DOOM 3 BFG Edition coming to PS3, 360, PC this autumn

Wednesday, 30th May 2012 15:02 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Bethesda’s announced a BFG Edition of DOOM 3, coming to Xbox 360, PC and PS3 this autumn.

The pack will contain remastered versions of the vanilla edition of the shooter, as well as add-on Resurrection of Evil and seven new levels called “The Lost Mission”.

All elements of the remastered DOOM 3, including Resurrection of Evil and The Lost Mission, will be optimised in 5.1 surrond sound and features 3D support. It’ll also have improved rendering and lighting and a new checkpoint system for better progression through the game.

PS3 trophies and 360 achievements will also be included.

All versions of the BFG Edition will also come with the original DOOM 1 and 2, meaning it’ll be the first time all three titles in the series have appeared on PS3.

“DOOM 3 was enthusiastically embraced by gamers worldwide at its release,” said id tech boss John Carmack. “Today, the full experience has been enhanced and extended to be better than ever, and is delivered across all the platforms with a silky smooth frame rate and highly responsive controls.”

Carmack added: “New support for 3D TVs, monitors and head mounted displays also allows players to experience the game with more depth than ever before. We think shooter fans everywhere will love it.”

There’s a trailer above.

1. mojo

spoiler: it will be dark.

2. roadkill

spoiler: and enemies will not attack you from the dark.

3. ManuOtaku

i will get it for sure, since i have yet to play the game.

4. noherczeg

And where are the “scripted” spoilers? :O

5. Lewis247

I read that as ‘Doom 3 rpg edition’ for some reason and immediately had a brain fart. Doom 3 is awesome so nice one!

6. deathgaze

DOOM 3 got a lot of hate from critics when it was released and I understand why. It still doesn’t change the fact that the game is an extremely fun run-and-gun romp through Hell’s minions. I’ll be picking this up.

7. Maximum Payne

This was unexpected.
    Me and my friend tried coop on PC using mods and actually works just fine.

8. Fin

Zenimax are going all-out with rereleases this year…

9. OrbitMonkey

Oh yes!! Got some fine memories of blazing through various nasties, locating targets using nothing but my muzzle flash… Big fun!!

If it comes with some kind of 2-4 player co-op I’ll be well chuffed :-P

10. DuckOfDestiny

Does this mean Doom 4 info is on it’s way?

11. drewbles82

They should also include the Simpsons Add on for Doom 2 along with a map editor. Awesome days. Why Shaggy, Beavis n Butthead were in a simpsons add on, i dont know but still was fun.

12. xino

YESSSS!

Man I love this game so much!

hope it has co-op man!

the problem and ironic thing is someone is already working on doom 3 super high texture HD mod…guess his work is compromised!

and also including original DOOM 1 & 2:)

but the problem is, people who bought doom1/2 on xbox arcade now wasted their money:)

Bethesda pulled a Capcom. BUt i like this man:)

13. Talkar

Worth noting Carmack has made his own head mounted display :P

14. Erthazus

I remember Doom 3 on my PC rig at that time. I was so excited about this and in the end it was pretty much mediocre.

Dead Space is a good example of what should Doom 3 be from the start.

15. DuckOfDestiny

@14 I’d say Painkiller is a better example.

16. Erthazus

@15, that too.

but Dead Space is much closer to Doom 3 in terms of setting and atmosphere.

17. Maxey

That was random. I wonder if they’ll included achievements in the PC version.

18. xino

that was the reason why i got bored of Dead Space, it was just too much similar like doom 3.

i expect this game to have features from the Xbox port!
    xbox port had multiplayer and co-op, this HD Remake has no reason not to include it:/

19. osric90

DUDE, this this good news! Is this coming on Blu-ray or only PSN? Which would be not that good news.

20. aseddon130

i’ll let you all into a little secret … Doom has never really been good.

21. TD_Monstrous69

The five-year-old nostalgic in me is telling me I should pick this up (yes, I played DOOM when I was 5), seeing as how I missed 2 and 3, and my memory’s a little fuzzy when it comes to the 1st DOOM. But I don’t know, seeing this trailer didn’t exactly scream “must buy” when I saw it, but seeing as it’s id, I’ll give em a chance.

22. wheezal

for all the issues Doom 3 had, it was a truly terrifying experience at times.

i recall playing it in the dark, around 2 in the morning one weekend, all the lights off, and i had a 450W 7.1 speaker system (the good ol gigaworks) blasting.

more than a few times i turned my head into the blackness of the empty room, i miss those speakers.

23. jldoom

And I was thinking about playing Doom 3 just the other day! Must of read my mind.

24. Da Man

#20 aseddon130

+ 1 Very true. Doom has always been a mediocre tech demo.