Diablo 3′s Auction House a “good service worth paying for”

Tuesday, 15th May 2012 18:24 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Blizzard’s Jay Wilson has previously stated Diablo III’s development team implemented the Auction House into the game in order to streamline the trading process, and because players like to trade for real money. However, Blizzard will also make money off any real-world transactions in the game, and the decision to take part of the proceeds was made by the designers themselves – not the business end of the company.

Speaking with Gamasutra, Wilson said the service would not have been implemented if the development team felt the service would add real value to the consumer.

“I don’t think it’s a bad thing to want to make money,” he said. “I think it’s a bad thing to want to make money off things that are not a good service or product for your customer, and that’s our inherent belief, is that it’s okay to make money on a service we provide for our customers that we think is a good service worth paying for.

“Do we want to make money off it? Of course we do, because we want to continue to make games, and we want to be successful. But we also think it’s a good service. We think it’s a thing players want, and want to do, and they want to be able to do it securely and easily, and they want to be able to make some cash off of it if they want. They want to be able to recycle that back into getting more items.”

Wilson went on to reiterate since the Auction House is built directly into the game, it provides a more secure environment for real-money trading which limits potential scamming.

Diablo III launched worldwide today, and you can get caught up on all the launch day news through our Diablo III hub.

1. Se_7_eN

The Activision side of Blizzard is really starting to show through…

2. Erthazus

I’m playing right now and for now i don’t see a reason to buy something for Real Money at auction house.

@1, that side started to show since Blizzard joined Activision long time ago.

3. TheWulf

Indeed. I mean, well… of course they’d say that, wouldn’t they?

And to be honest, I’m not the only one seeing that Blizzard is slipping, lately. Even TotalBiscuit pretty much reckons that Torchlight II blows Diablo III away. No, he does. And I’m linking that since I know Diablo III fans would accuse me of shenanigans if I didn’t.

But yeah, you can definitely see Activision showing through, here. Blizzard became very corporate when Vivendi bought them out, so much so that Blizzard North pretty much left (all of Blizzard North, that’s the Diablo I & II guys, by the way). And then Activision stepped in and it got worse.

These days, what I expect from them is successful business ventures, and less so good games.

4. Edo

“Blizzard – Diablo III’s real money Auction House is “a good service worth paying for”…well…that was unexpected.

5. TheWulf

I know, right? I’m tempted to ask where their shame is. But… Blizzard. So, yeah.

6. GrimRita

Ive never heard so much shit in my life, since IGN gave Shogun 2 9/10!

7. DSB

I think it’s true that gamers “want” it (otherwise gold sellers would be less than golden) but that doesn’t mean you have to give it to them.

Lots of gamers obviously want aim bots in their FPSes, but it doesn’t mean you should monetize aimbots.

They just looked at all the money that third parties were making off of WoW, and went “We should have that”. Simple as. It definitely doesn’t make for a better game though.

Sadly that’s going around for a lot of games now. EVE, Guild Wars 2, Modern Warfare 3. The ingame storefront is on the rise.

8. OlderGamer

“The ingame storefront is on the rise.”

Yep, it is here to stay.

And they prolly are right. It is something that some players want. I have no problem with blizzard providing it, so long as they don’t alter the game to create a need for gamers to use it.

I am playing Diablo III now and it seems to me finding crafting matts is a lot harder then it should be. So I think about the store. I also find that I don’t have enough gold to pay for my blacksmithing training. So I think about the store. And my over all crafting levels are way behind my toons level. So once again, I think about the store.

That might be because I am just getting started in the game right now. it might get better the more I play. I just hope it doesn’t get worse.

9. Sini

Fuck all you bitches who killed NA servers

10. Erthazus

Guys, i can login to US servers but i can’t login at the EU servers.

What’s wrong? People say that there is an outage for the US servers until 4:30 p.m. EDT but at the same time i can login at the US wervers and start over (and i don’t want that) but i can’t login at the EU servers.

What’s wrong?

11. DSB

@8 Huh. For me the crafting is staying a couple of steps ahead all the time. I’m level 11, but I have crafting recipes up to level 20.

The whole nature of an ingame storefront is to use some form of scarcity to sell you stuff though.

Of course in this case it’s different because it’s P2P, but in a lot of other games it changes the dynamic.

Whether it’s aestethic or not, it shapes differences between players who do pay and those who don’t. If that’s the sole business model for the game, then I can maybe understand it.

You play the game for free, in turn allowing the operator to sell you stuff. But a lot of the newer games with ingame storefronts aren’t free, and in something like Guild Wars 2′s case, they’re also priced through the roof.

It’s ingame advertising, Part 2. The first time we collectively told publishers to go fuck themselves. This time people are merely shrugging.

I think it’s a slippery slope. I think people should make money in any kind of decent way they can think of, but in a lot of these cases you’re talking about actually changing the dynamics of a multiplayer game. I’d like more developers and publishers to take a stand for quality, instead of just monetization.

@10 There have been minor outages throughout the day. I was playing without problems when you wrote that post though.

12. OlderGamer

I am also lvl 11, but am limited by cash. Because of that I am unable to train my blacksmithing. It is lagging behind.

I am playing solo right now, maybe that makes a difference?

13. GrimRita

If Blizzard are starving the game of mats to craft, its kind of like forcing you to pay for stuff that really should be in abundance. When it starts to have an impact on the players gaming experience and has a direct impact on the gaming economy, its utterly wrong and players shouldnt accept it.

Its bad enough in real life when you have the ‘haves’ and the ‘have nots’ and having gaming as a means to escaping that, diminish. Its nothing more than pure profiteering and its the kind of shit you’d expect from arse hole companies like EA and Activision but as others have said, since Blizzard sold their souls to the devil, they will end up paying the price.

14. Erthazus

@8, you are doing something wrong.

I have 118 basic ingredients and don’t know what to do with them and i have 15 sweet tooths for rare items and crafting recipes till 30 level.

I’m playing Solo. You are doing something wrong because there are plenty of gold to train your crafting not to mention about ingredients.

@DSB, yeah, i can play right now. But before that i had huge issues with 37 error (Connection error) and whole Kotaku experiencing it.

Just read it. Rage all over the place.

15. DSB

@13 They aren’t. All mats are derived from magical items, and you can boost your chance of finding those by equipping yet other magical items, so I reckon OG must be pretty unlucky.

They’re not exactly rare.

@12 Nah, I’ve done half solo and half coop, and there really isn’t a difference.

When you’re playing coop, you have individual loot. Which means you never see your buddy’s loot, and he never sees yours, it’s exactly like singleplayer.

I always make sure to TP when my inventory is full and sell everything off that I don’t salvage. I’ve levelled blacksmithing up to 50% of level 2. That’s like 16k gold, and I have 6k at the moment.

@14 Oh I agree, it’s not good.

I really wasn’t expecting that either. Blizzard are usually very effective at dealing with those sorts of things. Error 37 is the authentication server denying you, so I’m really wondering why they didn’t see that coming.

16. OlderGamer

Ok, gotta be me. I have a low drop rate of blues too. Working on getting gear that boost money and rare loot drops.

I really enjoy the crafting. It adds a nice dynamic to the game. But I am only slightly past the Skelli king so maybe things pick up for me.

I am playing a wizard, I don’t know if its like PSO where different classes are privie to dfifferent loot drop %s? It encourages trading or some such they say. I never noticed a problem in Beta, I even crafted a couple of things for themadjock.

Just must be in a dry spell right now.

Do you folks play native NA or EU regions? I am NA and more then happy to play some MP fun. If your interested in grouping with a crazy old bastard lol.

17. Erthazus

EU. I would love to play MP if it is possible to connect to NA.

BTW, i’m in ACT II. It is beautiful. New Tristram is OK, but the second act is fantastic. There is also a city like in Diablo II.

18. DSB

@16 I think it’s equal for all classes, but I don’t know.

The thing you gotta look for is either the Yellow mobs or the Blue ones. Once you finish a pack of blues, or a Yellow or Purple mob, you get at least 1 rare item, 100% assured.

Apart from that it’s totally random whether you get a rare drop or not.

There’s usually at least one blue pack or one yellow mob in each of the little dungeons (cellars, pits, dens, dungeons) so if the randomization of the maps means that you get to where you need to go (quest wise) at the beginning of a location, you might be missing some of those random packs or epic mobs.

I’m in EU, even though I’m in NA. Figured I’d get in early :P

@17 Sounds good. I’m still fucking around with the different classes. Can’t quite make up my mind :P

So far Demon Hunter is the most challenging. I like that.

The first act for me has so far been pretty crap. There’s just way too much tedium. The mobs get steamrolled, the scenery is boring and there’s just not a lot going on.

I’m hoping it picks up though.

Also, what the hell is up with the music? I thought they were doing that awesome guitar stuff. That’s a huge disappointment for me.