Necromorphing: Dead Space 3 gets first screenshots

Thursday, 31st May 2012 07:22 GMT By Johnny Cullen

The first screenshots of Dead Space 3 have appeared ahead of a confirmed debut at E3 next week.

AGB has six shots in action. It’s now confirmed to be at E3 next week.

Issac Clark does still feature, but the screens also show a second person fighting alongside him in action. This may add weight to the talk surrounding a drop in, drop out co-op mode for the game.

The shots also show the game’s new location.

The game’s logo and a smaller screen appeared online yesterday. On Tuesday, a graphic novel trailer showed a new character in the Dead Space universe whose story looks set to be expanded upon in DS3. It’s probable the guy alongside Issac is that character.

EA announced at the start of the month a new Dead Space game was in development, but wouldn’t elaborate further than that.

Dead Space 2 launched in January 2011 for PS3, 360 and PC.

1. Erthazus

So they are making co-op this time.

But judging by the screens it’s more of an action game now then survival horror.

2. Hunam

I think the most I can muster is a sigh.

Farewell Dead Space, we hardly knew ye.

3. Erthazus

Dead Space 1 is still a fantastic game. I still remember it. It was great.

Second one was OK. But whatever.

4. Maximum Payne

@1 Its optional drop in drop out coop.
    If you are playing solo there won’t be any AI character with you.

5. Pytox

Wooooo yeaaaaa! :-)

6. xino

yes co-op!

thanks!

7. Edo

R.I.P Dead Space…thanks EA …again.

8. Malmer

Army of Two? :(

Multiplayer always ruins things.

But considering how great the previous two games were I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt.

9. Maximum Payne

@8 What is ruined ? Its optional , and there won’t be AI with you if you are playing singleplayer unlike :Kane and lynch,Army of Two,L4D….

10. MFBB

Coop takes a lot of the survival/horror away from the game.

Often titles turn into more of an action game, like the last 2 Resident Evil games who both featured coop.

I still hope its a good survival/horror game and has some new enemies and settings, not the same things we saw the last 2 times.

11. Malmer

@9: You sure? Source? In that case I’m a happy man! :)

12. RandomTiger

@9 Its not that simple, the entire game will now be designed to be co-op friendly, this *may* detract from the single player experience. Its also additional work that needs time, hopefully they will drop multiplayer. The developers seem pretty good so perhaps they can pull it off.

13. HighWindXIX

One of those shots sure does look like Isaac and some guy aiming guns at a human aiming a gun at them. I don’t see how you could get further away from what Dead Space is supposed to be about. Please EA, don’t ruin this. Dead Space should be horror, not action.

14. The_Red

A co-op shooter? Fuck this. Really loved first two Dead Space games but the second one was mostly action and now focus on co-op?
    That would kill the very few remaining horror elements of DS3 asap. Don’t believe it? Check out Resident Evil 5 and FEAR 3 (Both of which happen to be really DISAPPOINTING and lackluster games in their own respected series).

15. Wezzulus

Co-op or not in Resi5, the game wouldn’t have been scary anyway. In fact, I believe co-op is what saved that game. Resi5 was only so much fun and replay-able because of the co-op.

There is plenty of co-op horror games that can be scary, I myself found Doom 3 quite tense still and ofcourse System Shock 2. It’s up to the developer if they can pull it off though.

16. Telepathic.Geometry

@10: I see what you’re saying, but if it’s anything like the bleak as fuck world of Dark Souls, you’re always happy to have a buddy with you in the shit. It’s still scary as hell mind, but having him there makes you feel like there’s always a glimmer of hope. Just a glimmer mind.

17. Moonwalker1982

It’s a bit crazy how quick people judge something. It had been said that the game would take on a icy planet, and i don’t think you can expect nothing but darkness like in the first two DS games. As for co-op, yeah i agree with that. Resident Evil 5 made it no fun to play in singleplayer only, let’s hope they won’t do it with this. I just don’t believe playing a game in co-op can ever be scary. But lets not write it off right away people.

18. SplatteredHouse

@17: It isn’t crazy at all, given that companies release these assets, with the intention that people react to them. For that to happen, a judgement of some kind has to be made.

19. Lewis247

How the hell did people suddenly jump to the conclusion that the other AI character won’t be around when it’s single player?

They clearly will… This other character is going to have a lot of focus on the game, start of his “new saga” and everything. But I doubt we would play as him for the game, it’s going to be Issac. The two are clearly going to be together.

Well… All I can say is that’s exactly what it’s looking like but I seriously hope I’m not right.

Basically, You can’t have one without the other. They will both be important to the plot. If this is resident evil 5 all over again then I’ll cry.

20. lkm

how co-op gonna make a good horror? why developers think that every game better played with others?!?!?!?!?

21. TheBlackHole

“Multiplayer always ruins things.”

Er… no. No, I’m not going to feed the troll.