The Elder Scrolls Online designed to be sandwich incompatible

Tuesday, 29th May 2012 02:08 GMT By Brenna Hillier

If the team at Zenimax Online has its way, you won’t be eating your lunch while you’re playing The Elder Scrolls Online

“We want monsters to be a challenge to the player every single time you fight them, not a speedbump for the player. We don’t want fighting monsters to be boring or you can eat a sandwich or do five other things while fighting a monster,” gameplay designer Maria Aliprando told PC Gamer.

“We want to reward you for executing moves and fighting against monsters as well. So when monsters present their dynamic behaviours we don’t want to confuse you with UI all over the screen; we want you to be in there fighting with the monster at the moment.”

The reference to UI is telling; elsewhere in the article staff explain that a console-friendly UI is important for attracting those unfamiliar with MMO conventions, and that heavy UI distracts from the fun of the game’s mass PvP battles.

“I think a lot of the previous generations of MMOs a lot of the game is looking at that UI and playing it,” lead gameplay designer Nick Konkle said.

“Technical restrictions were such that we couldn’t have that sort of fully immersive battle experience because people weren’t where they were, where you would see them, they were somewhere else. But we wanted to create an immersive experience because that’s the modern game, that’s the modern RPG,” he added.

“One in which I look at the world, not at my hotbar. Not at numbers that are flying up.”

The Elder Scrolls Online is due in 2013 on Mac and PC.

1. TheWulf

The last time they said something I said it sounded like they watched ArenaNet’s videos, said “Hey, I like what they’re saying!” and then “I have an idea, let’s say exactly the same things they said!”

And here they are doing it again.

But the difference is that ArenaNet SHOWED us, ZeniMax. This is something you have yet to do. Considering that you’re stealing all of ArenaNet’s lines but not showing any game footage, and not letting anyone at your game, don’t expect me to actually take any of this with more than a pinch of salt.

2. dirtysock

I’ve read the incredible article featured in gameinformer’s magazine over this game. And I’m happy to say that I’m finally impressed by the ideas that an mmo will be bringing to the table. And I knew when I first heard of this game that if anyone could, it would be Bethesda to innovate in a genre that has most often continued to do the same thing over and over since World of Warcraft. And before people start attacking me over that statement, I do realize that a lot of mmos do a lot of different things than wow. But generally speaking many of them have tried to copy them and steal some.of their audience.

I’m not saying this is going to be a wow killer (people have called so many games wow killers to the point of ridiculousness) but rather it will attract a whole new kind of audience into the realm of mmos. And I believe this is possible by all of the new and.interesting innovative ideas that the mmo genre has never seen before. I hope it lives up to my expectations.

3. Phoenixblight

There is nothing new of TES:Online that hasn’t been done with current MMOs even GW2 will be surpassing the features offered in TES:Online. Even Secret World offers more features.

4. Ireland Michael

@3 I love the part where you apparently know everything about a game that we’ve barely seen any actual in-game content on yet.

Funny.

5. Phoenixblight

The game Informer article is all the info I need 6 years of development and they talk about what the game offers as “new” when its not.

“barely seen any actual in-game content on yet.”

There are loads of screenshots floating around the net. Its not impressive.

6. jacobvandy

Screenshots don’t show you anything beyond a few character models and environments, which aren’t actual content…

I agree that some of the ideas in the GI article sound cool, but it’s easy to say “this is what we’re going for” when you’re not proving you’ve succeeded in translating that to actual gameplay. And anyway half of what they say in that magazine, both the writer and the devs, is basically just making excuses for having to sacrifice the spirit of The Elder Scrolls in order to make it work in this online adaptation; they’re still working within the confines of existing MMORPG mechanics and infrastructure, so no matter what they do it’s not going to be anything truly new or different.