Quick shots – Where wolf? Thar wolf in Menace of the Underdark dungeon

Wednesday, 23rd May 2012 13:58 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Turbine has released a new set of screenshots for its DDO expansion, Menace of the Underdark. The shots depict Dryad Monsters from the Dryad Challenge in the Eveningstar region and images of combat in the Werewolf Dungeon in Eveningstar – one of the new regions players explore when entering the Forgotten Realms. Have a look below. The expansion laucnhes June 25.

1. YoungZer0

You know what we need more then anything? A videogame about werewolves. Not an RPG where you CAN be a werewolf, but only can be a werewolf. Why is there no White Wolf Werewolf Game yet?

2. Stephany Nunneley

I agree! I want a Werewolf: The Apocalypse VG. The 20th Anniversary Ed of the RPG game is supposed to come out this fall – but no one I know plays it anymore. :(

3. YoungZer0

And there’s my answer to why there is no White Wolf Werewolf Videogame. :P

Still, it would be nice to see some developer give it a try.

Vampires are so boring, yet we get some vampire (or vampire-inspired) videogame every now and then. I’ve yet to see an interesting implementation of werewolves in a videogame.

4. silkvg247

A game exclusively about werewolves eh. I read a book like that once.. can’t rememebr what it was called but it was awesome.

I’ll look into it, but can’t promise a AAA title ;p

5. YoungZer0

@4: A book about a videogame that has werewolves in it?

6. TheWulf

Gah. Don’t start talking about that…

I mean, the most interesting parts of White Wolf’s settings were things like Werewolf, Mage, Changeling, and so on. But everything keeps doing the effing vampires. It’s like how fantasy keeps coming back to the elves and bloody dwarves.

See, this is what I find irritating and depressing to the point of inducing deskflip-laden rage. We have these brilliant ideas out there and what do we do? We come back to the overly familiar ones.

I am going to say a thing now.

When I was younger, I had Fighting Fantasy books. They were more varied, more interesting, and generally more compellingly odd than anything we get in videogames today. I still remember the first time I played through the bizarreness of Creature of Havoc, and I was glued to the pages because I honestly didn’t know what was going on.

But these days it’s like… we have to know what we’re going to sit down in front of. It can’t challenge us at all. We can’t have weird fantasy settings, or the better parts of the White Wolf Universe, because that might SCARE THE LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR. It might take them out of their comfort zone.

Oh no. People might actually be exposed to something frickin’ interesting for a change. The horror. The horror.

I would honestly, genuinely throw good money at some of White Wolf’s better stuff, featuring all the aspects of their Universe. I mean, there’s even a Wild West version… a Wild West version, with Wild West werewolves, and shamans who can possess trains, and so on. It’s crazy! Why are we ignoring that?

Okay, if anyone out there with access to a White Wolf license is listening, Kickstart a proper WoD thing. It can either be oWoD, nWoD, or even Wild West WoD (which is so amazing). I don’t care. Just do it and I will throw money at it. And don’t focus on the bloody vampires. We’ve had enough vampires for a millennium, same with zombies, and elves and dwarves.

7. TheWulf

For those curious, just so you don’t think I’m making this up:

See? It exists! And it’s just brilliant.

Moar information.

8. TheWulf

Also, one other thing I wanted to comment on is that there are plenty of people playing Werewolf, but it’s just that it’s a niche rather than a huge thing which is accessible to lots of people. (Sometimes, striving for accessibility by making things as boring as possible is just a cancer. No, actually, strike that. It’s not sometimes, it’s always.)

There are people both offline and online getting groups together still for it, and they’re really an under-served niche. If a game was put together for them, I imagine it would sell quite well. Just don’t set your ambitions too high and make sure you get their attention.

This is what I’ve been talking about with smaller games targeted at demographics which are pretty much just waiting for a game that fits their interests to come along, and for some people that happens maybe once a decade. This is because the nature of accessibility has made things so boring and homogenised that the elements they wanted, the more off the beaten track elements, are no longer covered.

I mean, I look at gaming in the ’90s, both Western and Eastern, and I see a hell of a lot more variety than there is now. Why? Well, ur-game of course, but I won’t get into that so much. The problem is is that there are less and less small projects which are targeted at specific demographics. Therefore we don’t have the variety – but Kickstarter is proving that those demographics exist.

And Kickstarter is a safe way to find out whether that game about werewolves or whatever topic that isn’t THE MOST POPULAR THING EVER is actually popular enough to sell well. You can put together a pitch easily enough and find out how many people are willing to pay for something like that. So long as you can show people that you’re invested in making a game for them, they’ll respond accordingly.

And that’s a great idea, really. Making a game for a specific demographic, or at least having part of a game that targets a specific demographic. (I will use GW2 as a triple-A example of something that does this. Since it has beastmen that aren’t clueless tribals, and it has steampunk, and the beastmen are the provisioners of the highest end bits of tech in the world. And the charr have been popular, yes. Really popular. Maybe not as popular as the boring humans, or the bloody gnomes asura, but they still hit an under-served demographic. That demographic being fans of steampunk, fans of badass beastmen, and both.)

There are people out there that want all sorts of things, and whose chances of getting those things are next to nil these days. There are people out there who want more stuff like Werewolf: The Apocalypse, or Werewolf: The Wild West, don’t even doubt it. But it’s hard to tell because no one’s really looking to create something for them.

It’s a sad situation. But really, Kickstarter gives me hope.

9. YoungZer0

Can only agree with that. I mean Guild Wars 2 does something right here and i think more games should do this.

Let’s say a developer decides to create a new RPG, where you can choose different races and all that, why not simply switch the elves/dwarves with something else? Why not simply put werewolves there? That alone, that simple change, would set it apart. “Nope, no elves in our universe, sorry. Maybe.”

Just make it more than something you gain from a quest.