Windows 8 farewells Live ID, welcomes Microsoft Account

Wednesday, 2nd May 2012 21:00 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Microsoft has announced Windows Live will be re-branded as Microsoft Account with the release of Windows 8. The cloud services featured in the OS will be an update to the Live platform in which users will create an identity to be used across Microsoft services such as Xbox 360 to SkyDrive and more. MS is changing the service in order to implement “a truly connected experience,” which it felt Live ID didn’t live up to. The firm also stated the change should eliminate any confusion among consumers when logging into MS owned services. There’s a video explaining it more detail below. Thanks, Neowin.

1. DarkElfa

They’ve gone from suck to blow…

2. Christopher Jack

Anyone actually like Metro? I owned an Omnia 7 & while it’s smooth, it’s also pretty boring & I blame it for WP7′s lack of options, including customization & such. It makes a pretty looking feature phone, but I can’t call any WP7 device a smart phone. I’m afraid that this will simply dumb down Windows & take out all the options the powerusers touch on a daily basis.

3. Erthazus

“Anyone actually like Metro?”

It’s horrible. It’s Vista all over again.

4. DSB

I don’t think you can compare bad aestethics to bad functionality. Nothing is as bad as Vista.

It is a huge mistake though, and I think it speaks volumes of just how slow and clueless Microsoft has become.

“I know what will give us an edge, we’ll make everything square and use the word “Touchscreen” a lot!”

They need to wake up to the fact that they’re behind everybody else and and really rethink what’s needed of a company doing what they do today.

Right now Microsoft sucks, Megahard.

5. deadstoned

Metro is such an incredibly stupid idea for Windows 8. I can’t understand how they think replacing a standout desktop feature like the start menu with an interface designed solely for Touch is a good idea. I’m going to stick with Windows 7 until they fix it.

6. Christopher Jack

@5, They aren’t replacing it, it’s still there, in fact certain Win8 computers won’t even be able to access metro. Metro is really just an overlaying theme that can be changed, I’m just wondering if adding Metro will take anything away from the standard Windows we’ve all come to know.