Civilization V is 75% off, and free to play on Steam this weekend

Thursday, 24th May 2012 19:58 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Civilization V is not only free to play this holiday weekend on Steam, but it’s also 75% off the regular price. The free weekend ends on Sunday, at 1.00pm PDT/4.00pm EDT and the sale ends on Monday, May 28 10.00am PDT/1.00pm EDT. Hit up Steam for more information.

1. silkvg247

Finally, was waiting for the ultimate price drop. :)

I like civ but not for more than the occasional dabble. I don’t have the first clue how to play effectively or what to build when.

2. Stephany Nunneley

“I don’t have the first clue how to play effectively or what to build when” – this is why I have never played it, or other titles like this that I think look really cool. :(

3. GrimRita

I bought it when it was released. Never touched the series prior to that.

The tutorial is pretty cool and recommends what to build. Its free to play, so give it a shot. However, the AI is utter shit but there are community mods improving it…a bit

4. DSB

@1,2 You two are such women. “I don’t know how to do this, so I won’t”.

Just. Risk. It!

Really, Civilization IV had a lot of pretty deep mechanics and understood ins and outs, but Civ V is the ultimate compression of all that. There are very few things that you can’t just figure out by looking at the interface.

It’s a far cry from something like Hearts of Iron or other crazy stats-based strategy games, and it really does a lot to hold your hand and let you choose where you want things to go.

Ultimately you’ll be more succesful through micro-management, but you’ll only lose 80% by letting the AI handle your cities, and following the basic research tips (I believe it’s military, economic, research and culture picks that you’re presented with each time).

Civ V is a great place to start. For a series veteran it’s pretty flawed at the moment, but it’s still good, solid fun, and you WILL want to see what happens next turn.

It’s really far too easy most of the time, so I’m anxiously awaiting the next expansion, which seems to add a bit of complexity to it. The multiplayer is completely shit (really really shoddy) so don’t get it for that.

Go for it though, this is not a game to be afraid of.

5. OlderGamer

Civ is a must have franchise. I agree with DSB, Civ V could use some work. But for folks new to the game, they prolly won’t notice that type of thing. If your even remotly interested, now is the time to try it. I bet by the time two hours have gone by your hooked. Then you will wonder how you managed to put a couple hundred on the game. On the franchise as awhole, I have spent thousands of hours playing. Not even a slight bit of a stretch either.

6. GrimRita