Diablo III sells 6.3 million LtD, 3.5 million in first 24 hours

Wednesday, 23rd May 2012 14:07 GMT By Johnny Cullen

A week on from its launch, Blizzard’s announced Diablo III has sold 6.3 million units lifetime-to-date and 3.5 million units sold in its first 24 hours on sale, becoming the fast-selling PC game ever.

Diablo III launch – By the numbers

Over 6.3 milllion copies have been bought LTD for the game, with 3.5 million sold in its first 24 hours.

4.7 million were playing the game by day one.

The launch means it’s the fastest-selling PC game ever.

The stats don’t include the 1.2 million who bought a WoW annual pass or those in Korean internet gaming rooms.

Diablo III’s day one figure is still less than the day one sales figures of the past three Call of Duty games, however.

Blizzard announced today Diablo III has sold 6.3 million units lifetime-to-date, with it selling 3.5 million units in its first 24 hours. The stats mean it has become the fastest-selling PC game of all time.

The day one figure doesn’t include the 1.2 million people who signed up for the World of Warcraft Annual Pass, which gave players a free copy of the game, or Korean internet game rooms. The latter has seen a 39% market share while in Korea as of yesterday.

In total, 4.7 million players were logged on by launch day.

While the first day numbers are still staggering, in comparison to ActiBlizz’s other big stable in Call of Duty, it’s still not quite there.

Modern Warfare 2 sold 4.7 million copies in its first day in the UK and US in 2009. A year later, Black Ops sold 5.6 million units on its launch day in the same regions. And last November, Modern Warfare 3 sold 6.5 million units in its opening day in Great Britain and America.

Nonetheless, Blizzard is still proud of the achievement announced today.

“We’re definitely thrilled that so many people around the world were excited to pick up their copy of Diablo III and jump in the moment it went live,” said Blizzard co-founder Mike Morhaime.

Morhaime acknowledged that internal preparations for the game wasn’t quite as prepared for launch, noting the server trouble that had occurred at release, but thanked players for their support.

“We also regret that our preparations were not enough to ensure everyone had a seamless experience when they did so,” he said. “I want to reaffirm our commitment to make sure the millions of Diablo III players out there have a great experience with the game moving forward, and I also want to thank them for their ongoing support.”

He continued: “Regarding today’s announcement, we recognize that setting a new launch record is a big achievement,” Morhaime continued. “However, we’re especially proud of the gameplay feedback we’ve received from players worldwide.

“We’re pleased that Diablo III has lived up to players’ high expectations, and we’re looking forward to welcoming more players into Sanctuary in the days ahead.”

Retail partners have also chimed in to congratulate the game’s success.

“Diablo III was one of our biggest PC launches ever and will help make this a record year for Blizzard at GameStop,” said SVP of merchandising at GameStop, Bob McKenzie.

Director of video games at Amazon.com, John Love, added: “Not only did Diablo III break the record for most preordered PC game of all-time on Amazon.com, but it also shattered the record for best day-one sales for any PC game ever on Amazon.com

1. DSB

Nailed it.

Now fix the fucking thing.

2. NoPizzaNoCry

and ATROCIOUS DIALOGUES.

3. Patrick Garratt

I’m fucking loving it, personally. Great news.

4. DSB

I gotta admit, it’s grown on me. The first act was pretty awful until the last bit, but playing the Torchlight II beta kinda brought home how much they’ve actually done to really detail the gameplay.

I found myself wanting to chain mobs together and bombard them with various runed deviousness, but couldn’t.

Not that Tochlight II is a bad game, it certainly has a lot of advantages in terms of choice, but I don’t feel it’s as detailed when it comes to the combat.

Either way, they really have to fix those server issues. It’s like every day is a new disappointment. Yesterday I was trying to kill Belial and having a hell of a time of it, and then I get the 15 minute server warning for maintenance…. And I was playing singleplayer. Come on now.

5. Erthazus

PC Gaming is DEAD! Officially.

6. sleaker

@4 – are Diablo III’s features and polish worth 3x more than Torchlight 2? Cause that’s what you paid for them, at the minimum (unless you got a WoW annual of course).

Personally I don’t see the value, especially when the game is still having issues.

7. DSB

@6 I don’t see why I’d ever have to choose? I’m gonna have both.

I don’t like D3′s price point, and I don’t like the always online system, but ultimately the game itself is quite solid, and that’s what I expect every time I buy a game, whether it’s 20 euro or 60 euro.

I don’t expect 20 euros worth of game, or 60 euros worth of game. I expect [Good Game].

I wouldn’t blame anyone for passing on D3, though. The issues are pretty annoying, and the pricetag does nothing to soften the blow.

On the other hand, I do feel like Torchlight II is hyped beyond what it can really support. I mean it is basically a tweaked Diablo II with WoW-meets-Shank graphics. It’s not a bad thing, but I don’t see it as this huge revelation.

Looking at something like Krater, both of those seem pretty antiquated to me.

8. Fin

What? No its not bro, these sales figures are really good.

People have voted with their wallets and say that only being able to play SP when connected to the internet is ok!

9. alterecho

Personally, i didn’t want this to happen. Any game with an always online DRM shouldn’t be encouraged even if the game is terrific.

10. YoungZer0

@8: God damn it, Fin. The sarcasm couldn’t be more obvious.

@9: Agreed. Let’s take a moment to thank all the people who bought it. Other publisher will look at this and think “Oh, we can do this too.”

11. JB

Lol @8

You`re in marketing arent you ^^

12. Old MacDonald

PC fail Blizzard bankrupt pirates losers et.c.

Sorry, I just noticed loki hadn’t posted here yet, and thought I’d save him the bother.

13. Maximum Payne

This shows that good product will always sell, no matter price,time,platform…

14. YoungZer0

@13: To me it just shows that some people have no principles.

15. GrimRita

That is some serious numbers. Now I can probably understand why the servers buckled. But only just understand! If are shipping around 8 million units and expect to sell 5-6 million, you should be prepared.

16. Erthazus

@13, Actually No. Good sales =/= good game.

It’s a matter of Brand and Marketing. That’s it. There are a lot of games that have 90+ on metacritic and they barely sold 1 million if 100K copies.

17. Da Man

Me no understand word ‘marketing’. Me mean ‘advertising’. Me russki moron.

Anyway, not surprising this piece of shit sold well. Brand plus hype. Wow, once in a decade one PC title sells well enough. PC is barely alive actually (aside from Pop Cap of course).

18. Maximum Payne

@16 Like what games ?

19. Kabby

Publisher faith makes PC gamers buy shit in a box if it has the right name on it.

20. endgame

And THIS is how the fight for a gamer’s basic rights dies, SOLD!.. for 60 hours of fun. Thank you to everyone who bought this game. You truly are the spark of humanity.

Fin is right.
    alterecho is right.
    YoungZer0 is right.
    MacDonald is funny. :)

P.S. vg247 you guys should implement a like/unlike system w/e you have time.

21. Phoenixblight

Blah blah blah slippery slope blah blah the industry is dead blah blah Blizzard sucks. Am I doing it right?

22. Kabby

23. drspaniel

It is a darn shame that they haven’t fixed the multiplayer yet, which is of course one of the biggest aspects of such a popular game… However, I am nevertheless still impressed by those sale figures!

I’ve bought by own copy from this amazing website http://www.allkeyshop.com/blog/digitaldownload, which I only had to pay $40 for instead of $70 which Amazon.com was charging!

24. TheWulf

Whatever floats your boat, I guess. I found it atrociously dismal, personally, but I guess people have different standards. I mean, when I was playing Torchlight II I got to fight ghost pirates on a ghost ship. And the combat looks something like this.

I was playing Diablo III and it looked like this. When I said that Diablo III distinctly had weird art direction (oddly colourful abilities which didn’t work set against such a desaturated backdrop), and when I said that it was barren and empty, I wasn’t just messing with you.

That’s why I can’t understand why Diablo III did so well. In my opinion (in my opinion), Diablo III looks worse than Diablo II did, and has less visual variety than Diablo II did. And both Diablo II and Diablo III don’t have the crazy levels of visual variety that Torchlight II has.

I mean, ghost pirates… ghost pirates. GHOST PIRATES.

Diablo III has me fighting some dull, shambling skeletons and similarly bored looking undead who seem completely uninterested in my fate. Whereas Torchlight II kept throwing all sorts of crazy at me, unending crazy. Just look at the videos I’ve linked.

Cognitive dissonance aside, I honestly found Diablo III to be drab, desaturated, dull, depressing, and flavourless. I genuinely found it to be depressing, because that’s how my mind works, I guess. I was going from one dingy area to another, from one poorly lit area to another, from one area that completely lacked in details to another. That’s just how I felt about it.

Yes, Torchlight II is more like a themepark’s rollercoaster, but at the same time it’s just a hell of a lot more fun, it feels less dead, and I actually enjoyed playing it. I didn’t get seriously depressed.

All I wanted from Diablo III was to show me why it wasn’t just a boring rehash of Diablo I & II smooshed together.

It couldn’t give me that.

And yet there it is, selling that much, despite being (in my opinion) a painfully boring game. And (factually) a game with control-freakish, broken DRM that stops people from playing the product they paid for. This is where I have a disconnect with a lot of gamers, really. Is it just that my expectations are a little higher? That I can’t be satisfied with a person running across a big, empty, dingy, barren field?

I don’t know.

Well, I hope you Diablo III people enjoy it. It’s not for me. I’ll be playing Torchlight II. You can have your shambling skeletons, I HAVE GHOST PIRATES. (Yes, I will belabour this point because ghost pirates are fucking awesome.)

25. fearmonkey

I tried to resist but a friend who I barely game with, and used to play the previous Diablo games with begged me to get so I did. Interestingly, the client I installed got set to europe somehow, and it wasn’t till I tried playing with a friend that I realized that, and set it to america. Yesterday, It defaulted to Europe and I couldn’t log in as they were doing maintenance, but I set it north America and got in.
    If one doesn’t work, you can play on the other, and lag wasnt bad for me at all. I think im going to re-install it or look for a ini file/registry entry with the setting though, its annoying that i have to check that.

26. GwynbleiddiuM

@7 both and Grim Dawn, HELL YEAH!!! Best year for hack n Slash RPGs, me gusta.

@25 why? you don’t have to do that it’s not region locked you’re only locked to a RMAH being EU, US or Asia. And it depends where did you downloaded the client from. eu.battle.net or us.battle.net, if you did it on eu you get the default EU thing. But you don’t need to re-install it.

27. loki

aaha liars
    do not forget that Diablo was unable to beat Max Payne
    wait for data from independent sources

28. albo88

a game optimized for a office pc is no surprise that will sell
    so yeah its shame to ask now for good graphic games and keep saying consoles are holding us back when the most popular sold games for pc are free to play with 2004 engine

29. GwynbleiddiuM

@27 Max Payne is a multiplatform title, while D3 is only on PC and Mac.

@28 Well not everything is about graphics, compared to Diablo 3, Torchlight 2 has a more simpler engine, yet we’re all are eager to play that. Eye candy much? Call of Duty series are using a variation and heavily reprogrammed id Tech 3 and they still sell millions, so what you’re saying – with all due respect – is utter horse crap I must say.

30. Phoenixblight

D3 has sold 2x more than Max Payne 3 in the first week so what he is saying is irrelevant and utter crap like his other posts.

31. DSB

@30 But it’s not out for PC yet. Once it is, it’ll sell three times more than it did on consoles.

Derp derp etc.

32. Phoenixblight

It came out yesterday for the PC so we’ll see. I expect both games doing well because its the summer hole and they don’t have any competition.

33. DSB

@32 It totally didn’t. It’s coming out June 1st in the US of A.

34. absolutezero

and June the 1st in the UK.

35. Phoenixblight

Oh going off of dated info. Allows D3 to have 2 more weeks. =-P

36. voxelman

@27 That was just the UK and only counting retail copies, a large part of Diablo III’s sales are digital so the real numbers including digital would have D3 way ahead of Max Payne 3.

37. freedoms_stain

@30, he was talking (I believe) about the UK charts in which Max Payne 3 was No.1 this week and Diablo 3 was No.2.

It’s still a bollocks conclusion, but that’s what he’s based it off.

38. Phoenixblight

#37 Yeah I was basing off the amount sold a few days ago.

39. albo88

#29 GwynbleiddiuM i don’t agree
    i have seen Call of Duty series on internet caffs slash gaming rooms in 3rd word country’s played at 1024×760 using a Pentium 4 and a gefroce 6200 agp so anyone can play it if they play it in Africa Philippine east Europe and so on
    so don’t come to me with that bullshit of variation and heavily reprogrammed id Tech 3 cos like i say it a office domestic pc have no problem handling it

40. sleaker

@7 Unfortunately, you and most likely many other people like you, are the reason why gaming prices continue to rise for big-name companies, when the actual value of the game is not reflected in the price.

I refuse to pay $60 for a game, when a competing product that costs a third of the price comes with better support, better connectivity, similar graphic quality, better replayability, and better moddability.

I can understand people buying it based on the brand name of the company which they perceive to still be worth something, but my own experience has shown that large AAA titles simply don’t have any of the value that they used to, and it’s the smaller companies, that do.

41. DSB

Me and people like me = The market.

I’m not going to decline a good game for the sake of saving 10 euros. Whether you like it or not, the publishers are going to win that one.

I realize that you think declining this sort of thing somehow makes you superior, but really, no one cares. Least of all the people making those games, and setting those prices.

Let’s be real here. Your pathetic either/or, black and white fanboy nonsense is just pointless ego masturbation, based on little more than the titanic effort, that it must be to jump on the smaller bandwagon, and sympathize with the smaller developer.

I do have several reservations about the game I bought, but then I have those about almost any game. Ultimately I’ve bought some decent entertainment, and I’m fine with that. I’m sorry that ruins your day, but again, your self-righteous pettiness is not going to change a thing.

We still get to make our own decisions, and have our own preferences, no matter what the internet hivemind might think of them. You have fun with that.

42. GwynbleiddiuM

@41 Awesome comment lvl 9000, agreed 110%.

43. Da Man

Call of Duty series are using a variation and heavily reprogrammed id Tech 3

so what you’re saying – with all due respect – is utter horse crap

Good one. EastEnders material right there.