Sections

Report – Sony and Microsoft considered, rejected download-only console option for next-gen

Wednesday, 30th May 2012 17:30 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony had considered making PS4 a download-only console at one point, but according to sources “familiar with the matter,” the firm decided to go with the tried and true “optical disk drive” model, according to The Wall Street Journal.

The source said Sony decided against a download-only console due to the inconsistency of Internet connectivity across the globe, where the sheer size of game files in some parts would cripple a customer’s ability to download available titles.

Sony plans to release its new console next year, said the source.

According to the source, Microsoft opted for an optical drive in the next Xbox console for the same reason.

A spokesperson for both Sony and Microsoft declined to comment on the rumor to WSJ.

Latest

14 Comments

  1. Maximum Payne

    Its not just internet connectivity, but bigger hard drive with each console would become a must.

    #1 2 years ago
  2. G1GAHURTZ

    They should make cheaper, download only versions for people with good internet, though…

    #2 2 years ago
  3. loveaya

    no matter how your connection of Internet is awesome, i don’t think there will be players who wishes to download a 40GB game.

    #3 2 years ago
  4. Dannybuoy

    I’ve got ‘good Internet’ and even with my 20mb connection PSN is painfully slow. Please don’t go download only. Ever

    #4 2 years ago
  5. Phoenixblight

    @4

    Thats because PSN throttles your download as does MS though with Live being a premium service they can give more bandwidth even though they are throttling.

    #5 2 years ago
  6. Rhythm

    @5 what do they restrict it to? I never got less than 1 megabyte per second when I used to use PSN.

    #6 2 years ago
  7. G1GAHURTZ

    Wow, you guys must have some sort of internet-only console phobia to not even want people to have the option of getting one out of their own choice.

    I’m talking about an internet only version that would sell alongside an optical drive one, like we saw the Xbox 360 arcade versions alongside the premium Xbox 360 versions.

    Of course, with no optical drive, it would be cheaper…

    Anyway, I’m sure we’ve all been through this before, but there are ways to get 40GB games on a hard drive (like in a store, over wi-fi) without even having an internet connection at home.

    #7 2 years ago
  8. Da Man

    Yes please, do make that happen, MS. Disc drive free Xbox. Just like the new Mac Minis.

    I don’t care what Sony does, they can keep their space age discs. I have more than enough dust collectors already.

    #8 2 years ago
  9. Moonwalker1982

    This is good news! It shouldn’t be download only.

    #9 2 years ago
  10. TMRNetShark

    Good news indeed… I like buying used games (even though I buy a majority of new games).

    #10 2 years ago
  11. Unlimax

    NO .. No one ever need to download games from internet especially if you pay for it and to make sure that our downloadable games with huge size been fine or “Corrupted” .. Just disagree it with capital NOOOO!!!

    #11 2 years ago
  12. Lord Gremlin

    Once games release simultaneously worldwide and available in every region unless specifically banned in this country (MK in Australia)… Then maybe.
    Right now, many EU region PS stores missing.. Well, almost everything good.
    Plus, where’s guarantee that game is mine forever? I know blu-ray games are.

    #12 2 years ago
  13. NightCrawler1970

    I Guess both wanna save money on Blue-Ray disk/DVD disk production cost, included DVD cover, paper.

    All both have to do is spend more money on promotion….
    So they already revealed that the next generation console will be non-BR/DVD drive, so no way to put PS3 disk in it, or PS2 or older…
    So a huge harddrive over 1TB for all that shit like PS HOME for those that want to be social, takes a huge amount of MB/GB to storage all those locations…

    another thing that Sony & Xbox want to get rid off:

    * Piracy
    * trade ins
    * bye bye gamestop…
    * games on Blue-ray/DVD, no production cost…
    * Pre-oder in store is over and out, no need, to for now on pre-order will be online on PSN server or Xbox Live…
    So the money will be splitted, 25% goes to Sony or Microsoft, the other 75% goes to the makers of the game…

    Did i miss something just add it here…

    #13 2 years ago
  14. fearmonkey

    Thats fine having optical, but if its Blu-ray, let it be faster than the PS3 so i dont have to install the game to HD if I dont want to. Also, 1TB drives please.

    #14 2 years ago

Comments are now closed on this article.