Storm Legion – RIFT’s first expansion to “triple in size” current content

Thursday, 31st May 2012 20:58 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Trion has announced the first expansion for RIFT, Storm Legion, will release this fall.

The expansion will “triple in size,” content and territory already available in the game, with two new continents, and another major city in the form of Tempest Bay.

Each continent will have its own storyline, with the main expansion plot centering around Crucia, the Queen of Storms who has brought her minions through the Infinity Gate.

The level cap will also increase to 60, comes with seven new dungeons, three new raids, capes, a new crafting tier, another Chronicle in the roster, and an update to the housing system called dimensions.

Four new souls – Cleric, Mage, Rouge, Warrior – have also been added along with open-world colossus battles.

A video is below, and more information is available on Gamespot.

Thanks, Massively.

1. Giskard

I have not yet played this game beyond the trial that was available, but Trion keep impressing me with their rapidly releasing patches and HUGE amount of new content. Might even be worth checking out.

2. viralshag

Rift is an MMO and worth a try. It doesn’t revolutionise the genre by any stretch but they have done a great job in providing a solid traditional MMO with a decent story and a very impressive talent system.

I don’t play often but I’m still subbed, I’m happy to support Trion.

3. OlderGamer

Rift is an awesome game. Well run too.

4. Se_7_eN

Trion is very impressive with the support they have provided for RIFT. Some friends and I bought it a while back ago, I MIGHT give it another whirl depending how this expansion looks.

5. GrimRita

Rift and Trion have produced a fantastic package that other developers and publishers should take a look at.

Neat touches that impress me are things like the ability to record your battles IN game (without the need for 3rd party software) – no drop in frame rate. It converts it and will upload to your youtube channel whilst you play – again with no drop in frame rate.

Its a very good game indeed and I hope this brings back players and those wounded from SWTORs poor show.

6. Kalain

I really didn’t like this game. It was dull, boring, and repetitive. It’s only nice touch was the character talent system, but even then it was controlled by levels. To me, it was just WoW in a different skin, and not very good clone.

I don’t really think there’s going to be an MMO which will truly let you do what you want and have the consequences echo throughout the game. Sure, Eve Online comes close to it, but just doesn’t quite hit the mark.

I feel I was robbed of my money for this game, when I could’ve just handed Blizzard £10 to play WoW again..

7. GrimRita

Essentially it is WoW. But with more bells and whistles and imo offers better value for money. Its not the juggernaut WoW is but theres enough variety to keep you busy – what with some epic Rifts to open.

For some unknown reason, Sandbox MMOs wont ever be seen again after SWG. The recent releases of WoW clones have more or less struggled to hold a user base. We already have WoW, we dont need any more clones!

Its about time this genre was shaken to its core and something decent rose from the ashes.

8. OlderGamer

Also don’t forget that wow has been out for years, and has the bennifit of a few expansions. Rift is still new and this will be its first expansion. So contentwise there is a large difference there.

I currently have Rift, but play and sub to wow.

For me it is a matter of PC Power and family. I have 2 brother in laws, one sister inlaw, 2 sons and a wife that all play wow together. Not to mention several friends of the family. It is a social thing. PC power?

Wow will pretty much run on almost any PC out there at this point. In my house alone we have three PCs to play it on. And my family, some of them don’t know a video card from RAM, can all load it up and play. Where as Rift? I only own one PC that can run it. And no way will people in my social group buy a new PC to run a game they never played. Esp when wow runs just fine.

9. GrimRita

@8 I think you hit the nail on the head. One of the reasons why WoW was such an early success is because it would even run if you had a cream cracker as a graphics card!