PS4 mentioned on resume of SCEA software engineer

Wednesday, 16th May 2012 18:23 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

In other resume news today, a manager of software engineering at SCEA, has apparently been working on the “voice chat library for PlayStation 4.” The LinkedIn profile was dug up by Superannuation, who is apparently on a role today. It could be a typo. It could not. Prior work on Sony systems include: audio input and output libraries for PlayStation 3, developed voice chat libraries for PlayStation Vita, and investigated new audio technologies. Sony has yet to announce a PS3 follow up, but it’s been rumored for ages as being in development under the codenamed Orbis.

1. Yoshi

Do these companies not get their employees to sign a disclosure saying if they do anything like this or leak anything they can be slapped in the face?

2. Phoenixblight

Yes and what will happen in this case is the guy will be blacklisted from the game industry so if he is trying to get out of that industry then he has succeeded. In some cases the companies put penalties for committing such an act like not getting their royalties and bonuses.

3. Gama_888

@2 Reallyy?? even for little slips like this?
    Seems terrible that he would lose his job just for updating his CV :/

4. Phoenixblight

Game industry is built upon IPs so if you can sign a NDA you don’t make slips like these. THe industry doesn’t mess around with this stuff because it could mean losing profit.

5. Kabby

There’s going to be a Playstation 4?

And people are writing software for it?

MEGATON.

6. Razor

Guarantee within two hours it’ll be changed to PS3…

7. ManuOtaku

Iam not a lawyer or pretend to be one, but if the company was the first to mention the existence of the PS4, that wouldnt nulify the disclosure for that especific term, or at least it prohibit the company for taking legal actions?.

8. Phoenixblight

I am just saying what would happen if a person breaks the NDA with the company not in this specific case just a “what if” he had spoken about it before getting in contact with his lawyer about the NDA he has signed.

9. Fin

To say someone wuld be fired for a slip like this is ridiculous.

If you deliberately leaked information, maybe.
    A mistake? Nope.

“what will happen in this case”

Sounds like you were talking about this specific case.

10. Phoenixblight

I wasn’t being specific but what I had meant is “what will happen in this case” if the person had spoken about something without first looking over his NDA with a lawyer.

“To say someone wuld be fired for a slip like this is ridiculous.”

This would not be a slip you have to first write out your resume and you have to read it before you post along with checking with your lawyer if you don’t you are a bigger moron. You don’t specify anything that was related to the NDA not even hint towards what you had done. These NDA’s are not general they get down to explicit details about what you can and can’t talk about so there are no accidents.

11. datass

Annnnnd its gone…

Update the article please

12. osric90

No PS4 till 2014.

13. Fin

You’re really overblowing NDAs. People who make mistakes like this don’t go “Oh, yeah, I’m working on [insert secret project here], I’ll put that on my resume…now I’ll pass it to my lawyer…now he’s ok with it I’ll put it online”, they go “Must update my Linkedin with what I’m working on”. To say that developers get a lawyer to check their CVs is, quite frankly, one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever heard said about the games industry.
    All work is covered by a single NDA. Super secret stuff might have a second NDA, but that’s as far as it goes. The single NDAs are very general – “You may not disclose anything deemed by The Company to be Secret”.

14. Phoenixblight

As I work with a studio and have signed 2 variations of an NDA one being General and another being specific to the project I am working on not to mention that I have worked in Cisco R&D manufacturing and also did a stint in the military which also has a form of an NDA. I can speak with experience. I have seen people get shit canned because of them leaking information whether it was a mistake or not it doesn’t matter. The game industry sells ideas and to lose an idea to a competitor could destroy your company.

“You may not disclose anything deemed by The Company to be Secret”. Thats where the lawyer comes in as what is deemed to be secret and what isn’t. Its the reason why this person had removed it off his Resume because he was in the wrong.

15. ultramega

AHAHAHA. This is what his resume reads now:

- Maintained voice chat library for PlayStation 3 (Calm down, it was just a typo)

16. Fin

I too work in a studio (thought it’s in the UK) and a) have never heard of anyone being fired for being an idiot/accidently leaking information, b) have never heard anyone even mention a lawyer, outside of the legal department and c) have not signed any sort of NDA other than my contract.
    If you went an gave a competitor design documentation, first playable video/demos, pitch meetings, sure you’d be fired. This guy let slip that HOLY SHIT SONY ARE MAKING ANOTHER PLAYSTATION STOP THE FUCKING PRESSES. He’s a dumbass, that’s all.

No, it’s “You may not disclose anything deemed by The Company[1] to be Secret[2]“, where [1] The Company you work for; [2] Anything that hasn’t been publicly announced. Anyone who needs a lawyer to tell them what their NDA applies to, instead of using common fucking sense, is also an idiot.
    The reason he removed it from his resume is because he’s an idiot and shouldn’t have put it there in the first place.

17. Fin

Just a point on the guy’s use of language, the direction quote was “Maintained voice chat library for PlayStation 4″. Right under that, he had “Developed voice chat libraries for PlayStation Vita”. Looks like a typo to me, seeing as PS4 isn’t actually released, he wouldn’t be “maintaining” the code, he’d be “developing” it.