Sony to cut Vita price in France by €50 starting June 1 for a limited time

Wednesday, 30th May 2012 15:04 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony will cut the price of Vita by €50 starting June 1, but only in France.

The price cut will be available for a limited time, and the sale ends on July 15.

“The PS Vita is the latest generation of handheld console and more than 1.8m have been sold worldwide since its launch,” said SCE Europe VP Philippe Cardon, per MCV. “With this offer we want to make it more accessible to the greatest number with the approach of summer vacation.”

A Sony representative has told VG247 the sale is “a limited retail price promotion that is only available for a short space of time in France.”

1. mojo

like always, every possible e3 sony news leaking out before..

2. Patrick Garratt

A temporary price cut?

3. ejams

Is this in Canada/US as well? If so I’ll be taking the plunge

4. Colin Gallacher

@1 I doubt Sony would have announced this at E3 when the price cut starts days before E3 begins.

5. Razor

A temporary price cu-

Oh, Pat beat me.

That’s, er, interesting. Wonder what they do if (and it is a big if) sales skyrocket. Do they bump the price back up or just stick?

6. ManuOtaku

I got the feeling is a “temporary” thing, but without an expiration date

p.s and if you ask me this is a great marketing strategy, i mean telling is a temporary thing to consumers, it works better than a permanent price drop, at least it intices more the consumers eyes and carve to their primary instinct of picking things up while it lasts.

7. Colin Gallacher

@5 Could be a test of the market. Drum up sales from E3 excitement and see consumers bite. Put out a bundle at the old price?

8. Patrick Garratt

They’ll have to make a deep cut later in the year if they want it to move for Christmas. As @7 says, maybe it’s a test.

9. daytripper

£200 with a game and 4gb memory card would do me.

10. Goffee

This is just to gloss over the poor reaction to Resistance, right?

11. Patrick Garratt

SCE UK knew nothing about this.

12. Razor

“SCE UK knew nothing about this.”

lololol, what’s new.

Well I guess tbf if they’re not going to offer it in the UK, that would make a tiny bit of sense. Suppose that rules out a UK cut then.

13. Johnny Cullen

@12 I’m still waiting to hear back from them on the UK stance, but the rep I spoke to was genuinely surprised at it when I got him on the phone.

14. Patrick Garratt

It’s just France. Updating now.

15. Eregol

Just the frenchies?
    Very odd choice.

16. Razor

Well I guess that would explain why SCE UK didn’t know haha.

What a disappointment lol. We went from Vita price cut, to price cut for a limited time, to price cut for a limited time only in France, all in the space of an hour.

Would have liked to see Vita a pan-European cut. It certainly needs something.

17. ManuOtaku

sacreblu, La merde
    p.s iam not french so i dont know if thats the proper way of writing those words, but you understand the sentiment either way.

18. Erthazus

Failed product pretty much.

If they are going to announce games for this fantatic device, then good, if they are going to announce PORTS. They can G T F O.

19. Dragon246

I am looking forward to price cut, but only if they provide some compensation to early adopters like me like what nintendo did with ambassador program.
    @18,
    It took only 3 months for you to come at a conclusion like this, you really think you are some hot-shot analyst, dont you?

20. Gekidami

^ Its a 2 week promotion, they arent going to offer compensation for that.

21. Dragon246

@20,
    Yeah I know, but if it turns out to be a permanent offer later then I as well as many other first adopters will surely be pissed as hell (without some sort of 40-50$ free lollipop from sony)

22. mojo

4: when i wrote my comment the article only said: “Sony is about to cut the prize of Vita by 50€. more to come”.
    So i wasnt aware of it:
    1. starting on june 1st
    2. beeing only temporary
    3. beeing available only in france..