Blizzard “not experimenting” with console port of Diablo III

Tuesday, 15th May 2012 05:07 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Although Blizzard wants to do a console release of Diablo III, it hasn’t actually started fiddling around with one, and isn’t even sure if it’s possible yet.

“We haven’t officially announced it, because we’re not ‘experimenting,’” game director Jay Wilson told Gamasutra in an extended interview.

“We tell people that basically we’re experimenting, because it helps us hire people. The better people we hire, the better chance we have to actually make it.

“That’s why we haven’t kept it super secret, but we also haven’t confirmed it, because we’re not sure yet whether we think it will work, and whether we think we have the resources to do it.”

The rest of the interview has some interesting discussion on game design, crunch and Diablo in general, so hit the link above.

Diablo III is available right now on Mac and PC. You already know that. You’re probably not even here.

[image]

1. Erthazus

and they won’t announce it. The game how it plays right now is just impossible for current gen consoles with it’s control scheme and abilities that are suited for mouse and keyboard that require some serious stuff with 1,2,3,4 buttons.

Hell, Physics in the game are too good for the current gen consoles and Diablo III is not exactly the most technical game ever for PC.

2. Phoenixblight

@1 Torchlight did fine and it played exactly the same way so if an indie studio of Blizzard’s once upon a time studio was able to bring it on a console there is no reason why Blizzard can’t.

Btw they don’t have use full physic look at Batman games by Rocksteady.

3. Erthazus

@2, Torchlight I gameplay is nothing like in Diablo 3.

Diablo III use plenty of particle physics that use a lot of Ram.

4. TheWulf

So you tone them down. The AI of Diablo III is colossally stupid, and that’s being polite, so it wouldn’t take a lot of raw processing power. And buttons? Shoulder button modifiers, it’s been done before.

So really, there’s no excuse. The physics and particle effects can simply be toned down. Keep in mind that Diablo III is designed to run on systems from a decade ago (like all Blizzard games), so the scaling is already present.

You may want to hold onto PC superiority, but the only thing that the PC does really better than consoles at the moment is, yes, RAM and processing power. However, Diablo III doesn’t actually need large amounts of either. It can USE it, yes, but it doesn’t NEED it.

There’s a subtle difference.

And no, there’s really no excuse. It should be as easy for Blizzard to bring Diablo III to the consoles as it was for Runic Games (the Torchlight devs). Do you know what the real reason for a lack of console porting is? The DRM and the auction house.

Microsoft and Sony would both want a cut of that action, and Blizzard doesn’t want to share. And if they can tempt console owners into buying the PC version, they don’t need to share.

5. Erthazus

@4, it’s not a PC superiority and it has nothing to do with “tone something down”.
    Gameplay is not suited for Gamepad. There are certain abilities that require mouse precision. It is a game that was designed for mouse and keyboard. If you don’t understand that, then you won’t go further then Nightmare in Diablo III.

“The DRM and the auction house.”

Are you nuts? Why you need DRM for a console game?
    Auction house? DUST 514 on the PS3 will use Free2Play system that is similar to Auction house.

6. TheWulf

If you think that mouse precision is necessary, then maybe you’re just not very good at the game, or the genre? So yeah, I’m throwing that ball back to your court.

Also, you’re really not very good at paying attention. I know we’ve established this before, but you’re really not. It’s silly to compare the financial desires of a company like CCP, with one like Activision-Blizzard. Of course they’re going to demand more from Sony and Microsoft, and they aren’t going to simply acquiesce.

Money is the key issue here. Activision-Blizzard want all of it, of course they do, but in a partnership with Sony or Microsoft they’d have to share their profits. This is what kept Champions Online off the XBox 360, because Microsoft weren’t willing to let Atari take 100% of the subscription profits.

As for DRM in a console game… I take it you haven’t noticed Sony’s new measures after the PS3 was cracked, or how so many console games have come to require an online connection? The issue is that they’d have to make their DRM work with consoles, and that would cost a lot of development time. And as those little goblins of Blizzard’s like to say: Time is money.

So yeah, there you go.

I’m actually kind of disappointed that I had to explain this to you.

So hopefully now you’re on the same page as I’ve been all along. The only reason that there isn’t already a console port of Diablo III is because Blizzard believes it wouldn’t be profitable enough to cover the extra development expenses and the hassles with Sony & Microsoft. They may think that it’s nice, but they don’t want to be the ones to pay for it to happen.

Also, in case you’re still kind of foggy on the concept of DRM for consoles: They’d need to convert their always online system over because there are just as many people who’re talented at cracking console games as there are at PC ones. If you make the game available for consoles without the same protection that the PC version has, then you’re begging for hackers with too much time to find ways to profit from it.

7. back_up

Ps3 is best and move is perfect than mouse
    Blizzard will lose millions of money if they don’t develop for PS3

8. TheWulf

No, they won’t. That’s the thing. Blizzard knows that the market for Diablo III on the consoles is negligible at best, and they feel that it wouldn’t be a worthwhile venture for them. That’s what this is about. They don’t think that the market is there on the consoles and they don’t want to take the risk to find out.

Didn’t you say it yourself? I believe your words were: Max Payne 3 >>>>>>>>>> Diablo III. Yes?

9. Erthazus

“The control issues thing is a bait & switch, you went from talking about using hotkeys to mouse precision. And talking about mouse precision in games like Diablo is borderline ridiculous. You just don’t need it. Hell, a lot of people successfully play games like this with click to move.”

I stopped reading after that post because first of all show me a character that finished Inferno or at least Nightmare, then we will talk about mouse precision and hotkeys.

also, you are talking with back_up. He is a PS3 troll.

10. shogoz

it’s about time pc gamers get something without it being released on console first, fuck consoles and their idiot owners.

11. Fin

Damn right bro! Everyone who’s different to me is an idiot!

12. freedoms_stain

@2,4, indeed Torchlight was released on a console, as much as I love it, it is a relatively small and simple game, Runic have already stated that a console version of Torchlight 2 is unlikely on current console hardware because of memory restrictions they’re not sure they can overcome.

So perhaps something to consider.

13. Llewelyn_MT

I really don’t mind people playing on consoles as long as my PC games can do 60 fps @ FullHD, have hi-res textures, spacious locations, reasonable controls and interface.

Console gamers don’t hurt PC gamers the slightest (apparently except the silly PC supremacists). Stupid console publishers and their shitty ports do.

14. Kabby

The game is easily doable on consoles. It’s all about the money and who’s pocket it goes into.

15. Llewelyn_MT

@14: I wish someone saying something is “easily doable” actually knew what they were saying. Showing the rest of the world how it’s done would be even better.

You can get a used PC that can run D3 in 720p for less then the price of a Collectors’ Edition.

16. absolutezero

Instead of comparing D3 to Torchlight which is wrong, why not compare it to Sacred 2 instead. While that game was a buggy mess it worked perfectly fine on the consoles and to be honest it had far more depth to it than D3 aswell.

17. Chief Crazyface

“Gameplay is not suited for Gamepad”
    Actually,it is.
    Games like Marvel Ultimate Alliance/Deathspank prove that Top-Down (Camera Angle) RPGs can be played with a controller.

I was hoping for a Console version of Diablo 3 (coz i noticed similarities between Diablo 3 and Titan Quest in terms of gameplay mechanics and i want my Diablo 3 experience to be unique)

Keeping my fingers crossed for a patch that enables gamepad (or some custom mod,atleast)

PC has Starcraft,League of Legends and many other games.
    Nowadays,almost every PC gamer has a next-gen console (if not all)

18. OlderGamer

Wulf:

“No, they won’t. That’s the thing. Blizzard knows that the market for Diablo III on the consoles is negligible at best, and they feel that it wouldn’t be a worthwhile venture for them”

That right there is thr true crux of it. And for console fans, craving a PC game, I say take the plunge buy a PC. And not just for Diablo III. Stop playing in the kiddie pool of video gaming, expand beyond the limitations of console gaming. I bet Guild Wars 2 would blow the minds of most of you. You have zero clue, unless you have experienced more.

But whatever, be a slave to consoles if ya like. Just make sure you keep rolling your eyes, shaking your head, laughing at the PC players(it will help you convince yourself your better off on a console).

19. viralshag

@OG, I don’t know if you’re joking or not but I have been a console gamer for most of my life and in the last 4 or 5 years moved over more onto the PC.

There has been nothing that has completely blown my mind on the platform and about the best thing going for it is the price of games. That’s what really keeps me on the PC and if it wasn’t for the pad compatibility that’s becoming more of the norm I probably would have lost interest.

But regardless of these “mind blowing” games supposedly available on the PC I still find myself constantly going back to my consoles. Guild Wars 2 or any MMO for that fact, is hardly the example I would use to try and wow people into PC gaming.

20. JB

Erthazus is right, console controllers only have 2 buttons and a 4 way analog stick, ofc it cant be done on consoles.

Besides it has inferno and Nightmare modes, which will give console players trauma for weeks just hearing that. That is if they can even read ofc.

PC gamers are the best and most macho, even those who play Minesweeper, Mahjong and Facebook games on their PC.

21. YoungZer0

@17: I’d even say that controllers are much better for these sort of games. Pressing just feels better than clicking.

22. Gadzooks!

Of course it would work on consoles, that isnt even up for debate.

Also..

Hey OG, some stuck up elitist prick has stolen your forum account. Please reclaim it as this fake OG is posting shite.

23. ManuOtaku

Oh dear lord, i did thought that clicking this article, i will see some PC fans wishing for a console port, so every gamer has the chance to play this good game, man i was wrong, it seems that empathy doesnt fit here, doesnt it?, either way this wont stop me for wishing that some console games will be ported to PC as well.
    p.s scratch that, for some pc fans that will be an insult, go figure

24. Da Man

Mediocracy. A Gauntlet clone with a shitty engine, soulless characters and stupid dialogues.

Don’t want to repeat myself.

25. OlderGamer

Nope tis the real me. And its true. Consoles are the lowest common denominator when it comes to games. And it isn’t the tech or anything elitest like that. Its the idology behind consoles.

Closed and controled for one thing. You play what the platform holder wants you to play and you pay what they want you to play. From perpriotory memory and control pads to jacked up DLC prices. MS is rounding gamers up and shooting at their wallets like fish in barrel.

I enjoy console games. Been playing them scince Pong. And I intend to buy one next gen, and will also own one of the new handhelds soon. Hypocrit? Not really. Games are games, and good ones can be found across lots of platforms. I am a agmer first.

But.

Diablo III is a PC game. Blizzard is a PC company. Yes I know about Vikings and I know about Rock n Roll racing. I also know Diablo one was on PSx. But I also know, as do you all, that Blizzard is PC first and before all else.

If you want to play Halo, buy a xbox. If you want uncharted, get a sony platform. If you want to play Diablo III get a computer. If you got a xbox360 Diablo III, you would get a watered down experience, from control, to community, to auction house, and more. I know there are people here that prolly won’t be able to understand what I am saying.

Tourchlight says hello? Nope. Tourchlight played far better on PC. Far far better, plus it had mods. It was acceptable on xbox360. Played decent. Minus Mods.

But then there are sales numbers.

Diablo III on PC will do great numbers. On xbox360? I doubt it. Tourchlight did alright on xbox, but PC sales blew it away. Tourchlight II on PC, btw. Because…well like wulf said it just isn’t worth it for them to put it on a console.

It is funny when mostly console gamers call mostly pc gamers names like elitest. I find those people on all platforms. But. So many people think if this or that game would just be on my console, the world would be complete. Look at Minecraft, much better on PC. The gaming world doesn’t revolve around consoles. And even in the console world, it doesn’t revolve around Sony nor Microsoft.

I could talk this subject for hours, but unfortunatly, I just stoped in after logging out of Diablo III, and have to head out to mail my son some stuff at the postoffice.

Long story short, play what ya want. I always say that, because it is true. But if you want to play something not on your platform…maybe it is time to grow beyond your platform.

How to quickly explain my “kiddie pool” remark? Not too sure I can. And it not limited to just consoles. But ya know how a 10 year old is far more mature to to a 4 year old? And yet again there is a jump from a 10yr old to a 17yr old? I have had 10 yr olds that told me they “Only play mature rated games”. They thought it made them mature. Sex and violence, they thought makes them mature. So they think. The same way highschool kids swear like marines. Yet when people actualy do mature to a point of actual being and acting like grown ups…they see things a little differently. they stop trying to impress people with “f” this or that. That is the frame of mind you get with a large bulk of console based games.

Like I said hard to explain. So many things are dumby downed. Streamlined, reduced to the lowest common selling point. And it is the audiance that the games try and reach.

From TnA to headshots. All part of it. Ever play a game(lolipop chansaw, comes to mind) where you just feel dumber after playing it? Its insulting just to sit down with the thing.

It isn’t that the holy grail of gaming(to me) is stuff like Mario or so called family games. I just have gotten to a point where I no longer want to play games that go out of their way to make a point to apeal to those 10 yr olds.

Just because a game is mature, doesn’t mean it appeals to people that are mature. I just want games that place the gameplay before a gimmick to suck in the kids. I know it ironic that Nintendo games are often where i find that.

But it goes beyond M rated games.

I love Civ games.

I was pumped to see that Civ was coming out for consoles. But when it did we got Civ Rev, with cartoon graphics/leaders. And 3/4s of the guts and depth riped out of the game. Compare that to a real Civ game on the PC, to see what I am talking about? Different kind of games, OG? Not really, well yes and no. More different kinds of audiances.

So now as gamers age, gamers start to look at a few PC games here and there think geez that would be nice, why doesn’t it come to my console. The best answer I can come up with is, again, like wulf touched on as I did – different audiances/different demographics. And if you did get a Diablo blizzard prolly feels it would need to be changed(comprimised) to work for and appeal to console gamers. Tourchlight was a nice game, but it was pretty cartoony and was a good fit for consoles.

It boils down to one truth: if you want to play PC games, get a PC.

I know it prolly sounds like I have lost it or whatever. I have juts become so cynical, jaded and upset with consoles(MS mostly) this gen, that I am tired of it. I am long over due ready for something new, different, and better. So i came back to pC and found a indie rich world full of great new gaming ideas and experiences. I have found a handfull of AAA games that are actualy worth my money. Side note, if you think GW2 is just another MMO? Yikes. That game is pretty sepecial.

I am happy here on a PC. Enjoying games again. Keeping an eye out for the next gen of hardware too. But I am betting that it will just be more of the same. Maybe not. But if you like it, and want more of the same, by all means, enjoy it. I, for the most part, just don’t anymore.

26. ManuOtaku

I think at some point this game will be coming to consoles just for activision alone, imagine if they do the same thing with diablo 3 like they did with skylanders and the collecting figurines, they did make a ton of cash with the wii iteration, therefore i will never say never, money in activisions eyes will be a great motivation.

p.s while i understand the reasonings for OG motives, and i agree with some points, i disagree with the overall sentiment, it doenst hurt anybody to have this game on consoles even if it is a toned down version of the game, like minecraft, by the way great game which iam loving it so far, it doenst matter if it shorter, with less options, etc, iam thankfull for experiencing this game on consoles, because if it not were for this port, i would never had experience the game, and thats a shame, gamers deserve the oportunity to play this kind of games on multiple systems, even on close devices, which it is a thing i do love, the close nature of consoles, but for each their own i guess, i had never played on PC before and i think i never will, and i think it comes to that in my mind PC´s are for work and not enjoyment, like a console that at is core, when i was a kid i saw them as toys, and even to this day, they give me joy, just looking at PC reminds me of the tons of excel sheets, word documents, power point presentations, etc, that i need to do in my job at work, i know i will not have fun with it, an for other reasons as well, like the keybord mouse setup, the constant upgrading, etc., so to sum things up, it doesnt hurt to have this on consoles, even if people could just go for the PC option, lets think that not that many people love the idea of playing on PC, even if they are avid gamers at heart.

27. Da Man

There’re dumbed down video games on both PC and consoles. I don’t think someone who has no idea what’s a hit scan weapon and has vehicles as their top weapons should point out anything to others..

Wall of rubbish is just as much rubbish as a one liner..

28. Gadzooks!

He still has your account OG, and is spouting garbage.

29. OlderGamer

Haha I am sure you think so Gad. I would have edited it a bit to touch it up and smooth it out(if I had enoughtime when I posted it, option is gone now), but the feelings and msg wouldn’t have changed.

And in all fairness, with all due respect Manu, if you haven’t ever played games on a PC, that doesn’t put you in a situation to see both sides. I used to think alot like you do. I used to think PC gaming was for ubber tech nerds that know how to build PCs and stuff like that. I can’t even change the video card w/o looking carefuly at the directions, and even then having to ask my wife(who is one of those said Tech Nerds) if I did it right.

But ya know thats ok. I don’t feel the need to prove anything or convince anyone of anything. I think it is great that people enjoy what they have and can have what they enjoy. I don’t think Diablo III will find its way to consoles. It is possible. But more likly the next gen could do it then this gen.

I just think that at some level Blizzard doesn’t think the console market and the PC are the same market. In some cases they are. I own and game on both for example. But I think they see it differently in terms of dealing with MS(or Sony or Nintendo) as well. Diablo III has player fed auction house, I can not imagine how excited something like that would make MS(MS would see $$ signs everywhere). I just the entire feel is different on console. From biz side of things to updates to yes gamers mindsets and expectations. I don’t think Blizzard is impressed.

Have to ask yourself this: If World of warcraft had 12million subscribers, why wasn’t it ever brought over to a console? Even if MS doesn’t want it, surly it would be a feather in Sonys hat(Sony even has DCUO, its own MMO, on the PS3).

30. Mystic Sage

I really hope they port Diablo 3 to consoles because would be a fantastic game to play. Also to everyone saying the controls wouldn’t work thats b.s because look at DCUO for the PS3 thats an MMO with numerous skills and they setup a hotkey bar that worked very well in that i’m sure they could do the same thing for Dibalo 3. It’s Blizzard they make quality games so I’m sure they could make something even smoother then DCUO did.