Quick quotes – David Cage is “not that interested in technology” or next-gen

Friday, 18th May 2012 16:08 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

“To be honest, I’m not that interested in technology or the next generation of consoles. If we could continue with PlayStation 3 for another five years it would be fine with me. Are there technical things I can’t do on PS3? Honestly, no. The limitation is much more about the ideas we have. When you look at the past, you realised that the technology evolved must faster than the concepts we rely on. As an industry we have pretty much have been building the same games for fifty years, despite the platforms changing.” – Quantic Dream’s David Cage to Develop.

1. Gheritt White

GFX or GTFO

2. kingofscotland

Quiet David, someone from Sony might hear you, I can wait til Xmas 2013 or early 2014 no later.

3. xxJPRACERxx

And Bill Gates said 640 KB of RAM was enough…

4. Erthazus

True David. You are correct.

If only your Heavy Rain could run for at least 30 frames per second.

5. Deacon

I 110% agree with Mr Cage. You’re all clamouring for better graphics but they’ll still be the same old games.

Graphics count for nothing without style. They also count for nothing when you have a shitty game.

When have you heard a dev saying ‘oh well we wanted to do this but were limited by the hardware’? [This gen I mean, and I'm not talking about fps or fancy effects, I'm talking GAMEPLAY]

6. Phoenixblight

I think David and his studio has a pretty good engine that will scale with next gen so that’s good for them. Now they have to focus on actual gameplay and not stick with the interactive movie genre.

7. xxJPRACERxx

@5 RAM is a big limitation for current-gen. There’s a lot of gameplay sacrifice that as to be made because of it. There’s also entire genre that can’t be made at all, like big scale strategy games and sims.

Gameplay on the PS2/Xbox was not really different from what we have now but I’m glad I have a PS3/360 because it make a lot of difference. When the PS4/NextBox will be out too, I’m sure you’ll stop playing with your current consoles.

Current-gen is supposed to be about HD graphics but 95% of the games are sub-hd with full of jaggies. Playing a PC game and then playing the same game on console is a HUGE difference.

8. Stewox

I registered just for this one:

Totally agree with #7 … this is the main issue and main unknown variable we are speculating over at neogaf and nintendo community sites for the upcoming WiiU hardware.

We are basically trembling over if it’s going to be 1.5 GB or lackluster 1GB or even 2GB, nobody believes they could go beyond 2GB, so that’s with our expectations and investigative speculation the max. The 1.5 GB seems okay and fine, but 1GB it pretty lackluster if they want to compete in the long-term, the games would not be any better if all there is to it was snatched by resolution and better textures, then what leaves the resoures to expand the games and other effects that need memory, adding to the fact there’s another screen to be displayed!

And I totally agree about the current gen “hd” notions, bwahaha that’s the biggest sillyness how people can call it HD just because it’s 720p, resolution doesn’t matter if the textures are crap. The term HD is a pretty abused one, a mainstream buzzword that doesn’t mean anything.

It outh to mean “high definition” … well I can call high definition almost anything. There’s pretty much no other point than being a marketing word, the term is too rough and it points to some totally unrelated TV standards such as “1080p video”.

The term high definition is pretty relative therefore is pretty useless technically, N64 graphics are high-definition compared to NES … etc

I really don’t like these confusing marketing buzzwords.

9. Kuwabara

Lots of ram, advance ai, physics, is the only thing that is needed for next gen to transcend gaming to new levels. Imagine fallout 4 with uncharted 3 graphics with no graphical compromises and setbacks like freezes, framerate issues, poor textures etc. We need lots of ram and processing power!!