New Sony patent details a method to interrupt games with ads

Friday, 25th May 2012 10:18 GMT By Alex Donaldson

A new patent filed by Sony Computer Entertainment America details software designed to interrupt the gameplay sessions of users with advertisements.

Spotted by an eagle-eyed user on NeoGAF, the patent was filed back in July 2011 by SCEA and is given the catchy title “Advertisement Scheme for use with interactive content.”

What the patent does in a nutshell is warn the player that the game is about to be interrupted and then introduces the advert. Once the advert is over – the example Sony puts forward is an ad for a brand of soda – there’s a momentary pause before gameplay begins again.

The patent also mentions a method of potentially rewinding the game once the advert is over, presumably in case the warning that the ad was incoming distracted you from a vital segment. That’s probably wise as I for one I can’t imagine surviving the intense rush of anger after losing all my souls in Dark Souls thanks to such a message distracting me without a feature to undo the damage.

Eurogamer points out that the patent is an expansion on a one based around similar ideas filed in 2006. Only time will tell if anything real will come of this.

1. OrbitMonkey

Noooooooooo!! *DEEP BREATH* Noooooooooo!!

2. Yoshi

lol what.

But either way, doubtful they’ll do anything as it says in the post a similar one was done in 2006 and it’s been a year since this updated one.

3. StolenGlory

*Deep breath*.

Fuck. Off.

4. silkvg247

I doubt it’d ever see the light of day in full/paid for games. If it did, piracy would increase tenfold (to strip games of ads).

It’d be more likely that if it ever becomes a thing, it’ll be for free games or demos.

5. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, like I was saying… This would be the ideal way to introduce “free” versions of games. If you like it, pay the money and get it ad free.

Just like iTunes…

6. locus2k1

On a serious note, I agree with G1GA, if this was to be used it would likely be for Freemium/F2P… Everquest II and Free Realms would come to mind. It would be foolish to add these to fully purchased games.

EDIT: tried to embed a gif as an image… failed lol

7. Lord Gremlin

But what if that means that PS3 gets Onlive and all it’s PC library which can be played for free with ads? Or without ads if you buy PS+.

8. Ge0force

If Sony interrupts any paid content for ads, I’ll sell my PS3 and all my games immediately. I can live with free games with ads, but I prefer in-game ads instead of interrupts.

9. KAP

Thats t sony, when your already hated, just become hated even more… why not.

SCE needs to think for once.

10. Ge0force

@9: It’s only a patent, Microsoft is already working on this stuff:

11. mojo

worst idea ever
    gg sony.

12. TheBlackHole

Sony can fuck right off.

13. absolutezero

Great another nail in the coffin of F2P’s credibility.

14. OlderGamer

At what point do we think this is something tht only Sony is looking into? I mean, really? With ads all over the dashboard, I’d say MS is right there with sony on this one.

“But MS doesn’t insert ads into the actual game”, a rager would say. Neither does Sony. Just give it time, and both might. This is yet another reason why PC makes sense, it is an open platform. And while someone might try this, you would have plenty of other options to use. But if MS or Sony do this on their consoles, your stuck with it.

15. deathgaze

What makes you think the PC would be immune to this?

16. OlderGamer

Because there too many choices on a PC. Your not locked into anything.

On a closed console they got you. If Sony or MS mandate something like this, you either use or you don’t, play the game or you don’t.

On a PC it would be cracked in days.

And most likly the same game could be bought from a different sevice.

I can not see something like this coming from within the game itself. It would have to be a mandate from the service that offers/runs the game. That is reason number one why it could work on a console, but not on a PC. But the biggest reason is yeah, crackers would open a game up and disable it.

17. ManuOtaku

To sony and microsoft, you are in the videogame business, you make consoles that play videogames as a core and main feature, most of gamers tend to play games on their consoles, please dont ever forget this important aspects in the development of new “added” things for your consoles, ones that are not related to the core feature of your consoles, sincerely and avid gamer.
    p.s i know iam pointing the obvious, but just in case they forgot, because it just seems so.

18. Da Man

Just don’t include mandatory sticky jumps and whack-a-moles into my videogames.

19. YoungZer0

Well, if my games stop for a second to show me advertisement they better be for free, or i’m gonna pirate the shit out of them.

20. Stardog

The real problem is that something like this is patentable. Pausing a game to display an ad?

21. HeavyD-Love

I’ll stop buying and start pirating the day this happens.

22. manamana

^ this and Sony can fuck them selfs. Is nintendo the *only* sane company without “always on” and advertising shit attitudes nowadays, or what? Can’t believe this shit for real.

23. DrDamn

Nintendo are still catching up in that regard – just wait :)

Agree with previous comments that this is linked to F2P type models – and the new patent may well be linked in with the cloud gaming E3 thing.

24. TMRNetShark

I wouldn’t mind advertisement in games like GTA or any other psedo modern day games. Like in GTA, the adverts can be on billboards, the hotdog stands, on the side of buses or taxi cabs, commericals on the radio (but still retain the satirical commercials too), and so on. This can work for like Call of Duty too where the trash laying around could be like a Coke can or of the sort.

Now if it interrupts gameplay, that’s just wrong. Ads in games need to be cleverly embedded into the game. If it interrupts the game, I will just hate the brand and never buy it (thus defeating the purpose of the advertisement).

25. qazwsx

This sounds like some bull fucking shit. I hate commercials to begin with

26. CiscoKid

Since I have PS+ does that mean I’d only get half the commercials?

*nervous sarcastic laugh*

27. pukem0n

so much for flaming Microsoft for adding ads into the dashboard ^^

28. Gekidami

^ Except MS actually did that, Sony originally came up with this in 2006 and never acted on it.

29. fearmonkey

Give me a free game and I would accept the ads, but it would have to be a great game.

30. Mystic Sage

If they start putting Advertisements interrupting games I will quite playing video games. That in essence completely ruins the immersion and experience games give the player and what developers work so hard to accomplish.The magic in video games is being drawn into the game if advertisements are popping up all the time it is taking you away from that and can make the message of games a lot more dull.

31. Diddly

Sounds like a terrible idea until you think about it a bit. If it means significantly cheaper gaming then that’s a good thing as it’ll mean more choice and less need for developers wasting their time producing demos. If it gets taken to silly levels and interrupts the game every 10 minutes or so then I’ll get bored and have to start smoking again as I’m too cheap and stubborn to pay to remove ads-but I won’t be able to blame the advertising as tobacco ads will be banned. Darn. Hopefully M$ will have a smarter idea.