Video – Project Copernicus world fly-through

Saturday, 19th May 2012 13:32 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

38 Studios has released a video for Project Copernicus showing a fly through of the game’s world. Yesterday, the governor of Rhode Island said during a press conference the game would release in June next year.

1. Sini

has a Vanguard vibe to it

2. TheWulf

It really does, and that’s not a thing to celebrate because Vanguard was best at putting people to sleep with how boring it was. The one redeeming feature of Vanguard was the card game, and that was it. As for the world the players inhabited… awful.

The problem here is that it’s just so boring.

It’s really a great example of genre purism, but really, at this point I wish I had a time machine so I could go back and assassinate the fantasy writers who’ve left us stuck in this rut. And we are in a creative rut. The cutscenes for various RPGs around the Playstation2 era managed to inspire me and make me feel something far more than this could ever hope to. I don’t know why, but I look at this and I feel… nothing.

The intro for Skies of Arcadia did more for me than this did. It’s just so lacking in any emotion. Yes, the locations are pretty, but it’s a dead civilisation kind of pretty… there’s no soul to it. Just like there wasn’t with Amalur, which was my primary problem there. Amalur was a tremendously dull game because of its genre purist setting.

But yes, even with its limited graphics, Skies of Arcadia managed to be so much more compelling. See for yourself. The problem is, really, that they’re forgetting the romance of advance, and how could you? Anyone can create a series of pretty locations, and you get those in Second Life, even. But it essentially feels like Second Life in that there’s nothing else there. This was the same thing I got from the Amalur trailers.

The animated intro to Grandia was something that really made me sit up in my seat. Even this fan video of Uru Live does a better job at selling a world than this trailer does.

Why are you so… so… monotonously, vapidly, exasperatingly bromidic and mundane, 38 studios? Good grief.

I would like to like their stuff, but it’s just…

There’s nothing there for me to like.

The whole point of an RPG is to capture the romance of adventuring in a world that is not our own, and as pretty as your locations might be, if you don’t actually understand that, then you’ve failed before you begun.

3. TheWulf

Going to talk more!

Do you see that wall in the intro to Grandia? That brings up so many memories. See, that is a ridiculously high wall, and it’s a wall that no one yet had built a flying machine that could actually climb high enough to pass it. Because of this, people believed it to be the world’s end, that there was nothing beyond it, as it went forever into the sky.

Grandia was about a lot of things, but most of all the goal was to scale that wall and find out what was beyond it. At the very end of the intro they’re actually standing atop the wall, and you don’t learn about this until half way into Grandia. And it adds so much worth to it in that they had something there like that.

And that’s a great sense of adventure. I feel that an RPG should really be able to convey to a person the sense of being in another world, and of wanting to explore that world. Pretty locations don’t do that, not alone. You have to have some really unusual hooks in there, and you have to have a great storyteller. You have to have a sense of whimsy, imagination, and creativity. Otherwise your world is as boring as the one we live in and no one wants that.

I guess I’m just fed up with this genre purism that plays it oh so, so, so safe and boring. So safe. So boring.

On the flipside, of course, this is why I hype Guild Wars 2 so much. It does a lot more in the way of giving me something unique that I’d actually want to explore. Rather than “Oh look, it’s stereotypically pretty textbook fantasy location #1,372. It even has bendy trees! YOU CAN’T BE FANTASY WITHOUT RIDICULOUSLY AND INEXPLICABLY BENDY TREES.”

Just no.

(I do realise that genre purism is the fantasy ur-game and that they’re going after the most sales. But that doesn’t mean that I can’t be absolutely sick to the gills of it. It’s like how some people are fed up of third-person shooters going after cover-based stuff believing that to be the ur-game in that genre. And some people are just sick of cover-based games. I’m sick of genre purism in fantasy RPGs. There are more interesting settings out there!)

4. ultramega

I know nothing about this game, but I have to say, the music is fucking enchanting.

5. HauntaVirus