Diablo III client patch hits next week, real-money AH delayed again

Thursday, 24th May 2012 19:44 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Blizzard has published a list of hotfixes applied Diablo III over on Battle.net along with the news that the real-money auction house has been delayed again.

The firm also said it’s looking into why some players’ achievements are missing, and “sometime next week,” a patch addressing client issues will be released. It will also apply additional bug fixes.

As far as the real-money auction house was concerned, community manager Nethaera wrote the following:

“In light of the post-launch obstacles we’ve encountered, we have made the decision to move the launch of the real-money auction house beyond the previously estimated May time frame. As we mentioned in our original announcement, our goal has always been to ensure everyone has the smoothest experience possible when the real-money auction house launches, and we need a bit more time to iron out the existing general stability and gameplay issues before that feature goes live.

“While we don’t have a new launch date to share just yet, we’ll have more information soon.”

The list of hotfixes, which also applies changes to the monk, demon hunter and wizard classes, is listed over on Eurogamer, as Battle.net is currently down.

Note, though, that if you have yet to finish the game on normal difficulty, the list may contain spoilers.

[image]

1. Takeshi

Looks like I might benefit from holding on playing Diablo 3.

2. desadoc

Smart move. I just got hacked, Blizzard rolled back my account 1 day. And now I can’t use real money action house without an authenticator.

Thanks Blizzard!

3. Se_7_eN

@1 – I am holding off as well, and by “Holding off” I mean getting Torchlight 2 instead.

4. OlderGamer

You got hacked?

5. Phoenixblight

@OG

There is an actual exploitation within DIablo 3 that circumvents authenticators and that why this patch was pushed a week so they can resolve it.

Authenticators should be required for the RMAH.

6. GwynbleiddiuM

@2 Well if you have an iDevice or android based device you can get the blizzard mobile authenticator app for free. I don’t so I need to get an actual authenticator.

7. TheWulf

If they’d actually delayed the release of the game a bit and put it through a proper beta (instead of one of those silly press/hype open ‘beta’ events that Blizzard loves so much), then none of this might have happened. It’s silly, but all their competitors are just showing how you do things more professionally than Blizzard is right now.

Guild Wars 2: The beta actually is a beta, each beta they roll out new things to test, and then they fix and polish based upon the findings, even bringing new hardware online if necessary.

Torchlight 2: The lack of always online DRM means that they won’t have an error 37, and without having to go through an online server to play, you won’t get hacked unless someone has access to your local computer.

To me, this is just showing how lazy and complacent Blizzard has gotten. They know that their mindless fan horde will buy whatever they put out. Quality? They don’t need it. Professionalism? They don’t need it. Polish? They don’t need it.

Imagine if it had been Bioware or Runic Games (Torchlight people) who’d suffered this, the Internet would be in an uproar. But that’s the base hypocrisy of humanity for you. The brand name erodes intellect, it eats away at your ability to look at things analytically.

Because it’s Blizzard, no one is allowed to point out their many and myriad flaws. It must be perfect, because Blizzard. And their competitors must always be doing things lesser, somehow, despite the mountains of evidence to the contrary.

I look upon us as a race, sometimes, and I despair.

Bioware caught so much shit over that ending. But Blizzard? Blizzard can get away with whatever the fuck they want. I’m actually getting a mild superiority complex through this, because at least I’m able to sit back and look at things analytically without that ‘because Blizzard’ haze clouding my mind.

Diablo III is a game that was developed in a lazy, half-arsed way. I’d say that it could have used another year in development, but the way Blizzard develop I doubt anything would have gotten done. It’s drab, mediocre, abysmally mindless in how unchallenging it is, it takes itself way too seriously (even its own jokes), it lacks a sense of fun, and ultimately… ultimately it’s just a broken game.

Titan Quest was better, even. To be honest, I’d even go so far as to say that Darkspore was better. Darkspore at least had beautiful, lush environments and meaty combat. And Torchlight II has just been more enjoyable for me on every conceivable level.

It just amazes me that people find that there’s anything left to defend.

8. TheWulf

Also, can we stop perpetuating the outright lie that the authenticator will protect people? Numerous hacking sites already covered why it won’t, and even Blizzard owned up to it in a previous article here on VG24/7.

It’s a session ID hack. Authenticators will do shit all to protect you from the hacks.

But hey, don’t believe me.

I’m just here to troll, right? I don’t give a fuck about your security. So feel free not to listen to me. Feel free to ignore this, and to not go to Google to do your own research. Feel free to stick your head in the sand.

I’m not saying we’re doing this here, by the way. I’m just pointing it out. A lot of reddit threads and such have been all “THE AUTHENTICATOR WILL PROTECT YOU”. Get it out there that it won’t.

9. GrimRita

Am I right in saying they delayed pvp? Any ETA if this is the case? I so need a new game to play right now and may download this

10. Kabby

There’s no PvP for months and you’d be crazy to get Diablo ‘for the PvP’.

11. Ireland Michael

@8 You’re not trolling, but you are being way too alarmist.

The authenticator is a perfectly valid means of protecting your account, in *most* cases. Clearly this a pretty extreme situation, and more certainly could have been done on Blizzard’s part. You’re making it sound like the Authenticator is flat out useless though, which it isn’t.

12. DSB

It’s a bit telling that the people who aren’t playing the game are writing more than the people who actually are.

What is it they say about homophobes and insecurity? I think it applies.

13. GrimRita

@10 yeah you’re probably right. :(

14. desadoc

@6 I don’t have an iphone/android and, including shipment, the authenticator would cost me $27.

15. Phoenixblight

It shouldn’t be 27$ unless you are paying for overnight shipping. I had bought the physical one a year ago and it was 10$ altogether.

16. Droid

I can’t even find a place to buy this from. Seems if you didnt pre-order it’s a lost cause unless you’re rich. I’m not paying £60 for a game, That’s silly money! :(

17. Talkar

We’re just to busy playing the game to make comments here :P

18. DSB

@17 Well yeah. I understand a scattered comment or jab here and there. “Haha, you fail”. Trash talking is fun, and fuck knows that Blizzard have left themselves wide open to some pretty serious criticism this time. But it gets a little conspicuous when you’re writing complete novels about something you claim to hate.

It’s a lot like the goth kid sitting off in some corner of the yard going “You all suck, with your fun, and laughter, and appreciation for nice things. You’re all soulless husks”.

To me it sounds like someone is outside the group, and doesn’t like it very much, but needs some reassurance that it’s the right and noble thing to do. Same thing with Call of Duty.

Speaking of playing too much though… People are fucking insane about playing D3. I just completed it on normal, but most of my friends, and the VG247 guys are just like several playthroughs ahead.

19. OlderGamer

PB, what should I(or other diablo players) do? Or not do to keep from being hacked? I been playing most of the day, finaly beat the normal mode(once you get a few key spells it becomes rather easy to be honest).

Should I maybe not play again till the patch hits? Or stay away from auction house?

And for it is worth Wulf, I agree with most of what your saying. But, it is what it is man. Diablo III is a neat game to play. I have been enjoying it and getting my moneys worth. I think I will sink more hours into Torchlight II then Diablo III. And Titan Quest Imortal Throne is still, imo, the best game in this genere. But none of that means I can’t also enjoy Diablo III.

Besides I got it free* with my years sub to wow, what am I gonna do? Not play it?

20. Phoenixblight

I just keep playing when it does happen I will cross that bridge =-P

21. DSB

@19 Has a security breach actually been confirmed? All I’ve seen is scaremongering so far.

Thing is, when a company has a serious security breach, it’s not gonna be able to hide it. That’s too hot to handle.

Aside from that, there are the usual things: Change your password regularly, in the case of a Battle.net account, use an authenticator.

Other than that it’s strictly general. If several people have access to a computer, and some of those might not be 110% internet-paranoid, then there’s always the risk of malware finding its way on there. Knowing a person doesn’t mean knowing their internet habits. Most antiviruses keep track of bad sites and won’t let you visit them if they’ve been reported as such, but it’s no substitute for common sense and due (and sometimes even undue) vigilance.

The thing is, if a quality hacker really wants your account, he’s going to have it. 99,9% of the time, most hackers would consider that a shitty waste of their time, and general trickery and phishing will net them a million times more accounts anyway. Have you won the lottery recently? Because that’s about as lucky as you’d have to be, to have a serious hacker dedicate himself to nailing your account.

Personally I haven’t seen any cause for concern. I’ve had a Battle.net account since before WoW came out, I had lots of expensive gear and gold, and I haven’t been hacked once. I’m not gonna fear the bogeyman until he dares to show his face.

22. Kabby

Some thoughts by someone who has reversed engineered previous bnet implementations.