BioWare taking suggestions for next Dragon Age

Wednesday, 16th May 2012 21:13 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Last month, Dragon Age executive producer Mark Darrah announced BioWare wanted fan feedback before approaching the franchise again. Today, an update on the game’s official website states the time for feedback is now, and a series of questions and discussions around Dragon Age has started on the forums.

“This a conversation between fans, the community team, and the developers,” said the firm’s Jessica Merizan. “Everyone at BioWare is incredibly excited about the future of the franchise but we’re interested in what you have to say. Every month, we will discuss a topic or question about Dragon Age and game development. You will have one week to post your thoughts, desires, and hopes before we close the thread for review. Moderators and developers will pop into the thread to chat every now and again, so keep an eye out.

“These questions and discussions are not only for future games, but other potential products like novels, animated features, pen and paper RPGs, and comics – all of which offer us opportunities to expand on parts of the world.

“However, it’s worth reminding that we’re not making promises, we’re talking about ideas. We won’t guarantee that things we discuss will materialize and we’re not showing anything until we’re ready.

“BioWare co-founder Ray Muzyka has mentioned that we’d like to open up more in future Dragon Age titles, so now we turn to you.”

Go nuts here.

1. Sini

1. Fire everyone involved with DA2

2. Not even a mention of fucking kirkwall or anything remotely related to DA2

3. Bring Morrigan back, since she got pregnant with your kid at the end of DA1 have your party chase after her because you can’t let that crazy bitch raise your kid. The chase leads you eventually to the gates of the forbidden Maker city or whatever they called it.

4. Have the people you fired responsible for DA2 make a formal video apology.

2. Phoenixblight

Thats a bit much while some people didn’t enjoy the game. It had still sold more than the original so in that case it would be considered a success. I infact enjoyed the game far more than the original. They brought a far more interesting dialogue system with interesting characters,story and the gameplay was far more responsive and customizable than DAO’s linear talent system with slow responsive gameplay not to mention easily broken.

3. YoungZer0

Keep the combat, the art-direction and the dialog-wheel. Change everything else.

4. Froseidon

@2 – I agree with most of what you said. The only things that I preferred on Origins was that:
    A) You could select a race
    B) The varied environments
    C) The story seemed more including of the player*

*Not so say I didn’t like DA2′s story, I loved it, the idea of a ‘political’ struggle (Qunari) and then the rise up from oppression (mages) are brilliant ideas. I just preferred the grand scale of things and how bleak the world was in DA:O.

Admittedly, Kirkwall was a nice place, really had a good feel story wise if you was a mage or close to a mage companion (which you always were, be it a sibling or romance option). It just grew slightly tedious after the second act. I’m so glad they explored more in the DLCs.

5. YoungZer0

@4: Did you enjoy recruiting factions for the final battle in DA:O? Because i remember i didn’t at all.

“There is evil coming to this land, it will destroy all living things. Gather your men, i need your help!”
    “That’s great and all, but i lost my teddy bear, if you find it, we’ll help you.”

And you liked the story of DA2? o_O

6. Phoenixblight

I am not saying the game was absolutely perfect I would also like to have more race choices in the next game and varied environment but with the direction of DA2 art style not with DAO brown environments. I hope EA gives them a larger development time then they did for DA2 if EA had given Bioware the same development time as they have for ME3 and ME2 that game would have been even more polished and not just reusing of levels.

7. TheWulf

I threw my comments in there for what it’s worth. What I want to see them do is upset the fantasy status quo, frankly. It pleases me when people squeal with despair when guns and further technology are introduced to fantasy (as an example, just an example). The vanguard are terrified of it, absolutely terrified, and of just change in general.

This is why fantasy has been pretty much just Tolkien over and over, rather than something which I’d really find more interesting. Something more along the lines of Pratchett. I’m really fed up with the state that the RPG is in, it’s boring. It’s really, really boring. It’s safe, it’s dull, it’s boring.

The other day I played Xenoblade Chronicles again for a bit. It has a world which is situated upon a giant mechanical titan that’s been dormant for so long that life sprung up on it. You can see the outline of the body in the sky if you look at it right, and when you head into dungeons and caverns, you’re actually heading into the body of this titan.

It’s an amazing, incredible concept and it does much to inspire wonder. It’s really memorable. I’m sick of grimdark, epic fantasy RPGs where nothing really happens. Oh, you may fight a dragon or whatnot, but ultimately the world is almost as boring as our own. To quote yahtzee (whom I swear was quoting me), fantasy is supposed to be about whatever you can IMAGINE. It’s supposed to be unchained, unshackled, and to invite stuff which we could only dream of.

Instead it keeps coming back to boring plots, uninspired, grimdark worlds, and… elves and dwarves. Elves and dwarves. Elves and fucking dwarves.

What a fantasy game needs to do today is to really upset the status quo, otherwise it’s just not going to be memorable. They need to say to their writers “Okay, just do whatever, and we’ll find a way to work it all together.” and that’s that. It’s that kind of attitude that allowed for a gigantic factory city with tanks in it to make its way into Guild Wars 2 (and the squealing of genre purists over this was beautiful).

We need more of that.

What we also need less of is the black and white, binary nonsense that would make a Saturday morning cartoon blush. we need shades of grey, we need people with motivations rather than outright good vs. evil, which was a problem that Dragon Age 1 suffered with. I mean, yes, it tried shades of grey but it was oh so hamfisted. Mass Effect did it so much better, to be honest, in regards to the krogan and the genophage, just to give you an example.

What’s wrong with having people who are driven by intelligence, emotion, personal interest and desires, and survival? What’s wrong with DEPTH? I mean, usually it’s Mr. Pretty and Flawless Human faces off against Big, Ugly Orc. Fucking. Boring. I have absolutely no interest in that. None.

Yes, I realise that there’s an undertone of sexuality and brainlessness to it, that some people play fantasy because it’s a place where they can go to live out their base fantasies. But frankly, there are so many tales like that now that we could really use a breath of fresh air. Instead of it being about scantily clad people fighting dragons, we could actually use something with some genuine depth.

One of my examples of an RPG with genuine depth continues to be Mask of the Betrayer, because in that game there was no good or evil. None! There was a war, even, but it was a war of opinion, it was a war of people who wanted to do things differently, it was a war of ethics, but it wasn’t a war of black and white morality. It was amazing.

We need depth, we need imagination, we need creativity.

But sadly I just know that Dragon Age III is going to be this angsty, melodramatic, grimdark, epic fantasy boring thing where supposedly sexy, perfect people face off against big and evil things.

Sigh.

I can hope that Bioware might do something to shake up the status quo, but really, how likely is that?

/deskflip

Really, I can’t imagine them listening to any of my input at all. No matter how much I may plead with them to actually try and do something genuinely different. The thing is is that well over a decade ago, grimdark fantasy became the ‘new’ thing, well, it’s the old thing now after nearly a decade of almost exactly the same tripe. It’s like gruel, endless, tasteless gruel.

Time for something different. If not from Bioware, then from someone.

I have Guild Wars 2, at least, but it would be nice if enjoyable fnatasy titles weren’t so sparse.

/thud

8. Maximum Payne

I didn’t like skill tree system in both dragon age.
    I liked in Origins that every combat was hard and needed some kind of strategy and you can actually escape the battle.

9. DSB

@1 I agree 100%, until the Morrigan thing.

Morrigan and Alistair were just ridiculous to me. I guess it’s kinda funny to have a cowardly knight and all, but they were just so one-dimensional it hurt.

Cartoon characters.

10. TheWulf

Ha, I’m actually going to agree with that.

Yes, they were the white to the black of the dragons, the demons, and their hellspawn minions. The reason they were so one-dimensional and cartoony is because they were meant to be infallibly good, and that’s pretty much how they came across. Oh, sure, Morrigan wars pervy, but she was still as one dimensional as all get out.

I just want more. I don’t understand why that is too much to ask. I don’t want cotton candy characters, I don’t want dull lore, I don’t want pop-culture either, I just want to see people do creative things that they are invested in. I want to see Bioware get some really great writers and artist on board, and I want to see them offer those people almost limitless freedom.

It might end up being a total disaster. Or it may not. But as bad as it is, it couldn’t be any worse than Dragon Age is right now.

11. lkm

#2 sold better probably because of the reputation that dragon age origins left, a reputation which new completely ruined.

12. Phoenixblight

The original game sold only 1 million units where the second one had around 2.5 million so where were those 1.5 coming from eh? Not mention all the DLC from DA2 sold more than DAO DLC.

13. Erthazus

@9, but that is what’s cool about it.

It’s a fantasy game and it must have interesting characters. Morrigan and Allistair are perfect examples of good characters for this game. Yes, they are cartoonish, but that’s the whole point.

Morrigan is a witch and have a lot of dark secrets and etc. People like these characters.

14. lkm

#12 why i played ME2 but not the first ME1, because of the good comments players left playing ME1, not to mention reviews. same with DA2.

15. Phoenixblight

My point still stands about the DLC of DA2 selling more than the original game.

16. YoungZer0

@13: Morrigan fucking sucked. She was a simply a huge jerk.

17. lkm

#15 no shit, when DA2 have 2.5 million players its obvious that the DLC sell more than DAO, and don’t forget that bioware promised that the DLC will satisfy the DAO players and new DA2 players after the bad comments they send. and yet again players hate bioware becuse the DLC was shit. go to bioware forum its hell in there. bioware know how to sell shit game by using original game.

18. Phoenixblight

Forums are never a place to go to look at your base. Especially with the type of people that go there to either troll or be fanboy. Its like 10% of their consumer base point still stand that the game sold more and in EA’s eyes that means its a success and they will continue develop the game.

Look at WOW’s forums with just the people that go there you would think that the game is a huge failure but it isn’t not with 10 million subs. FOrums only show a glimpse of what your fanbase is like. The rest can be filled with Focus groups, metrics and reviews.

19. lkm

#18 look, the game is not a huge failure, it was good, i even played this shit twice (because of the DLC), its sold better and all, but the review score average and ppl comments gotten worse this is my point. at DAO ppl complain only about slow gameplay, at DA2 ppl complain about everything except good gameplay, the game success only in sell.

and about fanboys, they are actually important for business, if the company won’t satisfy them then there will be no profit. and trolls are pretty rare in forum.

20. Phoenixblight

@19 Fanboys are not needed as much as you think they are only 5% of the consumer base. They are studies that have shown the numbers Hardcore is 5% the rest are core and casual.

21. lkm

#20 now that i think about it, fanboys are group of nerds that can’t live without DAO? because i consider fanboys as ppl that just love the game like i am. i mean seriously only 5% loved DAO? lol

22. Clupula

Everything #1 said.

23. Clupula

And no, DA2 did NOT have a more interesting dialogue system. It had the predictable Mass Effect dialogue wheel, where you knew what effect your choice was going to have because of its position on the wheel, so if you were trying to build a particular type of character, you’d just answer a certain way. It takes the role playing out of it. In the original, you didn’t know what your responses were going to do, and that made it better. In DA2, it was, oh, I wanted to be a more renegade character, I’ll just answer give lower answers all game.

24. albo88

i just have 1 request full multi language support
    sorry my British friend’s but i don’t like Accent
    is way boring specialty for games like this that have tons of dialogues

25. Hybridpsycho

@1 Agreed

@2 The Sims sell alot as well, doesn’t mean it’s a great game. It does what it is suposed to do, attract stupid women who buys the games ’cause it says The Sims 2: New Kitten Thing in your backyard.

DA2 was shit, doubt they’re gonna get better.

26. manamana

Screw Dragon Age and make a new Jade Empire. Tis my suggestion

27. Phoenixblight

Way to generalize people that play SIms it makes your opinion matter oh so much more. Oh wait it doesn’t.

BTW I wasn’t saying More sells = Better game. I am saying more sells = continued development because EA or the investors see this as a profit and will want to continue to profit from it.

28. fearmonkey

@26 – yes, that would be the way to go, and just wait on a new Dragon age. I would much rather have a new jade empire and a next gen dragon age further down the road.

I hated the magic combat in DA2 compared to DA1. I felt that they really gimped the mage compared to Dragon age: Origins. In DA:O mages had those massive damage over time spells, DA2 killed those types of spells, I thought that was a terrible decision.

I still really enjoyed DA2 overall, but not near as much as DA:O. I would love for them to Bring back Morrigan, you can never have too much Karen Black :)

Mainly though, it’s pretty much what everyone else said, more enviroments, better engine and graphics, kill the simplified combat or at least take it back a bit, bring back powerful mage spells, fix the inventory system it sucks, make your path a bit less linear.

29. Maximum Payne

I am sorry but Origins sold around 3.7 millions on consoles and Dragon Age 2 sold 1.5 mill on consoles.

30. Llewelyn_MT

@27: Now you’re saying is that we should admire DA2 because it turns profit? I don’t want a game that makes EA a better fiscal year. I want a game I’ll enjoy playing.

I played DA2 but didn’t finish. BioWare is lost to EA’s business model. I’m not sure they can redeem themselves the the core cRPG community after all the crap with DA2 and ME3. Both games stand out only thanks to BioWare’s legend and tons of marketing money, while being substantially inferior to eg. The Witcher 2, that sold only just over 1M copies.

Thank heavens there’s Kickstarter. We might see worthwhile games once again.

31. Matly

Simply go back to Dragon Age: Origins, Grey Wardens etc. Dragon Age 2 was one big crap. Why not simply continue where ends Witch Hunt. You have thousands of possibilities to continue story from this point. No more Hawke, Kirkwall and anything from DA 2.

Sorry for my bad english.

32. stealth

get someone else to do it

33. Aliasmos

DA:O was a great game but comapred to some of the games out there nowadays it needs a serious update

For the next dargon age game I won’t be fused if it carries on with the DA2 stroyline but please can we not have a repeat of locations it became mentally painful after a while.

It would be great to see the leving system in DA2 again but I want to have more choices this time as if you played as a mage the specializations were pointess. I liked the idea of being able to upgrade the cothing of your comapnions but I got frustrated that you had to keep getting new weapons for them. I want to see a path where you choose the style you want and upgrade from there it means that you can concentrate on the story more and all you need to buy are potions and equipment for your charactor.

For the love of all that some would call holy you have to make a bigger map as you cannot call DA2 a game it should have been downloadable content it should have said that this is the lead up to Dragon Age 3 not a entirly new game on it’s own.

You have to bring back quite a few key charactors and just so you know I will be seriously pissed off if I am forced to create a brand new charactor, DA2 was too short for Hawk’s story to finsh there.

The story for DA2 didn’t really start for me until the thrid chapter, until then it felt like all I was doing was making money and trying to keep the peace, however the story for the thrid act was actually impresive but in general it felt like there was no depth to the entire story.

34. Mina

Hello, I can say that Dragon Age 1 and 2 I liked. Each episode was a little different. But overall I liked the story. For a Dragon Age 1 I liked the different beginnings and Dragon Age 2 I liked the story of Hawk.
    I would like to see in Dragon Age 3 were Hawk continuation of the story, the character I really liked it.
    It would also be good if there Morrigan appeared to know what happened to her.
    I look forward to Dragon Age 3.
    I wish you much success in creating a Dragon Age 3.

35. that1guy

I loved DAO! And even DAOA. DA2 had a few good parts, I liked the new classes, but what was with the levelling up?
    There were a few things they could leave, like all the little side quests. That was pretty cool. Other than that, go back to the DAO format!