Blizzard “dedicated to doing everything” to stop Diablo III hacks

Tuesday, 22 May 2012 07:34 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Blizzard has said its currently “dedicated” to stop accounts tied to Diablo III being hacked.

The company has priors in this area with World of Warcraft expansions, but said it would do its part to keep player accounts on safe.

“Historically, the release of a new game — such a World of Warcraft expansion — will result in an increase in reports of individual account compromises, and that’s exactly what we’re seeing now with Diablo III,” it said in a statement to Joystiq.

“We know how frustrating it can be to become the victim of account theft, and as always, we’re dedicated to doing everything we can to help our players keep their accounts safe — and we appreciate everyone who’s doing their part to help protect their accounts as well.”

Despite the vow, Joystiq cites sources that claim thousands of accounts were hacked last year with very little done to stop the outside interference.

For now, Blizzard is advising the usage of an Authenticator through its own keychain brand or an iOS or Android app.