Alert: PS3 Ghost Recon comes with 6.35Gb mandatory install

Wednesday, 23rd May 2012 08:51 GMT By Patrick Garratt

If you’re going to buy the PS3 version of Ghost Recon: Future Soldier this week, be ready to give up a chunk of hard disk: it’s comes with a 6.35Gb forced install.

If you’re going to buy the PS3 version of Ghost Recon: Future Soldier this week, you may want to be aware that it comes with a 6.35Gb mandatory install.

The Xbox 360 version require an install as well, although it’s noticeably smaller and, according to a note on the screen, is required for audio reasons.

The 360 install data doesn’t show as a storage file on the hard drive for some reason, so it’s not possible to see its size.

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier released in the US yesterday. It’s out in Europe this week.

1. Perfectionist

I never understood that, why does the PS3 force you to install but it’s always optional on the 360?

2. Ge0force

@1 The PS3 blu-ray drive is a bit slower than the x360′s DVD-player (but doesn’t make any noise) and Microsoft doesn’t allow mandatory installs because there are x360-consoles without harddrive.

But what I don’t understand is why some ps3 games need a huge mandatory install, while other ps3 games don’t need an install at all. Dark Souls and Uncharted are streamed from disc without long loading times.

3. NeoSquall

@2 Maybe the dev teams used different tools and techniques to develop their games.

4. kingofscotland

Uncharted loading is hidden behind cut scenes so the only loading you ever get is the initial load.

Naughty Dog = Smart Cookies

Others = Lazy

And yeah Microsoft don’t allow and Sony does, so to a certain extent Sony are responsible by leaving it up to devs.

I don’t mind the space being used it’s my time being used whilst it’s installing that I don’t.

I hate this mandatory install fo 5Gb/6GB or whatever to load up and find you have a patch you then need to download – Argh

Bring back the megadrive!

5. Hunam

I don’t mind large installs. I prefer them to be optional ideally, but I’d rather wait 20 mins or so the first time I play a game to have quick loads for the entire game.

6. KAP

@5 Eeeeeeeeexactly. Couldn of put it better mate.

7. DrDamn

This game should be right up my street but I was completely put off by the “beta”. First off stoopid Uplay account hoops to jump through before it would let me play. When that was sorted first game is lobby-tastic as we sit there waiting for more before everyone slowly leaves. Second game connected – started – no idea what controls are and no chance it invert look until in the game. They even disabled help on the menus – nice. Got killed once then game disconnected. Meh.

8. stretch215

Picked this (& dragons dogma) up on a whim yesterday and I’m really enjoying them both. The mp for ghost recon is fun, but punishing. I’m learning to tame my inner cod, and I’m getting better each game. @7 – If it’s any consolation, I’ve been playing without any trouble. Maybe you should give the game a go.

9. Hunam

Anyone tried the PC version yet?

10. DrDamn

Yeah maybe after a proper demo. Noticed it’s cropped up on PSN as a download title for £50 but with a 15% discount for PSN+.

11. SolomanAu

How about you all harden the fuck up and stop bitching about a piss poor 6 Gig install….wow I thought it was 2012???

12. pukem0n

i always install games on my xbox, so i dont think this is a big deal. same as swapping your dics once in a while. those are stupid things to get angry about

13. YoungZer0

@11: No body is bitching, you moron. All they did was ask “Why?”

14. Fantus

You do realize that on the back of the box of all PS3 games that require an install, there is a little notification that tells you the manditory required disk space?

Take a look, it’s there. Install size shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone. Unless they want to be suprised, I guess.