Criterion Games hiring for new arcade racer

Monday, 7th May 2012 04:53 GMT By Brenna Hillier

If there was any doubt, all signs suggest Criterion Games is back at work on what it does best – high octane racing.

Just in case you thought the specialist studio might have decided to lash out into platformers or dance games, new positions vacant at Criterion games confirm the developer is working “on the world’s number one, multi award winning, arcade racing franchise”.

The new game will feature “dynamic action sequences”, “terrifying jumps, insane crashes and epic car chases”, which sounds quite a lot like Burnout. There hasn’t been a AAA Burnout game since 2008′s Burnout Paradise, although the downloadable Burnout Crash launched last year.

Criterion was also behind the successful Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, which released in 2010 and seems primed for a sequel.

Thanks, GoNintendo.

1. tenthousandgothsonacid

In terms of sales then sadly I guess NFS is the world’s number one racing fanchise :(

I can’t see anyone making a decent 60FPS arcade racer until next-gen, and I don’t think we’ll ever see another Burnout which makes me very sad.

2. endgame

Well “the world’s number one, multi award winning, arcade racing franchise” might sound like Need for Speed but if it will feature ““dynamic action sequences”, “terrifying jumps, insane crashes and epic car chases”” than it’s definitely a new Burnout. :)) Anyway, any will be awesome. Criterion just doesn’t fail. :)

3. tenthousandgothsonacid

@2 I dunno, I thought the 30FPS NFS:HP pretty much sucked balls and was a racer anyone could have made.

But I bet it made Criterion more money than the Burnout series to date and they are a business so I fully expect another Criterion NFS this year and another two years after that.

In interviews at the time they said their new engine (developed in conjunction with Dice) could run at 60Hz but they had it at 30 Hz as NFS was all about the cars looking good and they needed the extra polygons.

Oh well…

4. endgame

@3 30 frames per second? My PC ran the game at 100+. Did you play the game on a console?

5. Maximum Payne

I really liked hot pursuit, the change of pace from street racers to the cop really makes fresh each time.

6. The_Red

Why the FUCK do they have to work on stupid NFS? I want next-gen Burnout. Burnout Revenge is still THE best arcade racer ever made IMO.

7. OlderGamer

@endgame +1

8. laxan96

I really hope it´s NFS cause I want the next Brunout as launch title for next-gen cosnoles.

BTW Burnout Paradise City still kicks ass! Can´t stop lovening it

9. Lightmanone

I so want this to be the next burnout! I was so disappointed when EA didn’t mention a new Burnout at their E3 last year. I expect allot more this year, and I hope the launch doesn’t wait too long either!

10. tenthousandgothsonacid

@8 Still loving Burnout Paradise here too. Over 4 years old and still a technical marvel

11. Lounds

Burnout 3 best Burnout Period.