Video – XCOM: Enemy Unknown gets new gameplay

Tuesday, 22nd May 2012 13:00 GMT By Sam Clay

The pre-E3 rush is go. Head in for brand new HD gameplay footage of 2K’s XCOM: Enemy Unknown and a video interview with Firaxis producer Pete Murray.

The video above shows footage from the later levels of XCOM. New stuff includes all-new ‘jet pack’ armour, sentry turrets and a rather tasty laser rifle capable of sinking foes in one shot. You’ll also see some scene-setting elements, with Germany getting attacked by a mysterious force.

The E3 trailer – we’re still awaiting it – contains a brief cameo from the messiah himself, well, Sid Meier. He’s capable of mind-control.

XCOM Enemy Unknown releases on 360, PS3 and PC on October 9 in the US and October 12 in the UK.

1. Edo

Looks good I just wish he didn’t spoil some of the things from the beginning of the game.

2. DSB

I get the sense that it’s gonna be a bit “X-Com lite”, but it looks great for what it wants to do.

I just wish it wasn’t connected to the other XCom. That game has it all wrong, and this one will be forced to have some things wrong by association.

3. Blandock

#1 Yeah, that sucks. He didn’t need to tell every detail.

4. Sam Clay

@1 & @3 – Sorry to sound like a buffoon, what was spoilt for you guys?

5. Edo

@4 The part 1:47-2:14.

6. Sam Clay

@5 Thanks for pointing that out – Should mention that’s the game’s tutorial, Pete goes on to explain perma-death, it’s basically teaching you that in the opening mission.

Appreciate you replying on this tho :)

7. Edo

@6 To be honest I don’t mind the perma-death tutorial part but the fact “that a survivor was controlled by the alien” was something that I would have rather find out on my own.