Major Hitman announcement coming on May 10

Monday, 7th May 2012 16:45 GMT By Debabrata Nath

IO Interactive’s posted a picture on its official Hitman Facebook page confirming something major regarding Hitman: Absolution will be announced on May 10.

A huge picture posted along with the following line confirmed the news:

“Heads up! A MAJOR announcement is coming up on MAY 10th. Don’t miss this!”

The picture shows Agent 47 standing on top of a skyscraper with a sniper in hand. He seems to be looking down into the streets.

Hitman: Absolution is in development for PS3, Xbox 360, and PC and is scheduled to release later this year. You can view the teaser image below.

Thanks, Talkar.

1. Dark

Multiplayer

trololololololololol

2. KAP

No matter how much I try I can’t escape it.
    MP is crept its way into my story based games now, I’ll just have to grin and take it up the arse…. again

Ffs.

3. YoungZer0

Please don’t be multiplayer.

4. GwynbleiddiuM

Co-op I might be interested but MP wont be a good addition to Hitman franchise.

5. YoungZer0

47 works alone. No Co-op.

6. BULArmy

Actually co-op in a Splinter Cell way, but much more deep is my bet.
    I don’t have high hopes that this will be a good game, if we follow Hitmen path of bad-good game.

Silent Assassin FTW!

7. Edo

It’s most likely a release date(it better be).

8. drewbles82

Blood money was my fav. Big open areas to explore and so many ways of doing the job.

9. Hamid_GL

maybe it’s just some information why are you judging so fast???

10. YoungZer0

A major Announcement probably isn’t just some information. It’s either the releasedate or multiplayer.

I’m hoping for a map-editor. That would be freaking amazing.

But that’s not going happen.

11. kingofscotland

Its going to be Multiplayer for sure, it seems every game MUST have Multiplayer these days – which is fine if you try and do something different with it, not just the same old deathmatch/capture the flag etc etc

12. Quasar

game was cancelled because was to derpish

13. The_Red

This better not be co-op. Co-op in Hitman is like actual shit in ice-cream. I doesn’t matter how good it is, the mp will be like dog shit in the world of Silent Assassin.

Heck, even multiplayer would be lame but at least not as dumb as having 47 work with someone else or adding a completely separate and disjointed co-op mode with two random and pointless non-47 characters.

14. TD_Monstrous69

Some type of multiplayer, plus the release date is what I believe their announcement could be.

15. Gizkata

Looks like it was leaked? http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2012/05/hitman-announcement-this-week.html

16. YoungZer0

@15: That doesn’t look like anything i’d call “MAJOR”.

17. Gizkata

Well you know how these companies hype the fuck out of silly stuff.

18. Takeshi

I think too it will be a release date. Seems proper too. Multiplayer or Co-op? Well, honestly, it wouldn’t seem proper for a Hitman game. I haven’t played one for more than an hour or two, but you know, ME3 and God of War MP were/looks pretty awesome.

I’m willing to have faith if it’s announced.

19. Maximum Payne

Maybe similar to Assassin creed multiplayer ?

20. absolutezero

Hopefully its the reveal that everything announced so far has been a nice big joke and actually both Jesper Kyd and David Bateson are working on the game and its actually even more open and wide and free-form and chaotic than ever.

21. ChameleonX

Please, no multiplayer.

22. Maximum Payne

@20 Actually its possible for David Bateson because they never show agent 47 to speak or anything.For Jasper Kyd is maybe to late ? Don’t know.

23. YoungZer0

@22: http://youtu.be/NWf3dPKYf1E Around 15:50.

@20: Ugh, i’m getting so tired of people who are just afraid of a little bit of change. I love Bateson and Kyd as much as the next guy but so far i don’t see any problem with neither, the new composers and the new voicactor. Matter of fact i can’t wait for the new soundtrack. Peter Peter and Peter Kyed do a very solid job.

24. Maximum Payne

@23 Yea that is one sentence :)
    But again he almost never talk.
    Its not crucial like James Mccaffrey in Max payne 3

25. absolutezero

The lack of Kyd and Bateson are the least of my worries about the newest game.

Im worried the most about most of the people that made Hitman special leaving IO and the Kane and Lynch team having anything to do with it.

That and almost everything announced and demo’d so far.

Its not that im afraid of change, im very much looking forward to Tomb Raider and Resident Evil 4 is one of the best games of all time. I get worried when change is implimented for changes sake, or to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

This is a top comment from the demo video you linked YZ :

“Lets be honest, there wasnt much dialog on the Hitman series to begin with. And if thats your excuse for not buying the game then i think its pretty lame… not to mention your boycott wont bring David Bateson back, so better start getting used to it.”

Thats a disgusting attitude to have.

26. YoungZer0

@25: Name me the people who made Hitman so special. What position did they have? Where are they now?

“Thats a disgusting attitude to have.”

What is? Getting used to change? Giving someone else a fair chance?

I don’t think so. First of all he’s right, the games were never about dialogs, most of them were pretty cringe worthy. Boycotting a videogame because of an artistic decision and especially such a small one, that – for me – is just sad.

So far i haven’t seen any bad changes. The gameplay is quicker, which is definitely needed, the whole game seems more cinematic, which i definitely like, the wall-hack mode is optional, so no complaining here.

I don’t see the problem.

The previous Hitman games were all very slow and after playing Conviction (yes, i said the c-word) i don’t see any reason why you can’t be stealthy and fast.

27. DSB

I agree with the people cheering for change. The Hitman series has needed it for ages now. It’s always been a case of “almost there” fucked up on the finish line by poor design.

I can name maybe 3 videogame voice actors, and I’ve come to just assume that any videogame music that isn’t done by Matt Uelmen is done by Jesper Kyd anyway, so that couldn’t possibly be more of a non-issue.

“DRM is a good reason to boycott a game. But nobody cares, they like to pretend they do. Get all pissed about Ubisoft and then go off to buy Diablo 3.”

Ubisoft and Battle.net is the same thing? In what universe? Steam is DRM too, but that’s not a very good reason to disregard every other consideration in judging it.

28. absolutezero

oh ok.

I guess we just enjoyed Hitman for different reasons. I never was stealthy, I was crafty and I was sadistic. I was dressed in a clown costume calling someone on the phone to shoot them in the head. I was lacing a pair of pants with cloroform to take out an FBI agent and wear his clothes. I was putting bombs in presents and leaving them amoungst a crowd of rednecks at a wedding. I was killing hundreds of people wearing santa hats in the same elevator, trying to build up the corpses as high as I could.

None of that was cinematic, or flashy, or fast.

I was not offended by the guys point that 47 does’nt really say very much, which is perfectly correct (so if he says so little why replace him?), what got me was the “Its not going to change so just put up with it”. Just roll over and accept it. Just let them shit in your mouth because theres nothing you can ever do about it. Fuck you. Buy our game. Fuck you.

Also I was refering mainly to Jacob Andersen. The game director of the previous 4 games. Theres also the bunch of people they let go last year I think, those were Hitman developers according to @superannuation might want to take that with a pinch of salt though.

Im sure theres going to be a bunch of open levels with multiple paths to chose and I’m sure everything is going to be fine. I hope everything is going to be fine. I guess what im upset about is them getting rid of something so good like Kyd’s scores and adding in something im not particularly fond of, its not change more “why would they do that?”

Also im not buying Diablo 3 due to having to sign into a server to play a single player game. Also input lag and mantience. I only have one game with the Ubi DRM and it was one game enough to make me not buy any others. I never bought Mass Effect 3 because of the online pass/Story relevant DLC. Im not trying to show off Im trying to say that not everyone that complains about a game immediatly goes out and buys it anyway.

Its odd from what I can tell alot of the people that like this new Hitman never really liked the old ones. Same kinda goes for Devil May Cry. I guess they really are making these games for an entirely new market.

29. YoungZer0

@27: Any DRM that forces me to play singleplayer online is bad drm.

@28: I also did that, going on a killing spree as a clown is fun. But i guess, we’ll just have to wait and see, let’s just not be so freaking negative all the time. I mean i give REVENGEANCE the benefit of a doubt.

Fucking REVENGEANCE.

30. DSB

Blood Money was lead by Rasmus Højengaard, same as Absolution.

@29 Fair enough.

31. absolutezero

Im a ruthlessly cynical bastard.

I can’t help myself.

32. Jerykk

I completely disagree. Each Hitman game improved upon the last, offering more open-ended level design and gameplay, along with better AI and polish in general. Blood Money was the best Hitman and easily one of the best stealth games out there. If IO had simply continued that trend and retained the core elements of the series while expanding and improving them, nobody would be complaining about change.

Absolution looks to be taking a step back, however, removing player choice and open-ended level design in favor of a more cinematic and story-driven experience. Cinematic and story-driven games aren’t exactly rare, so this change can’t really be viewed as a risk. If anything, they’re trying to cater to a larger audience comprised of people who care more about presentation than gameplay. That’s not a good change for people who care about gameplay.

Note that my opinion is based on the two levels they’ve shown to the press and public thus far. The library level was incredibly linear and scripted and from what I’ve read, the orphanage level was equally so. Now, it’s possible that these levels are not indicative of the other levels, which I certainly hope is the case. However, I have a sinking feeling that open-ended, sand-boxy levels (one of the pillars of the series) will be few and far between.