Diablo 3: you can’t log-in and you shouldn’t care

Wednesday, 16th May 2012 06:34 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Diablo III’s servers are still down this morning after patchy service yesterday, but don’t let teething troubles spoil one of the year’s most deserving games, says Patrick Garratt.

Go to the Blizzard forums and post about how Diablo III’s downtime allowed you to reconnect with those closest to you, greatly fulfilling your life and helping you become a generally better person.

It was inevitable. More than 2 million people pre-ordered Diablo III for its launch yesterday, and many more attended over 8,000 midnight release events. The weight of traffic instantly killed the game’s servers, prompting “error 37″ to stop many logging in, and there’s a message on the check-in screen this morning, in the EU at least, that says the game’s offline and thanks for being patient. We should be back up by 11.45pm PST.

The backlash is tedious this time. Anyone who’s been playing online games for any length of time will know that the first few days of any popular release are going to be patchy. And after waiting for nearly 12 years for a full sequel to Diablo II, a beloved PC game by all accounts, it’s not hard to understand why Blizzard is struggling to make everything work properly. Play was intermittent yesterday, but many were levelling for hours. One guy even finished it. It’s not as if it wasn’t there; Blizzard just needs to do some fiddling so millions of people can play it at once without a smoking hole being left where the company’s Irvine campus currently stands. This could take hours, or even a couple of days.

Here’s five things you could be doing while Blizzard’s trying to make their most amazing addition to the action-RPG genre bulletproof.

1. Shut up. Seriously, stop whining. Making this stuff work for a rush of millions is verging on rocket science. It happens for pretty much every major online game – including Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3 – and you should be used to it by now. Just be patient and let Blizzard fix it. Save your bile for something that actually matters, like the fact you have little chance of achieving your life goals because you can’t stop playing computer games.
  2. Make a cup of tea. Microsoft suggested PS3 owners should spend the time GTA IV took to install on the console to make some tea, and it’s not a bad piece of advice. Everyone loves tea. Try a herbal variety, something soothing like camomile. Inhale the flowery vapours and feel your entitlement rage dissipate with the rising of the morning sun.
  3. Take some exercise. That’s right. Stop sitting there repeatedly trying, and failing, to get a game, get off your ass and go for a walk. Maybe break into a run. Use the time and head space to formulate class strategies and daydream about the sheer joy of finally getting a link to Blizzard’s servers and moving nothing but your eyes and fingers for about 300 hours as you click yourself to demon-busting fame. Get back, have a shower, try, and fail, to log-in again, smile happily and say, “It’s fine! I’m sure it’ll work later!”
  4. Do some work. Radical, yes, but doing some work while you’re waiting for Blizzard to engineer one of the largest game projects yet created will make you feel better about your life. Write something. Build something. Dig something in the garden. Organise something. Pay some tax. Make a todo list and do some of it. As you cross off the items you’ll feel your anxieties fall away, making it less likely for you to behave like a child on the internet and have a cry over the fact you may have to wait a little while before you can play a video game.
  5. Spend some time with your family. Fucking madness, obviously, but use this time positively by reading to your kids, or sitting down and having a chat with your mum, or helping your dad wash the car, or cooking something nice for your spouse. Stun family members by speaking to them in coherent sentences. Look them in the eye and tell them you love them. Give them a hug. Then go to the Blizzard forums and post about how Diablo III’s downtime allowed you to reconnect with those closest to you, greatly fulfilling your life and helping you become a generally better person.

Do all that. Then when you’re finally able to get a game of Diablo III, you’ll feel happy you had to wait. Turn that frown upside-down, soldier. You’ll be murdering Hell’s happy bastards before you know it, and you’ll feel all the better for it when you are.

1. Talkar

Can i go to work if i don’t want to do any of the above activities? Please x)

2. Bane Williams

My problems are simple.

Firstly, this is a game that should have had an offline component from the start. If it did, I would have been like ‘oh, server maintenance for over half your launch day, I’ll just play solo’. Problem solved. Am I annoyed that there is no Single Player? Not overly, and I understand their reasons for excluding it, but needless to say this was a problem.

Getting server load right should have been easy. Why? They had stress tested the Beta and had launch experience with a similar number of customers before.

The truth is, Diablo 3 has been unavailable for over half its launch day. Launch day is the biggest sales day for a title, and Diablo 3 is one of the biggest titles in a long while. Technically, Blizzard are likely happy because customers won’t be able to return their retail box copy and have it traded in, as it’s an online only game. Which is at least one of the reasons they pushed for online only.

But I’m not overly angry about the launch, merely ambivalent. I also know that one of the group I was playing with was experiencing pings between 200 and 3000 ms, and we isolation tested the router and made sure no other processes were using his connection. It will be interesting to see if this is fixed.

And little chance of reaching my life goals? Unfortunately, my life goals entail writing about videogames, and guess what? That’s what I do.

3. Malmer

You are right, except that this isn’t just an online game. It is a single player game. Without the need for connectivity for anything orher than drm.

4. Logic Incarnate

6. Play a single player game instead…

5. Dugstar1

Patrick Garrett.. Your a legend… Best article I’ve read in a while :D

6. mojo

you shut up.
    i cant play this game at all because even the singleplayer takes place on the server.
    i have a very bad internet connection, hence theres no way for me to play this game.
    Thank you Blizzard you fuckholes.

7. Patrick Garratt

The US servers should be back up any second now.

8. Patrick Garratt

9. TMRNetShark

Hehe, everyone so angry now… watch in a week when the servers are back into their right minds… people will be loving the game for what it is.

I’m not worried. :P

10. Patrick Garratt

Here you go: https://twitter.com/#!/Diablo/status/202644949093728256

11. ChaosSmurf

The replies on the Diablo twitter are gorgeous :3

12. JB

I wonder how this piece would have looked like if it was Microsoft who made this bullshit blunder… again…

13. TheWulf

Well, I don’t even need to worry about this. In fact, these problems help to confirm that I made the right decision. No buyer’s remorse for me! Hooray!

14. BULArmy

EU servers works just fine and the message about them being full is gone, so I think problems are solved and from now on is only the great experience that D3 is.

15. Gekidami

Its good to see journos defending this game, even after Blizzard pretty much gave the whole of the videogames media the blacklist treatment by refusing to let them review the game before release. Keep up the non-fight guys!

16. Erthazus

@15, will you shut the fuck up? Stop whining. That’s how it works with Blizzard before and that’s how it will work in the future. Stop whining, seriously. Blizzard does not care about scores and reviews. Every journalist will start playing the game like every other person.

If you are interested in the scores, it’s going to have 90+ on metacritic.

17. Patrick Garratt

The EU servers are working, yeah.

18. Gekidami

“Its ok, because its Blizzard” lol what would the video game industry be without its sacred cows, and double standard, special pleading fanboys, eh?

19. Patrick Garratt

Anyone want to co-op? patlike#1682

20. Sini

You’re a game journalist, that means you suck by default. Sorry

On another note, even if US servers are down, you can always play on euro ones, the stuff earned there doesn’t carry over though. Just go to options(before you log in) and Account and change territory there.

21. Giskard

It’s really odd. Since yesterday, I haven’t had a login problem, whenever I decided to login. Got in at once, no problems at all…

Guess I’m lucky :)

22. Erthazus

@19, If you finished the first ACT I can invite you :D right now to Act II. It’s beautiful.

23. shogoz

told you diablo would suck cock

24. Patrick Garratt

@22 – I’ll get past it later, I hope. I’m rambling round a field full of bats at the moment.

25. Simpo20

@ Patrick Garratt – Just registered to comment on this article, honestly one of the best articles on the web i have read for a long time, Funny & True.

and then the reality of the ‘online community’ kicks in by reply #2 (Bane Williams) – people really do need to chill out. I managed to play for about 4 hours last night Co-Op with a friend.

When i got home, i installed and couldnt log in, sat down with my wife and watched some TV. Tried again, failed. Cooked my wife some dinner (she didnt know what was going on at this point she just thought i was being nice… little did she know if i could log in this wouldnt be happeneing!!) and so it was karma, 1 and 1/2 hours after being home from work, and spending some quality time with my wife. i logged in, and my friend logged in as i was making my hero. onwards to 4 hours of D3 goodness! :-)

I would happily Coop with you Patrick Garratt .. add me – Simpo#2536

26. Telepathic.Geometry

I think that the best way to handle this kinda bullshit would be for Blizzard to lie about the release date, saying that it’s coming out two days after the real date. A lot of people would realise that they were able to log on, and start playing, helping to stagger the people trying to log on a bit, and robbing them of their perceived right to bitch and whine.

27. Patrick Garratt

@25 – I’ll add you next time I’m on!

28. BULArmy

@26 That is hilarious idea, but again the interwebz will be full of rage.
    For me the solution is something in the veins of tiers. Like in MMO ppl with Collectors Edition are given head start let say 2 days early. Then maybe some kind of Limited Edition with numbers Blizz are sure will not crash servers again as pre-order, one day before release. And then everyone else on release date, but with queue and not those maddening errors.

29. TheBlackHole

Wow… that’s a really arrogant news piece.

“Making this stuff work for a rush of millions is verging on rocket science.”

No, it’s really not. The problem is not complicated – it’s simply one of scale. To facilitate the millions of users trying to connect, you have to traffic an insanely huge amount of data, which would cost a disproportionately large amount of money to do. Inevitably, most of these facilities would have to be shut down again once the traffic had slowed to a manageable level, making it worth neither the time nor money.

So instead (and this is where the gripe is), developers choose a ‘maximum threshold’ for traffic, where they KNOW the servers are going to fall over, and essentially bottleneck the entrance until everyone is eventually through.

This problem is greatly exacerbated by people continually trying to connect (imagine a million people hammering F5 to refresh a webpage mimicking 10x millions of users), but essentially the problem is that no company is willing to build the infrastructure necessary to make the game work from minute-one, because financially it makes very little sense.

Despite this (and I agree with the way it is done) I don’t think your article is at all helpful, and does very little to explain the complexity of this situation to your readers.

30. GwynbleiddiuM

Well I managed to finish ACT I on my Monk and Witch Doctor, I didn’t like Demon Hunter and Wizard so far but Barbarian feels good. Soon I’ll decide which one will be my first play through but my personal preference is da witchdocta.

All in all I’d like to play with ya guys :> I’m playing on EU tho.

31. endgame

Bulls**t!! This is not an online game! This is a single player game! But Pat, you’re right about one thing, all of you (all 2 million of you) who supported this DRM, you asked for this, so stfu and wait for the servers to get back online you bunch of losers! You people are pathetic!? You payed 60 dollars/euros for an unplayable game! Douche-bags! LOL!

32. botherer

Do we have to wait for your internet to go down before you’ll see sense again?

33. Simpo20

@31 – its online if i want to play the game with my friends COOP…..

34. Patrick Garratt

35. TheBlackHole

@34 That’s very funny :)

36. Gekidami

I feel that -just for the hell of it- this needs to be brought up:

37. Patrick Garratt

@32/36 – Yeah, but this isn’t about not having an internet connection, is it? It’s about Blizzard fixing some servers. They’re different things. I’m sure it makes perfect sense to Blizzard to have you constantly connected to Battle.net. In fact, I doubt the game would have ever been made if you weren’t.

38. Chockster

I love you Pat.

39. Joe Musashi

HA! I’m unaffected because Amazon haven’t even delivered the pre-order I placed in 2010 yet.

Good times.

JM

40. Patrick Garratt

:D

41. Gekidami

Pat, its DRM, nothing more nothing less. If it wasnt there people could simply play their game offline till the server issues were sorted out, but they cant. It sure as hell isnt the auction house thats stopping the whole game from having an offline mode and there really isnt any multiplayer feature -unless the game is an MMO- which would halt the perfectly playable single player aspect of the game from being there. Dark Souls & Demons Souls also rely heavily on online as main features, yet if its not there the rest of the game doesnt get locked away.

I dont personally care much about always online DRM, its not really a big deal to me, Blizzard have done a few other things i think should piss people off more than this (not allowing pre release reviews, cutting expected features, region locking servers, charging a higher than average price just because they can…), but i dont deny that it can be an issue, the servers going down making the entire game unplayable despite having a perfectly good single player aspect, being one.
    What does bother me is the double standard: Ubi does this; there are calls for a boycott, when its Blizzard; its totally ‘ok’.

42. Patrick Garratt

@41 – Yeah, I agree with you. It sucks. But they feel as though they have to do it as a piracy prevention thing, so they build in constant online functionality (friends, auctions, whatever) to justify it. You watch: it’ll be built into next-gen console hardware. If a game needs a constant connection to the internet and it’s amazingly popular, it’s going to fall over in the first few days. Of all audiences, the one that reads this site is well aware of that.

Apart from first thing this morning, I’ve had no problem logging on. So it was patchy for a day. Seriously.

43. Erthazus

@GwynbleiddiuM, you finished ACT I?

Join me then. What’s your Battle Tag? We can play the game right now :D

@Pat, I added you. You can join me anytime.(I’m at the second Act)

44. OwnedWhenStoned

Didn’t buy it on day 1 because I knew this was going to happen. It happens every time a popular game starts. I’m sure it’s a great game.

45. Erthazus

My badass :D

46. strikkebil

pc gaming ftw!

47. Revolution

I just registered today to say how ridiculous this article is, yes a big IP game launch always has problems but is that the fault of the gamer? should gamers always expect games to be in shambles on release? of course not.

Also I have been hearing a lot people took time off for this game, not everyone has the luxury of time and playing and writing about videogames Mr. Garratt.

Oh and one more thing I’m not even a Diablo fan and I didn’t even pick up the game, I just needed to post because this article goes against smart consumerism.

48. TheBlackHole

Amen.

49. GrimRita

@47 – its becoming the ‘norm’. If you bought a car, sat in it and turned the engine on, only to find that it didnt move – you wouldnt be happy. The same goes for gaming.

Im sick to the back teeth of publishers/developers releasing unfinished/unready pieces of shit, leaving gamers with all sorts of launch problems.

Do the math – If you produce say 1 million copies of your game to sell, logic tells me to expect at least 700k of those in sales. So the math tells me to ensure that we have enough capacity to deal with 700k users and maybe some extra over flow.

Its not difficult. Guild Wars 2 was guilty of this with the beta. If they ‘sold out’ of Digital copies, they surely must fucking know how many people will log in at launch.

50. Deacon

I’m kinda torn here. While I agree that it’s ridiculous to rage at not being able to play immediately, issues like this simply shouldn’t be happening – especially with such a high profile game as this.

Personally I’ve got plenty of other things to do were I in the position of the gamer having to wait. But that is hardly the point. The few guys above me have it right. And we need to stop letting companies get away with effectively selling people a broken product – even if it’s just a day or 12 hours. It wouldn’t go unpunished in any other industry.

51. Telepathic.Geometry

Pat has the luxury of playing and writing about games? You make it sound like he hardly does a tap of work when in fact I think he’s working his arse off.

Also, I think it’s fair to say that first day problems only occur on the first day, so there’s no need for the cost and infrastructure needed when most of your fans will have the experience and patience to foresee the bottle-neck and wait it out.

52. Ashwin

Firstly, I just want to say that I know how difficult it is to get a game like this right at launch. I actually don’t, personally, have any issues with the problems Blizzard are experiencing at the moment.

The problem I have, Pat, is with your sweeping generalisations about gamers. Some choice examples from the above article:

“Save your bile for something that actually matters, like the fact you have little chance of achieving your life goals because you can’t stop playing computer games.”

“Stop sitting there repeatedly trying, and failing, to get a game, get off your ass and go for a walk. Maybe break into a run.”

I’m an avid gamer (I’m reading this site, right?) I also run marathons. Just what is your impression of what it means to be a gamer? Are you still stuck in the mindset of your fan base being cretinous troglodytes? How nice.

“Do some work. Radical, yes, but doing some work while you’re waiting for Blizzard to engineer one of the largest game projects yet created will make you feel better about your life. Write something. Build something.”

Once again, we’re all just lazy slobs that have no life outside of gaming, right? This is pretty shameful. You might be targeting the irate fools raging on YouTube about DIII not working, but the fact is, this is a (predominantly) offline game. You mention BF3 and MW3 but the issues there were centred on the fact that those games are renowned for their online experiences. The Diablo games? Not so much. People’s ire, in my opinion, is justified. You’re welcome to yours, too, naturally, but I take offence in how you’ve expressed it.

Spend time with my family? Believe it or not, I do. We do. I know you do. Why does a person who is disappointed with a service they paid for have to be one or the other? Why can’t those people be entitled to be pissed off and still be a decent human being who also loves their family, is fit and happy, and is productive and an all-round good guy?

You may be attempting satire but you have simply come across as out of touch, disrespectful and haughty to the extent that, that’s it, I’m out.

Good luck for the future.

53. Chockster

I still love you, Pat.

;)

54. Telepathic.Geometry

@Ashwin: I think you’ve taken that whole piece in a far more serious light than it was written/intended mate.

55. absolutezero

You mean exactly how Pat took sexy characters in games far too seriously. Like that you mean? I think you mean like that.

How about this, why don’t you not try and play the game and instead uninstall the piece of shit and wait patiently for something better. Like Torchlight 2, or Grim Dawn or even Path of Exile.

Why are you so obsessed over Diablo 3 that you need to put up with one of the worst ideas I have ever heard of just to play the thing? Its not the previous games because the people that made that game pretty much all left. So what exactly is it?

I fucking loved Diablo 2 but the server side single player was such an awful idea that I made the choice to not buy the full thing. I managed it, I don’t feel as if im massively missing out now either.

“It wouldn’t go unpunished in any other industry.”

It would not go unpunished from another Publisher. Mark my words everyong playing right now might be fine with being online constantly at the moment but wait for some other publisher to attempt the samething, say EA. Then there will be a huge uproar, how dare they do this? On the EA Servers and everything!

Just because “Hey its Blizzard! I can deal with this! I MUST PLAY THE DIABLO. I MUST PLAY THE GAME.”

56. Hybridpsycho

Now I’m one of the few of my friends who hasn’t complained alot.

However there are a few silly things from Blizzards site IMO. They’re one of THE largest gaming companies today. The release of Diablo 3 is nothing close to Battlefield 3, Modern Warfare and other games that have experienced problems on release. This is a game that people have been waiting about 10 years for. Now, they know what will happen once the game is released and so they can take many precautions to avoid it, people have patiently waited for 10 years…now many people will say “Then why not wait a few more days?”. This is not how it works, if people have payed for a game and the company behind it is BLIZZARD they should be able to prepare for this. I don’t know exactly how but there must be tons of solutions. They probably even have a whole team that’s been preparing for the launch for a long time.

It’s just silly that because “We’ve been through this before and it’s normally like this when a hyped game is release” means that companies shouldn’t do something about it?

It’s an issue that exist and it should be taken care of.

57. YoungZer0

If you bought it, you deserve every little bit of it. You just help finance a stupid DRM system. And people saying this is not a singleplayer game: Are you stupid? If you can play it in singleplayer it is a singleplayer game.

Face it, there is no fucking reason for Blizzard to make the singleplayer always-online. This is exactly what was going to happen, Blizzard could’ve been smart, but they weren’t. One might think that they learned from all the BETAs and the time they wasted on WoW, but no such thing. It’s Blizzards fault and you shouldn’t blame people for wanting to play the game they payed for.

But again, if you bought it, you deserve it.

But Pat, really telling people to do some work and or exercise, or spend some time with their family? And then thanking Blizzard for that? If people wanted to do that they wouldn’t have spend their money on the game. I hope this whole article was meant as a joke, because otherwise it would be sad.

58. OlderGamer

Haha. Loved the piece, absolutly fantastic!

While I do agree with many, that the trouble here is the games need to be online when I would have been thrilled to play offline Single Player. I don’t like that part at all. But in the end it isn’t the end of the world.

Instead of playing Diablo III during the peak hours last night, I ran some Heroic Dungeons in WoW with family. Even got a weapon upgrade for my Tanking Druid. All is good.

59. silkvg247

I bought it to play single player. Servers should be irrelevant, and as such your entire argument is invalid.

Not that I’ve complained much.

60. YoungZer0

What i really love is that most game ‘journalists’ will go out and write gigantic ‘articles’ about the downtime of servers for games like BF3, but when it comes to Diablo 3? Spend some time with your family, you payed for it, after all!

61. mad1723

All I will say is: Epic Patrick, love it :D Chill out people, just a game, you’ll be able to sink countless hours once the servers are fully patched :)

62. OrbitMonkey

Some sage advice their for any ardent hobbyist *strokes chin*

63. Ireland Michael

Couldn’t agree more.

I said the exact same thing to a number of people I know yesterday.

They didn’t take it too well.

64. Freek

Yes, online games have patch launches, that’s fair enough. But this time round people are being locked out of the SINGLEPLAYER part of the game.
    There is no need for any of this. It’s purely a DRM issue that Blizzard implimented so it can have a real money auction house.

It is the end game of always online DRM. People unable to play the game they bought. It is stupid. No other way to putt it.

65. Cobra951

There’s no excuse to shut paying players out completely. The single-player campaign should have been accessible immediately. But we all knew what Blizzard did here, and many of us went ahead and bought this shamefully restrictive game anyway. I did not. I will not. It’s not like there’s a shortage of good offline-capable games out there anyway.

66. DSB

I agree with the sentiment, but quite arguably there are a few buts to be thrown in there.

Of course it is one of the biggest games of the year, and of course there are gonna be bugs, when several million people swarm a system like bees on a caffeine rush.

That being said, with the implementation of the always-online DRM, Blizzard have made absolutely sure that every single glitch in the system, is apparent to everyone on the regional grid. When it crashes, every single player is going to feel it.

You wouldn’t care if you were deprived of updates or instant messaging playing a singleplayer game, that wasn’t totally dependent on developer-run servers, but now you do. That’s Blizzards choice, not ours.

That’s arguably not very clever if you want to look like you know what you’re doing, which is point two. Blizzard are modern day wizards of networking. Throughout the years they’ve become one of the most reliable and expedient developers out there, when it comes to fixing, maintaining and tuning their network, and making sure people get as much playtime as humanly possible.

In light of that, I’d say the notion that Diablo 3 isn’t entirely ready to face the world makes for a huge embarrassment. That’s below par.

I think it’s too early to call it as such, though. I was logged in and playing within an hour and twenty minutes, and I think that’s to be expected for a gargantuan launch. But if the service keeps crashing, Ubisoft style, then they have a serious problem, and really, while we might appeal to our better nature, they’re still the ones responsible.

@52 To be fair, D2 and D3 were always developed to be online coop games. They actually weren’t tailored to be singleplayer games.

67. Ireland Michael

If people don’t want to support this kind of DRM, don’t buy the game.

It’s called “voting with your wallet”.

A person can’t rightly criticize this problem if they’re against it but paid up anyway. Anyone who knew anything about the game knew it would require an always-on BNet connection, even in “single-player”. If you didn’t, well… ignorance isn’t a privilege. Research the things you want as a consumer, or you only have yourself to blame.

I need Steam to play countless of single-player games. If its down, I can’t access them. What exactly is the difference here? Oh right, there isn’t any.

And if you can’t go buy a single day without playing a game (especially at launch when the problems are the worst), the problem isn’t with Blizzard. They’re obviously going to do what they can to stabilize things as quickly.

68. Freek

I think Tycho over at Penny Arcade said it best:

“We need to think for a second about the extent to which this supposedly carefree fucking dialectic enables these precise abuses. No, actually; it is not okay that the definitive Game Developer can’t make their shit work. Is it as bad as the Foreclosure Crisis? I don’t know, probably not; but nobody is talking about that. There isn’t a list of things that we have to worry about in order. We can decide on a case by case basis whether or not something is bullshit, and then we can feel some way about it, and we don’t need to wait for a transmission from central command to know if we’ve paid in enough psychic penance to enjoy something.”

Also, you do NOT need to be online to acces Steam, you can simply start it in offline mode and play your games that don’t require an online DRM system.

69. DSB

@67 People aren’t complaining about the system, they’re complaining about the fact that it keeps cutting out.

70. Erthazus

Damn, Diablo III is short. I almost completed it.

71. ManuOtaku

You know what will take the cake, if one of this days a big burst of solar flare shutdown the internet for a couple of months or years, and then you see the diablo 3 logo on the computer, but hey you cannot play it, but the solution is pretty simple turn to all the games that didnt have this kind of scheme.

Know i now this will be coming to the consoles in the next gen, because sadly it will also go with the always connected route, now i wonder why they would take such a wild idea for the next gen***looking at the diablo 3 sales numbers*****

72. Phoenixblight

If that were to happen we would have bigger issues than playing games…

73. ManuOtaku

#72, Oh yes defenitively that will be a dire and extreme situation for humankind, but i did tried to point out some of the things that are wrong with it with an extreme example, but hey besides a big hugh my family, the best way to go will be playing games man, and with my family also, 8D

74. bo_7md

I think that people have a right to complain about a non working product, generally.
    In this case, NO, if you bought this game with out checking around it is your fault. If you have read a single article about D3, then you must have come a cross someone predicting day 1 fail due to the online thing.

Don’t feed the monkeys and then complain they threw poop at you, READ the frigin sign.

75. ultramega

The point is, is that people paid their hard-earned money for a product that they should be able to play on release day. There is no excuse for this. Blizzard has money. Blizzard even operates an MMORPG, with over 10 million active subscribers. They had a beta. They definitely had projections for sales numbers. Even if they were unsure of the player hit, they should have had backup servers on the ready.

And they defend their online DRM, and aren’t prepared for launch day? This is exactly everyone’s fear; with always online DRM like this, we are at the mercy of the company’s servers.

If I bought a television, a vehicle, a bicycle, or whatever, the company guarantees it will work. And its state of operation is not contingent on whether or not they are able to sustain its operation. Anyways, I’m rambling. We paid our money, the product should work. Period.

I spent my time on other things, as I usually do. I don’t game nearly as much as I used to. But the point is in the principle.

76. Ireland Michael

“I bought a television, a vehicle, a bicycle, or whatever, the company guarantees it will work.”

Even the best servers in the world can only handle so much. You can’t just “get more servers” or “make it work”.

77. ultramega

“But they can’t guarantee that the cable television will be up and running, or stop the tires from bursting.”

Really? That’s totally besides the point. You’re reading way too far into my analogy. (A tire can be replaced, by me, very quickly. And negligence on my part would likely be the cause of it bursting. The cable service provider has nothing to do with my functional television. I could use a television for a multitude of things).

—-

“Even the best servers in the world can only handle so much. You can’t just ‘get more servers’ or ‘make it work’.”

I still fail to see how that’s an excuse. This is a company that had a net income of over a billion dollars last year. They need to have the server capacity. If this were some indie developer who couldn’t afford it, that would be a different story entirely.

But when they’re requiring their users to be constantly connected, and have been so steadfast in their defence of this technology, they have to be sure that they’re ready for anything. If they can’t be, then they shouldn’t rely on this DRM. The consumer shouldn’t get shafted because of a company’s lack of foresight.

They hyped the launch up so much. It’s obvious people were poised to line up for the game, just as they did for Starcraft II, or would for any WoW expansion. Plus, they had the approximate number of day one sales from their digital distribution platform. They tout how the game is set to unlock right after midnight, and have their whole community ready to burst through the door… Of course the reason for this fallout is easy to comprehend, and it’s quite justified, in my opinion.

Personally, it doesn’t bother me that I wasn’t able to play right away. It’s not like I was up at midnight waiting, and whatnot. I have school during the day, and other things that take precedence.

It’s just disheartening to see a prestigious company handle a launch like this, when, in the past, there have been clear examples of this happening with launches of other big releases. I think we’ve gotten to a point when server capacity shouldn’t be an issue, or an excuse, anymore.

78. Ireland Michael

@77 Like I said, even the best servers in the world are going to crumble of the amount if data trying to be pulled in and out is too excessive. This is one game that’s probably being hammered by millions of requests a second. There *isn’t* a server alive that can handle that. And Blizzard has some of the best servers in the world.

It’s not just singular servers either. There’s servers for account logins, servers for achievements, servers for the other games on B.Net. You seriously underestimate how much strain is being put on them.

I laugh when people think there’s some sort of magic solution. There isn’t. The only solution is less strain. And that’s only going to stop when less people are hammering the servers all at once.

It will work fine in a couple of days, and then nobody will give a fuck.

79. Eunomiac

I paid $60 to enjoy a single-player game, and I’ve been completely unable to do so.

So don’t tell me I have no right to complain.

Don’t characterize my complaints as “whining.”

And do NOT patronize me (or the rest of your readership) by telling us to “spend time with family.”

Who the hell do you think you are?

80. hyperbaric

This article is insulting, and I don’t even care about Diablo 3.

81. The_Red

Sadly true. I love VG247 articles and specially Pat’s work but unless this was meant to be sarcastic, the whole thing is rather insulting, specially the reasoning and the suggestions at the end.
    Heck, even GameCritics.com called VG247 / Pat on this one. Really shameful.

When there is a singleplayer game that you pay 60 bucks for, you should NOT have to suffer through server and other stupid issues because of the whole disgusting “always-on-line” thing.

82. OlderGamer

It went down again.

83. soool

You are kidding right Pat? We paid money to enjoy a game. Blizz’s botched launch and subsequent inability to address issues are not allowing us to do that.

Go eat a bag of dicks and enjoy your under the table blizz check.

84. douchenozzle

This bit clued me in to fact that this entire article is sarcasm…
    “most amazing addition to the action-RPG genre”

…regardless of whether the sarcasm was intentional or not.