Blizzard apologises for Diablo 3 launch server problems

Thursday, 17th May 2012 06:07 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Blizzard has apologised to frustrated Diablo III players struggling to log-in to the game, and outlined the steps and preparations it has made to correct the problems – including a delay to the game’s Auction House.

In a statement addressed to players, Blizzard displayed a sense of humour about the embarrassing situation, thanking fans for their enthusiasm and bemoaning the “mortal infrastructure” which has let down the “crusade”.

“Despite very aggressive projections, our preparations for the launch of the game did not go far enough,” the developer admitted.

Blizzard believes it has ironed out most of the bugs now with some hasty “optimizations”, although it promises to monitor the situation, enact maintenance, and has delayed the launch of the Auction House for the time being.

Unfortunately, the team hasn’t found a resolution for the achievements issue yet.

See the full statement below.

Diablo Players:

We’d like to extend a very sincere thank you to everyone who joined the global Diablo III launch celebrations this week, as well as to everyone who was ready to jump into Sanctuary the moment the game went live.

To that end, we’d also like to say that we’ve been humbled by your enthusiasm — and we sincerely regret that your crusade to bring down the Lord of Terror was thwarted not by mobs of demons, but by mortal infrastructure. As many of you are aware, technical issues occurring within hours after the game’s launch led to players experiencing error messages and difficulty logging in. These issues cropped up again last night for the Americas and Europe servers. Despite very aggressive projections, our preparations for the launch of the game did not go far enough.

We’ve been monitoring the game 24/7 and have applied several optimizations to help our systems better weather the global rush. As of late last night, specifically 11:50 PM PDT on May 15, all systems have been online and running relatively smoothly. We’re continuing to monitor performance globally and will be taking further measures as needed to ensure a positive experience for everyone. This includes some maintenance to implement additional improvements for each region.

In order to make sure everything is continuing to run as it should, we’ve decided to move out our target launch for the real-money auction house beyond our original estimated date of May 22. We’ll post further updates on that in the near future.

Aside from the tremendous number of players simultaneously logging in to the game, one of the launch-day service issues was linked to the achievement system. Some players began to notice early on that achievements were either not being earned properly, or not being saved between multiple logins. We’re investigating this issue and will provide a specific update as soon as possible.

We greatly appreciate everyone’s support, and we want to sincerely apologize for the difficulties many of you encountered on day one. Please visit the Battle.net Support site or Support forums for the latest service-related updates or for help in troubleshooting any technical issues you may be having downloading, installing, or while playing the game.

Thank you again for your patience while we reinforce the gates of Sanctuary and further strengthen it for your onslaught.

Respectfully,

Blizzard Entertainment.

1. Patrick Garratt

Still not getting friend invites, though.

2. noherczeg

@1 WOW, really? :O

Since yesterday what I noticed is that I can now log in anytime, but it lags like hell at times. So yeah, at least it’s playable :)

3. Patrick Garratt

I’ve got no problem playing it at all, but I can’t seem to co-op because we can’t friend each other. All a bit odd. I did a quick Google last night and it’s a common problem, apparently.

4. Mineral4r7s

Thank god they turned Diablo 3 into a F2P MMO and everyone is happy about that.

5. Erthazus

For me it’s not lagging, for me it’s random disconnect bullshit. But the problem is not even there. The major problem is in their stupid CHECKPOINT system.

@3, Pat i sent you a friend request yesterday. My profile recognized your id Tag and my account still waiting for a reply.

6. Fin

I’d an issue where I wasn’t able to see characters I’d created on my Mac on my PC and vice versa – turned out they were set to different regions, d’oh!

7. endgame

“Blizzard “did not go far enough” prepping Diablo III servers” Really Blizzard? What gave it away? After all you had such awesome launch parties and such a flawless game launch. Keep at it. Most players won’t care w/e happen. They are too rich too.

8. Llewelyn_MT

Playing D3 on Hardcore with this occasional lag truly is hardcore.

9. viralshag

@pat, have you checked your server region in the account settings? My mate was having the same problem, when he checked for some reason it had defaulted to the US servers and not EU…

10. Patrick Garratt

@9 – I’ll look now.

11. Patrick Garratt

Yeah. I was on the Americas. I’ve changed it now.

12. Patrick Garratt

And now I can’t use my witch doctor. God.

13. TheBlackHole

Wow, this game sounds like a thrilling experience.

the bugs and quirks are like a meta-game unto themselves!

14. Yoshi

@13 I know right! Sounds amazing :P

I was tempted to get this game now but I think for the moment I’ll wait a month :)

15. rewindz07

Anyone here got some extra guest pass? Can you spare me one pls? Thanks!

16. DSB

Fair game to issue an apology, but like TheBlackHole says, it’s pretty much become a joke at this point.

It’s not a great way to portray the whole always online scheme, and if Blizzard can’t pull it off, I don’t see who can.

17. The_Red

I think the reason behind most of problems is that “Always-Online” thingy wasn’t an early design decision as Bliz/Acti have said. It was a publisher mandate enforced halfway through the game and it shows.

If the code was meant for online from day one, it wouldn’t have such problems for people behind a huge MMO like World of WarCraft.

18. Ireland Michael

@12 If it’s anything like their previous game then characters and such are region specific.

@15 Nobody will care within a week.

@17 You mean that MMO that had numerous staggering problems at launch for almost a year in regards to its servers and stability, and which almost always gets overloaded to capacity and beyond, lagging and crashing sporadically… *every* single time a new expansion comes out?

The funny thing is that people Blizzard should have “expected” this when the reality is that these kind of issues are actually par for the course when it comes to Blizzard. Not a criticism, just a fact – the vast majority of other companies would have been completely crippled under the pressure their servers are presently under, and they employ some of the best servers in the world.