Wii in the eyes of the core when Nintendo were pushing Wii Music and the rest of the gaming world had moved online.

90. Ireland Michael

@79 Ignore Da Man or he’ll be sitting here flaming you into next week. It isn’t worth the hassle, trust us.

@85 I think OoT, while a decent game for its time, is vastly over-rated in the broader history of gaming, and I feel like later games in the franchise perfected the formula much better.

91. Da Man

^Shut the phuck up you generic inane babbling moron.

Thanks.

I was having zero issues with him until you stupid piece of shit showed up.

92. G1GAHURTZ

This is unnecessarily offensive, and whatever your opinion is, your analogy is misplaced and not helping your case.

Choose another one.

93. Froseidon

@87 – “In the eyes of the core” ~ It wasn’t aimed at the core though, was it? The Wii is one of the more successful of the three. All because the product reached saturation before the other two does not make it a bad console.

General – Nintendo clearly have a different business strategy than Microsoft and Sony. Nintendo want a new product as they must believe extending the Wii’s product life cycle to be inefficient. MS and Sony are extending their product life cycles as they feel it would be more profitable than to create a new console for this year.

Also, bear in mind Nintendo like to be the point of innovation. Like it or not, they are. Do I see a controller with a screen in it elsewhere? No I do not. In this, the 3 companies are clearly black and white in what they want.

@90 – I was going for a lighter way of putting it, I am sorry if I offended. I also do not wish to mention what I have mentioned previous to this in that it was all I could think of at the time.

Edit to everyone talking about this – Please stop bickering, my analogy was not well placed and I admit that, but for the most part, it got my point across. I could have picked a better analogy such as music or football but it didn’t occur to me at the time. I’m sorry I cannot time travel and pluck ideas from the future.

94. Da Man

del

95. ManuOtaku

#91 I agree and people should at least give nintendo that they did had balls taking the wii and ds approach, it was a very risky move, with a lot of balls, if the opposite would had happened, i mean low sales for both, we would not be talking about nintendo anymore, it was risky as it takes,especially with the DS, and for that they deserve a little credit IMHO.

96. OrbitMonkey

@88, Heretic!! *puts on rose tinted spectacle’s*

97. Ireland Michael

@91 They don’t care. If its not aimed at their limited personal tastes, it isn’t relevant or important.

98. Froseidon

@95 – I’m alright with tastes being limited :D It’s just close-minded side of it that I don’t get.

Better Analogy – I prefer a variety of music, but I’m not all too keen on rap unless it is really good (in my opinion) but I can appreciate that someone else might like it. I don’t see the point of hating them for what they like, it is their choice, let them have it. (Happy Da Man / G1GAHURTZ?) Sorry for anything that offends :(

99. OrbitMonkey

No worries Froisedon, as one agnostic to another I thought your analogy was ok…

Can you imagine if religions had a E3 type event? Blimey, can you imagine being the poor sod who had to clean up all the body parts afterwards :-o

100. Froseidon

@97 – Shaky grounds :P You got bigger hangers than me, my friend!

P.S – I think I remember saying in post #55 that I didn’t want to start a religious debate, but it seemed I could not stop that.

Edit: I don’t think I have managed to say something so controversial before… Kind of amazed at the reaction to be honest. Expected more thick skinned people in a community as such. Probably shouldn’t have assumed, made an ass of myself me thinks!

101. G1GAHURTZ

It wasn’t aimed at the core though, was it?

This is the problem.

I’d supported Nintendo my whole life, financially (small amount though it may have been) and otherwise, and bought so many of their products.

Then what happened?

They came out with the GameCube, got destroyed by the PS2, so then chickened out of the core market and went looking elsewhere.

So they basically just abandoned the core and went for grannies and grandads. (exaggeration)

Instead of giving gamers what they were asking for, they gave soccer moms crap with waggle.

They lost more than money when they canned the SNES CD.

Also, forget about the analogy… Thanks for explaining.

102. Froseidon

@99 – True, they didn’t focus much on the core, and they focused too much on first party. I feel that the reason it isn’t strong anymore is the lack of variation. However, the strength of the Wii at the moment is a bit null, what with the Wii U round the corner.

I have always had a soft spot for Nintendo seeing as they were in my childhood. It is true, the Gamecube got chewed up and spat out by the PS2, which dominated the last generation. However, up ’til recently with the announcement of the Wii U, I wouldn’t have said the core was really their forte to begin with. With no major online, core couldn’t have been a strong aspect for them in my opinion.

I feel that they might comeback now with the Wii U and more third party titles. We’ll have to wait and see.

103. poketrainer

The good news is it looks like the Wii U will have technical specs

I was impressed with Pikmin 3 personally the most