New Republique video released as end of Kickstarter drive draws near

Wednesday, 9th May 2012 20:23 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Camouflaj has released a new video for Republique on its Kickstarter page. The video basically outlines how to play the game, and it’s posted below. The project only has another 50 hours to go before the funding round ends, and only $320,680 has been donated towards the firm’s $500,000 goal.

1. Mr-Brett

I admit I ignored it before simply because it was a mobile game but now it’s on PC too I thought I’d give it a look.

I’m still not interested.

I think they overestimated the demand and for a niche genre and the scale of game required.

2. Gekidami

^ You know, its not because its on PC too thats its not a mobile game, its still being made to fit iSO standards. Same goes for all of these kickstart games announced for iOS.

I think a lot of these being for PC too is pulling the wool over quite a few eyes.

3. Erthazus

@2, No. they said that they will make a bit different version of the game specifically for the PC and Mac.

It’s not an iOS port.

4. Robotron

If there is one game that does not need funding it is this one, but gaming websites are beating us over the head with it.
    Like this article here that says we have failed IOS gaming and uses this game as the example:

I don’t know what kind of pull Ryan Payton has (maybe it’s because he is a former game journalist), but everyone is acting like this game MUST be funded….only what no one realizes is that $500,000 doesn’t fund this game.

They are going to use the 500K to shop the game around to publishers and say they need 1,000,000 or more to finish it. That plus the fact they keep adding more and more to attract people (voice actors, multiple platforms) without changing the development costs.

5. Da Man

Oh dear, so that depressed fella was a gaming journo before, really? Now I know I’m skipping this, even on iOS..

6. jacobvandy

@4 You hit the nail on the head; Kickstarters that explicitly state the fundraising is meant to “prove a point” to investors or publishers have a lot more difficulty getting pledges than those that have a concrete plan in place for developing a finished product in a timely manner using X amount of money (which would be the KS goal). There’s an inherent risk in paying for anything upfront, but to introduce those additional layers associated with external forces is too much.

Not to mention the fact that their primary objective here is to create a “AAA mobile game,” which I really couldn’t give two shits about, regardless of whether they eventually port it to PC or not. I’m thinking the only reason they made it to near 2/3 of their goal is the hype from gaming websites like this that don’t tell the whole story.

7. absolutezero

This and Grim Dawn are the only things on Kickstarter that im interested in. Still not interested enough to actually support either.

I like what they were trying to do with Republique, I thought it was a laudable attempt at trying something different and relying on neither good will nor nostalgia. They never really had any notable names to draw in anyone so it all came down the game itself, which no one seems to care about at all.

Shame they should have gotten Jeff Minter or someone that made a couple of good games 20 years ago to add his name to the bottom.