End of an era: Inside Xbox UK to be discontinued

Wednesday, 9th May 2012 15:39 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Nelson’s confirmed the UK portion of Inside Xbox is to be discontinued following similar news in the US last week.

“Following the news last week that that Inside Xbox in the US was to cease production, the team in Europe has been investigating what makes most sense for them and the Xbox LIVE community as they continue to strive to deliver the latest gaming and entertainment news for users across the region,” said the Major in a statement on his blog.

“As such, they have decided to move away from the current first-party produced content model and transition to a third-party content model, which will provide timely and locally-relevant content to users across more of the EMEA markets.

“Whilst this means that the Inside Xbox brand will effectively be retired in Europe, the focus remains on continuing to provide the Xbox LIVE community with the latest and best in games and entertainment news and information.”

The canning comes after a petition was set up to keep the service, fronted by Dan “Mr PointyHead” Maher and “Andy “Farrantula” Farrant, in action. The petition was signed by 2,199 people.

The team won a GMA for Best Broadcast last year.

In a tweet this afternoon, Maher said: “So, to be clear and succinct: Inside Xbox is no more, as are our jobs. Your support during the last four years has meant the world to us.”

We send out our best wishes to those affected by today’s news.

1. Patrick Garratt

This is proving to be a very popular move.

2. StolenGlory

Fucking hell.

This doesn’t even begin to make sense.

You think that they’re cosying up to the core and then they go and do this?

Ergh.

3. Patrick Garratt

Twitter’s having a little nervous breakdown about it.

4. OrbitMonkey

Microsoft all over. Can all the first party and rely on third party support. YGWYPF eh?

5. daytripper

It’s a real shame, excellent shows, interviews and sent u a message was great. What was the price increase to Xbox Live actually for? I have yet to see a justification for it, they rid us of a great dashboard in NXE with one I think is less favourable, IX gets marginalised on the new dashboard and a load of video streaming services like YouTube and Netflix which were already available for no extra cost on the completions systems are brought in which have nothing to do with gaming. The IGN app seems to be the first step in replacing IX.

They seem to forget the Xbox is meant to be a games machine first and foremost, whatever media apps available should be a bonus layer to the others surrounding the machines actual purpose, gaming. Really starting to dislike what the Xbox is becoming. Good luck to those who have been made redundant.

6. Johnny Cullen

Good folk there. Dan and Andy are two of the nicest people about. All the best to them and the others affected.

7. Hunam

I really liked sent u a message, I’d watch it like every week it was on. Well, till the dash update as I couldn’t find it.

Massive disservice to the console/service though.

8. daytripper

seems very strange considering the shows won a good number of awards, the cost surely wasnt that considerable?

9. Ireland Michael

I feel bad for Dan and Andy. Poor guys are basically getting put out in the trash like yesterday’s newspaper.

The only reason I even use my 360 anymore is because my friends play their multiplayer games on that, so if i eant to play them with the people I know I don’t have much choice My iPad and PS3 take up most of my gaming time now, to be honest.

This is just sad. Hope those two get some new work soon. They should join the Giant Bomb crew.

10. Mauller

Truthfully, I never cared for their show. I won’t be missing it. However I will agree with a previous post, that I have yet to see any justification for the increased cost of a gold account.

11. daytripper

Giant Bomb is a great shout Michael

12. OlderGamer

“They seem to forget the Xbox is meant to be a games machine first and foremost, whatever media apps available should be a bonus layer to the others surrounding the machines actual purpose, gaming”

I don’t think that MS feel that way. I think their vision for their platform has always included lot more then games. They want to be your MultiMedia Box. TV, Movies, Music, Social Apps, Netflix, and games. I think they see themselves as more of a service company then just a game company.

13. daytripper

@12 I can see myself with just Nintendo, Sony and perhaps finally, the plunge into PC gaming next generation

14. Ireland Michael

@11 <3

15. daytripper

@14 you heard the latest Giant Bomb podcast with Adam Sessler? Really funny.

16. polygem

never really watched it but i feel like #10 and #13…
    360 has been my main system this gen. i still love the 360 controller and halo but everything else can just f$%& off…next gen i really do not see me going ms again.

17. JRNO

And the amount of content Scandinavian customers get for their Gold subcription just more ridiculous.

We’re still stuck with Facebook, Twitter, Video Kinect and Dailymotion (and some awful music channel with an incredibly narrow selection of songs) as the ONLY apps we can access. Now you’re taking a show away, probably in favor of placing more ads on the dash. The only ‘benefits’ I’m getting for my money remain the ‘privilidge’ of playing the games I’ve purchased online and some discounts on year old Games On Demand Microsoft first-party titles that are regularly priced at 69,99€.

Seriously, Microsoft. I hate you.

18. OlderGamer

Thats my plan Daytriper.

But if you take the PC plunge now(or soon) you can play Guild Wars 2, Diablo III, Tourchlight II, and more. Grab a usb 360pad and get started on Steam. if you plan on buying new hardware in the coming couple of years, now might also be a great time to get halfway decent gaming rig. Or you could do what i always do, buy a decent 400-600usd desktop, toss in a 60usd video card, and game. I am on year three of doing that now and still going strong. I played the Diablo III beta on high, so I don’t feel like i need to upgrade.

PC gaming is not as expensive as some folks think. And when you factor in cheaper games(I am getting SFXTeken on steam, I preordered for 45usd. PS360 versions are preordering for 60usd), the costs aren’t that much more in the long run then a console.

19. daytripper

@18 considered playstation, pc, wii, jaguar?

20. Da Man

Who cares? You still get to play every single third party video game plus Halo, Forza and the rest of whatever they release. If Turn 10 make another Project Gotham for X720 it’ll be a must have system. I know I’ll be getting one regardless.

I took a look at the marketplace section of dashboard yesterday and everything is really easy to navigate, regardless of the amount. It’s all divided by type. The ads ‘re annoying, but it takes less clicks to launch anything than on the NXE one. So anyway..

But then I don’t really spend every faking day playing video games.. Maybe it’s too cluttered for crazy ass nerds who have a library of a hundred videogames and three systems.

21. daytripper

sorry i meant 17 in my previous post not 18, yeah i’ve been keen to get into PC gaming OG but never got round to it. For MS is summed up by its official website, just logged onto it and the main page was full of discount movie rental ads, the American Pie movies especially.

22. JRNO

@daytripper

I do have a Playstation 3 and I’m mostly a PC gamer.
    It just bothers me that my Xbox remains largely unoccupied (were it not for a few titles), and Microsoft doesn’t even try to make me come back for it.

23. daytripper

@22 sod them then, get rid of the xbox and play what you enjoy. my friend traded his in for a load of PC and PS3 games last month and is more than happy with his gaming time. microsoft doesn’t give a shit about you, so why bother?

24. JRNO

@23 There’s not a lot of trade-in value on 360′s these days, so I’m not really into trading it in. I’ll hold on to what I have, but I’m going to be a little more observant before making my mind up on the next generation Microsoft console. If my current Xbox (currently on my second, first one last 2005-2009) breaks down however (shown some slight signs with some crashing), I won’t be purchasing a new one.

25. daytripper

@24 understand

you should read this, stern criticism from a Xbox based website

26. polygem

i just rebought a used 360, but it was a great deal. i thought i was done with it but i am just not done with halo and cannot wait for halo4. i will now prolly play most multiplat games there again too. but i really feel bad about supporting ms any longer tbh. it was my main system but they did so much bs in the last few years…halo and a great controller just aint enough in the long run. i´ll keep it for halo 4. maybe i´ll sell it after that. i am totally enjoying the ps3 atm much much more.
    i am also thinking about getting into pc gaming again. i have an abandoned steam account which i havent used for ages but there are some great games i purchased which i could download again. right now i´m fine with my gaming gear but next gen i will be really really picky. right now it looks like sony and nintendo will get all my gaming cash.

27. absolutezero

Fucking sickened really. The best games TV we had and its just been fucking killed for no reason.

Jesus Independint Charles Show!

I have to say hanging about here made the majority of Sentuamessage redundant but The Nexus was great and the Arcade Cabinet was also fantastic.

I went onto the marketplace to see if the next Raccoon City Add-on campaign had been released yet and was faced with a wall of un-ordered Rock Band content. Fucking mess, the horizontal layout just makes quick navigation a royal pain in the arse.