Miyamoto: Vita needs more games for true success

Friday, 4th May 2012 14:01 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Shigeru Miyamoto seems impressed with the technical abilities of Vita, but he feels that in order for it to succeed, the handheld needs more available titles.

Speaking with Edge, Miyamoto said while Vita is a very “hi-spec machine [that] you can do lots of things with,” it would be a stronger product if it the “combination of software and hardware” was more robust.

“When we launched the 3DS hardware we didn’t have Super Mario 3D Land, we didn’t have Mario Kart 7, we didn’t have Kid Icarus: Uprising,” he said. “We were striving to have all of these ready for the launch, but we weren’t able to deliver them at that time.

“We were kind of hoping that people would, nevertheless, buy into the product, find 3DS hardware promising, but looking back we have to say we realise the key software was missing when we launched the hardware.”

Vita had a strong start in Japan moving 325,000 units and 600,000 in the west at launch, but sales – in Japan at least- have slumped. Since launch, the title has been outsold more times than not by PSP, PS3 and 3DS. The later hasn’t left the top spot on the Media Create charts since its price was cut in August 2011.

What Miyamoto is suggesting it seems, is like 3DS before it, in order for Vita to succeed, it needs more retail releases.

1. Erthazus

He is 100% correct. I said that for a long time.

Games keep announced for iOS or 3DS and they are still coming.

Vita on the other hand have a mediocre first and second party support and poor third party support.

P.S.: and when i say games, i mean ORIGINAL NEW GAMES, not ports or games that no one wants like Unit 13 or Resistance: Burning skies.

Ports are Not games. Ports are ports from the original games that are on the PC, 360, PS3, Wii.

Handheld is amazing, it’s much better then 3DS or any handheld device or smartphone when it comes to gaming.

2. OlderGamer

That has long been a weakness of both Sony and MS. They make hardware. “Build it and they will come”. Sure Nintendo makes harware, but they are best known for their games.

And games sell hardware.

That, of course, is why Sony has had a huge push the last few years to build their own exlcusive game franchises. And why MS pays so much for exclusive deals. The problem for Sony is that while they have their own games, mostly the Vita versions are indeed, like Erth said, ports.

Thats not going to get it done.

Its all about the games. You don’t enjoy hardware, you enjoy the games on that harware. I remember when Vita came out so many people on this site and others went proper batshit over it. And indeed it is a nice bit of hardware. But they fell in love with the plastic and not the games themselves.

Vita needs more orignal games. And a lower price point.

3. Dannybuoy

Erth, I agree with you 100%. What. Wait. Did I just say that? Was literally just saying to a guy here at work that there really aren’t any games I want to play right now. Gravity Rush can’t come quick enough.

4. RoyBrown

Miyamoto points out that games sell hardware.

Erth explains to a video game website what a game is and what a port is.

Informative post is informative.

5. KAP

wow dude, the vita has only been out for 2 months. Ermmm.. just saying..

6. _LarZen_

Bought a PSV, bought the games, played them and now….nothing.

Where is the software for this slick hardware Sony? Sony should have a big lineup of exciting games on E3 or this wil be just sad…

7. Eregol

Been saying it for ages. Vita is a great machine, but it’s lacking in killer titles, especially in the East.
    Gravity Rush finally gets a Western release next month, but I’m struggling to point to anything else of note at the moment.

8. Talkar

I just got Mortal Kombat for it at midnight, and i’m loving it even more then the PS3 version of it, due to all the extra content and features there has been slammed into this version! But yeah, i pretty much only play Rayman Origins and now Mortal Kombat on it, not much else out for it that seems interesting to me…

9. WFMMK

Now I understand why people say he’s a genius -_- Just wait till E3 Mr.Mario

10. Goffee

Mortal Kombat out today – I’m having a great time with mine!

11. DrDamn

Which begs the question why did you buy one? Wouldn’t it have been a good idea to wait for some games you did want.

“That has long been a weakness of both Sony and MS.”
    And a weakness of Nintendo with the 3DS as Miyamoto pointed out above ;)

The actual gist of his comments is that this is where the 3DS was a little while after launch and look where it is now. And it’s done that mainly off the back off a load of ports and updates to existing games, not the originality everyone is crying out for here … oh and a price cut. I think the latter was a very significant factor.

As far as games are concerned it makes sense to wait until after E3 before deciding whether there are none or nothing original. Personally I took a look at the games before I bought one and am very happy with what I have to play now and what is coming up. Stuff like EGolf, MotorstormRC and Unit 13 have been particularly impressive.

12. Da Man

In the province of mind, everything is either true or becomes true.

13. Erthazus

@11. I bought it for Uncharted:GA, Wipeout 2048, Rayman:Origins (port) just for start and i really want Gravity Rush on the Vita + New Bioshock

and i expect some RPG games on it… or something better.

Honestly, i enjoyed a lot of games on my original PSP so i bought a system for the potential to be honest.
    PS Vita is also amazing hardware in my opinion. Great processor, great touchscreen stuff, a bit crappy battery but whatever.

Gravity Rush soon. I’m pumped.

14. Fin

“I have a Vita and i have nothing to play. Absolutely nothing. Zero. There are No Games.”

“I bought it for Uncharted:GA, Wipeout 2048, Rayman:Origins”

wat

15. Erthazus

@14, i finished them when i bought at launch. After that my Vita collecting dust for about a month.

16. manamana

@12 nice one, Lilly.

17. Zana

E3 better bring some good news for Vita.

18. Christopher Jack

I’ve no problem with ports as long as it remains a quality title. In fact I’d be happier playing some current games in a more portable environment. Of course the Vita will need its own games but I don’t see anything wrong with the likes of Fifa & CoD getting a release on the device.

19. Da Man

#16, Yeah

I don’t need Lilly to know that though.

20. manamana

Well, I knew to whom it was addressed and was glad that you chose a more gentle approach than your previous efforts.

21. monkeygourmet

Have just sold mine. Made a small loss, but overall wasn’t too fussed.

I played about 5 vita games but there was absolutely nothing to hold my interest. Paying for psp games I already owned?! F**k off!!! :)

I wanted:

Journey, Dark Souls, Bioshock, Motorstorm, God of War, etc… Also PS2 games.

When these start to come out, I’ll repurchase, by which time there will have been a price drop…

I used the money to buy a Acer Revo r3700 mini PC I have installed XBMC onto! It’s getting about a million times more use than my vita did! :)

22. manamana

Now as I told in the ongoing Forum-thread I also sold mine. I got a good price so the loss wasnt high. But nonetheless I am an early adopter and was sad seeing this beautiful piece of hightech gathering dust, while I constantly play on other handhelds such as 3DS (which had an similar start but I could play my DS games on it), iOS platforms, PSP and GBA.

Nothing is wrong with waiting what Sony comes up with on E3. But really, for me its the best to buy the Vita once a couple of strong games are available, which I hoped would drop somewhat sooner. UCGA and 2048 didnt last as long as I have hoped and the other games aren’t interesting for me. And I definitely wont buy my PSP games again.

Oh well, whatever…

23. Len

Mine got nicked! :(

24. Dragon246

For the kind information of some whiners here, vita had the largest number of titles at launch for any handheld ( also more than most consoles). It has around 30 retail titles and 10-20 downloadable titles in less than 2 and half months bringing total no. to about 50. Tell me any other recent console which had this.
    Also talking about ports. EVERYONE knows that nintendo is the king of ports and rehashes.It puts everyone else to shame in that department.
    These arguments are bs.
    Still, more games will only help the system.I dont care if they are ports as long as they are good. I dont play on home consoles so ports are also new games for me. Not many people own multiple systems.
    Cannot wait for E3.

25. DLTDawnlight

That is the truth. Sony needs to learm from the mistakes of the PSP. Vita needs “original” titles. No ports, no spinoffs. Sony needs to learn that a portable is not just for being “port”-able. New IPs would be nice. That’s something Nintendo cannot or is too lazy to produce.

26. HeavyD-Love

Vita needs more games = no shit Sherlock. Here’s some critical games Vita needs by EOY 2012 imo:

Resident Evil (exclusive Vita title OR 3DS port, I’d take either)
    GTA: San Andreas Stories (folling suit of the PSP tradition)
    God of War (exclusive Vita title)
    Skate or Tony Hawk (exclusive Vita title)
    Little Big Planet (Vita exclusive already scheuduled)
    Call of Duty (vita exclusive already scheduled i believe)
    Metal Gear (drop the solid…..vita exclusive)

27. lexph3re

its funny because people say they need original titles to sell. however, contrary to belief new users dont care for things thats new they care about whats familier. obviously that goes for early adopters tend to prove the point because the titles they buy are ones they grew to love and respect. let a cod hit and watch how fast The device flies,.

What were they heavy sellers of 3ds recently? Monster hunter, kingdom hearts, mario. All familiar titles.

28. Gekidami

Did people even read past the headline, up to this part?:

Even Miyamoto admits that it takes time to build a library. Jeesh, give it time ffs, the thing hasnt been out for half a year yet and barely 3 months in the west. It was the same with the PS3, it came out late so after the first year it had “no games”. And look where we are now, its as if Microsoft & Nintendo stopped trying 3 years ago whilst Sony keeps them coming.

Stop being so short sighted is what i’m saying.

29. monkeygourmet

Don’t be silly, it had alot of average games and a few gems at launch. I know, I bought the good ones but the releases need to come monthly.

Mortal kombat, then everyone’s waiting for gravity rush and resistance. E3 will bring some new stuff but they need to take a leaf out of ninty’s book and get these games out there!

Also, Sony seem obsessed with anti piracy… Big mistake, if I could have run some emulators or homebrew on the vita to tide me over I may not have sold it…

30. ManuOtaku

I think that a price drop is more important, and a price drop on the memory cards as well, and solve the PSP games issue, if they can cope with this 3 issues, then i think even if they dont have that many games, they would do much better IMHO.

31. HeavyD-Love

@26 + $1,000,000

32. Gekidami

Oh, so the fact that it had more games at launch then most platforms doesnt matter because you think they were average. lol Sorry but why did people with such a blatant bias buy the thing in the first place? To say they’re disappointed two months after launch? You may as well have just pretended you got one for that trick.

There wont be a Vita price drop any time soon because unlike Nintendo, Sony arent selling the Vita at a criminally off-kilter production cost to retail price ratio.

33. monkeygourmet

Launch games were okay, nothing spectacular though.

Remote play? Ps1 games? Where are these features?! Come on, all these features should have been available at launch! The only things I’ve heard Sony really worrying about are removing psp games from PSN that may enable people to hack the console and turn these features on!!!

They are reverse engineering a good device and drip feeding customers features that should already be available, that’s bullshit IMO…

34. Braders06

In regards to Sony being obsessed with anti-piracy. For big name developers to be interested in making games for the Vita they need to be sure they are going to get a good return on their hard work. If the Vita is a system that allows for easy pirate copies of games, the developers would have no interest in making games for it. This is in-part the reason why the PSP died, developers saw it as a platform that was too risky to make for.

So to sum up, in Sonys mind: No piracy = More Developers = More games = More money for units sold.

35. Dragon246

@33, those features you mentioned, as good as they are, they are NOT USED by most owners. Really, did you expected that vita will destroy 3ds gaming library in just 2 months. Grow up kid.
    Food for thought, compare vita and 3ds first 2 months game library, you will know who had better games. Also it show the fact that vita is more supported by developers than 3ds was, another fact which is completely twisted by nintendogs.

36. polygem

thats obvious. Every game system needs games. I for one was very sceptical about the vita because i thought exactly this would happen. So so launch titles. Ok but not mindblowing, then a drought, then a price drop and huge killer app announcements at e3. the memory card pricing is a crime. I just upgraded to 32gb anyway. I really think some of you will prolly end up rebuying. i can always understand selling hardware you feel like not using enough. It kind of is my hobby to do this but i wanna quit it. In the end you mostly loose. I – despite all doubts- bought one a month or so ago and do not regret it. Some games are just awesome and i play on my vita almost every day. Browsers cool too. Write this on my vita atm. Needs flash though. It needs games but there are plenty already. It just launched late febuary. Play mutant blobs. It is insaneley good. Erth: i enjoy the stupidity of unit 13 and cannot wait for burning skies aaaand gravity rush….And the 10+ games sony will announce in june. They are just holding back for e3. It is obvious too.

37. manamana

@35 at least I could play a ton of DS titles on the 3DS when there where nothing to buy by that time. I felt my Vita was unused, because there was nothing of interest, at least for me. Can be a complete other story in a few months, though.

@Gekidami thing is, Sony could have learned from nintendos miserable start of the 3DS, but they didnt. Shortsighted or not, huge announcements from third party is scarce atm….

38. Gekidami

^ They did, by having one of the largest launch lines ups on a console. And considering the fact the Vita isnt even old enough to have taken part in a big event like E3 yet, there have been plenty of third party announcements.

39. manamana

^ did they? I feel like there are more games coming out for PSP than for Vita these days.

40. monkeygourmet

The 3ds had an awful launch too. It’s just Nintendo got with the program quicker than I can see Sony doing. Developers have also dropped making stuff on vita over 3ds which doesn’t look good.

If Sony are having a hard time getting the games out, why don’t they let us play ps1 games on the vita from launch and have ps2 games being converted.

They def should of learned from Nintendos mistakes as they were going to have a tougher journey from the get go

If hackers can do this in about 5 mins, why cannot Sony?! Because there to occupied with stopping the aforementioned hackers, that’s why…

41. Gekidami

^ And how quickly did Nintendo “get with the program” exactly? Just so you know, the 3DS’ first biggest game; Ocarina of Time 3D (a port no less), only came out 5 months after the console. And New Super Mario Bros. 2 took 7 months.

People really need to stop applying a double standard, if you’re going to say that Nintendo were quick when it took them 5 months to release a port, then how are Sony slow when they had Uncharted Golden Abyss at launch, and Resistance Burning Skies coming out this month on a console that only came out in the west under 3 months ago? Seriously, the old saying applies: If you go into something hating it, you’re going to hate it. Seems a lot of people made their minds up about the Vita long before it came out.

Oh and, if your next reply is going to be nothing more than stamping your feet and shouting “NO BUT!!”, dont bother. Actually backup your claims with facts please, otherwise you just look like a whiny fanboy.

42. Erthazus

@Gekidami, Stop living in the Sony world.
    No one disagree with you that system is only for about 2 months compared to 3DS that is over a year now.

But in this business Sony is late with it’s handheld and if they want to be good, they need to do a better job no matter how they started.

I will repeat myself again where i was correct: I’ve been saying this for a while, but noone wants to listen. It has a large range of technically impressive software, but nothing that people really want to play. Only Diehard Sony fans are interested in the games out now.

and that’s it. It was a poor launch line up compared to 3DS line up of games at the moment where Vita launched. Fact. Especially in Japan. that thing does not sell at all, it’s PSP GO ovr again. Another Fact.
    + games keep announced for 3DS and iOS. My favourite one is Republique (that is coming to iOS, PC and Mac). It was designed as a touch screen game from the creators of MGS4 and it’ not coming to the Vita.

Basically, i will wait only for E3 and if games will be bad, good luck to them because i’m selling my device.

43. Dragon246

@40,
    “Developers have also dropped making stuff on vita over 3ds which doesn’t look good”
    Stop making us laugh. Tell me one publisher who has gone on record to say they did so. Nintendogs just twist facts the way they want.
    To some people here who have “supposedly bought” vita and sold it for lack of games and play 3ds which has again supposedly “a lot” of games,dont try to fool others. 3ds had a games drought bigger than most current gen consoles (wii excluding- which has even a bigger drought). So stop whining and get your facts straight and back them up with some reliable source.

44. Erthazus

OH LOOK, ONE GAME announced without E3.

O.M.G.

P.S. And it’s pretty good to be honest.

45. Dragon246

One more thing, in 1 and half years, 3ds has 14 games with a metacritic score of 80+ and in 2 months vita has 9 games. So giving bs about lack of quality games on vita nintendogs.

46. Gekidami

I said that if your reply was going to be nothing but feet stamping and moaning, you neednt bother. Why did you bother?

47. Erthazus

@46, my reply was not stamping and moaning. Sorry.

If Sony wants to be successfull it should work, but for now it only does a poor job and loose 4 billion US Dollars or it is not a fact too?

P.S. and no, that game is not new… it was a flopped launch title in Japan.

48. Gekidami

-Showing that even Miyamoto admits it takes time to build a library? “Nah, that dont count because, well Nintendo have a library now! Durrrrrr.”

-Showing that it took Nintendo way longer to have decent games, and even then, the best was a port? “Nah.” * dribble*

-Showing that within a ridiculously short amount of time, the Vita has quickly caught up with higher rated games? “I’M NOT LISTENING LALALALA!!”

-Showing the reality of both platforms upcoming games? /Ignore.

Its sad because you’re not even trolling, you’re literally this dumb and dishonest.

49. Erthazus

“4 billion in taxes across all of Sonys sectors you idiot… Why am i even explaining this to you anyway? You’re clearly both too stupid and too dishonest to understand anything you dont want to believe.”

It’s you who is retarded Sony fanboy because i know that and i don’t know why you tried to explain me that or why you trying to work your ass explaining that to others. You think that people around you here in the comment section are that stupid?

Sony lost 4 billion US Dollars. It’s a fact. Taxes, sectors or not. it does not matter. Sony according to the Wiki “US$ -2.96 billion” Net Income. also Fact.

http://quote.morningstar.com/stock/s.aspx?t=SNE sony stock price is lower and lower.

“-Showing that the Vita has one of the biggest launch lineups on console? “Nah, that dont count because it didnt have as many games at launch as a console that was out or already a year and a half, hurr durr.””

Hurr durr Sony fratboy. It’s a launch lineup is for Sony DieHard stupid fans like you and in the end system does not sell very well. It’s also a fact.
    You can go to Wiki or any site and see how much this system sold in 2 months, especially in Japan.

You know, i don’t give an F about it’s huge launch line up if it consist of stupid games like Hot Shot Golf or Shitty Reality Fighters.

“Its sad because you’re not even trolling, you’re literally this dumb.”

It’s you who is dumb Sony fanboy trying to Work here for hours defending Sony for no reason at all.

My eyes see what they see. Vita has NO Games right now. It’s a Fact. If you are delusional fuck then it’s your problem. I know what i bought and i have nothing to play. Period.

I have absolutely nothing to play and games like Hot Shot Gold does not interest me. It’s hard to understand or Sony Defence Force is that retarded?

There are No Games right now on the Vita. It hurts you right?

50. Gekidami

Cool foot stamping. Your eyes see what you want them to see, much like they ignore what you want them to ignore. Enjoy your delusion, idiot.

51. manamana

Come on Gekidami, all we want to do is gaming. Thats at least my take on it. And yes, maybe they had the biggest launchlineup since evarr including all those games like Plants vs. Zombies (superb iPad game btw.) & Co. But from a certain point of view, Erthazus is right: aint nothing to play out there. If you know what I mean with “nothing”.

There are certainly games missing and they will certainly arrive. But its not as if everybody talks about how much they are gaming on the Vita. Or developers throwing their heart at it. Lets be fair, nobody hates “your” Sony product and it definitely has nothing to do with “nintendogs” like this Dragon guy isnt tired of throwing in all the time.

E3 will show and I bet Sony will put huge efforts into promoting its Vita. Hopefully that is.

52. Erthazus

Yes, i’m so delusional Gekidami and you are not. Go play Call of Duty and think that it is not a Rip Off of other masterpieces with ugly 1999 year Id Tech 3 engine.

I’m a gamer and i saw all the launch line up. It is not That impressive.

this is the list of all Playstation Vita announced Games (Not every one of them is released)

Nothing Impressive. Absolutely Nothing. So you call me delusional because well, I and other Gamers on the Planet earth don’t like their games? Their games are poor and only for DieHard Sony fans. I repeat myself third time already because your brain can’t accept the fact that NOT EVERYONE LIKES STUPID CASUAL RIP OFF’s that Sony does.
    Wipeout and Uncharted was probably the only games that were OK.

Do.You.Understand.Me? Or not? If not, then GTFO and worship your Sony alone in the dark basement with Nathan Drake figure. Don’t forget to look at the http://www.Morningstar.com and cry me a river.

Launch Lineup for PS Vita Games are not that impressive at all, especially when there are some amazing stuff for iOS, 3DS.

53. Gekidami

What do you mean by “nothing”? If you feel like you have ‘nothing’ to play, maybe you should have gotten Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention last month, or Frobisher Says! & MK last week, or wait for Resistance at the end of the month before you get Gravity Daze & Silent Hill: Book of Memories. Or maybe you should check out more of the 30-odd games that came out round launch.

If by “nothing” you mean ‘nothing you like’, well i’m sorry but developers dont sit around a table and ask what manamana really wants to play on Vita. To quote Cenk Uygur: “Its a sad day for you”. Doesnt give you the right to ignore facts and say Vita has no games at all.

54. Erthazus

Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention – Port from the PS3 (2008 game. Wow, cool a 2008 game) with additional content and it’s not really a good Tactical RPG.

Frobisher Says! – what?

Mortal Kombat – Port from PS3 and Xbox 360 with touch screen stupid mini games. Bravo.

Resistance:BS – looks like crap and Resistance games are mediocre series and everyone know that.

Gravity Daze – the only game and the last one i’m looking for. It’s good, i hope so. One Game. Cool.

Silent Hill: Book of Memories – Another port and current gen SH games suck even on consoles.

So impressive Geki. No one wants that except for DieHard Sony fans. Nothing to play. I won’t spend my time on these shitty games when Diablo III or Max Payne 3 comes out.

It’s not worth of my time but you still don’t get it do you?

55. manamana

Erthazus beat me with the post, but the names you listed are, dispite from Disgaea3, what I usually call “nothing”. Silent Hill isnt even a *real* SH. Its a Co-Op somewhat but no real horror game. So there you go – happy games for you, nothingbfor me.

Edit: well MK is a *real* game, sadly not my cup of tea.

56. Gekidami

Well in that case “Its a sad day for you”. Maybe if you send Sony your pictures, they’ll stick them on their walls and think about you whilst they make games. After all, you two are the most important people in the universe, and your opinions are absolute. Because apparently, if you dont like something, its as good as it not existing.

57. manamana

Get lost you Sonytittsucker!

58. Erthazus

No Geki, you are just Delusional Sony fanboy and that’s it. Go see a doctor or something.

59. Da Man

And you’re just a soullless idiot, and that’s it… ‘Erza’

60. Erthazus

And you are just mad Xbox, Halo TardMan and fanboy.

Go better tell everyone that you can’t mute players in Steam. Maybe you will feel better.

61. Da Man

Thank you for proving my point, again

Having a great weekend I see…. Medvedev is a mediocre president. Oh wait, it’s Putin now.. again.

it’s like talking with a bot. Oh well, at least your posts make PC nerds happy, daily.

62. Da Man

Me no speaky Engrish. Me sentence structure no.

63. Telepathic.Geometry

I think we need to chill here guys. This hobby we all share is playing great games. So in the spirit of gaming can’t we just accept that other people have opinion that we don’t share or that we are just plain wrong? Let it go my friends, let it go…

64. Ireland Michael

You guys are funny.

It’s always the same few bickering too. I didn’t even have to guess the names before entering the thread.

Man, I remember when that used to be me. Hahaha.

65. OlderGamer

Crazy. For all of the “facts” flying around. I would like to ask Gek and Dragon if they care to explain why Vita Sales have stalled?

According to your point of view, this thing should top of the charts. Why isn’t it?

Let me help you: not enough people are compeled to buy one.

That boils down to two reasons:

(ready?)

Lack of games that people want to own/play

and

a price point people are unwilling to pay.

Argue that for a bit.

You tell everyone about the amazing games line up, can you explain why the sales are low?

I have said it before, the system is impresive in its features and hardware. But the games line up is weak right now. And the price is too high. When that changes, it should be able to move more units.

I myself, am waiting for E3 to see which handheld I wanna go with. The only reason i don’t already own a 3DS is because of how impressive looking the Vita hardware is. I am giving it the benifit of the doubt, for now. But it really comes down to games. I don’t want a traveling PS3. I don’t want a PS3/console experience on the go. That seems to be very much Sonys goal. I am gonna wait a bit and see what E3 has in show.

Oh and Dragon, while you might not own multi systems, i am betting that most of us on a site like this do. For example, I own a Wii, xb360, PS3, PSP, DS, and PC. And that is just the systems with currently made games. I also own almost everything dating back to Pong(even the off stuff like Atari Jag and CD, NEO GEO, 3DO, Turbo Duo, etc). I am not a dedicated collecter, but I am a dedicated gamer, we own hardware and games. And not just stuff from one publisher. I will be owning everything with games I want to play(that I can afford, the last few years have been tougher for me).

66. Gekidami

^ Nope. I never said that the games were so amazing the console was flying off shelves, i made three points (if you bothered to read my comments, rather than make shit up):

1. The console is new and games are coming.

2. The console had a strong launch lineup compared to others.

3. It has games and there are more releasing.

Conclusion: Saying it has “no games” is unfair.

Maybe you should balance all of that typing you do with a bit of reading.

As for price, like i already said; Dont expect a price drop any time soon, because unlike Nintendo, Sony arent selling the Vita at a criminally off-kilter production cost to retail price ratio. People love cheaper stuff, and they’re hesitant to get new things unless they’re dirt cheap. Right now the best selling portable in Japan isnt the 3DS, its the PSP, and 3DS sales were on a stand still too, in till Nintendo dropped it by nearly 50%.

Oh and, just get a 3DS. You dont need to dick around, we already know where you’re going to go.

67. shogoz

who gives a fuck stop arguing stupid nerds

68. Ireland Michael

@67 This is a gaming news site. The term nerd is slighty redundant here.

69. polygem

hehehe

70. Da Man

This is a gaming news site. The term nerd is slighty redundant here.
    That’s like saying anyone who likes to play CoD is a CoD fanboy..

71. Ireland Michael

@70 Except that one is an insult and the other is not.

Do you get defensive when the air breaths, dude? Chill the fuck out. You’ll live longer.

72. monkeygourmet

Why are you defending Sony so much?! They really need to sort this situation out, it’s like they don’t even understand how the mobile gaming space works…

As I’ve said before, they seem so paranoid about piracy, they have forgot to get any games signed up for the system. It’s stuck between a rock and a hard place. All the big hitters are going to go to the 3ds first because it’s so much cheaper to produce games for it.

I don’t think you’ll see things like Resident Evil and Kingdom Hearts for a very long time and this is where Sony needs to decide what this device is actually intended for. If its for triple AAA console quality games then they should have been more prepared, especially seeing how much of a beating Nintendo took at first.

You seem to think I’m a Nintendo fanboy, I’m just a fan of technology and all gaming systems in general.

I just don’t mind admitting when I can see a company fuck up and screw it’s customers over. A lot of features have been purposefully delayed with the Vita in a bid to keep people upgrading firmware as an anti piracy measure.

I refused to keep a product where the company was more worried about piracy than providing more gaming experiences.

73. Dragon246

@65,
    You twisted what I said. I never said more games are not welcome, they definitely are.Its just that some people here are unjustifiably bashing vita for not having games ( it certainly has games, its more like the game they want ) while its out for only 2 months. It has the best software lineup for any console (especially handheld) in first 2 months. Early adopters always risk being put in this position and it happens with almost every console launch. As Geki said , saying no games is completely biased and unfair.
    Ps vita costs more than 3ds because its costlier to make. Instead of forcing sony to take a loss, people should ask ninty why it was overpricing 3ds so much.
    Also comparing 3ds and vita lineup for now is a bit unfair because of the 1 year headstart 3ds had. Still as I said earlier vita has 9 games with 80+ metacritic score in just 2 months whereas 3ds has just 14 in 1 and half years. That shows that vita has great software irrespective of what others say.
    @Oldergamer, I have psp, vita, ps3 and xbox360 and pc. I was referring that most of the people in real world (not a virtual one)have only one console.
    I would like to see where this discussion will head 6 months from now.

74. Ireland Michael

@72 So basically it’s in the exact same position as the 3DS when it launched?

This happens at the launch of almost every format. It sells tonnes at launch, then there’s little activity for the first few months until some big hitter titles are released, and then it starts to build solid momentum and a large userbase, encouraging more development.

It also takes time for the really good titles to come out. The freakin’ thing has only just launched for crying out loud. The moment a Monster Hunter title is released for this in Japan, the sales for this thing will go through the roof.

Christ, people have such short attention spans some times.

75. Da Man

#71 – Neither is an insult. It’s a matter of perspective, ‘dude’.

76. Da Man

I have no idea what made you think I was getting defensive btw.

77. monkeygourmet

I don’t recall people hacking the 3ds and enabling features on it which should have been available at launch?

Of course things take a while to pick up steam, but Sony can’t really afford to hang around at the moment. Especially at the moment in an extremely volitile handhold console space.

From my perspective, if I could have used remote play, downloaded my psp games for free, played all ps1 games and had a few ps2 re releases playable, this small drought wouldnt have bothered me.

These features are all working, it’s just Sony want to drip feed them to the market which I think is bullshit.

Hence my decision to sell before a price cut.

78. Gekidami

Why do you feel the need to bash Sony so much? It wouldnt be so bad if you had valid points, but people are saying the games that are there “dont count” because they personally dont like them, and they’re complaining because a system that only just came out doesnt have as many games as ones thats been out for a year and a half, and you’re throwing in some batshit crazy conspiracy theory about hacker, or whatever. Its retarded, this is either trolling or you’re all little crybabies jumping up and down because you cant have everything now.

79. Telepathic.Geometry

You guys, this is what you are doing. Be aware of it: http://erininjuba.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/someone-is-wrong-on-the-internet.png?w=272&h=300

80. monkeygourmet

Yep! :) but I’m at work so at least I’m getting paid to disagree with someone! ;)

81. dreamcastnews

Jesus it’s like who has the bigger knob in here…… If you like the Vita and it’s games stick with that, if you like the 3DS and it’s lineup then you know what to do…. Better still, own both of them? Of course people are going to have a preference, I personally chose the 3DS as I believe that there really isn’t any beating Nintendo when it comes to handheld consoles (My opinion, and I couldn’t give a fuck if anyone objects). I’ve owned a Nokia N-Gage and I know from this that no matter what technology you pack into a handheld – it’s the software that will make or break it and, currently Nintendo seem to have cleverly published some big names for the 3DS that in time, Sony will start doing I’m sure it takes more time to make a Vita game anyway.

Perhaps the only problem I would throw Sony’s way is their lack of foresight when it comes to the power of a handheld, the PSP was a powerful machine but it couldn’t topple the DS come the end, I can’t help that again, where they have concentrated on graphical output this could be the Vita’s greatest hurdle. Sometimes it pays just to keep it simple.

82. Dragon246

Looks like everyone is taking a sunday break. Enjoy it.

83. Ali Hayas

Handheld consoles should just die…. The mobile/iOS gaming is really proving to be fun, affordable and more fitting to play on the way than fully designed, yet watered down games. If I wanted to play Mortal Kombat, I’ll play it on my console where the graphics are good and I can see a lot on my 32 inch TV.

I don’t see myself playing a BioShock or any hardcore thing on a portable device , simply because it ain’t hardcore.

So it needs to die…

84. manamana

^ What are you talking about? Handheld consoles need to live as long as it gets! The bigger the displays and graphics, the better. No, they are here to stay. But it could be that, in the not so distant future , its not so clear what ia handheld gaming console or a portable multimedia device is. Its not as black & white as some people think, imo.

85. YoungZer0

@83: As harsh as it sounds i have to agree with Ali here. Never bought a PSP, DS or whatever. Just don’t see any point in portable gaming at all. Not even in mobile gaming to be honest. But mobile gaming makes sense. It’s cheaper and the games just get better and better. I just can’t fully enjoy a game when i’m not at home or at a friends home.

Bought the HD Collection of MGS just for Peace Walker and i’m very pissed about the pacing of this game. Everything’s cut so you can play through a mission in 5 min. That just doesn’t work when you’re playing it on a home console.

I admit i played a lot of DS games on my PC through an emulator and those games were fun. I just can’t imagine enjoying them more on a handheld. Not a chance.

Game devs should just sit down and develop these little games for PSN/XBL instead.

86. sb319

Somewhat dishonest to imply that Miyamoto’s comment on the Vita links to his (earlier, in the interview) comment about the troubled 3DS launch. The two comments were not related as part of a single thread of discussion, though you’d be hard pressed to realise that from the way VG247 presents it.

Basically what you’ve done there is taken the tiny sliver of non-answer provided by the Edge interview, run it through a thesaurus and picked a far more sensational and misleading way to paraphrase what was actually said. This is why games journalists are not real journalists.

87. polygem

@83,85:

i played super stardust and earned trophies lying under a tree in a park yesterday!

i played ocarina of time and mario kart in a hotel room after a long day at a boring conference weekend lateley – this stuff saved me!

what are u talking about?

LONG LIVES THE HANDHELD!

88. Dragon246

Handhelds should stay and they WILL stay until core gamers like people here carve for good engrossing gameplay on the go which mobiles cant provide yet. Although I feel its almost certain that next generation handhelds will definitely have call and smartphone facilities , but they must still have gaming as their main function otherwise they will lose their main customers.
    LONG LIVE PLAY!

89. polygem

maybe old news but i heard of it just today: wipeout HD/ Fury is on it´s way to vita as a DLC pack for 2048! it will be free for everyone who already owns the ps3 version….this is awesome news since i totally prefer HD/ Fury over 2048. i just started to replay it on the ps3 recently but wont continue it now. wanna play this on the vita.
    here´s just one link to back it up:

90. ManuOtaku

#66 “As for price, like i already said; Dont expect a price drop any time soon, because unlike Nintendo, Sony arent selling the Vita at a criminally off-kilter production cost to retail price ratio”

Sony arent selling the vita at a criminnally price off kilter production cost to retail price ratio, thats true, but they do with the memory cards, and for me the 3DS didnt do that either, i mean the criminally price, because nintendo is the only videogame manufacturer that depends solely on selling videogames as their only main asset, they dont have multiple divisions to coupe with the gaming department losses, like sony and microsoft do, and if the leaked manufacturing costs for the 3DS were indeed accurate, about 150$ if i dont recall wrong, then is not criminal either, becuase if you add other costs like advertisement, etc, i think we are talking aprox. of a net gain about 50$ (more or less), and that is not criminal, for a videogame company only like nintendo.

And i like to point out that vita also needs games that are exclusive to vita,and i mean that they are not found on any other system, games that use the unique vita tech, and games that are focus with a handheld mindset, not console games on a handheld, because the two are very different and the things that make a game stronger on one, it will not do it at the other, and viceversa, both types of videogames are very different, therefore the games should be different too, but that will be another topic, though.

91. Dragon246

@90,
    “if the leaked manufacturing costs for the 3DS were indeed accurate, about 150$ if i dont recall wrong, then is not criminal either, becuase if you add other costs like advertisement, etc, i think we are talking aprox. of a net gain about 50$ (more or less), and that is not criminal, for a videogame company only like nintendo.”
    Correct your facts first
    Now tell me if nintendo was doing the right thing or not.
    Also look at this-
    Now tell me if vita is expensive or not. As for memory cards, you can always buy a 4gb card and wait for price to drop, but I will admit that memory cards were overpriced. Although not nearly as criminally as 3ds was.
    “because nintendo is the only videogame manufacturer that depends solely on selling videogames as their only main asset, they dont have multiple divisions to coupe with the gaming department losses, like sony and microsoft do, ”

92. ManuOtaku

#91 “Do you think ms and sony are doing some charity work in gaming sector so they should take losses whereas ninty rips off every customer. That is double talk. MS and Sony are running businesses here and they need profits to run too.They are just like nintendo – MNCs.

They had always sold their consoles at lost in the majority of the entire lifecycle of their hardware, is not charity i know that is business, but they can coupe with that they had multiple divisions, it is a common practice in big corporations like these ones, but nintendo is different in this regard, they dont have multiple divisions, videogaming is their main and only asset for incomes.

“Correct your facts first
    Now tell me if nintendo was doing the right thing or not”

Hence the if i didnt recall wrong, that indicates some doubt, i never claim it was an undisputable fact, because iam not a machine and i never said it was the correct information, but the linked article doesnt cover all the costs involve for the final product, the one at retail, it doenst cover cost s like advertisement, assembling, packing, etc, all the non direct costs if you will, so in reality to have a real accurate number it is difficult, therefore calling the price as criminal or rip off is too much, heck even nintendo admitted is lossing money at 170$ therefore you can say 50 $ net gain, when it did lunched is not that wild guess either, and mind you is a pretty reasonable number IMHO, for a gain that is.

93. Dragon246

@92,
    “They had always sold their consoles at lost in the majority of the entire lifecycle of their hardware, is not charity i know that is business, but they can coupe with that they had multiple divisions, it is a common practice in big corporations like these ones, ”
    Like which companies? MS is swimming with cash because of xbl and sony only made losses with ps3, ps2 and ps1 were highly successful and were profitable.
    “but nintendo is different in this regard, they dont have multiple divisions, videogaming is their main and only asset for incomes.”
    You seem to give nintendo more leverage as they are “video games company only”. Well as a customer, I dont give a damn to this. Its not my fault that its a games only company, but I am not paying anything to a company which takes its customers for granted. Nostalgia factor does not work with new gamers like me and its value will only decrease in the future.
    Also if ninty is making losses on 3ds at 170$, then sony must be bleeding because of vita as it costs much more than 3ds to manufacture.