UK charts: Max Payne 3 pips Diablo 3 to number one

Monday, 21st May 2012 09:28 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Max Payne 3 has beaten Diablo III to the number one spot in this week’s UK charts.

The gap between the two games was by 8,000 units.

It’s the first number one for the Payne series, making a return eight-and-a-half years after the Remedy-developed Max Payne 2, with MP3 outselling MP2 by a figure of 10-1. It’s also the biggest launch of this year so far, beating Mass Effect 3.

On a platform breakdown, a majority of sales for Max went to Xbox 360 at 58%, while the remaining 42% are on PS3. The PC version releases next Friday in the UK.

The Blizzard RPG will have to settle for second behind the Rockstar shooter, despite becoming the 12th biggest PC launch in the UK ever and selling more than the past two Football Manager games.

Last week’s number one Sniper Elite V2 falls to four behind FIFA Street, while FIFA 12 rounds off the top five.

Full top ten for the week ending May 19 is below. Last week’s data is here.

• 1 – Max Payne 3
  • 2 – Diablo III
  • 3 – FIFA Street
  • 4 – Sniper Elite V2
  • 5 – FIFA 12
  • 6 – Prototype 2
  • 7 – Modern Warfare 3
  • 8 – Battlefield 3
  • 9 – Assassin’s Creed: Revelations
  • 10 – Mario and Sonic at the London Olympics

1. merseymal

I suspect a lot more than 8,000 copies of Diablo III were bought directly from Blizzard and aren’t included in the sales figures for the chart.

2. YoungZer0

Glad to see a good game taking the spot.

3. Judicas

And I suspect dramatically more then 8,000 copies were given out “free” via Annual Pass.

4. voxelman

so in other words including digital Diablo III outsold Max Payne 3 on PS3/360 combined. Add in the no console cert costs and Diablo 3 likely made a lot more money, especially as digital copies are only brought direct from Blizzard so they get 100% of the price.

5. daytripper

Both games are doing well so who cares? Congrats to both.

6. GrimRita

If you look at the chart, it just shows how stale it is. Not really a shock that these two both entered in the top 2 spots. And Diablo 3 probably out sold Max Payne 3 with those digital purchases.

7. Da Man

Wow, I don’t want a single video game from that list.

8. loveaya

The reason is that many of the players have chosen to buy Diablo 3 digital version~

9. Christopher Jack

I have Revelations which I still have yet to complete, bought Prototype 2 but still waiting on arrival, intend to eventually purchase BF3 & am interested in Max Payne 3.

10. viralshag

Max Payne is so far really good. I’m just about to start the second disc later in between bouts of more Diablo lootiness.

11. AHA-Lambda

Kinda disappointed to see MP3 come out on top personally, I was so disappointed with it :(

12. viralshag

@11, Out of interest, what didn’t you like about it? I like the story so far up to the end of disc one and I like the look of the first 5 mins of disc two…

I do have some gripes though, the fuzzy effects during the talking/story portions are getting a little annoying and actually give me bit of a headache haha. But the dialog that pops up, voice acting and script is pretty fantastic.

Sometimes there’s a little too much non-interaction during some scenes but I can live with it. So far it’s above LA: Noire and below RDR for me.

13. AHA-Lambda

@12 – my biggest problem was that I just generally didn’t find it a satisfying experience to play, and in fact a little infuriating. It just doesn’t seem anything like a max payne game and was closer to an Uncharted or Gears game but with slow-mo. If you play this game like a normal Max Payne game you will fail.
    By the end the shit ending didn’t even bother cos I was just glad to have finished it.

14. viralshag

@13, Ok I can see that, yeah. I’m playing on hard and I am using cover a fair bit and I didn’t really think about Uncharted or Gears until you mentioned it but yeah, like I said, I can see the resemblance.

I wouldn’t know how to play this like a “normal Max Payne game” though so maybe I don’t have enough reference to make a decent comparison.

I can’t say I’m overly thrilled from what I have seen in the MP so far.

15. AHA-Lambda

@14 – i’ve not even played the MP, I have no interest in it.

I take it you’ve not played MP1 and 2 then? MP1/2 were sooo much fun in their OTT John Woo slow-mo, shoot-dodging epicness :)
    You can do that in MP3 but you will just fail miserably if you do; and heck i was playing on normal =/

It’s when a game disappoints me this much, personally, that I’m glad I tend to rent most of my games nowadays.

16. viralshag

@15, Well I do have MP1 & 2 on the PC as I also bought the game on PC thinking it was out on the 15th or whatever until I realised it was in June :/

So I might go back and give them a go once I’m done with D3 and MP3.

I was trading in a few games and MP3 only cost me £4 and I was tired or waiting to play it. I’m going to trade in the 360 version I have when it unlocks on PC.

17. TheWulf

Wait, they took the OTTness out of Max Payne 3? Well then…

It just goes to show that marketing sells a game, not being a good game. Everyone by this point has come around to the fact that Diablo III is an incredibly mediocre and broken game. Not bad, but simply mediocre and broken. Between the DRM, the washed out palettes, and the samey gameplay, pretty much every commentator I’ve heard on Youtube has been panning it. It’s really only Diablo in name.

And Max Payne sounds like they just went GTA lite with it and ignored everything that made it Max Payne. The OTTness that had you diving around and doing action filmy things in a cheesy film noir storyline is what made Max Payne what it was. Take away that, and it’s only Max Payne in name.

So, what’s the secret to success?

Buy a well known name, make a tremendously average game, and then market the fuck out of the name. People will buy it in droves.

I’m personally glad I bought neither, so no buyer’s remorse for me. It sucks for the people who were suckered in by the big names, though, doesn’t it? But maybe they’ll think twice before being suckered in by big names in the future.

No, no they probably won’t. That’s just naive of me.

18. viralshag

Ah yes, Youtube commentators, Metacritic user score and your own imagination… the true voice of gamers around the world speaks once more.

Well I bought both (one of them twice) and have no buyers remorse (unlike my feelings on GW2). Tell me again, what experience of either game are you basing this on?

19. ManuOtaku

Iam surprised that Sniper elite is in number 4 position,after two strong tittles coming the prior week, great thing kudos to that, i will pick it as soon as i have some spare money to spend, the thing is that all hope is not lost yet, because funny games that are not based on the game alone,and that deliver a fresh idea, and that do this good, really proves that there is still a little, tiny bit of hope and/or light in the end of the darkest tunnel.

20. sb319

@17 Spoken like a person who has not played Max Payne 3. It’s fantastic, and you don’t know what you’re talking about.

21. viralshag

@17, Do you know what misinformation does?

It makes you look like the town idiot, the kind of drunken moron you find on a street corner spewing out endless conspiracy theories.

22. daytripper

“tremendously average game” lol after a few hours playing the game I came to the conclusion that it is much better than some of the utter shit that has topped our charts over the years.

23. ManuOtaku

#21 I will not argue if the commenter, the one you are refering the previous comment, has a point or holds some water, and my comment will not have any point in this particular discussion, but do you realize that is not the fault of the drunken moron on the street who is shouting endless conspiracy theories, the fault is in the people that has and or hold the information, but for some reason or another, which can be in itself a conspiracy, they decide to not comment or instead deny antyhing with any solid investigations/proofs, therefore my point is dont attack the people that shouts, attack that people that shut their mouth, they are the ones with most fault in that, they give oxigen to the flame of conspiracy theories alive.

24. viralshag

@23, I was actually just quoting some of his own words to be honest. ;)

I prefer open discussion about subjects, whether or not the person starting the conversation is in the right or wrong. But some people on here talk as if they are speaking for the masses and often as if their viewpoint or opinion is actual fact. And some people, are simply delusional.

Often it is a difference of opinion. I like to think that I’m not patronising or rude, unlike some, when I comment or talk to others on this site.

25. ManuOtaku

#24 ah sorry then, i didnt knew, never mind

26. Da Man

Some people need to check themselves and discover the meaning behind the mysterious word ‘marketing’ before they urinate all over video game website comment sections.

27. Derpy

Quote below pretty much sums up this article. Quote source is from: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/5150759166?page=1#15

—————————————

By what I see… Max Payne 3 on CONSOLES “outsold” Diablo 3 on PC….

Also, Max Payne 3 is not out in the UK for PC yet according to the article…

A game that is releasing on multiple platforms will always outsell releases on a single platform because its the size difference between the target audiences. It’s a bad comparison when you compare companies who develop a game for multi-platform use to companies who develop games for a single platform.

Only horrible websites and writers don’t see this flaw when writing articles for attention and traffic to fool the silly people who just read the headline and skim the article.

Also, before someone tries to twist this into a troll fan statement: no I don’t own either of those games.

—————————————

28. Da Man

Halo 3…

Yeah.

29. t4nzkie

MP3 was really great, i just finished it now. This game is really worth buying :)