Apple “not interested in being in the console business,” says Cook

Wednesday, 30th May 2012 07:38 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Apple CEO Tim Cook said during yesterday’s D10 conference the company has no interest in being part of the console business.

“Gaming has kind of evolved a bit. More people play on portable devices. Where we might go in the future, we’ll see,” he said, as reported by AllThingsD (via The Verge).

“Customers love games. I’m not interested in being in the console business in what is thought of as traditional gaming. But Apple is a big player today and things in the future will only make that bigger.”

Apple has long been rumoured to be entering into the console business following the success of gaming on iOS, even going as far as pinching three well-known games industry vets from the UK.

It had also been rumoured the company met with Valve in regards to new hardware, but the rumor was quickly debunked.

[Image]

1. Pytox

iOs games sold by steam on apple

2. Gekidami

Pat must have fell to his knees sobbing when he read this. :P

3. Telepathic.Geometry

Reading this makes me think even more that they will enter the console business! I think it just shows that they intend to do it on their own terms. I mean, they entered the handheld gaming business, but I’m sure that they would say that they hadn’t officially, even they have de facto.

They’ll say “What? No! This is just the Apple TV iPad link-up feature, we’re not making games consoles!” but, they will be making a platform which allows you to play games on your TV set, just like consoles.

I don’t have a shred of evidence or reasoned debate to back me up on this, but I feel it in my balls.

4. Christopher Jack

Apple does not care much for gaming, looking at Mac tells you the entire story. The only reason that they even support gaming on iOS is because that’s what the developers were making & that’s what the people wanted, they have no personal interest in gamers & gaming in general.

5. rainer

Apple will never get into the console business that is pretty obvious, Apple has no intention of getting into the hardware game.

Everything Apple does is re-purposed from it’s iOS platforms. The only likely scenario for Apple would be cloud gaming through the likes of Gaikai or simply do it itself but I doubt Apple would ever do that and prefers to leave it to third parties.